Overdone it?

Comments

• Eeesh.  Nasty.  I imagine it provided a good topic for discussion at your meal though.

Take care out there everyone.  
  • *checks the wear on his slightly ageing trainers....
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Muddy, how are the aches today? It will be  a shame if this causes some downtime as weather permitting you must have really fancied a pb at Village Bakery.

I have 12 to do tonight. Might take to the treadmill!

• Yep, I think that was my downfall David.
  • Muddy - no, it was a pretty successful fall really - I just slipped on some black ice when not concentrating while running downhill, and managed to break my fall with both hands, and THEN my head hit the ground. So the rest of me was fine (slightly grazed palms but I'd had gloves on), and the head impact wasn't as bad as it could have been either. I looked ridiculous for ages though.
  • Lit, did you do anything to your ribs in the fall ? Mine are killing me. Still got a stonking headache too.
    I hurt my ribs last year when I was go-karting and they were really painful for about 6 weeks. If you go to hospital and get an x ray there is little actual point in proving whether they are just bruised or cracked because then they don't do anything.

I also learned, but not properly hence the wishy-washiness of what follows, that there is no space around your ribs for the swelling to expand so that is why it hurts so much - for example if you give yourself a black eye it swells up a bit - the pain comes from your ribs trying to expand but there is no space for them to expand into. 
  • literatin said:
    It's easy David - you just hit your head on the road and all the blood drains down into your eye. I looked amazing. 
    Lit you always look amazing  o:)

The blood draining down comment reminds me of that time you posted the photo of you hanging upside down on a rope and your hand looked like it was filled up with blood. It's back on the early days of the thread somewhere.
  • muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Cheers Skinny, yeah I knew already that ribs aren't very treatable and they will only do something if the rib is poking against something vital.

The swelling/ribs expansion thing makes sense. I have no obvious bruising on the surface but it feels much worse than the eye looks.
  • On 01/01 ran 23:02 parkrun. 

02/02 22:19. So 43 secs better.

Problem is it's on back of walk running to work every day and the odd bit of gym biking. I still can't run more than a mile more often than about once a fortnight. Couldn't walk for about an hour after Saturday's effort but then it eased off. Anyhow nice to be competing in a non competitive environment again (I lost a sprint finish on Saturday). Might try to break through 22 mins on 23rd Feb - reckon I must have about 10 seconds simply by standing nearer to the front.

The crazy thing is I was 13th - makes you wonder how unfit people are generally if I can turn up and beat most of them (admittedly I was probably in 5k pace zone and some of them will just have been jogging round). 

Then 33.3kms on a gym bike in an hour on Sunday. Most I've managed and on same bike so however inaccurate suggests improvement.
  • Yay for some non-competitive competition, Skinny!  I imagine most of them will be slower by virtue of being better padded than you?  

Sorry to hear you've been violent to the floor, Muddy.  Hope it doesn't slow you down for too long.  I managed to fall over yesterday but not running.  i was attempting to load the car and the dog kept jumping in before I'd put her bed in and then trying to get her out I tripped over the other bag and grazed my hand.  Although considering I fell with all my weight on that arm I'm taking it as a win that it didn't break. 

I had a week off the week before last as pulled my calf a bit on my long run so took some time off in the interests of caution.  But it seems ok this week so off to training.  I did an easy run, then a tempo run, then an easy run then two days off.  Then I thought I'd do a flat Parkrun to see where my fitness is before Bourton 10k.  Came out at 21:15 (5th lady) which I'm pretty pleased with since I can't remember the last time I saw a 6:XX so good to string three of them together.  The following day was long run day and I did 20 miles.  The first 20 miler in three years.  I'd forgotten how awful they are.  Or at least the immediate aftermath.  I don't bounce around 20 milers like some people on the thread!  Anyway, it went ok but the last few miles felt pretty gruelling.  To be expected I guess, the next one will be better.

