Overdone it?

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    on what basis though? Why 12 seconds?
  • Because that results in 6:40 pace and I like round numbers.
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Thanks all.

Excellent PB, Lou, looking good for London. Incidentally I did a grand total of 0 miles warm up on Saturday as I was a bit late getting to the venue, maybe I'll be able to knock a few seconds off by warming up next time...

Muddy - hopefully good news on the shin front. Yes the sub 20 'pacer' was all over the place. Anyway she ended up with 19:03 so well under 20! The pacer was running it at his target MP or thereabouts I believe.

DT - still a solid time for what effectively was a time trial. It definitely helped having a few people around me on Saturday to keep me honest.

Pete - couple of good looking sessions last week. Have you go any races lined up?

Haven't been well for the last couple of days so no running to report. Might try a walk later.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

It's almost time to start obsessively weather watching!!

I'll be having another go at parkrun Saturday morning. Looks like my 8 and mp tomorrow will be hindered by the wind, forecast at 17mph.

I am, still none the wiser as to how to pace London. After that 5 mile where everything clicked, I thought I was in really good shape, now after sunday I feel less so.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    I'd just pace it however you thought you were planning to pace it, DT - one disappointing race doesn't mean you don't have the fitness you clearly had for the 5-miler. And actually even if you turn up on the day not quite as fit as you'd hoped, you are not a total fuckwit, so even your most optimistic pacing strategy is not going to completely mess you up if it turns out you can't quite sustain it all the way. It's not like you were planning to choose between pacing for 2:55 and pacing for 3:10. Also don't forget that I had comfortably run a 3:06 marathon several months before managing a sub-40 10k, and you've trained for a marathon, not a 10k.
  •   literatin said:
    you are not a total fuckwit
    High praise indeed ;)
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    That's actually one of the nicest things I've ever said to anyone.
  • As we are talking about DT as though he is not here, I think he likes to have a very precise plan and execute it, regardless of whether he has been out on the lash in the previous 48 hours :open_mouth:

Only joking DT, I can see where you're coming from with respect to the lingering effects of the op, but think you can safely discard the 10k on Sunday as offering any guidance, and should maybe take the 5 mile race as indicative.

I had a 6.30 am physio appointment, with more treatment. Ultrasound imaging reveals the tear is healing well. No pain and I have resumed running. I feel sodding bouncy :smile:
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017

Lit, i'm flattered by such a compliment....

Muddy is quite right though in that I like to have a solid plan and achieve it and if I don't (be it a race or training run) I then over trouble myself about it but fail to factor in heavy drinking 36 hours before, heat and heavier legs than the previous week. I've allowed myself to be convinced that the 5 miler was some sort of fluke and not indicative of fitness (which of course is bordering on fuckwit territory).

On that basis I should be looking at pacing between 6.50 and 6.55. Glad that's been resolved.

How do you get a physio appointment at 6.30?? Did you pay extra for that? I don't like seeing clients at 9am and when someone suggests a breakfast meeting at 8am I pull out the childcare card! Anyway, Im pleased that you will also seemingly be lining up in London to race Muddy.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    That sounds good muddy! Glad to hear you've joined the Bouncy Club, too.

DT- I reckon if you are a physio and you want to break into the lucrative 'people who have jobs' market, offering out-of-hours appointments is the way to go.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    DT, all the best. Will you be one of those fellas who writes splits down your arm?
    I've always thought that sort of thing must be soul destroying if it starts slipping away early. Not that it will for you, you'll smash it.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017

No, I like to do the sums as the race goes on. It is a good distraction in the latter stages. I am also looking forward to my garmin auto lapper getting more and more out of sync with the mile markers. Now that was soul destroying last year!! In the last 6 miles it was going off about 400m early. I may even turn auto lap off and do it manually at each marker.

I don't doubt it would represent a usp, though I don't think it is entirely unreasonable occasionally to have some form of appointment that means you get into work a bit late.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    I normally just leave the autolap on and press the lap button separately from time to time to bring me back into line with the mile markers. Though this year I might do it manually because I'll have more time to think about stuff like that if I am not trying as hard at the actual running.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Unless i forget, i take the autolap off completely, and just take the splits as marked on the course.
    Some may be a bit out, but it's bloody irritating if you miss it taking an autosplit, take your split off the marker, and then see a 2secs, having missed the main bit.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    That's not why I do it, though, SG, I just use the autolap until it gets too far out, then press the lap button to take out the extra and get the automatic ones back to where they should be. That's only in marathons though; normally in shorter races my autolap is after the mile markers anyway, and I often don't look at the splits until afterwards.
  • lou Diamondslou Diamonds ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Stevie G said:
    DT, all the best. Will you be one of those fellas who writes splits down your arm?
    I've always thought that sort of thing must be soul destroying if it starts slipping away early. Not that it will for you, you'll smash it.
    Not as soul destroying as setting your watch to tell you what pace to run at then have it beep at you every ten seconds for the final ten miles.
    DT - I tend to have a glass half full view of these things.  There are a myriad of reasons for a poor performance (usually a slight breeze in my case) but the only factor in a good performance is your own ability.  You can't fluke a good result.
    Good news Muddy, sounds promising.
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    ooh, unless it was a short course?  :p
  • No, DT I didn't pay extra. They start early I guess as they are close to the city centre and I suppose that allows those that work all day to get in.  I also had an appointment at 8pm last night; I've been throwing the kitchen sink at it.

