Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    My current plan is 4 easy and 16@MP which will be approximately 7mm pace, if that sounds of interest?
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    i'll see closer to the time, Tommy. I tend to prefer to run the whole thing at a bit slower than mp as opposed the  easy/mp switch you plan.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    First proper weeks training done with 8 miles Wednesday night,vthen a 4 x 800 treadmill session Friday evening. Followed this with 15 yesterday morning. Longest run since mid December and could feel lack of endurance last few miles. 

No aching or other issues this morning so 5 recovery miles on treadmill took me to 40 miles for week. 

Weather permitting I may have a crack at parkrun next weekend as need a gauge of fitness in advance of Bath half. 
  • Options
    Nice work DT. Loving how you just crank out a speed session one evening then 15 miles the next morning. Actually it fills me with horror, but I'm loving that you can do it :-)

I had a good week too - nearly 32 miles. No particular speed focus to any of them just however I feel. Defo feel brisker in the evenings though. Which won't help when I have another crack at a return to sub 20 parkrunning next Saturday (weather permitting).
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Charlie, if i parkrun next Saturday it'll be at Pitchcroft so hopefully see you there.

It wasn't a particularly intense speed session being just 4 reps and it wasn't a maximal session as it had been so long since I'd done one. Equally the 15 was a largely flat route and was low end easy effort so nothing major. 
  • Options
    I had a reasonable week too. I think I'm getting over whatever malaise befell me for the past 4 or 5 weeks. However I did take an unplanned day off on Wednesday as I felt tired. Aside from that I managed over 40 miles for the week, and felt rested enough by Thursday to run a 10km progression run which turned out to be both my fastest and most efficient on that route according to Strava.

Friday still had me feeling energetic but short of time so I ran a Kenyan Hills style session, with 10 repeats of a quarter mile hill, building the effort up as I went along. Initially I felt apprehensive about doing it after the previous days effort but got well into my stride and really enjoyed the feeling of working hard with good form at the end.

I did a kind of fartlek 5-ish mile run on Saturday and then on Sunday I set off with our club Sunday run. I realised about 7 miles in that I was within striking distance of a Great Run Local 5k event, so, after letting the rest of the group know of my deviation from plan, I put a spurt on and arrived about 20s before the start. I hoped to run 5k around marathon effort, but as I was unfamiliar with the hilly route I held back for the first lap and the lead runner kindly guided me round, before I then I got up to marathon effort for the remaining three laps to finish first in 20.12. It was sparsely attended though, with just 11 doing the 5k (quite a few took the 2k option  :confused: ). Still it helped me rack up 14 and a bit miles where normally I'd be thinking about calling it a day around the 10 mile mark. I'm quite looking forward to the spring and summer as there will be two of these events operating nearby with start times an hour apart, so it should be feasible to break up the monotony of the long run with two blocks of 5k at marathon effort in company.

The weather forecast is looking good for next weekend and a parkrun. I could be tempted by Pitchcroft but also have a 10 mile race planned for Sunday (training run over a tough course, looking ahead to Bath half, to see whether I can do a bit better at holding half marathon effort).

• Options
    Somewhere in amongst all that I'm sure you mentioned that you won a race Muddy? YAY!!
  • Options
    Yes, I did, albeit an 11 person race, within my long run, at sub mara effort, when the 2nd guy had slogged through cross country the day before. Definite cause for celebration ! :D
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

well done on the weekends running and local run glory. They all seem a bit of a con to me in that regardless of the success of them, The council pay them to organise them.

Spin session for me over lunch as have some physio/sports massage tonight, which I'm hoping will be enough to do away with the final niggles.

Yes, forecast currently looking good for Saturday.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Been ticking along here. Nice easy 10 mile mlr Tuesday, followed with an 8 with 5 and 160bpm yesterday. Despite a few drinks and a late night Wednesday and some strong headwinds it came out 6.42mm, with a 6.31 last mile.

Recovery 5 with strides today then an attempt at Worcester Pitchcroft parkrun in the morning. Conditions look perfect. No idea where my fitness will be. It's one thing knocking out steady efforts, however the discomfort and intensity of an all our 5k is a different matter when you've not come near that sort of effort for some time.

• Options

Also been ticking along here, had no chance to run at the beginning of the week so a couple of additional rest days.

Last night was the usual Thursday marathon specific session. This week we attempted one of the BAC sessions as popularised by Steve Way and friends. The session was 20 minutes MP / 5*3mins@5k pace (off 90 secs jog recovery) / 20 minutes MP. It was pretty tough but managed to nail it, although I was hanging on a bit at the end of the 4th rep but pulled myself together for the final rep. The MP stuff came out at 7:07 min/mile for the first set and 6:59 for the second bit, the efforts came out at an average of 5:52 pace so effectively covering just over half a mile in the 3 minutes.

