Overdone it?

Comments

• Hard luck David ...
     "this must be that infamous race day magic that those chaps on the forum were talking about, I'll be fine at this pace for the rest of the race". 
    Can we definitively nail this as bullshit now ?  :smile::wink:

Mind you, leggings on race day probably cost you about 5 minutes :wink:

• I'm hoping without leggings a sub 1:30 would be on! :wink:

Without opening up that debate again, I was surprised to pull out those times for miles 9 and 10 after having gone pretty quick up to that point.  Adrenaline and knowing family were just up head definitely helped. 
  • muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Actually I'm trying to understand where you lost it David ? As the mile paces come in well under 7.15 min/mile averaged out ?

Edit: Sorry I get it now - you were hoping to make up the difference to 90 min half pace in the last 5k !
  • Indeed.  As it was I was just happy to beat my target of 1:35 (and by quite a margin).  Sub 90 will have to wait :smile:

• Miles 2, 3 and 4 saw us running over Waterloo Bridge and along the embankment to Mansion House.  6:44. 6:39 and 6:47.  I'm still feeling OK by this point and just thought "this must be that infamous race day magic that those chaps on the forum were talking about, I'll be fine at this pace for the rest of the race".  Foolishly I do not slow down.

11, 12 and 13.  Straight along the Embankment, under the bridges and up to Big Ben.  7:25 (eesh), 7:12 and 7:17.  Back down to Embankment station, past the Corinthian hotel and onto Whitehall for the finish.  Didn't even have anything in me for the final sprint.  Thought bollocks to it and was just happy to beat 1:35.  Chip time was 1:31:02.  6:57m/m average.

I'm not going to beat myself up about how poor my race management was. Whether I would have hit sub 1:30 had I structured it better I'm not so sure.  That was always a going to be a bit of a stretch.  

I'll take the result all day and had a great day out with family and the thousands of spectators.

Yeah no need to beat yourself up - mahoosive PB >:)>:)>:) 

However if your stretch goal was 1:29:59 which is 6:52 then those 2,3 and 4 mile times were careless and you did well to pull that 7:25 mile back in miles 12 and 13 (suggests you didn't totally blow it).

Also 1:31:02 is almost the perfect interim PB to be able to attack a milestone from next time! :-)
  • McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    I was very puzzled by your race plan I must admit.  Is it a flat race?  Even pacing is always going to be your most efficient way of doing things.  But sounds like you put in a decent time anyway for a massive PB.  And with a better strategy and some proper clothes it'll be there for you next time.  (And you beat my all time best time by 5 seconds)

I'm always amazed by the amount of clothes people wear in races!  I don't race in anything more than shorts/vest when it is -5 out.  It was warm yesterday.  Man up and get your shorts and vest on.  
  • macemace ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    DT - i'm reading comfortable sub 3 for you off the back of that 20

Well done to both McF and DH ( Leggings !?! ... looks like miles 2 and 3 maybe a bit over-egged ). I think we all knew you'd beat 1:35 but 1:30 is a nice target now.

Yes muddy, the PF let me get out but not until Sunday. 20M in 2:49:59 which made me smile when i stopped the watch. So, again, a bit quicker than the previous one. No idea on HR as after about 90mins it spikes to about 180 and just stays there no matter what which is rather annoying. But it was nice and easy until then and only really started to feel it in the last mile.

PF was predictably uncomfortable this morning but not as bad as last week ( and that was without a weekend long run ) so managed a 5 recovery.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

David, well done! You should celebrate any pb and this now allows you to pb again, as Skinny says.

As mcf says, even in the depth of winter on a snow covered Stafford common with a biting easterly wind I was running xc in vest and shorts. Take a fashion jumper that has seen better days, wear it in the pen and discard just as the gun goes.

Well done on the 20, Mace. I do hope it all happens on race day. I have decided not to run an Autumn marathon for a variety of reasons so I only have one go this year.

4 mile recovery over lunch. Spin tonight.

• Mcflooze/mace, I know I know!  Leggings were a HUGE mistake.  Not sure what I was thinking really.  Even pacing was sort of the plan until mile 10 where I was just going to see how much I had left.  That all went out of the window though as you know.  

Thanks Skinny.  I'm going to get some more races booked up as having something to aim for really helped during training.  I'd be interested though in perhaps revising my training zones.  These are what I've worked to before, anyone fancy wading in and giving me a few pointers?  