I have the opposite of an 'execute the race pace perfectly' mentality; I won't have any numbers on my arm or concern myself with pace. It would be an odd feeling trying to monitor all that because I don't train that way (interferes with my inner peace :p ) and I will be like Lit, too busy concentrating on running at the business end of it  - though there is ample opportunity for distracting chat at the start of proceedings.
  • PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    Glad you are back running, muddy :)

In answer to Tommy's earlier question, I have finally plucked up the courage to enter my first ever half marathon in Victoria Park this Friday :fearful:  I have reset my garmin to do autolaps of 1 mile rather than my usual 1km so that I can check my progress against the markers.  I also know that an average pace of 7:36 will get me round in just under 100 minutes.  Other than that, I have no idea how I am going to approach this.  Will it hurt?
  • Good on you Pete. It will only hurt in the last 8 miles  ;) I can't wait to see how you get on - you've got the volume of training behind you, I'm sure you will be fine.
  • Great news Pete. For the first 10 miles you might wonder what all the fuss is about. The final 5k is the exciting bit!
  • PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    I should be fine for the first 10k!  Unknown territory after that...
  • lou Diamondslou Diamonds ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    The second 10k is usually much the same as the first 10k Pete.
    Muddy - perhaps you should write "150" on your arm.  Just in case.
    Btw do you check hr during races or do you run completely "by effort"?
    My experience is that the good races don't require much thinking about.  That bad ones are constant anxiety from the start.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    good stuff, Pete. it's a slippery slope. You'll be running London in 2 years! The first 10 miles are fine, it's the last 3. 

Lou, yes I would wholly agree with that statement. 

5 x 1k last night at a bit faster than 5k pace. Will do my 8 at MP later today then other than parkrun , I'm cutting right back. Sports massage tomorrow night which feels well needed. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    DT, evening reps, then tempo the next day? Unusual.
  • Hmm, must say I'd struggle to schedule those two so close together DT, then aim for a parkrun pb.

Lou - I've done so many training runs that come out at 150 without so much as a check of the watch, I am pretty confident about getting that feel right in the marathon. I do check the hr when running other race distances once the dust has settled after the start just to make sure the combination of fresh legs and adrenaline is not making me over enthusiastic but after that I don't really bother as I feel quite locked in to the effort. I do have autolap switched on so I get the pace alerts and can't resist having a glance if I'm not totally focused on running (again, early on). I tend to check elapsed time at the course half way mark.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I recall at the end of Droitwich that you checked your HR to find it smack on 150.

Yes it is a bit of a pain but I can't train tomorrow due to physio and work function and then I didn't want to do 8 at mp Friday with parkrun next day. I could do it sunday, however I feel I am chancing my arm too much by then.

With hindsight, I should have just done 5 miles easy last night and binned off the reps. Though 5 x 1k on a treadmill at that pace isn't all that much hard work with a solid rest interval.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Pete - long races don't hurt at all because you get to run slower. :)

DT - why not just *not* do 8 at MP? It's probably too late now to get any serious training benefit from it, so most of the point is probably just to make sure you can dial into the right pace/effort and know what it feels like. And you could get that by just going for a run and doing something like 2*1mile at MP in the middle of it, but with far less effort.
  • Yes, DT I wouldn't do the mp today, if at all.

As well as what Lit says, it's not going to give you any information about your ability to sustain that pace, as you are doing it after a hard-ish reps session. Even worse, you might find it hard to reach that pace or find that pace harder than usual. I would go with an easy run with strides, so as not to blunt you for the park run and then maybe run a couple of mp miles post parkrun (I know your time is limited) when your body is revved up.
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Stevie - I know you're looking for fast and furious 5k's and possibly ones 'up north'. Have you seen this one?

http://www.cutefruitevents.com/mid-cheshire-5k/

Pete - excellent! All the best with it, I'm sure you'll go well.

Muddy - good to see you're likely to make the London start line.

DT - what they all said.