Hope everyone else had good running weekends?  
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I was looking at the parkrun page for something recently and noted some stats, in particular that the average time is 28 minutes. For some reason this surprised me as I had in my head that it would be slower than 30. Looking at my 2 local parkrun results (bearing in mind in was cold and icy on Saturday) the results are consistent with that. So that is circa 9mm pace for an average person over 3 miles.

The biking will help, Skinny. When I was injured last January I did circa 30 spin classes in the month and once I got my running legs back my fitness had barely suffered. I appreciate 1 month isn't comparable to your situation.

I posted 227 miles in January which is 9 higher than my previous high last September. In addition, 66 miles last week is 3 higher than my previous high, also last September.

• Well done McFlooze - lots of different types of good running in that week.

DT - 66miles is a lot - well done - I think it's about time you started taking down my 10k and HM PBs with that mileage and the sessions you are doing.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

mcf, x post. Well done on the parkrun and the 20. I am sure the next one will go more easily. That first hour after stopping is always hard going.

Skinny, yes I really need to see some form of progress to justify recent output. Running is generally a fairly equitable sport and you do largely get out what you put in. I have a half in 2 weeks (so it'll probably snow) but am slightly edgy as my last 2 (Worcester in September and Brass Monkey recently) went badly. I don't feel like I have had a good race since the Yorkshire mara in October.

I've not been helped by conditions so I am due a spot of luck there as well. I have a big 10 mile tempo run tomorrow lunchtime so that ought to give me a feel for things.

• McFlooze that was a quality week of running.

Skinny :)

DT good mileage and good luck for the 10mile tempo :s

Had a club session last week 3x2mls which went ok and 12mls on Saturday. 9mls tonight with something flung in.

• Hope everyone had a good weekend.  Great progress on the 5k Skinny.  43 seconds is massive.

There seems to be a lot of mishaps going on recently!  I'm going to keep my wits about me.

I decided at the tail end of last week to keep the mileage where it was at 27.  I wanted to go out for a short 4 or 5 just to top it up but it was the wife's 30th and so I didn't get it done.  No bother, it was a recovery week and I must admit the legs felt very good today whilst doing my usual around the park.  What was going to be a steady/easy run turned into a 43min 10k.  Halfway round I felt good and realised I could probably get the entire run at under 7mi/m average.  Job done and now onto a couple of very easy runs.
  • Well done everyone! I bounced round my first 20 miler on Sunday for a total of 66 miles last week. However, I don't think I'll be threatening any of Skinny's PBs any time soon, or my own either, as I am quite a bit slower than I used to be, as well as a little bit older. I am gradually getting fitter though and reckon I can probably manage sub 3 at London. My puppy is also very bouncy.

• I decided at the tail end of last week to keep the mileage where it was at 27.  I wanted to go out for a short 4 or 5 just to top it up but it was the wife's 30th and so I didn't get it done.  No bother, it was a recovery week and I must admit the legs felt very good today whilst doing my usual around the park.  What was going to be a steady/easy run turned into a 43min 10k.  Halfway round I felt good and realised I could probably get the entire run at under 7mi/m average.  Job done and now onto a couple of very easy runs.

I make that 10k at ~HMP. Good stuff!
  • Skinny - god to see you've been getting a few runs in along with the cycling. 

Good work on the parkrun-long run combo McF. 

DT - maybe more of a taper for your upcoming half will help? You always seem to front load the week to allow a mini taper but perhaps the cumulative miles may have an effect?

I've been plodding on. Had a weird race last Sunday at the midlands XC, as we were jogging over to the start I felt a weird pain in my shin/knee. I thought I'd see how it went but after a lap it was still giving me gyp so I stopped and walked back to the tent in a huff. My first ever DNF. I rested for a couple of days and it went away so not really sure what that was all about. Fingers crossed it was something of nothing... 
  • Well done on the parkrun Skinny and the fitness improvements. Excellent week McF; same too DT on the mileage. Good lunchtime outing David, and 3 x 2mile is always a tough session Kevin. Do you think you might try a short no stress race sometime soon to start to address the issues you were having ?

