Overdone it?

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Haven't seen a parkrun being a race debate for at least 12 hours, always good fun.

Not a race - yet you're given times, in order of speed. There's marshals, and they call it a "time trial".

So what's the difference between a time trial with other people, and a race?
    Wearing a number? Paying to enter? Getting prizes?
    Not all proper races have all that stuff anyway.

The idea that "everyone" who pays and does a "Proper" race is racing, whereas in a parkrun they're not isn't even a totally clear line in the sand either? 

Is it the "right of way" aspect the Mudfather mentions? Not really, we all have done "proper" races where you don't actually have right of way and are warned that "the park is used by other peeps"

Is it simply an insurance/cost thing? Call it a race and the man in the council will want some wad. Call it a "parkrun" and make a lot of soundbites about how great exercise is, and how it'll cut health costs down the line, and basically doing the council's job for free for them - suddenly no wad needed...

One big question I have, is why do parkruns even go on PO10 then?
    They're so fussy with other stuff - proper measurements, has to have a "proper" UKA license etc, yet they let parkruns, that your dad's mate might be marking the course out slightly differently every week on there.

(ps i'm glad they do, as my 5k pb is from one - one of the ones that properly held certification luckily...not like my clubmate, whose pb is quicker than another one he did around the same time that is marked "short", so there's no way it's legitimate, so he'll always have an impossible to beat pb!
  • And we’ve all done licensed and course certified races that fall ridiculously short too.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    It's when it later comes out that a pb race was short that must be gutting. The North West had a mass of those a few years back. I felt most sorry for the Manchester marathoners!
  • The 5k 'race' in Hyde Park is billed as a race.  Yes you have to pay to enter it but all the other rules still apply.  Give way to other park users and don't race anyone at the finish.

I guess if you can get more bums off seats by labeling something a certain way then that's what counts.
  • 8-6-0 so far this week.  Gonna try Skinny's 13m progression on Sunday.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I fell victim to the Liverpool half last year! Though looking on strava this year, back to it's normal route it looks on the short side of accurate!

Yes, SG, I have done many races on open road sand in open parks. It is odd that po10 and RB take a parkrun. My local 10k is a race and doesn't have a UKA licence. They won't take that.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    The 5k 'race' in Hyde Park is billed as a race.  Yes you have to pay to enter it but all the other rules still apply.  Give way to other park users and don't race anyone at the finish.

I guess if you can get more bums off seats by labeling something a certain way then that's what counts.
    Say what?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    The other odd thing I've found DT from my keen (obsessive) desire to smash my back catalogue onto PO10, is that seemingly anything pre 2010 is a free for all - have the results, send them over. That includes all manner of Cock n Biscuits, dodgy measurements, anything. 

Yet anything after then, has to have the UKA license.

Back a decade or so ago, you actually had to hit certain times to even get your time on PO10!
    I remember those days, as the times were pretty trim (for men anyway).
    28.00 needed for a 5miler for instance, 58.00 for a 10miler!
    The 16.45 for 5k I still haven't achieved.
     (1hr 20 for a half and 3.00 for a marathon surely much easier than the other times)

Sod's law was well in action too.
    Two examples...

I researched parkruns that were flat and certfied about 6 years ago. Found Dulwich, did Dulwich, got my 16.53, and for 2 glorious weeks I had a "5k" pb of 16.53
    THEN, they decided to lump all parkruns in as "parkrun", whether they were the above sort of standard course set up or MT, NAD, "Your dad measuring it", dodgy adjusted courses due to some pride festival being on (long story!) or any other gub.  :D  

Doing 28.05 at Victory 5 one year, just missing the 28.00 qualification.
    Next year, 27.56 - but they'd loosened the 28 being the barrier, in their attempt to be more inclusive! Couldn't make it up!