Recovery  9:00+
    Easy         8:20+
    Steady      7:55
    Tempo     7:10
    HMP         7:15
    MP           7:40 - 7:45
    10k          6:40
    5k            6:20
    3k            6:07

Cheers

• Thanks DT.   There will be a ceremonial 'putting away' of my leggings this evening.  I have learned my lesson :smile:
  • Thanks McFlooze.  Pretty close to what I have at the moment pace wise.
  • macemace ✭✭✭
    10M this morning and the legs were feeling a bit groggy uphill in the last mile, but not surprising really as 35M is easily my biggest 3-day tally of this 'campaign'
  • Keep it going Mace you're nearly there - that uphill last mile is a metaphor for your 'campaign'.

My 3 miles this morning got me to 53 miles for the year :)
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    not long, Mace and you can taper!

Tommy, we've had conf that we have qualified for Nationals. I'll stake my claim to a place if someone who ran Midlands cant get there. 
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    Good news, DT. I'm not sure how they work this stuff out, it all seems a bit random. It looks like Rugby and Northampton have been reinstated so we've been pushed down to 26th but we've also had confirmation that we've qualified. I'm sure someone somewhere knows what they're doing. I'm really disappointed that I'm not around. 

Easyish 7.5 miles last night. Leg's felt a bit heavy, glad of a rest today.  
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Mcflooze/mace, I know I know!  Leggings were a HUGE mistake.  Not sure what I was thinking really.  Even pacing was sort of the plan until mile 10 where I was just going to see how much I had left.  That all went out of the window though as you know.  

Thanks Skinny.  I'm going to get some more races booked up as having something to aim for really helped during training.  I'd be interested though in perhaps revising my training zones.  These are what I've worked to before, anyone fancy wading in and giving me a few pointers?  

Recovery  9:00+
    Easy         8:20+
    Steady      7:55
    Tempo     7:10
    HMP         7:15
    MP           7:40 - 7:45
    10k          6:40
    5k            6:20
    3k            6:07

Cheers

What are your most recent achieved race paces?

On first glance, I wonder if that MP needs tweaking down 5secs (perhaps 7.35-40), and allow yourself a 5sec zone on the HMP (7.15-20)

• Stevie G, 19:43 5k and a 1:31 HM on Sunday.  I took a quick look at the link McFlooze posted and I think I can afford to bring down the MP a bit more.  

As Skinny said a while ago, my goal HMP (7:15) i think is now closer to my MP.  Perhaps I can go somewhere in between at around 7:25?

I have a 10k lined up  in May along with the frequent 5k in Hyde Park.  I'd like to enter more 10k and 10 milers this year too.  Feeling a little lost after the half on Sunday as to what to do next!   Just need to get some booked up.

Cheers

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Presumably this guy is just a namesake?

https://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=916450

Had to take a second look, as he'd done a 19.42 at the 5k I know you've mentioned doing a few times!

But he's done a 1hr 21 half last year too...

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    So, you have a 19.42 5k - that's 6.21 pace, and a 1hr 31, i've "gambled" that it's a 1.31.30 for the reading, which is 6.59, call that 7.00 for the maths...

So a bit of an imbalance versus your current zones. I can imagine that sessions would feel a right doss if you're working to a 7.15-7.20 zone for HM, when you've raced at 6.59!

Therefore, I'd probably set the HM zone for 6.55-7.00 and work the rest out off that.
  • Yeah that's not me.

1:31:02 was the official time so I think 6:57 average.  Minor difference I guess but yes, I reckon that zone has to change now.  I'll put a goal HM time into the calculator to get an idea of the rest of the times.

Cheers 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Presume you mean you'll put the recently achieved Half time in as the "goal", rather than what you are trying to get to... otherwise you'll find the zones get a lot harder :D 

• Ah yes.  

I'd like to pay attention to feel and perceived effort whenever I can too and not get too hung up on times, though I realise they're a good way of measuring training.  I must make my easy runs easier too.  Far too often I've gone out at what I thought was easy only to feel quite tired the day after.  

Discipline is key! 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Good thinking. On both
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Yes I noticed on strava your easy runs were getting faster. You tend to run them quicker than I do and my mara pace is faster than your hmp by circa 5-10 secs a mile.

Easy 8 over lunch. Very nice out.

• McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    What does everyone think about doing a hardish Parkrun 8 days before their marathon, instead of doing the 3 x 1m at 5k pace on the plan?  
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I've always done a full on parkrun 8 days before a mara. 
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I'd do that too McF, or I've sometimes done the short leg of the national relays 8 days before (along with loads of other people!).
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    DT19 said:
    I've always done a full on parkrun 8 days before a mara. 

Likewise.
  • McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    Excellent. I'll do that then.