Well, I am back at work and managed a couple of painful runs over the weekend. I marshalled parkrun on a freezing Saturday morning, and it was so annoying watching, afterwards I bit the bullet and tried a run with the  aid of painkillers. That was ok, so I joined in on the pre-booked 10m cross country race on a lovely (but very cold) Sunday morning - with the ground being fairly firm, there wasn't much risk of slippage. Originally I'd planned it to be part of my 18 miles with 10 marathon effort session but I was warned off strenuous activity by the GP so I took it very easy and bimbled round in 72 mins, then followed that later in the day with 5 miles even slower. That slightly rescued the week in mileage terms, so it could be considered a first cut back week since 22nd December and not too disruptive to marathon plans. However I will continue to take things very easy, though I have stopped taking the painkillers as they messed up my stomach, so it remains to be seen how much I can take without them.
  • Blimey Muddy - do you not think the GP might see running in general as 'strenuous'? I know it's frustrating not to be able to train for the marathon as planned, but I'd see a too-quick comeback as being potentially more damaging than a complete break.

• I marshalled parkrun on a freezing Saturday morning, and it was so annoying watching, 
    The last 3 people in the parkrun on Saturday finished in 1:09 - poor marshalls must have had frostbite.

That was ok, so I joined in on the pre-booked 10m cross country race on a lovely (but very cold) Sunday morning - with the ground being fairly firm, there wasn't much risk of slippage. Originally I'd planned it to be part of my 18 miles with 10 marathon effort session but I was warned off strenuous activity by the GP so I took it very easy and bimbled round in 72 mins, then followed that later in the day with 5 miles even slower. 
    I'm guessing most GPs when they warn people off strenuous activity would consider a 10 mile cross country followed by another 5 miles on the same day as breaking those guidelines. :smiley:
  • Tommy2D said:
    I make that 10k at ~HMP. Good stuff!
    Yep.  Although the first mile was the slowest I'm going to work off of the averages here I think.  I reckon 7:15 (my actual goal HMP) would have felt quite comfortable today.  

• Yes Skinny, I couldn't feel my toes. But it was a nice view for an inner city ...

Ironically I was marshalling a wooden bridge that has a tendency to be slippy  (I doused it with a packet of table salt).

I suppose it depends on the definition of strenuous which really depends on the injured person and the injury severity. I had time to read up on concussion recovery protocols while I was off work. Low end aerobic activity has been shown to speed recovery from brain injuries and 3 days is considered the optimal time to spend resting (which I complied with). 

Having said all that, any hint of any problem and I was and still am completely ready to take a taxi home and ditch all plans. It was pretty scary reading about what a second concussion might lead to if it was to occur in short order. GP was actually not much use in terms of offering a recuperation strategy and I have to say I've found jogging much less difficult than working with a screen under flickering lights.
  • Lit - your people profile on your work website contains a spelling mistake.  :o

If your first book sounded like heavy going I think I might have to pass on the sequel too!

Nice photo though, managing to combine a smile with a 'I can't believe I fucking have to do this' look.

(and yes just decided to have a random stalk to see what you were up to).
  • You weirdo Skinny. (Anyway, work's boring. Didn't I mention I have a PUPPY???)
  • literatin said:
    You weirdo Skinny. (Anyway, work's boring. Didn't I mention I have a PUPPY???)
    Yeah called Zebedee

Image result for bouncy dog gif
  • I don't have a dog and my backyard looks like that!
  • macemace ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Good running all, it's at times like this i'm glad i didn't pick a 'one-to-watch'

I followed a 33 mile week with a 20 mile week last week, so i'm regressing well. Main reason is work being manic and helping my parents in their new place so i feel constantly fooked. I was going to LR early Saturday but felt very tired and guilty so helped my Dad instead. And whilst doing that i managed to drop a door on my toes so that feked a Sunday LR up and it's put the mockers on any running today too. At least any niggles i had are gone.

I think i'm jinxed .... either that or not picking a one-to-watch is my payback !!  
  • Let’s just say you picked me Mace and move on. Hope the toe isn’t too knackered and work sorts itself out now the tax return frenzy is over and done with.