Hopefully a gentle jog out later and then long run on Sunday incorporating the final league cross country race of the season at the Trent Meadows bogfest.    

• Options
    Well done on quite an extreme session Tommy, good luck with the cross country.

I had a rest day Wednesday after 6 days consecutive running, including 7m mara-ish effort on Tuesday  then back at it Thursday for an easy 3.5m at lunch then 8m in the evening with some hard hill reps. I think you need a few of those in your life DT to get used to the 5k effort ! Seems like a decent mara effort session there, similar paces to mine on Tuesday.

I was marshalling at  parkrun (not Pitchcroft) this morning and got away with running it too,  as I was on tokens. I ran 18.25 for 2nd place making it a fairly stiff effort in the end. It was a muddy, up and down course with not much tarmac so I was pleased to see sub 6 paces drop out at that effort. Hopefully that won't totally ruin me for the race tomorrow.

I see from Connect that there was a thread parkrun frenzy today ...
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Another big session there, Tommy. Good luck tomorrow. 

Nice parkrun, Muddy. What's tomorrow?

I also came 2nd today at Worcester parkrun, but I only had to run 18.26 for it. Pretty surprising outcome and now I now I can do that and not blow up I think I could go harder next time. Annoying to be 2 seconds short of pb but I did finally bag a 75% wava. 

Also good so see Charlie, with whom I enjoyed a warm down.

I thought I was destined to be beaten by a girl today as during my warm up Jenny Nesbit was cruising around the park. Thankfully she was on a 10k steady effort. 
  • Options
    Nice muddy 2nd place, Muddy. Good to see you DT.

I wanted sub-20 today at Pitchcroft and I guess I knew I'd get it - I got 20:03 three weeks ago when it was windy and the non-hard bits were v.soggy indeed. So this time out it was a bit soggy still, but no wind. By about half a mile I was stranded. The guy in front was way out, and only one guy overtook me. First mile 6:15 (although I didn't know that!) By now I kind of felt like I was red-lining, but you're meant to feel like that when you're doing a 5k properly, right? Mile 2 dipped a bit at 6:30, but when DT went past me at the turn and I could see how far ahead he was, I attempted to catch him up by running the final half mile in about 1 minute flat. For some reason that didn't work, but I got 6:28 for the last mile for 19:20. Yay! I guess I could train a bit harder and go for sub-19 on this fast course, but I probably won't. I hate getting up early on Saturdays anyway.
  • Options
    That sounded a very tough session, Tommy. Hope you recover from it in time for tomorrow's even tougher session.

Good parkrunning muddy, DT and Charlie.  Looking promising for the spring season.

I share Charlie's dislike of early runs but I woke up to such a beautiful morning that I decided to skip breakfast and jog the 3km to Highbury Fields.  Also did without tights, jacket, hat and gloves for the first time in ages: be bold, start cold.

It's not an ideal course: undulating, twisty, lots of trees and bollards to avoid plus it's 5 and a bit laps finishing uphill.  I found it hard going and was considering quitting after 3 laps. Strangely, it then began to feel easier and I finished quite strongly for a somewhat disappointing 23:01. First in my new age category though :)

I'd forgotten how hard it is to judge the right intensity for 5k and heart rate stats show that I didn't push hard enough.  I need to practise more and maybe do some of those hard hill reps muddy recommends.  At least I've finally bitten the bullet and run another "race" so I hope I can push on from here.
  • Options
    DT - It's the Rugeley 10 mile. Tough course with the first 10k heading uphill over Cannock Chase. Well done on being comfortably on touching distance of your pb.

Pete, well done on the age group win. It'd hard to adapt to 5k intensity after a week of training too! I'm ashamed to say I was in tights, baselayer, long sleeve and woolly hat, mainly on account of the token duties ahead of me.

Nice to casually go sub 20 Charlie. What would your ideal race time be then ? There's a theory that we are properly warmed up and at our daily peaks around 4pm. Handy for the school run :neutral:
  • Options
    I'd say 6.30pm is my idea. It varies but if I did some statistics on it, I reckon 6.30pm would be the median. I swear I just drove past you on the edge of Wychbold, muddy, near that roundabout off the M5. ou were running and I thought you must have been warming up for a race I knew you had today. But from Strava I can see you weren't around there. So you have a doppelganger.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Charlie, are you confusing Muddy and me? I was running in that very spot not long before 3pm. 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I'm convinced if parkrun me as mid afternoon I'd perform much better. It's a touch intensity to reach at 9am. I think I drifted back to 10k pace quite a few times yesterday. 
  • Options

Cheers all. Yes it was a tough session but I don't think it was too outrageous, there are some monster looking ones on the BAC page which I'm going nowhere near!

