Overdone it?

Comments

• Good run last night Tommy - the warm weather training has clearly done you good.

35 miles up for the week so far, all very easy work. Nothing much of note except a wasp got trapped in my clavicle and stung me on my neck which well and truly messed up my hr stats. With a bit of luck I'll be able to break 50 for the week and I think I'll try to integrate some marathon effort into my long run on Sunday evening, to break the easy streak.
  • Cheers muddy, couple of miles easy followed by 8 at around MP and it felt about the right effort level (talking to my mate all the way round). Planning on doing a fair few midweek medium long runs with a decent chunk of the run at MP in my build up to Antwerp.

No running for me today but will go to a hilly parkrun tomorrow and then try for a longer run on Sunday.

Good luck to anyone racing or parkrunning this weekend

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I'm still running in shorts and t'shirts. This is the furthest into autum ive managed to do that.

Had a pretty intense week with 8 x 400 vo2 session Tuesday, then I attempted an LT session yesterday morning, aiming for 5k at around 6.18. Unfortunately I drank a bottle of wine Wednesday night and this didn't help. I crashed quite badly in the second half coming in at 6.25 pace and 19.57 for the session. At least I know I can drink and still sub 20 parkrun!

As I'm away this weekend I had to cram so 6 miles at long tempo at lunchtime. This is something faster than mp but slower than hmp. Came out 6.38mm average and felt quite pleasant and comfortable compared to sundays race and the 2 other sessions this week.

Need to watch them wasps at this time of year as they get very confused and angry!

• macemace ✭✭✭
    Watcha Tommy :-)

muddy I'd say that sounds painful but having never been stung by a wasp or a bee I don't feel qualified to comment 

DT, I occasionally wear a hoody for a short jog or a wind jacket on a
    long one ( like this evening ) but it's t-shirt all the way for me usually. And ALWAYS shorts although I did go through a phase as a newbie of wearing tracksters.

Well the streak almost ended today then my wife reminded me at about 3pm that we were out tonight so I did 14 miles rather than have to do
    it tomorrow with a hangover. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Mace, yes I bought some running leggings a few years ago but didn't get on with them so just wear shorts all year. I'm usually in a long sleeved t shirt by now and then when it gets properly cold I wear a compression top. 

No running since Friday, just some gym classes Saturday and rest today. 

Back to it tomorrow and contemplating a parkrun Saturday as not done one since my pb in August. It'd be nice to consolidate at sub 19 as opposed to pb being some fluke one off!
  • Well I went out in tights, base layer with polo neck, beanie and gloves for my long run this evening. Although it was cold out, I was feeling too warm in all that get up. It was pretty windy too so I was struggling a bit on the backend of the run,  I see the news is predicting an ice age over the next few weeks because of La Niña ... 

I witnessed a Starsky and Hutch style car chase around me as I ran through a leafy bit of Edgbaston, complete with a nose to nose bit where one car reversed down the road at high speed with the other one facing it before handbrake turning on the corner where I was making a WTF!? face. Mean streets.

I’ll be parkrunning this weekend DT - probably Cannon Hill as its closest to home and I have to be back, showered and on the road for 10am.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Is that the daily express, Muddy....they love a weather based exclusive!

The excitement of living in the big city!

If I go I'll head over to try out the pitchcroft one in Worcester, given I run round there most lunchtimes. It would be useful to know the exact route. Also I can park at work and run to start as a warm up so time and cost effective, particularly with Canon hills new charges. 

• macemace ✭✭✭
    A friend of mine has been doing parkrun for about a year now ( nothing else ) and has decided to up his game and entered Brighton Marathon !!

I mentioned I was building up for London and he was surprised, saying the plan he'll be doing is 16 weeks so he won't have to start until xmas. 

I think he may struggle on the day 

The streak finally comes to an end at a whopping 17 days due to a combination of a hangover and a bitterly cold wind ... hardcore me !!!!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Mace, I see it all the time on parkrun facebook pages. People egging new runners on to progress to marathon as fast as possible because they did it and they were fine. They might have been fine but the haven't got any faster. I give up trying to persuade people that there's no rush!

• Afternoon.

Good to see DT, mace and Muddy ticking along nicely. Hopefully others are too.

Made it to the inaugural Eden Project parkrun on Saturday. Great setting for a parkrun! A fairly insane downhill first km, then essentially three loops of the main area finishing in front of the biospheres.  As it's laps the course includes three fairly significant climbs at the start of each loop and by the thid lap there's plenty of overtaking to be done. Pretty pleased to finish in 19:37, although I think the course is a bit short, and narrowly avoided getting beaten by a 10 year old boy.

DT - hope you've calmed down and managed to find an alternative venue for today's session!  

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Tommy, no I was left annoyed and frustrated. Fortunately I had a small window of time before child pick-up which was sufficient for my 5 x 800m session.

