Overdone it?

Comments

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    I think you will find it is easier for tall people as they have longer legs. That is why the tallest person holds the gold/silver/bronze cell for having an advantage. I actually hold two course records: the Midnight Sun Half Marathon in Reykjavik, and the Cupar At Christmas 5k Santa Fun Run, where I was the fastest Santa overall.
  • See what I mean T'Dan - she's started already. Clearly the TTT excludes fancy dress course records. Ignore her - see rule 3.
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    Skinny, can you post the first ever TTT?
  • You deserve some sort of virtual salute skinny. A bugle call at the very least.
  • Everyone on the blue start has to dress as a smurf. It's a fact.

Sounds like it's all come together properly DT.

Best of luck Tommy and Bob. The times are not important - we just need to know who won out of the pair of you.

8 with 3 marathon effort last night. 5.48 (down)/6.07(level)/6.20(up) which was about 15 secs per mile faster than the same session before Hull.

P&D has you doing a fair bit of running in the final week, which I think I noted last time. It is all pretty much recovery paced stuff though. Anyone following through with that ? I think I'll just get up to 20 miles and leave it there. 

Good work on the TTT Skinny over the years. Thank you very much. It's the end of an era :cry:  We'd be giving you a lifetime achievement award except it would possibly stir up a discussion on it counting on the TTT.

Well done on volunteering T'Dan. Or should it be TTT'Dan now ?
  • macemace ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Quick pop in, apologies but just a very quick skim read

I agree with Lit, tall and skinny has to be best for running. Short-legged fat fuckers like me are at a major disadvantage.

muddy - wow, that's a quick MP, i take it you are over the problems and racing on Sunday ?

Skinny - are you in/out ? and i'm not inactive on the road, I did 3M yesterday morning which brings my total for 2 weeks to , erm, 7M i think B)

I will be in London on Sunday and hoping to return home full to the brim with inspiration.

A roll call with race numbers would be nice please :)

Oh, one more thing - presumably my GFA time at VLM last year means i don't have to defer this year as i'm automatically in next year ? Can anybody confirm if my understanding is correct on that ?

And another - thanks to Skinny for his TTT work over the years and Congrats to The on the new appointment
  • Without any offer of further responsibility, i've made a few minor edits to the original TTT.
    Interestingly even then Lit would have had most of the gold cells; Clearly proving the connection between short legs and running performance.
  • Skinny Fetish FanSkinny Fetish Fan ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017

mace said:

Skinny - are you in/out ? 

That's what my wife says!  :D

Out!
  • Mace - I'm in - saw the physio yesterday lunch and did a few strides up and down the car park and he was happy with the hip balance. I was advised on technique which is a bit tricky to change at this stage but incessant clamshells are on my agenda this week. My race number is 21007. I won't have my name on my vest but likely to be wearing club vest as in the profile pic, or a lightweight bright orange vest if it looks a bit warm/wet. Feel free to give me a heckle ;) 
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Cheers Skinny! Big improvements from all of us.

Looking at the table has just reminded me that Richard is back running regularly in Hamilton NZ.

Summer League race went well last night, they moved the start back to add an extra 100 metres or so, despite this I was about 45 seconds quicker than last year with an average pace of 6:18 min/miles for the 5.1 miles, was sitting fairly comfortably at 6:07 pace after 3 miles but then the course goes along the edge of a grassy field, up a hill and then over a rutted cow field which bought the average down quit a bit.  Only slight disappointment was being 11 places down on last year (although apparently there was an additional 150 runners there this year so that probably explains that). Bob also had a good run out, finishing shortly after me and he seemed pretty pleased with his efforts.  

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Can i just throw in that it's surely better to be a midget runner, only carrying round your 6/7 stone, than having to carry 11 stone upwards? That's a huge extra weight to carry ;)
  • Not to mention the difficulties of cooling as we have disproportionately less surface area to do that through ...
  •  Could be argued that lugging all that "extra" weight around gives a bigger training benefit? A theory I'm desperately clinging onto as I seem to have gained another 8lbs in the last few weeks. :(
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I've always thought little people make better endurance runners than tall people. 

Last run this morning of 2.3 miles with strides. Followed that with a lower end of firm body massage. 

