Overdone it?

Comments

• Updated TTT to reflect the following:-

T'Dan announcing he exists by running a 3 minute 10k PB which not only gets him reinstated but also leap frogs him over Pete and improves his WAVA.

DT getting an fully evidenced individual prize, running a massive 5k PB which is confirmed officially as one second slower than his reported time, improving his WAVA and also getting thinner.

Lit getting an individual prize in a Track race and requiring an entry in the Track Stats taking the silver cell off Tommy although losing out on a sub 19 time by the vicious quirks of the TTT rounding system. I only started that bastard track stats sheet for Bob then he went AWOL.

Tommy and Mace getting older.

Well done all. 
  • What??? Surely the only advantage of doing a track race is you get decimal places!

Been a bit busy recently. Looks like some good running going on though, esp DT's parkrun PB.  B) Though even that is not as triumphant as me passing my driving test with no faults. Tomorrow I am going car shopping.
  • literatin said:
    What??? Surely the only advantage of doing a track race is you get decimal places!
     :D  >:) You sound like Bob!

literatin said:

Though even that is not as triumphant as me passing my driving test with no faults. Tomorrow I am going car shopping.
    Well done - now you can get slobbish and lazy like the rest of us. What kind of car are you getting?
  • muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I had a parkrun first finisher a fortnight ago and a vets prize for 10k MT in early August, Skinny..

Cross post: Congratulations on the driving test Lit.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Thanks, Skinny. I am hoping to have something else for you to update next week. Gunning for Maces half mara silver cell!

Congrats on the driving test, Lit. Within 6 months you will be driving places you currently walk, such as the local shop and wondering how you ever managed without a car!

Wellington to MK....contrasting locations, Richard!

• I had a parkrun first finisher a fortnight ago and a vets prize for 10k MT in early August, Skinny..
    Oops sorry - corrected updated table attached.
  • DT19 said:

Thanks, Skinny. I am hoping to have something else for you to update next week. Gunning for Maces half mara silver cell!

I don't want to disincentivise you DT but I have Rich, Marrows and Richard all on a reinstatement waiting list at which point Mace would get promoted. Of course if they all get reinstated then you would get promoted too. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    OK, skinny, so here is the plan.... I will post my time promptly next Sunday (if it has gone well) and you make yourself available around midday to deliver an immediate TTT update simply adding my time and any collateral gains. Then perhaps in a further 7-14 days you republish the TTT adding Rich, Marrows and Richard on. Deal?
  • I'm pretty happy with the second part of that plan - let's see if you can finally break 1:25 first then I might spring into action - your impressive parkrun PB this weekend jolted me into an update today.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I'm mainly interested in the first half.... I shall be very annoyed if I spend all September racing halfs and fail to break 85.
  • Well done DT, you've just guaranteed that September will be plagued with freak weather. 

Thanks for the updated update Skinny.

Good luck with the move Richard. Did you decide to do Birmingham half too?
  • Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    DT with your shiny new 5k PB, impressive recent long run and increased mileage do you think sub 3 might be a goer?
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Mr v, I'll have a better idea after Sunday's half. I guess I'm 30 seconds faster over 5k in my biggest training week and I've done very little 5k based sessions to suggest I'll only see gains in that distance. My training has been focussed on a marathon so I should see at least equal gains at that distance......in theory. 
  • RAH45 said:

Skinny - hope you have good news next week.  
    My MRI scan shows there is nothing wrong with my foot.

So off for a run tonight and then if it hurts a lot still then there is going to be a lot of head scratching.

I have an appointment at a Podiatrist for a full gait analysis on 12th so that would be the next step if I'm still crocked.
  • Hope it goes well skinny. You expect modern medicine to be able to explain these things - very frustrating I imagine.
    dt - with the increased mileage would you say you are still following the same high intensity/low mileage plan, in spirit at least?
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Skinny, whilst the mystery remains, that's a lot of problamatic possibilities ruled out.

Lou, yes and no. I still do 2 x cross train, the weekly intervals and tempo session and use the pace tables. I do the long run but pay no attention to the pacing for those to enable me to do an additional 10-12 miler. That is the main deviation from it. 
  • PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    My MRI scan shows there is nothing wrong with my foot.

So off for a run tonight and then if it hurts a lot still then there is going to be a lot of head scratching.

