Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    I'm just back from having some stability insoles or summat put in my normal shoes at the podiatrist as she thinks my foot rolling may be stopping the problem going away (or is the problem?).

Anyhow currently I can only walk like I've shit my pants.

What is the matter with your foot Lou and how is McFlooze?

Cheers, Skinny
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Faster than I thought possible when I started, slower than I would have liked when I was finished.

That is probably true for every single runner who even remotely would describe themselves as serious :)

All the best everyone, as you were.

• Options

Welcome back Lou and Mace!

Skinny - my mate had some stability insoles fitted at the beginning of last year to sort out his sore feet. Ran a sub 80 half (a 3 minute PB) at the end of last year.

Had a fairly decent weeks running, a 12.5 mile easy run on Monday evening, a track session on Tuesday night (300m paarlaufs) - paired up with someone who's a similar pace to me and then got in to some friendly rivalry with a couple of others - 4*8minutes (with 2 minute recoveries between sets) was fairly brutal but really enjoyed the session. Things conspired against me on Wednesday (best part of 8 hours in the car, plus a day's work) meant I couldn't fit in my usual Wednesday shuffle. Yesterday I attempted (along with a couple of mates) the Stevie G 'classic' of 45 minutes of alternating between MP and HMP in 5 minute blocks. We were enjoying ourselves so much that we added on an additional 5 minutes of HMP at the end (that actually ended up being more like 10k pace but never mind). With a warm up and cool down bolted on it made for 10 miles in total. MP sections came out at about 7 and HMP sections around 6:30.

Hopefully ease out a short run later before my first long run of this marathon campaign over the weekend.   

• Options

What is the matter with your foot Lou and how is McFlooze?

It hurts in the morning after I've been running, so I'm assuming plantar fasciitis, but I've not got round to seeing a physio about it so I don't know for sure.  
    McF has been told that the acl is likely fully ruptured, so she will need an op to sort it out.  The op will mean a few weeks off her feet, so she's putting it off until a convenient window reveals itself (which it won't).  I expect she'll try to get it sorted some time early summer.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Tommy2D said:

Yesterday I attempted (along with a couple of mates) the Stevie G 'classic' of 45 minutes of alternating between MP and HMP in 5 minute blocks. We were enjoying ourselves so much that we added on an additional 5 minutes of HMP at the end (that actually ended up being more like 10k pace but never mind). With a warm up and cool down bolted on it made for 10 miles in total. MP sections came out at about 7 and HMP sections around 6:30.

Hopefully ease out a short run later before my first long run of this marathon campaign over the weekend.   

Interesting one there mate. Sounds very casually done for what can be a very tough session, and you've smashed it! I bet that was out on the road as well, to make it even better!

If you've cruised straight into that, without the couple of months buildup  steady and MP standalone stuff, then i'd say it's pretty likely you're due a breakthrough. (or have gone a little easy on the MP zone ;))

What's your current pb? And when was it run?
  • Options
    Strong and stable Skinny, it's the way to go. Good luck. In the last fortnight I didn't need orthotics to affect such a walk   :s

Looks like a very strong week of training Tommy. I have dragged my heels a bit with getting out the last couple of days. I just postponed a lunchtime run for an after work one as I felt too hungry to wait until the run was done. I am hoping it's just my subconscious recognising that a parkrun/long mp run at the weekend will be a bit of a test. Good luck with the long run.

That's a shame for McF, Lou, I hope she gets it booked in sooner rather than later. PF can drag on, based on sufferers reports at our club, hope you can get yourself out of that. Did you hand over the cross country team management in the meantime ?
  • Options

Cheers Stevie. So to put Thursday's session in a bit more context, I basically spent from October to December building up mileage with predominately easy running with a few XC's and parkruns. I then added in a few MP runs which have built up to 10 miles at ~target MP (7:00-7:05). Thursday was the first time incorporating any HM paced stuff into it.    

Most of the time I do these sessions round a 10 mile loop which incorporates the canal and river paths, so it's pretty darn flat & there's no traffic or roads to cross. The only slight issue with it is that it's not fully lit so involves running with a head-torch. Oh and you have to be aware of maniac cyclists. Most of the time I do these sessions with one or two mates who are the same pace as me, and it certainly makes it easier.

