Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    Well done DT - retching and roaring or just retching?
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

The full suite of grimness, Skinny. It was awful as the finish is a 50m run over the rugby club car park and that is essentially where all the support is, and of course being the most local race I could run, plenty knew me. I was really hurting from about 6k and had an horrendous stitch from 7k. Hardest i've worked in a 10k for a while. I feel battered today and I think the effort has bought my cold out in full force.

I was listening to the radio this morning and they were interviewing the winner of the Stratford marathon-female race. Was a clubmate of Lou/mcf. She did it in 3.11 but as a training run for a 100k race in 2 weeks.

• Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    Ah yes, she's our GB ultra running queen.  The one who also won the vets prize in the Marathon des Sables. Top girl too.  She ran both London and Manchester as well I think...both as training runs.  Manchester I think she ran 3:09 with ten or so miles as a warm-up.  

DT - sounds like a good effort given still not recovered from London.  Bodes well for the summer.

Marrows - that sounds horrendous!  Can't believe she ran 4.40 with a broken leg!  Glad to hear both you and Madbee are still running.  Impressed as I'd decided it was all too hard and given up ages ago by that point.  Might be why I got really fat!  That and all the cake.  

I mostly used the running buggy for easy running but I have occasionally used it for tempo runs.  Obviously you use heart rate for the tempo section and use a slower pace than you would.  It's not optimal but it gets it done.  As Lou says I used to run the three miles to track.  Park the sleeping baby at the side and then do my session before running the three miles home.  Decent workout.  Relies on good timing of naps. I also have a running partner with a young child so we could alternate rest and the workbouts if one was fussy.  It works for a session of strides as well as you can park up anywhere and just do a few strides. And you can do buggy fartlek if your baby is a thrillseeking type. I've taken the buggy around parkrun at Leamington a few times.  One time we did a charity run where we did three or four laps of the parkrun course.  I think I took the buggy for lap two and three.  One lap I ran easy and the second I pushed it which was really a tempo run.  So lots that you can do.  When men at our club moan they can't get out running because they have a baby I look at them like this  :/ .  I know that the mother would LOVE to have an hour to themselves a few times a week.  

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    oh yes, she did say it was part of a 30 plus mile run as well. I wonder if she would have had the discipline to stick to the plan if she was challenged in the closing miles? I assume she is the one that stormed past me at around 15 miles in Ashby?
  • Options
    Rich Clark2Rich Clark2 ✭✭✭
    Well done DT, sounds like a very hard earned sub 40 and bodes well for the summer indeed!
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017

DT, interesting with the retching. Bus on my thread has the exact same issue frequently.

I can't relate, as I've never felt anything like it, so it interests me what does it. Maybe you two guys should compare notes!

completely forgotten how to tag someone in...could have sworn it was merely @ with the name after oh well!

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I've looked at various things, SG. It has eased quite a bit lately and I put that down to not looking at my watch in closing stages as I think it is some form of anxiety issue.

Yesterday however I am willing to put down to the heat and the effort I put in. 
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    DT - Sounds like a pretty grim finale but well done

Skinny will be happy to hear that after a few weeks of supposedly casual running ( in reality it's been like flogging myself to death ), the HRM has a new battery and is back in use - last night i managed 7 miles @ 9:01/M at average HR of 140bpm giving about 1240 beats per mile B) . To put this into context, at my fittest i'd do the same run at 7:40/M at an average of 125 bpm and about 950 beats per mile.

It's going to be a long road back :(
  • Options
    How's the weight fat boy?

I'm not sure my foot is healing quite as well as it should be and so I'm a bit pissed off at the moment. I'm not really helping it by walking to work (I broke my bike), playing golf and doing lots of walks round lakes but it's keeping me sane.
  • Options
    TheDanTheDan ✭✭✭

maybe ime to invest in a micro scooter then skinny, that'll keep you moving!

Thanks McF thats really useful, fortunately mini thedan seems to really enjoy it (he particually likes shouting so his voice undulates when we go over uneven surfaces) but i'm keeping to around 30 min or so until he gets a little more used to it

• Options
    Nice 5k Lit and well done on the RetchGrove 10k DT.

