Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Skinny, that sounds like fun, if you are Tommy! Sorry to hear that the foot is still not allowing you to run.

Tommy, that message doesn't surprise me!!

It reminds me of a moment from sundays half. As I mentioned a lot of time is spent twisting and turning through housing estates and the roads are open. At about 9 miles I was running along the main estate road about to cross an unmarshalled junction and just as I stepped out a car came. I had to come to an immediate step and route myself round the back of it. Not what I needed at that point. I found it odd that this junction was not marshalled given that some of the other marshal points were in completely innocuous places!

Yes, I am hoping with a decent taper next week and a route that whilst having the same amount of elevation, has lots of long straight roads and a downhill last 3.5 miles, I should do better.

10 mile mlr yesterday was nice and gentle. 5 at mp planned over lunch then a sports massage tonight.

• Options
    Hahaha - this is definitely no fling! I'm trying to cement in a decent routine so that the Mrs knows what she's got coming post wedding.
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    Hi all :-)

Welcome DH83.

Sorry to hear it's still a bit shit, Skinny.

Well done to the usual mob of DT, muddy, Pete for keeping the thread going.

After getting back into it a bit the last time I was on here ( April/May time ), I had a bit of a relapse after treading on a rusty nail whilst working in the garden, so couldn't run for about a month and then had a lot on at work and home over the summer so was only doing 2 or 3 runs for about 10-15M a week.

Things are looking up over the last month though ( 29-35-40-29 ) and i'm gunning for a 45 this week. Still about 2 stone over race weight but i'm knocking out easy 5-6 milers at 8:20/M so things are looking up. 

London Marathon entered and after a couple of years in the wilderness and numerous attempts to get back into it I'm hopeful that this could finally be the one !! 

• Options
    Welcome back Mace, have a virtual high 5 for getting the mileage up and getting signed up for London 2019. Get on the parkrun sandwiches and you'll soon shift that weight ;) 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Hello Mace! Good to see you are back on the comeback trail with added motivation. Did you still have a GFA for London?

5 at mp came out 6.42 for 157 bpm which given my legs were still trashed on Wednesday, was not bad. Last night I did a 20 at average pace of 8.05mm. What is noteworthy is my hr average was 139 which is silly low for that distance. Basically what I would expect from a 5 mile recovery at 8mm. It did genuinely also feel that low an effort as well.

Planning 3-5 at recovery over lunchtime. The good thing with front loading my week is that I sort of get an extra 3 days for my taper next week towards the Worcester half.

• Options

Mace! Good to see you. With that mileage I'm sure the 2 stone will shift quickly.

DT - You seem to be in excellent shape, hope you manage to stay injury and illness free between now and York.

I've made it out for a few runs this week including our club handicap on Monday. Ram it progressively with one of my mates starting at 6:45 pace coming down to 6min/mile by the end to finish the 3 miles 19:03, which is over a minute slower than my previous best but it felt pretty comfortable up until the last 0.5 mile or so where the pace was ramping up and we were into the notorious HP lake headwind.

Also made it out for 10 miles last night at what was supposed to be MP (~7:00-7:05 pace), however, I was in a group of 5 and naturally the pace was a little quicker than planned, coming out at 6:55. Was good to get it done, although it felt harder than when I was regularly doing this run mid week last winter probably due to a drop in fitness and the slightly quicker pace. The other notable thing about this run was that we were joined by Bob, who's running consistently at the moment, he's looking to continue this over autumn and winter before attacking the track next season.   

Hoping to get to a parkrun tomorrow if I can avoid the road closures from the Tour of Britain

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    Cheers chaps  B)

DT, sounds like a promising fitness boost to me. And yes, deferred from 2016. 

Tommy, nice session ..... get Big back on here for some track reports, i miss them !!