Carb loading is in full swing. Have sunk 400 of my planned 700g.
  • I ran 5m at lunchtime and it struck me as ironic that my preferred method of stress relief, as the tension mounts for Sunday, is to get out for a run.
  • Tommy - Well done on the smack-down victory.
    Six miles with strides this lunchtime, after 6 or 7 last night with 2 miles at pmp.  First mile was a bit too quick, but second miles was on pace and felt fairly easy.  Hard to tell with only two miles though.
    Muddy - I'm broadly following the plan this week.  Missing it a bit on the days when I'm not running.
    DT - I'll be starting on carb loading tomorrow (or maybe tonight with a few beers).  McF insists it should be three days, but all the advice I've read indicates that two is sufficient.  I've never measured out quantities before - is that 700g extra carbs or total including your normal daily intake?
    30266 - red and green vest as per photo above.
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Well done Tommy & Bob!

Taper madness is reaching a crescendo among the Fifis, but not me as I'm not that bothered. Saw the physio today though and although I have had a slightly sore foot recently, he is not worried about it so neither am I. Looking forward to getting drunk and eating free burgers on Sunday.
  • Yes, good work Tommy and Bob.

Lou/DT - In an effort to carb load I supplemented with a KitKat (25g) and (look away Lit) 2x bananas (50g) and thought 'that's not very many carbs is it ?' What did you eat to get 400g down DT ?
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Lou, I'm working in the 8-10 grand of cash per kilo of weight so aiming for 650 -700 at top end. that is inclusive of normal calories,bits just targetting carb sense items. 

I go for Thursday and Friday full on then start pulling back after lunch Saturday.

I've got a lot of my count from 900 ml of Orange juice and 2 luc  sports. I had toast and jam at breakfast and a pouch of microwave rice for lunch. I've then smacked a lot on rice cakes and scotch pancakes. I'll have a pasta dish then for dinner.

Sorry, I forgot to say well done to Tommy on his race last night. I'm in a self absorbed bubble for next few days. 
  • DT19 said:
    Lou, I'm working in the 8-10 grand of cash per kilo of weight 

I've then smacked a lot 

Well done Tommy - sounds like you are in good shape.

DT sounded like he was in good shape but now he is snorting 8 - 10 grand of cash worth of smack I fear his fitness may be going downhill at a crucial time!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    lol, grams of carb per kilo....
  • PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    Well done Tommy and Bob!  It would be good to read one of Bob's epic race reports again ;)

Hope you marathon runners manage to retain some sanity during taper time and that you perform as hoped in the event itself.

I would like to add my thanks to Skinny for his splendid maintenance of the TTT over the years.  A hard act for TTT'Dan (copyright muddy) to follow!  Am I the only one who would prefer to stick with the old WAVA tables?  I know it's all bollocks anyway but a higher meaningless percentage seems more impressive :)

To clarify my situation, I am not "inactive on the road" just avoiding hard efforts.  Started on blood pressure tablets yesterday and by the afternoon had a fuzzy headache and was almost nodding off on occasions.  After an excellent night's sleep, which has been rare recently, I felt much better today and went out for a trial run.  It felt slightly harder work than the low heart rate suggested it should.  However, having scrutinised the beats per km stats, it equalled my best ever run on that route :)  I haven't checked whether I'm taking a banned substance yet but it will be interesting to see how things go as I gradually increase the effort.
  • lou Diamondslou Diamonds ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    On the carbs now. Porridge, jam, a banana and the traditional beetroot juice for breakfast. Packet of hot cross buns, a couple of yoghurts and a carton of cranberry juice to supplement my usual intake at work today.
    yum yum
    I think the sniffles might be hayfever, though I have got a bit of a sore throats and a cough. We suspect eldest child has Slapped Cheek Syndrome, I might have that too; can anyone advise what impact rash causing childhood diseases can have on marathon performance?
  • Your photos will all look shit.

Sounds positive Pete - in a now obviously very ignorant way I had always thought blood pressure and heart rate were linked so am medically well out of my depth!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I stopped at 687g last night, close enough.

I feel like I have a touch of hayfever so taking appropriate steps.

Day 2 loading is always tough as already full up. 

Sounds positive, Pete.
  •  DT19 said:

I feel like I have a touch of hayfever so taking appropriate steps.
    You've got your doctor to deliver you a brown envelope containing over the counter hay fever medicine, of which he will keep no records? Hope you have a TUE for that?  ;)
  • He's getting L-Carnitine injected into the end of his penis for mo' power.