Sounds like you remain in decent shape, Tommy.

• Glad you managed to get the session completed in the end.

I attempted my first session in a long time last night; 8*800m (well technically 8*0.5m measured on the watch) off 90 second recoveries. Wasn't really sure what pace to target so decided to try and stick with my mate who is a little bit quicker than me and see what happened. Reps came out between 2:49 and 2:58 which is between 5:38-5:50 min/mile with an average of ~5:45 min/mile, which is a fair bit quicker than my 5k PB pace, which is encouraging I guess. Watch was telling me my HR was at about 188-189 on the reps against a previously recorded high of 197, not really sure what that means (Muddy/DT or other heart rate fans any ideas?).

Will keep ticking along with mainly easy miles but throwing in the odd session now and again. Will probably run a XC race at the beginning of December and maybe the odd parkrun.

• Good parkrunning Tommy and those are very fast reps. Interval peak heart rates are neither here nor there for me (not that I do intervals much). There is a bit of a lag in the heart rate climbing and as it is a short period of time it doesn't tend to reach a stable value. If I do run intervals, I only look at how long it takes to get down to recovery heart rate and the intervals are run off perceived effort. A good sign that the intervals are sustainable is equal time to recovery heart rate between each one. But depending on the session aim you may want to not get to recovery heart rate, and instead work on running fast while lactate clearing. Also if it's an optical device they can be erratic.

Bog standard 10k at marathon effort for me last night, averaged 6.23 min/mile with some decent hills round a two mile loop, with my slippy trainers on (stuck in traffic so headed direct to club session from work and had to run in my gym gear). I felt pretty fresh this morning which is a good sign, as normally that kind of session would leave me with a few aches.
  • macemace ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Nice Tommy - I can't imagine anything in the 6's let alone 5's

Likewise muddy

Plugging away here, and starting to feel like i might be getting somewhere at long last. No longer squeeeeeeeezing into my running gear and I'm even beginning to think about eating/drinking more sensibly !!

Perhaps in another couple of weeks i'll start thinking about upping the effort.
  • Cheers muddy. Have just checked my heart rate on the recoveries and each time it returned to between 142 and 144, which I think is in the recovery zone. and in any case I suppose it's good that it returned to the same point over the duration of the session.

mace - sounding good. Tempted to try a parkrun any time soon? 

Have been in touch with Bob recently, hoping to catch up with him at a parkrun or an interval session in the next couple of weeks.

• MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭
    Hi!  I ran yesterday :smiley: It was slow, and it was only 4 miles, but it was a start.   
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Hi Madbee!! I don't think you'll take very long to get back into the swing as you seemed pretty active going by strava right through the entire late stages.

Sounds like a good session, Tommy and very similar to mine on Tuesday in terms of pace and recovery, albeit mine was on the treadmill. I have had a few exchanges with Bob also, on garmin connect. He did promise me he would pop back in here.....

Looks like you are building some decent momentum, Mace. I recall when I overhauled my training etc about 2.5 years ago, there was this domino effect after a tough initial 4 weeks where I started losing weight, which prompted me to eat better and sleep better etc. I sort of got to the point where lots of things started happening at once.

I did Tuesdays aborted session today and it remains a shame I couldn't have done it Tuesday. Weather was worse today with rain commencing at midday. The wind speed was also much higher (though still relatively low) and my legs and body were much less up for it after a few days training. 7 miles today came out 6.45 for 163 bpm. I made the wrong directional choice so had headwind x 4 and tailwind x 3 and that is noticeable in splits. Last week 6 at 6.38 came out at 165, so whilst I had some drift in hr that would have taken me close to that pace. I just felt very listless and like a move to the next gear was not there. I suspect I am harbouring something as I have been a bit groggy and snotty this week and feeling tired despite having plenty of sleep etc.

Recovery run tomorrow then hopefully parkrun Saturday. If I don't do parkrun then I will have to go out on my own and run 3 miles at 6.10 pace so I hope I get there!

• macemace ✭✭✭
    Well done madbee  :)

I did 17 miles this morning which was reasonably comfortable but started to feel it a little bit towards the end in the hammies which is probably not surprising as part of a 51 mile week. 

Happy Sunday everyone 
  • Tommy, I think my watch regards 50% of max as recovery, so that comes out around 90 bpm for me.

Congrats and hope you enjoyed your return to running Madbee.

Nice long run Mace, 17 miles is proper mara training territory in my world. I did 14m this morning, absolutely lovely weather.