• Options
    The Vale of York Half Marathon 2018

In previous years this has been the one that got away. Something has always come up to prevent me from taking up my entry to this race that is billed as 'a flat and fast half departing from the Sherburn-in-Elmet aerodrome'. After an enjoyable run out at its sister race, the Vale of York 10 in the Spring, I was still keen to enter this half once again despite my poor history of prior attendance. This time the main impediment to doing it was its proximity to the Hull Marathon that I'd been training for over the prior six weeks, but I reasoned my build had been short and it would be one last dollop of training stimulus before an abrupt taper.

All was well this year, albeit it being a bit of a flying visit (groan) incorporating an evening with friends and a couple of glasses of wine and a groggy early start to get to the aerodrome. I was lucky that I left early as the very long narrow access road to the site was rammed and traffic was at such a standstill I was able to put contacts in and get out of my over-the-top-of-my-race-gear clothing while in the car. With barely any time to spare, I got to park up about as far away from registration as it was possible to get (more on that later), leg it over there for my number then complete a rudimentary warm up just before arriving at the start - where they announced it would be delayed 15 minutes. I could have maybe pursued more warm up at this point, but preferred to chill out and chuckle at the pre-race sandbagging chat around me. My own expectations were low, my mileage cut back week had led to a well spring of fatigue and leaden feeling legs rather than the relative freshness I had hoped for. Still, I remained committed to giving it a strong consistent effort and reminded myself how straightforward the previous two half run outs of this marathon campaign (both targeting marathon effort) had been.

After we were informed that the race was about to start, and the usual announcements and applause, a hush descended, and the race starter attempted to start the race with a "5-4-3-oh-fer-f*cks-sake" as he realised his race timer colleague was not quite on the same page, which lightened the mood. Then the start proper, and we headed down the runway for around 400m before turning back on ourselves and leaving the airfield. The first 3 miles felt ridiculously easy and in fact was inside pb pace for less effort than usual. However a 90 degree right turn revealed that was all wind assisted as the cross wind hit and then a climb over a flyover (the only rise in the course) dropped the pace down. About a mile down the road, trees created some shelter from the crosswind and we headed out on a loop down Long Lane which was exactly that, touching on the outskirts of the village of Wistow for a bit of crowd support from the villagers (no pitchforks or flaming torches though, thoroughly modern green wellies and quilted coats). The return part of the loop was pretty uneventful. We re-encountered the flyover then it was out in the open for the wind to do its bit for the final three miles. I wasn't particularly able to raise my effort for that part of the course as I would normally try to do, but nor did I feel that the effort was overwhelming. It was just a pretty consistent slog back to the airfield, where a 13 mile signpost with a right turn shortly after revealed the finish arch. 

I recorded 1.19.01 on chip. I wasn't too unhappy with that after a fairly big preceding month of around 250 miles and consoled myself with the thought that it would've been comfy sub 6 min miling but for the strong headwind in the last 3 miles.

The finish area was absolutely buzzing. With wasps. I almost swallowed one that landed on my goody bag mars bar. To make matters worse we were restricted in leaving the airfield for around an hour, and, as runways were in use, there was only a short 800m loop through the wasp activity for a cooldown run around. I managed around 3 miles before giving it up as bad job. On the plus side there were many other runners in the same boat and it provided some convivial post race chat. 

Someone got their trailer stuck in the only gate allowing departure from the site and by this time impatient drivers had all funneled towards it making a smooth exit flow impossible. Rather than sit around in all of that mess, I decided to have a massage on site and paid £10 for the privilege of a lady putting the weight of her elbow into my aching muscles while telling me I had a tight IT band. Whiled away further time and money with a fairly poor on-site hot dog and multiple cups of tea as the traffic cleared. 

Activity here:
  • Options
    Did you parkrun Tommy ? That seems like a decent long tempo run ... say hello to Bob from us
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Sounds like a decent run out, Muddy. Shame about events at the finish. when is Hull?

Decent tempo session, Tommy. Good to hear Bob has built back into shape.

I  did my local 10k route sunday as a tempo run. It's a hilly affair with garmin claiming 450 feet of gain. Went for a steady effort which came out at 6.43mm for 162hr and 41.11 time. A few years ago on that course it would have been a race pb.