Mara PB is 3:17 London April 2016

HM PB is 1:27 Edinburgh May 2016  

• Options
    16 miles done. Route choice not the wisest, through some ridiculous mud and ~1800ft of climbing. Bit of time stumbling about in some random forestry commission woodland wondering where I was and also wondering how long it would be before anybody found me if I fell over and broke my leg.
  • Options
    I'm liking your run Tommy! I had a similar experience in a wood in France a couple of years back, where I got lost and started coming past the same landmarks at least 3 times. Very Blair Witch Project. Ended up doing 13 miles when I only intended 5. But I never seemed to tire.

What's your target race BTW? London?

My target race is Worcester Pitchfork parkrun in a couple of weeks! There will be sub 20. Unless the Severn bursts its banks again.
  • Options
    Very good indeed Tommy.

I got lost and arrived at my parkrun a mere 30 seconds after they had started, but without a warmup I didn’t fancy pegging it after them. Anyway I’d volunteered to be on token duties so hung around to do that before going off afterwards on a 6 mile soaking wet, fairly muddy, pootle round the country park. I’m still not firing on all cylinders but will attempt to ignite one or two more tomorrow for my long marathon effort session over mud.
  • Options

"fairly muddy"... "over mud"...
    I love how you categorise the levels of mud in your runs, muddyfunster. And by extension the levels of fun :-)
  • Options
    Good to have mace and lou popping in. And Stevie G.  Sorry to learn about your foot lou and even sorrier for Mcflooze. Seems ages since she injured the knee.  Pity they didn't decide to operate straight away!

Fingers crossed that the orthotics work some magic, skinny.

Some very impressive training, Tommy.  I'm exhausted just reading about it. Do you think running with others helps your motivation?

I did a couple of mini-sessions this week.  3 x 1k at 10k pace and 2k at HMP.  Will try to do more this coming week.  After 11 months, it really is time that I was entering another race!

Oh and, as of yesterday, I am officially an oap.  Massive increase in my income and a wava opportunity :)
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Happy big birthday, Pete. Yes you definitely do just in case injury strikes!

Tommy, your training is both interesting and exhausting to read. That was a big session (hmp/mp).

Skinny, hope the insoles help.

Lou, you must be proper hench now. I know what press ups does for me and chin ups are a new level. Best wishes to mcf.

So I've finally managed some running. 39 miles this week, all easy including 4 straight days culminating in a 12 today. Talking of 12, London is 12 weeks today. Today's 12 should by this stage be a routine mid week aerobic, however it was quite tiring as it's first time over 8 miles since 2 January. I have to question whether pursuing sub 3 ambitions from here is a fools errand. Even if my fitness is still at right level I'm surely not going to pick that endurance back up. 
  • Options
    muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Congratulations on the birthday and the continued good training Pete. If it's any consolation I don't see you as an OAP. I can sense (and completely understand) some reticence about putting yourself through the mill, so maybe pick a short one for a little sighter and confidence builder, see how recovery from that goes and then maybe bite off a bit more.

I can't quite read the runes DT. Your start of January had a race period (with a 10 miler?) and you've also substituted running with spinning while injured, so that makes running a bit harder due to spinning being quad centred, so I'm tempted to suggest it could be normal levels of fatigue. I suppose building up mileage sensibly won't hurt and you can see how things feel after that.  London is good in that you can defer at any time and divert to a later spring half perhaps ?

My 10 mile trail race was *enormously* muddy Charlie, I took it as a moderately hard run (marathon effort) and slogged my way through at times shin deep mud up and down steep gradients. It was ludicrously tough going at times and I had to laugh at the route which took us up and down an incredibly steep bank when it could just as easily have skirted round it. I lost my woolly hat on a tree branch in the latter third of the course, went back for it and gave up some places in the process. I had a bit in reserve, but not as much as I hoped, as I put a spurt on for the thrilling, mostly downhill, final couple of miles. However I could only claw all but one of the places back by the finish.