Nice parkrunning all round. I find it quite difficult to get in to proper 'race' mode for a parkrun which I think is partially due to the start time (the Battersea Park 10k that started at 8 was hideous). My 5K and 10K PB's come from evening races, although my HM PB is from Edinburgh half which starts at 8am I think.

Had a couple of easy jogs out on Friday and Saturday which seemed to freshen my legs up a bit. Today's 20 miler comprising a 13.5 mile warm up, a 5 mile race through an absolute quagmire and a 1.5 mile cool down went pretty well. Felt reasonable on the start line of the race, took it reasonably steady on the first lap, before picking it up a bit on the second lap and gained about 12 places. Still had my XC shoe son for the coll down so ended up running round some drier parts of the course, which was a bit of a drag. Glad to get the first 20 of the campaign ticked off ad legs feel pretty good so hopefully can have another decent mileage week ahead of the National XC next weekend.

• Options
    Not sure where I stand on DT being my doppelganger. He's loads younger than me and carries a full head of hair. I think he comes out worse!

It wouldn't surprise me if I had a doppelganger though Charlie. People say hello to me at races (not just being friendly; like they've not seen me in ages) and when running round Malvern there's a running club I see out sometimes who shout and wave at me. I respond halfheartedly feeling somewhat obliged not to be rude to avoid turning them aginst my doppelganger.

Anyway I was attempting a reasonable facsimile of running north of Birmingham through the Cannock Forest this morning in the Rugeley 10. After spending most of yesterday afty sneezing and blowing my nose, I woke up hoarse and feeling worse for wear so fell back to running at - you guessed it - marathon effort.

It was a very challenging course and my reading of the course profile as 6 up 4 down was quite wrong. It was more like 8 miles on an undulating climb (filled with regrets) and then 2 miles on a very steep downhill at the end just to finish me off. Neither of these miles were much faster than miles in the parkrun yesterday which all goes to show how quickly your body can shut things down. I was 22nd place and 3rd v45 in 1.05.35.

Good 20 miler Tommy, 13.5 as a warm up. Must try that sometime ! I guess it beats trying to do it after the cross country.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Well done, Tommy. I wouldn't fancy that session. I suppose it was important to get the bulk in before x country.

Well done on the 10 miler, Muddy. I'll have to make a note never to enter that one.

I have this image of the locals of Malvern heckling and aggresively gesticulating at you whilst you wave calmly at them. 

well done on the parkrun, Pete. Hopefully you'll have a taste for racing now?

I decided I needed to get this marathon thing moving today. Having only just built to 15 last week, i decided the obvious thing to do was run a 20. Legs were a touch stiff after yesterday's parkrun (I'm not used to running fast either) so first 5 were a bit clunky but then legs woke up and ended with a pleasant 20 at 7.44mm. After brum Mara I commited to forcing my body to use gels. I managed 4 today and I must say, they make a big difference.

That's a 50 mile week. My family went on holiday today for the week so I'm planning a big training week. My highest ever mileage week is 57. I'm looking to break 60. That'll be 4 decent weeks training so sets me up for a cut back week before Bath half two weeks today. 
  • Options

Good work on the 20, DT. Any reaction in the hip/adductor?

I'm intrigued; was it DT or Muddy or someone who looks like a cross between the two?

Legs feel pretty good today, so should be good for a few easy miles with the club a bit later on.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Well Charlie didn't mention me and it was a matter of me putting my own hat in the ring to claim to be this mysterious runner.

My legs are pretty stiff generally today after yesterday but there is nothing standing out from the problematic area. I guess if it can withstand a 50 mile week with a mp session Thursday, easy run Friday, Parkrun Saturday and a 20 yesterday then it's OK.

Spin night for me. I should probably have a day off running after that 4 day burst.

• Options
    It was a definite muddy doppelganger, although much closer to DT country. In fact I am positive it was muddy himself, even though he wasn't there.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Could it be the case that Muddy is mistaken as opposed you being mistaken?
  • Options
    I have photographic evidence.

• Options
    I can supply a web link :P
  • Options
    No one running ? I had a rest day Monday after considerable hard efforts in the prior 4 days (hill reps, parkrun around 10k, 13 with 10 mara effort). Yesterday was 7m easy at lunchtime then nearly 4m of rolling hills (mara effort down, half mara effort up) in the evening with another 4 warmup and cooldown. Surprisingly the hill climbs were my fastest ever according to Strava's segment analysis so perhaps I've turned a corner. Had to laugh at the fastest on that segment being 55s  ... my 2m 30s trailing it substantially.

Off out for a very easy one tonight after nearly 15 miles yesterday.