Monday was an easy 5 at recovery then yesterday a reduced 8 mile mlr to reflect my mini taper. Today I am planning 7 with 5 at mp. Probably a bit more than is ideal but Sunday isn't the main goal.

• Options

Nicely done, Muddy. Any time goals for Hull or just to marathon effort it all the way and see what time drops out? Sounds like plenty of fun and games at the finish.

Comfortable sounding tempo, DT. It's always a good feeling when you look back a few years and see the improvements you've made; I said similar last Thursday when we went through 5 miles in 34:xx that a few years before that I'd buried myself to get under 35 minutes at a 5 mile race.

Muddy - yes, I did make it to parkrun on Saturday, I ended up jogging to my most local one to avoid any traffic nonsense. It's a decent enough course but with 350ft of climbing it's not the fastest, although it does have what has to be one of the longest finish line straights of any parkrun; about a third of a mile long, slightly downhill and on smooth surface. I started off fairly steadily and after the first kilometre I guess I was in 12th place or so, I didn't really increase the effort and by the end of the first lap I'd moved up to 8th place. By the start of the glorious finishing straight I'd over taken a couple of others, I ramped up the effort along the finish straight and was quite enjoying it, until a dude (with massive over-ear headphones) who I'd overtaken just before the finish straight tried to come back passed me, I wasn't having that so ended up in a bit of a mad sprint finish, much to the delight of the organisers.  

Followed that up with an easy 10 mile run on Sunday mainly on tracks through woodland, it also involved over 1000ft of elevation gain. I saw quite a few deer too which was nice.

Since then I've not managed to do a lot (running wise, I have come back to NZ though). I'm feeling a bit knackered still but will hopefully make it out for a few easy miles this evening.

I've noticed that there is a 5 mile race in Auckland in a couple of weeks, which is hosted by Owairaka athletics club. This is the athletics cub at which Arthur Lydiard essentially started his coaching career. I've been doing a bit of reading about Lydiard and whilst I knew a little bit about him I didn't realise what an innovator and influencer he was. Essentially every well known/respected running coach (Daniels, Higdon, Pfitzinger (Christine Pfitzinger- Pet's wife ran for Owairaka athletics club) et al) and by extension most of us, use the principles laid down by Lydiard. The primary one being about running slow and developing aerobic capacity before anything else.

I found these links which people may find interesting...

http://lydiardfoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Jogging-the-Lydiard-Way-with-pics-4.pdf

http://www.lydiardfoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Arthur-Lydiard-Running-Man.pdf        

• Options
    Tommy, yeah it'll be a heart rate job, see where I am half way timewise, and then look forward to the fade ! Sounds like an enjoyable finish to the parkrun. I just do not understand the need for music during a short run like that. Though I suppose if you leave the house with your expensive cans, you may not want to leave them around at the start...

I've read a lot of the Lydiard stuff - Bob is a fan and got me into it .. he can probably give you a look at the Livingstone book Healthy, Intelligent Training which runs over the same principles.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Sounds like you are going well, Tommy. Yes, I don't understand why in a race environment people insist on wearing headphones. Especially as most runners wearing them are in the middle of the pack and surrounded with atmosphere and company. I do get irritated in a race which is perhaps two loops or there is a 10k event that the half passes through and people are in my way wearing them despite explicit instructions not to.

This taper week has lead to me feeling like i'm stiffening right up. Almost feel worse for it! Hopefully without the combined fatigue in my legs it's feel better when I need it to.

5 at mp went well. Came out 6.45 average pace with splits of 6.46, 6.44, 6.43, 6.45 and 6.44. So I seem to be dialling into 6.45 pretty well. My average hr was a very decent 154.

recovery 4 with strides this morning having had a rest day yesterday. Same again tomorrow before Worcester half.

• Options

Think I'm getting there DT but my running hasn't been consistent enough of late. Hoping for a decent few weeks of training whilst I'm in NZ with a couple of races/parkruns. Then it will be XC season, lovely.