I was called out as 13th on that run in, but haven't seen this confirmed officially yet. There were at least a couple of old giffers ahead of me so there was no consolation prize - I hung around for the presentation to congratulate my clubmate who won the race. (Charlie, I noticed your mate Leo won his age category - a Malvern Jogger grabbed his prize for him.)
  • Options

Good effort, muddy. Sounds like my kind of race!

Happy birthday, Pete! Consistent training seems to be paying off, hopefully you can find a race which takes your fancy in the next few weeks.

Pete - yes I think running with others does help my motivation but also I think it helps me hit (and maintain) target paces much more easily particularly on longer efforts/reps where it's easy to slow down or ease off.

Charlie - yep it was a bit like that. Also as it was forestry commission, all the trees and roads looked identical. Just backed myself to keep running eventually I'd come out somewhere I recognised and would be bale to make my way back!

DT - I wouldn't give up on your sub 3 ambitions just yet. Plenty of time to get to where you think you need to be for a sub 3 attack.

Managed to jog out an easy 4 on Sunday morning but due to a ridiculous Monday I ended up having an unscheduled rest day. Can't decide whether to go to track tonight or just have a bit of a jog about, will see how I feel when I get home.     

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

well done on the trail race, Muddy.

Followed up sunday with my first session of any sort yesterday. I went for the trusted 5 at mp over lunch time as I have lots of previous data to compare with. It has become more 5 at 160 bpm over the last 6 months. Came out 6.39mm for 160. Comparing back, same run 2 weeks before brum mara was 6.40mm for 159 and two weeks out from London was 6.52 for 160, so as things stand my fitness level seems largely undamaged.

Hoping for a midweek easy 8 tonight.

• Options

Sounds encouraging, DT. Any reaction in the hip?

I went to track and despite the ice cold wind, ended up with a decent session of 1200, 800, 600, 600, 400 200, 200, 200, 200, 200. with a variety of recoveries. A decent sized group there with plenty of people around the same pace as me to keep motivation levels up. Absolutely buried myself on the uber competitive last 200m rep to finish first. Completely unnecessary.  

Also hoping for a midweek easy 8 tonight.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Hip is completely fine now, the discomfort I am getting is from groin and into adductors, however it is more a niggle than a pain and running doesn't seem to make it worse. Physio thinks it is probably scar tissue and a few trigger points that need sorting.

Sounds like a good session, Tommy. Not sure I would want to do that sort of speed stuff just yet!

• Options

West Midlanders - what's the Droitwich HM like?

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Hilly! Muddy and I both run it last year. It's also pretty low key. I think I came 11th last year in 1.26 so it was a pretty lonely last few miles around the country lanes. 
  • Options
    I thought it was undulating and a little tough at times but I was running at marathon effort so had some reserve to play with, Tommy. You run out of the outskirts of the town from a leisure centre, do some loops around the country lanes, and then back to the leisure centre. It's fairly exposed if the wind is up (as it was last year).

You can find it here:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1604656501
  • Options

Hmmm doesn't really sound what I'm looking for.

Will see what else is out there.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I think there are a few halfs that date however you may struggle now to get in. I am doing Bath but that has been sold out for some time. There is also the Big London half which follows much of the mara route and finally the other I considered was Newport (the South Wales version). All reasonably decent options. Had I not got in Bath (via GFA) I would have gone with Newport.
  • Options
    There is also Warwick on the 4th March.
  • Options
    Warwick is described as hilly on RB, is that right?
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Yes, i don't think Warwick is particularly easy. I'm sure Lou or mcf could give a better idea of it. There's Coventry weekend before. I've always done well there despite some hilliness. 
  • Options
    Cov is 18th March. Tommy I have a transferrable entry to the Village Bakery Half (Wrexham) on 25th Feb if you fancy that. I will be doing Bath on the 4th instead.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    oh yes, same day as Ashby.
  • Options

Thanks both.

Muddy - 25th Feb is day after The National XC's at parliament hill so can't do the Wrexham one - cheers for the transfer offer though. I'm doing Ashby so can't do Coventry.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I'm at Ashby also, Tommy. What's your plan?  Dependant on shape in looking at about 7mm pace.