I have an appointment at a Podiatrist for a full gait analysis on 12th so that would be the next step if I'm still crocked.
     Surely, unless you have had a miracle cure, the MRI scan just failed to show what is wrong with your foot.  Pedantry aside, that's good news, Skinny, I think!  Hope this evening's run supports the miracle cure theory :)
  • I ran 2 miles last night - it didn't hurt. It doesn't hurt this morning. I'll try the same Sunday.

I agree DT that the MRI showing nothing is good news as it rules out a lot of problematic things that I definitely didn't want wrong with my foot. Even if I can't continue running I don't want to have an arthritic foot so good news.

Good luck in your half on Sunday.
  • That sounds promising, Skinny, fingers crossed!

Run well on Sunday, DT.  You seem to be the only thread regular who is fully race fit at the moment!
  • hope the foot is ok skinny, nothing worse than an issue that you can't see easily.

Just checked my yearly mileage and I've just cruised past last years total with 4 months to spare, I think this is the first time I've had a fully injury free spring/summer, lets hope I can continue the run through autumn/winter too!

• muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Good luck DT.

Fingers crossed Skinny. The beer and pasty cure is perhaps what has eluded the medical profession so far. 

How's the recovery from the epic Peaks run Lou?

I will be at Kenilworth half on Sunday, just attempting to get used to running at half marathon effort. No great expectations as I've done a lot of swimming and ate a lot of hot dogs and ice cream this week. No running so far but maybe will bimble at lunchtime. 
  • Mr VMr V ✭✭✭

Skinny – fingers crossed the recovery starts here.

Muddy – Good luck on Sunday. Is it a decent course?

I’m doing a half a week on Sunday with the main purpose of working out what my marathon target should be.  Anyone got any ideas what kind of time I need to be looking at if I’m going to do sub 3? 

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017

Mr v, I assume you mean the kind of time to have realistic sub 3 ambitions? I have come across plenty with a 1.25 half who have done it and I am sure Lit would consider herself in sub 3 shape with even a 1.26.

The Fetcheveryone calculator for a man states a 1.22.05 to go 2.59.59. It all depends on how well you convert up which comes down to training bias ultimately. I think I would want in the region of 1.23.30 to confidently have a stab at it.

Good luck at Kenilworth, Muddy.

• Mr V - It's mildly undulating - I wouldn't say it's fast but it's not especially difficult either.

Are you running the half full tilt ? Or at marathon effort ? I was in roughly 1.18 half shape when I ran 1.23.30 at marathon effort over 13.1 (so a 2.47 mara in theory). By the time London came around I'd had nearly 3 weeks of downtime and lost a bit aerobically, then had troubles in the race itself to finish in 2.51 roughly. That suggests to me that if you can run a 1.22/1.23 half and then have a good lead in to the marathon, you'd have plenty of leeway for sub 3. McMillan reckons around 1.26 for the half can convert to sub 3 though I think DT has been hovering around that for the half and has been short by a few minutes.

• DT19 said:

Mr v, I assume you mean the kind of time to have realistic sub 3 ambitions? I have come across plenty with a 1.25 half who have done it and I am sure Lit would consider herself in sub 3 shape with even a 1.26.

Yes I would, as I ran 1:26 and 2:58 in spring last year. It was quite hard work though. When I had recently done a 1:25 half I ran a 2:56 much more comfortably.
  • Mr VMr V ✭✭✭

DT – Yep that’s what I meant. I think as it’s my first one I’m not anticipating converting particularly well.

Muddy – It will be full tilt more or less. Though as I’m likely to be well short of PB form I’ll try and avoid going to the well.  Given its 4 weeks out and I’ll need to recover a bit afterwards I suppose I’ll need to judge it carefully so  don’t lose fitness but still taper properly.

I think 1.22/23 should be realistic so hopefully that would put me there or thereabouts. 

• Good news skinny.
    Mr V - last year I ran 1:23:48/3:00:40
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    but hopefully Mr V wont have poo time to factor in.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    1.24.23 on watch.......slightly disappointed in a sense as felt I could have gone sub 84. Cobditions weren't brilliant though.
  • Yes, avoid a potty penalty, Mr V and you should be ok.

Hard luck DT, but still a pretty good run. Magic daps not magic ? I thought conditions were fair to middling. A bit of wind and rain but nice and cool with it.  I ran 1.21.02 roughly at Kenilworth. That was 13.1@154 bpm this year versus 13.1@151 bpm last year for 1.26.11, so I'm clearly in decent aerobic shape. However I couldn't quite get up to my normal half effort level around 160-163 bpm but I think that'll come over the next 6 weeks.