Marrows, your sister is as hard as nails.

Mace - You'll be back cruising before long *doffs hat at beats per mile metrics*

I am still not running (but maintaining a marathon training appetite) and continuing to follow the rehab protocol for the gluteal tendinopathy. This disallows walking so I am hovering my son to school most mornings, and cheating a bit by using the elliptical in a minor way at lunchtimes.  Next physio meeting is a week tomorrow where hopefully I can be allowed to be more active. Ironically I took out a health insurance policy that rewards activity a few weeks ago and have gained sod all in terms of discounts.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

well done, Mace. You just need to establish the habit and before you know it you'll be planning a sub 3 at London again.

Hopefully you'll be up and running again soon, Muddy.

Sorry to hear about the continued grief from the foot, Skinny.

I am still very much in the stranglehold of a cold, which will hopefully run its course very soon. 5 Miles at lunchtime was not as easy a sit should have been due to the cold and heavy legs from sunday.

I am off to the cycling tour gp event tonight being held quite locally via corporate hospitality, which includes a 'bottomless open bar' and street food. Bit risky for  a Tuesday night, but it finishes at 9 so can't do too much damage.

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Skinny

1)
    I haven't weighed myself since the 13-12 ( which The appears to have missed .. can't get the staff, wouldn't have happened in your day etc etc .... ) Still fat though B)

2)
    Bikes are bastards - i have 5 of the feckers broken in my shed/garden at the moment. My kids are constantly coming home with things detached/snapped/punctured/not working on theirs. I've finally given in and will be repairing them this weekend having told them no more repairs/maintenance until they look after their things properly. Not the one that belongs to a freind of theirs though, who they kindly offered for him to leave it at ours about 3 weeks ago  :D  ... this is turning into a rant so i'll stop now !!

Sorry to hear the foot isn't too good

hope you're earning reward points soon, muddy
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

5 mile run yesterday lunchtime was hard work following sunday. Sufferfest time trial awaits this lunchtime at the gym.

I still cant quite bring myself to enter Summer/Autumn races just yet, in particular the Birmingham Marathon.

I am however eyeing these up, though I am told that they will retail for £200!

https://www.runnersworld.co.uk/first-look-nike-zoom-vaporfly-4

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    I used to retch at the end of races, but now I clearly just don't try as hard. My coach reckons this is because I am 'too sensible'.

Like Mace, I am also trying to get back to racing weight. It's going okay and I reckon in about 3 weeks I'll be able to wear all my smallest summer clothes again, just in case we have any summer in Fife this year. Today I ate loads of cake but it didn't matter because I set out to run 10 miles to work and then realised I had forgotten my bike keys (left bike at office yesterday) and had to go back for them, bringing the total up to 13 miles. Which is more like marathon training for a Wednesday morning than it is like 5k/10k summer training, but was very beautiful anyway.
  • Options
    Well done DT - One to tick off on the (better get a) bucket list.
    Bad news from Muddy and Skinny.  Really disappointed to hear that the injuries appear to be quite serious. 
    Mace - bikes are causing me 'bad parent' anxiety at the moment.  Middle child is almost six and still can't ride a bike without stabilisers. I feel like I'm failing in my dad duties.  Eldest just seem to figure it out by himself when he was about 3.
    I'm running ok, but calves always feel like they've had a bit of a battering after each run - I've not been stretching though so they might have tightened up after the marathon.  Perhaps.
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Please start stretching your calves Lou - we don't want to add you to the list of injuries! I blame my chronic achilles tendonitis on too much cross country in spikes too soon after Chester, i.e. letting my calves get really really tight...
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Cripes what a roll call of problems! I wish you all swift healing and a return to top levels.

last comment on the retching, before I bewgar off, it can't just be about intensity, as In the past ive set off or finished insanely and no prospect of one. Dizziness, lying on the floor, by all means, but never close to a retch.

Retching reminds me of being sick, like dry heaving, where you've absolutely puked yourself out, but the body suggests there's more to come.

erm..I really shouldn't be writing such things when trying to eat, so erm, I wish you all well. 