So from a position of needing to hit pretty tight times at properly certified races, they're now allowing parkruns. What a turnaround.
    Parkruns are a great cheat code to improve your RB handicap though. Splash a few of those in, and jobs a goodun.
  • Skinny Fetish FanSkinny Fetish Fan ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019

My RB handicap has dropped from 11.4 to 7.6 in 5 weeks simply because of the above pretty average run outs.
  • Stevie G said:
    The 5k 'race' in Hyde Park is billed as a race.  Yes you have to pay to enter it but all the other rules still apply.  Give way to other park users and don't race anyone at the finish.

Say what?
    Indeed.  Kinda goes against the whole 'racing' thing.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

My RB handicap has dropped from 11.4 to 7.6 in 5 weeks simply because of the above pretty average run outs.
    Proof entirely big boy.
    Meanwhile my RB has sunk, as I've only done a couple of 5.03 miles in the last 2 months, and a non counting XC.
    I have a lower RB than some local guy who i've probably beaten 20-0, but he's turned out more.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Stevie G said:

Say what?
    Indeed.  Kinda goes against the whole 'racing' thing.
    I think I missed a step here. No-one says you're not allowed to race at the Hyde Park 5k  :|

And no-one, bar those who love to chinwag and dawdle 6 abreast on 2 or 3 lappers will moan about racing at parkruns either in fairness.
  • A while ago (some time in 2016) I remember coming down the final straight at the Hyde Park 5k.  Two runners in front were battling it out and there was marshal screaming their head off shouting "don't race!".  Things may have changed since.  I don't know.  
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    The last friday of the month one? That's really bizarre.

Either something unusual was going on, or one of you or the marshals misunderstood the situation  :D 
  • Yeah that one.  

Perhaps.  Who knows.  We're all becoming far too soft these days I think.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    The only two times I can remember being told to slow down in a race, was by our captain. Once at the 12 stage southerns - which started with a bit of a downhill. So the mix of that, adrenaline, and 2-3runners within early catching made for a ridiculous start.

And on the other side of the can - finishing some gruesome XC, on some fair old hill.
    Our captain was a legend - telling me I had about a min lead on the guy behind, so told me to ease down.
    Unlucky to those who had do the opposite - not where you want to have to up the effort!
  • I'm glad Power of 10 widened their net particularly as they are funded out of your average running club members pocket. Anyway there's a very simple solution if you don't want your parkruns to be on there ;)

There are races bundled under  HM MT or 10k MT, 10k XC that are as varied iin distamce, terrain and profile as parkruns. It's just a label. Hardly worth losing sleep over.
  • Stevie G said:
    The only two times I can remember being told to slow down in a race, 
    There was quite an amusing moment in the parkrun on Saturday where none of the normal fast guys had turned up and so round the first corner the leader clearly wasn't used to, or expecting to be, leading and almost stopped looking over both shoulders as those behind also hesitated not knowing what to do before they all got over themselves and kept running.

At that point I was only about 5 yards back myself and had time to consider making a charge for the lead before they got going again. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I'm glad Power of 10 widened their net particularly as they are funded out of your average running club members pocket. Anyway there's a very simple solution if you don't want your parkruns to be on there ;)

There are races bundled under  HM MT or 10k MT, 10k XC that are as varied iin distamce, terrain and profile as parkruns. It's just a label. Hardly worth losing sleep over.
    Easy son, if we only chatted about important stuff, I dare say there wouldn't be many, if any posts on here!
  • It’s majorly stressful being in the lead. Not only do you have to go the right way but the people behind you feel so much closer than they are.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Stevie G said:
    The only two times I can remember being told to slow down in a race, 
    There was quite an amusing moment in the parkrun on Saturday where none of the normal fast guys had turned up and so round the first corner the leader clearly wasn't used to, or expecting to be, leading and almost stopped looking over both shoulders as those behind also hesitated not knowing what to do before they all got over themselves and kept running.