Yesterday’s parkrun, however,  was miserably cold and wet and yielded a course best time of 17.09 (watch had 17.08 with generous start and finish button pressing allowances... parkrun fairies etc.). I didn’t feel like I gave it everything so if I can find an opportunity on a fast flat course I think I’ll have a crack at my 5k pb before the year is out.
  • Impressive long run, mace.  I did 18km today and that felt plenty long enough!
    Tremendous run, muddy!  3-1-5 5k at Lancaster on Dec 16th looks perfect for you :)
  • Good idea Pete, but it's a fair trek for a 5k. Although I will be up there on the 3rd for the half,  it doesn't seem so far to travel in that case :) I may have a flying visit to see family in Hull that weekend of the 16th where the parkrun is a good one coincidentally. ;) 

Madbee - Numbskull here totally forgot about the Brass Monkey entry. If anyone at your club drops out or can't make it, I am extremely willing to bite their hands off for their entry. 
  • Hi Madbee! Hope you enjoyed the run.

Good long running mace, Pete and Muddy. Quality parkrun too from muddy. I'm also planning a parkrun PB attempt before the end of the year.

I managed a medium longish run of 10.5 miles today which after going to the rugby at Twickenham yesterday I was more than happy with. 42 miles for the week which is getting towards where I want to be for the start of marathon training.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

well done on the parkrun, Muddy. Looks like sub 17 beckons!

That's decent mileage and long running, Mace.

Well done on the long kms, Pete.

Much like Tommy, I spent Saturday drinking down in Bristol. Forced myself out then yesterday afternoon for a pretty uncomfortable 13 to take me over 40 for the first week in some time. I didn't make parkrun in the end. I woke up on the small hours of Saturday with ears throbbing and bunged up throat. Was then awake for quite a while. Went out and did an easy 8 miles instead.

Hopefully I can stick at around 40 miles a week until mara training starts again.

• Good effort on the long run, DT. I feel your pain.

First run with club in a few weeks last night. As usual the pace got ramped up towards the end, normally I stay well away from it but fancied getting involved for a change so stuck to the front. Was good fun but don't think I'll be making it a regular thing.

Did anyone see the dog assisted 12:23 parkrun at Kingsbury Water on Saturday? Parkrun IT system can't cope with sub 13 so he's recorded as 13:00. Have some of that Bekele. He's a 15 minute 5k man normally, but I was surprised how much of a difference having the dog made. Lady in second (a v40) with a 16 minuter, giving her a nice 99.3% WAVA, also dog assisted.     

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Has to be done Tommy. I have been getting a little edgy looking at the social commitments we have and the fact I hadn't run beyond 10 miles since Brum mara, together with the fact that before I know I will be needing to run 20 milers again.

That is incredible, Tommy. Just looked at the results and it is now corrected to 12.24 so a world record of sorts! I'm not sure that if I attached myself to a dog I could run a sub 17 parkrun. That sort of pace around a park must have been a little edgy at times as well!

4 miles at mid tempo this morning, another failed session. Target was 6.25. I was huffing and puffing in my warm up at 8.30am which isn't my favourite running time of day. By 400m I couldn't get near the right pace. Came out 6.38 average for 165 hr so more like a long tempo run. HR stats (normally 170 ish for mid tempo) suggest I had the pace in me, I just couldn't unlock it.

• It was quite warm this morning too DT - when I woke up I thought I'd fallen asleep with the heating on again.

I wonder what the canicross world record is ? My google fu fails.
  • Tried to find the world canicross record but only found statements like 'typically run at speeds of up to 50 km/hr' and also notes about how the courses aren't accurately measured etc.

Hard luck with the session, DT. Although it sounds quite tough to me - 4 miles at ~HMP?

Hopefully catching up with Bob tonight for some mile reps along the Trent.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    4 miles at hmp should surely be quite easy??
  • I guess it depends on the individual, I personally would find 4 miles at HMP quite a tough session.

I seem to recall a discussion about this a few years ago on the thread and Stevie telling Skinny that the most he'd ever do at HMP would be 6 miles but that would be broken down into something like 3*2 miles or possibly 2*3 miles.

Caught up with Bob last night for some mile reps along the embankment of the Trent, which was particularly windy. The rest of the group were doing 5*1 mile at 10k pace off 2 mins recovery, however Bob and I converted this to 3*1 mile at 5k pace. Annoyingly my watch ran out of battery on the first rep, however, based on the times of the reps of the people just ahead and just behind me they came out just under 6 minutes for each one. Will try and do another session like this next week and then commit to an all out parkrun soon. Great to see Bob again and I'd say he is definitely coming back in to form and is enjoying being back running again.  

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Good session, Tommy.

I've done 6 at hmp in one effort and can confirm that it is indeed a tough session. It always amazes me then that in a race I can add another 7 on!

Yep, looking at some of Bobs runs on connect he seems to have got over that 'coming back to running' tricky stage.

Wednesday is my double training day so I have an interval session on 2 x 1 mile plus 1 x 800 over lunch then bodypump tonight.

The cold that has been loitering in me for last week, which I thought was on its way out, kicked in fully last night. I shall have to reduce the paces at lunchtime to avoid another suffering!