Talking of parkruns, I made it to Cornwall park parkrun in Auckland yesterday. I'm still struggling with jet lag, waking up really early and falling asleep in the evenings and was knackered after about a 500m after starting the parkrun, the course was petty twisty and a lot hillier than I anticipated so dialled down the effort levels to finish in 21 minutes odd, although it felt pretty hard work. However, the most important/remarkable thing about yesterday's pakrun was that Richard (formerly of the thread) was there! Unfortunately I didn't know this until after the event when I saw it come up on my Strava, we had a brief online conversation, he's over here doing some tourist stuff having not done much when he lived here. He was doing a half marathon today. The world is a small place nowadays.  

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Tommy, that's an amazing coincidence. Shame you didn't spot each other.

Worcester half didn't go to plan. Set out at sub 83 pace but it felt laboured. I thought perhaps, as I often do, that I would settle into after a 4 miles. Went though 5k on target and 12 seconds faster than last year, however I wasn't going smooth. 4 miles the pace started to drop and I seriously considered dnf as we came back into the city. I decided to persevere and got to 10k in 39.45 which was 18 seconds slower than last year. Being pragmatic I knew a pb wasn't on but it still seemed possible to put in a reasonable time. The next coupe of miles were the climbing miles hut after that the last 3.5 were downhill.

I managed to end the climbing miles at 6.30 average, so was at this point about 40 seconds down on last year. Not something I could make up but still realistically on for sub 85. The first part of the downhill came and I zoomed off and passed a few people. Then another small climb came and in the distance it looked nowhere near as downhill as I recalled. This completely flattened me and my mind and body just gave up. I was treading water, then I got a stitch. Even though I was running downhill it felt like I was going up. By the last mile I felt like I was walking as there was nothing to be gained.

Plodded in for 86.59. My hr stats gave me a higher average hr than 2 weeks earlier at wolves. I feel still more beaten up than I did after wolves as well so something wasn't quite right.

• Options

Hard lines, DT. I wouldn't worry about it too much, just a bad day at the office, although your overall time is still pretty good so not that bad.

I saw that the women's winner of the 10k race was a 17 year old girl in 34 minutes odd, pretty impressive.

Been doing some jogging about, cycling and swimming over the last few days. Hoping to get some decent running miles in over the rest of the week.  

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

yes, I guess it isn't a complete capitulation. It is just disappointing as I was sure I had prepared properly. I still feel largely wiped out. I haven't come down with any illness however my rhr is up about 15% on this time last week.

Yes I saw that also, some going for a 17 year old girl in her first 10k! The 10k is genuinely flat as most of the climbing for the half kicks in at 6 miles where it departs from the 10k route.

How long are you back in nz for?

• Options
    Definite signs of child borne viruses there DT. Tough luck.

I have had child borne virus afflicting my final preparation for Hull, so missed out on a parkrun opportunity and started my taper earlier. I did my rehearsal run last night of 7 with 3mp (actually pace rather than effort as the 3m was mostly downhill) and a 3m recovery jog today in the gales. Maybe two more 3 mile runs before the race. Whilst I felt like crap over the weekend, I am now feeling more like I could do with some running...

• Options
    ... but just checked the weather forecast for Sunday and it predicts 'Heavy Rain with a Fresh Breeze' from 9am. The Humber Bridge crossing should be fun ! As will the inevitable chafing  :'( 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

yes, still not feeling up for much today, perhaps however a little too much self pity going on!!

I shall be running the rd relays on Saturday. First time I have done these. Don't currently much feel like it but perhaps it'll be just what I need!

Yes, as has been the theme of this year, Muddy, the weather will certainly be playing its part on Sunday for you.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Well a lot can change over a few days, not least yesterdays horrific weather forecast for Hull!!

The road relays were just what I needed it turns out. I started out in the vets team then following a huge volume of injuries our B team was scrapped and I was bumped to senior team. We only then managed a 5 man vets team.