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    Lou - mine all learnt at different ages,  I wouldn't stress about it. Mrs Mace still isn't confident on a bike and she's 41 ... her Dad doesn't give a shit  ;) Get a foam roller on the calfs .. ( calves ? ) ... Lit ? :)

Lit - more like 3 years for me !!

Can't remember retching at all but at the finish of my HM pb I briefly passed out and if it wasn't for a club mate and a steward ( who both caught me ) i'd have flattened the goody-bag table.

Talking of problems, my PF seems to be staying away ( i have been doing some calf stretches as recommended by the podiatrist ) but the problem with the gout-like thing in my other foot has returned. So i went to the quack today and he's referred me for an x-ray and some blood tests ( for uric acid ). He said my symptoms aren't typically those of gout but he couldn't rule it out so i'll have to wait and see.
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    DT19 said:
    I am however eyeing these up, though I am told that they will retail for £200!

https://www.runnersworld.co.uk/first-look-nike-zoom-vaporfly-4

£200 !!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    But mace, I only need to improve by 2.6% to go sub 3. These alone give me 4%.......
  • Options
    TheDanTheDan ✭✭✭
    for £200 I'd expect them to run it for you!
  • Options
    McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    Wait for the sales.  

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    SG - I assume the retching is something to do with adrenaline, which is similar to DT's observation that it's psychological, as it only ever affected me at the very end of a race too. I managed to mostly get rid of it by cutting out pre-race caffeine (which stimulates adrenaline production even more), but did get it a couple of times even with no caffeine. However, I never produced any actual vomit, so that's a plus.

I nearly pissed myself after a race once, when trying very hard, however. Luckily my bladder was empty.

Lou - I actually didn't get my first bike till I was 10 and it took me ages to learn to ride it (past the age for being fearless) and I am still annoyed about my dad pretending he wasn't going to let go, but I got there in the end.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

My son has just turned 7 and can't ride without them. My wife gets rather tense about all these things. My attitude is a little more laid back,. When ever she raises any issue (such as my nearly 4 year old daughter still having bedtime milk in a bottle) I suggest she considers how many grown adults she notices doing this. To be fair to my son, it is our failure in terms of setting aside time as opposed to any developmental issue with him.

SG/Lit- The one thing I always noted was that when I reviewed my stats post race, there would be a huge spike in my HR in the final 400m, despite my effort not changing. I have found that looking at my watch or seeing a clock in the distance present a degree of anxiety and since I have stopped looking at my watch in the final stages I have noted an improvement!

MCF- They don't get released until June. I will be waiting a good year to get them reduced and I am not that patient.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    My bike issue was that 10 was obviously far too old to put stabilisers onto my first bike, so I just had to learn without, which was terrifying as obviously the bike was quite large by that age. Also I *told* my dad I would fall off if he let go and then he secretly did let go and then I did fall off, which just goes to show I knew what I was talking about.
  • Options
    Beware stretching is not always the answer with tendon issues - I was tight around the hips and glutes for ages and was stretching diligently. My physio was at extreme pains to tell me NOT to stretch. The issue with me was lack of capacity in the attached muscle causing extreme loading of the tendon. Until that muscle is strengthened, and the tendon healed, stretching the damaged tendon with damaged fibres is going to do more harm than good.

My son is not arsed about bikes. I have bought two and he won't ride or learn to ride them, even with stabilisers. The last outing was met with enthusiasm and I thought it was all go - I bought a snazzy Avengers bike helmet and everything. Still no dice.  Scooters are alright though they annoy me as I end up having to carry it and it swings round and hits me in the shins.
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Good point Muddy - mine was the opposite problem: no tendon damage and strong muscles, but absolutely rubbish mobility in ankles, hips and pretty much everywhere else!
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    DT - no way on earth would i pay £200 for a pair of any shoes. As i've said before, another 10M a week of easy running will likely get you that 2.6%.

• Options
    mace said:
    DT - no way on earth would i pay £200 for a pair of any shoes. As i've said before, another 10M a week of easy running will likely get you that 2.6%.

If you replace your shoes after every 500 miles and you pay £100 for a pair of shoes that might end up as a zero sum situation.