At that point I was only about 5 yards back myself and had time to consider making a charge for the lead before they got going again. 
    Always good fun. Have done similar, barking "which way" to someone behind, hoping they're being honest :)
  • muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Stevie G said:
    I'm glad Power of 10 widened their net particularly as they are funded out of your average running club members pocket. Anyway there's a very simple solution if you don't want your parkruns to be on there ;)

Easy son, if we only chatted about important stuff, I dare say there wouldn't be many, if any posts on here!
    I’m all for the unimportant, and you have a right to your mild indignation :) I just don’t see an inconsistency to get worried about. If anything the parkrun classifier helps distinguish the dodgy 5k results from the other ‘believed to be less dodgy’ 5k results.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I recall briefly leading a parkrun, which is odd because i'm usually about 25th after 300m so I was looking around along with a few other guys I knew at my level wondering where all the speedsters were. Eventually a lad that is about a minute faster than me who was there as a tempo sniffed an opportunity for glory so took the responsibility.

Yes, parkrunning every week has a huge RB boost. I know plenty that are well behind me on every distance but parkrun every weekend at circa 19.30 and so have a lower handicap.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I suppose you have to reward turnoutery to some level, in this sort of thing, along with in club champs.

As otherwise the fastest geezer can just smack a good time or 2 a year and hang about at the top of the cheese.

Mud- in my recent PO10 updating spree, it's probably a good thing they didn't add the local summer series ones for last summer (although they did without worry up to 2010)

If they let my 16.51 stand, for what had to be somewhere in the 15-20 secs or so short mixer, I'd have had a real world of pain trying to beat that!

I even sent it over with a "can you add NAD on" :D 
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    It’s majorly stressful being in the lead. Not only do you have to go the right way but the people behind you feel so much closer than they are.

When I won/finished first at Evesham parkrun, I got sent the wrong way by marshals numerous times as there was some confusion as to which way round we were running the course that week?! The first time the guy behind called me back but after that I was too far ahead and was just following the instructions which turned out to be incorrect. At one point the faster runners ended up running in opposite directions to the slower runners on a fairly narrow path which was fun. It was a bit stressful but fortunately there the course involved a couple of 180 degree turns each lap so I could see how far ahead I was.

9 miles this afternoon to go and fetch my car from the garage, which as luck would have it, meant running west and therefore into the wind. Lovely

• MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭
    Hi, just popped in, and having read back I now don't have time to comment.  But saying hello anyway.  I am running, and apparently getting a bit fitter  :)

• macemace ✭✭✭
    Blimey, not surpised Madbee, an absolute 'parkrun/RB/PO10-fest'  :s

Skinny, yes 2 x 20 so far, probably room for another

Ground to a bit of a halt this week as the PF was really playing up after Monday's 5 miler ( wasn't great on Sunday either ) and I was limping about on Tuesday. I felt like it was ok this morning but it was pissing down and blowing a gale so CNBA fairy paid a visit.

Ho-hum

• Call it a cut back week Mace

Hi Madbee

2003  B)
  • muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Hello Madbee, glad you are feeling fitter.

Keep wearing the shades Skinny!

Mini session for me yesterday, 4 miles progressive on the treadmill (av 6.20-ish) as it was raining at lunch . After being rained on all of last week and some of this week, I wound up with some blistering so while it was nice to stretch the legs out, it wasn't totally frictionless. The weeks only other 'efforts' came on Monday. But DT's 10x1k@10k totally trumps my 7x1k@mp from then. 

Planning 7 miles or so today to bring me to 50 for the week, 6 tomorrow, then Gloucester 20 on Sunday morning. That'll be interesting jumping in at the deep end with my first 20 mile run, and in fact my first 20m race. I will look to match the effort I put in to the 19m trail race I did before Hull last year and see what comes out. It could be a sufferfest with the blistering so going out to buy some toe johnnies protectors.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

So will this be a 76 mile week, Muddy?

Gloucester, if it is the same route as 3 years ago, it's a 3 lap course and each lap ends with quite a nice long sweeping downhill for a good couple of miles. Weather at least looks better Sunday compared to tomorrows mess.

Off out to tempo over lunch.