It took me ages to get into Sutton park. Possibly a peak time of arrivals v leavers as I was on leg 4. Managed a 1 mile warm up and then into start pen. As I was warned there is a nice bit of downhill to kick off then it gets silly with most of mile 1 uphill. It isn't easy trying to run at 5k pace up a hill. I was blowing and wondered what sort of disastrous run awaited. Mile 1 was 6.16, not actually too bad! The course then settled and I recovered quickly and started hitting sub 6 pace. Mile 2 came in at 6.03 and I was feeling very good and followed it with a 5.59 mile 3. The course was 3.64 miles long and the last part came in at 6.01 average pace, giving me 22.10 and 6.05 average pace.

I was quite pleased that out of 11 runners I was our second fastest on the day (says more perhaps about who wasn't there!), though 3 of the guys in our senior team was faster than, I have not beaten before so a reasonable outing.

Followed it up with a 22 yesterday which completes my long running. 63 miles for the week is my highest ever week.

• Options
    Well done DT - Sutton Park is very up and down - and especially well done on knocking out the 22 after a hard effort Saturday morning. 

Yes, DT the weather wasn't too bad in Hull, nippy with a bit of a breeze and so I have a minor pb to report as I ran 2.50.43 at the Hull Marathon for 9th and a prize which I didn't collect on the day. That represents 15s off my London time, but a world of difference in terms how resilient I was to the distance this time. Report to follow soon-ish  :)
  • Options
    Well done on the running everyone. It's great reading about other runner's experiences even when they're not so positive. It reminds me that not every training session will go well.

I have the LFOTM Hyde Park 5k coming up on Friday. I've just come off the back of a 25 mile week. A relatively comfortable 9 miler yesterday (Sunday) means I'm a little bit stiff today but otherwise OK.

I'm thinking about an easy 6 tomorrow and then perhaps an easy 4 on Thursday with some strides. What do you guys think?

Thanks again
    David
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    Congrats muddy !!

Normal for a first marathon to feel like you might die at some point ( mine was the same )

Just a couple of 5M jogs last week as my foot was giving me a bit of grief and will hopefully get a bit more in this week. I'll give it a go but am wondering if i'll ever get any sort of decent volume on a consistent enough basis again.
  • Options
    Cheers Mace. Do you do any cross training ? I find that helps in periods of enforced running inactivity. I've done loads of targeted core work this year too.
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    Yes muddy, I drink and play pool  :p

Seriously, Just a bit of 5-a-side and not done any core work for about 3 years !! 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Muddy, great work on the mara. Were you first in age cat? Look forward to the report!

Mace, do you not do the spin classes anymore? I suspect the 5 a-side wont help the feet mind.

David, that sounds like a reasonable plan to me.

5k recovery yesterday. Planning a 10 mile mlr tonight. Easing the mileage back this week as a first step towards tapering.

• Options
    DT - I may have collected first v45 due to prize cascade rules as the winner (2.31.xx) was in my age category,  but I was not strictly first in age category.

David - Yes, that sounds like it would leave you reasonably rested. How do you feel now you are on  25 miles of mostly easy running ?

Mace - I guess if you don't need the core work ... but you've mentioned niggles and all the targeted strength work seems to have got me through some 60+ mile weeks without really feeling that beat up. It's definitely the most tedious part of training for me though - would much rather play pool !
  • Options
    muddyfunster, I feel good. I sometimes feel a little sluggish during the first couple of miles of my long runs but after that I loosen up and feel fine. I need to get into a proper stretching routine, especially post long runs.

Next week I'll throw in a progression run alonside the strides. The week after I'll look to incorporate some quality work though I am not too sure of what my HM pace should be. I know my target pace is 7:30/m. Would something like this look right?

6m. 2m easy, 3m @ 7:30, 1m cooldown.

What I should probably do is look back in the thread and see what Stevie G advised Skinny. If it helps I tried a progression run last week, times were 7:49, 7:37, 7:10, 6:48 and 8:02 (cooldown).

Cheers
    David
  • Options
    Forgot to say, looking forward to the race report :smile: