Overdone it?

Comments

• DT19 said:

Just had a light full body sports massage, rest day today. 
    Full body :hushed:

You might have got away with that DT if Muddy hadn't just experienced the fickle finger of fate.

I hope you didn't tell him your internet name was muddyfunster before he plunged in his digit!

• I didn't mention a 'he' Skinny ... :p

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    It was a she and perhaps I'll call it 'almost' full body. 
  • I didn't mention a 'he' Skinny ... :p

For the fickle finger of fate test I choose a male doctor when given the choice. I like a clear line between medical and sexual experiences.

Good luck to THE Marathon runners this weekend.

I think it's Muddy (first time running THE Marathon?) and DT (aiming for first London sub 3) with Mace probably giving it a miss based on his last postings on here. 

• Yes, good luck to everyone running on Sunday.  Conditions are looking good.  I am slacking this week.  Not been feeling great and then helped my brother move yesterday so absolutely shattered today.  Will try and get out for a trot around the LFOTM race.  We'll see.
  • It was a non-invasive PSA test thankfully Skinny :sweat_smile:

This will be my fourth marathon - 2nd London. Previous London 2017 was my second marathon (2.50.58) when I was ruined for around 6 months afterwards rehabbing the gluteal tendinopathy and declared 'never again!' after it. So, err, never again, once more into the breach !

Good to all on the thread and lurkers too !
  • ps my number is 30241 for anyone wishing to track
  • RAH45RAH45 ✭✭
    Good luck to all those running London this weekend. Enjoy and suffer in equal measure 😃

• Damn. I had to step off the course. That's my first ever DNF. I went off cautiously but just felt worse and worse as the race went on. No injury,I was just not feeling right in myself. By 8 miles I was feeling like death warmed up and spent the next.5 miles agonising about whether I could continue, then 2 miles at a much reduced pace to see whether I could possibly get round before pulling the plug on it. Oh well, there will be other chances, I'm sure.

It's a right faff getting back to collect your bag though. It made me wish I'd walked from 15 miles, especially as you draw a lot of attention on the tube looking like the tango man.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that Muddy. What was issue?

my plan was 1.29.30 first half then rinse it. Went through in 1.29.24 feeling less than average but then i went for it. 2.57.56 which was delightful. Sliwest mile was 26 at 7 dead followed by 6.55 mile 1. 
  • PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    So sorry, muddy, that's tough to take after all the preparation.  It's not like you can run another in the near future, unlike shorter distances.

Wow, DT, you really smashed the sub-3!  Fantastic time.  Congratulations [party hat, party hat].
  • McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    I was watching you on the tracker with deepening anxiety, Muddy. Glad you're ok. Might you look for another soonish marathon? Or just smash some shorter stuff?

DT - great work. Your pacing was bang on. Any issues with vomiting and roaring or are you past that now? Looking forward to a classic DT race report when you've recovered. 
  • McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    We've just got back from a weeks holiday so not much to report apart from I did a few runs whole away and a ten miler today making 25 for the week. Going to make a concerted effort to get a bit leaner now. 
  • muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Congratulations on the big pb DT, it’s been coming for a while and you’ve certainly earned it.

I will speculate on a virus being the root cause of my race demise. It was like the shattered feelings I'd been having in the previous weeks. Both my 5k marathon effort rehearsals last Sunday and Tuesday felt pretty awful and it wasn’t much different today after 5k.

Cheers Pete, it’s only a race and I didn’t dig myself into a hole, just recognised that as an outcome and called it a day, so theoretically I could jump back in, although I won’t. Plenty of time before Hull 2019.

Edit: I was cursing the tracker McFlooze as I knew vanishing would cause worry. I will rest and try to see what comes out of the woodwork, but I did have plans to race shorter.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Mcf, ive had some informal counselling for it and so far 3 races in and whilst not perfect i am improving lots and not suffered to any real degree. My slowest mile yesterday was 7mm at mile 26 with the last 0.4 om gps at 6.38 pace and i strided down the Mall arms aloft as i sprinted the last 100m which is stark contrast to last years horrific last mile. 
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Well done DT! I was watching you on the tracker and, by contrast with some of my other runners, your pacing was absolutely metronomic in the second half. Really pleased for you.

Muddy - that's a shame, and I reckon you should get a ferritin test as well as the other blood tests, as it's such a common problem for runners and easily fixed with supplements. After that time I collapsed in a race the doctors didn't find anything wrong and put it down to 'mysterious virus', but a year or so later when I finally had ferritin rather than just haemoglobin tested it seemed pretty likely that low iron levels were also involved. 
  • I asked about ferritin but they didn't do it as part of the review (haemoglobin only). It's also hard to present at a GP and say I've been running 50 miles a week and feel knackered and expect anything other than laughter. A GP runs with us so will enquire as to whether she knows a way in.
  • Muddy - pleased you are okay and sure you made a good decision to stop whatever the reason - 26 miles is not to be messed with if you're not feeling okay.

I wasn't watching live tracker but I did look just after the race and saw you had got to halfway but then gone missing. I was going to post on here and ask if you could confirm you were okay but then realised that would only alert others to your missingness.

As you say live tracker is great when it's tracking a completing runner but when it becomes 'possibly not alive' tracker then it all becomes a lot more concerning.

• DT - WOOHOO!! Great to have a great marathon experience - well earned and deserved.

My work colleague who has a 34min 10k went out looking for a 2:45 when he maybe should have been looking for 2:50 - anyhow the wheels came off and he just scraped a sub 3 hour in 2:59:11.

My point being that finding a pace you can deliver a great marathon at isn't easy and you've probably learnt the hard way. Well done again.

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    Muddy - tough luck but sounds like you made a sensible decision to call time on.

DT - awesome! Was tracking you for the second half and was impressed by your consistency and control. Very well deserved. Bit of time off and then get to work on sorting your shorter distance PB's out!

I did pretty much the opposite of the London marathon yesterday, a short sharp fell race, basically 2 miles up to a trig point, including climbing over a couple of gates, and then straight back down (600ft of elevation gain and loss. Much of it was on a gravelly/rocky trail so very runnable (on the way down) but one wrong foot and you'd probably smash yourself to pieces. Splits tell the story; 9:07, 7:47, 6:37, 5;56, 5.34 (pace for the scraps). 25th place and enjoyed it a lot, quads are a little sore this morning though.

Enjoyed tracking loads of people at London (not so much when muddy's stopped updating). Couple of my fast club mates were toe to toe over the first half both going for a long standing club record (2:32xx). Through halfway together in 1:13.xx and then one of them pulled away to finish 45th overall in 2:27, followed in by the other lad in 2:30.02. Amazing scenes! 

• Well done Tommy - where was the fell race?

I watched the marathon in the gym and cycled for 2 hours - managed just under 39 miles - I couldn't stop myself shouting out when that girl fell just before the line and then crawled over but everyone else had headphones on so no one noticed. 

• McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    That girl falling was awful, Skinny.  Made me cry.  Watching THE marathon always makes me emotional though.  

We had three chaps from the club running together at about 2:40 pace for a lot of the race.  Then two of them who'd respectively already done Manchester and Boston faded away and only one finished at 2:42 (other two around sub-3).  Very exciting though.  
    And then my friends husband (who are the guys we usually stay with when we do London) managed a 2:27 which is just brilliant.  

Charlotte Perdue was awesome as well.  Great to see the joy in her face when she finished top 10.  
  • Someone just re-tweeted me that McFlooze. Horrible to see and I really felt for her. I see her on the canals round Birmingham and she has beaten me at parkrun recently. I saw her coming in the opposite direction looking grim and white as a sheet out of Canary Wharf when I was umm-ing and aah-ing about whether to press on. She is an awesome runner and hard to believe only a couple of years ago was too shy to race.

Well done on the fell run Tommy.

Does anyone want to know about the DNF experience ? :) Hopefully not for future reference...
  • McFlooze said:
    That girl falling was awful, Skinny.  Made me cry.  Watching THE marathon always makes me emotional though.   

Charlotte Perdue was awesome as well.  Great to see the joy in her face when she finished top 10.  
    muddyfunster said:

Does anyone want to know about the DNF experience ? :) Hopefully not for future reference...

Hmmm have to admit I got a bit teary a few times but can't work out if that is the sporting moments thing or just envy/regret that I'll never get to do it. The first time on Sunday was when the wheelchair racers came into finishing straight and Buckingham Palace appeared behind them - think that one was definitely an envy/regret one.

Charlotte Perdue so doesn't look like a marathon runner - if you saw her in the street you would never ever guess she was the third fastest UK female marathon runner ever - it's pretty hard to imagine even whilst you watch her running it.

Hell yes - if you shit down your leg even better!! 

• McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    Yes definitely, Muddy!  

I agree.  She's absolutely tiny and doesn't look really skinny like some elites do and you don't look at her and think "great form" or anything.  Just goes to show that runners come in all shapes and sizes.  

Interesting to see some of them cross the line and look fine, not sore at all like they've just been for a jog, and some of them cross the line and instantly can hardly walk. And all elites so you would imagine all very well prepared. I'm definitely in the latter camp!  
  • Had to laugh when they were showing the last of the starters and there was a pacer for 7 hours - a 7 hour pacer!! WTF. 
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    Skinny - Wirksworth in the Peak District, it's definitely more of the trail variety rather than true fell race. Will hopefully get a few more fell races in ove rthe summer. 

Muddy - yep, now we know you're ok give us the full details!
  • McFlooze said:

Interesting to see some of them cross the line and look fine, not sore at all like they've just been for a jog, and some of them cross the line and instantly can hardly walk. And all elites so you would imagine all very well prepared. I'm definitely in the latter camp!  
    Yeah and Kipchoge looked like he could have turned round and run it again not much slower. Amazing performance. The way he blew them away at will from 24 miles was amazing.
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Muddy - I pretty much just told my doctor what test I needed and why, and what the results ought to be. But I guess I had the advantage of (a) being able to give precise instructions from my coach, and (b) half my GP practice being runners (some for my own club) so they were more likely to be convinced in the first place. When the results came back it was important to discuss the actual numbers with the doctor as opposed to just ringing up the practice, because the recommended level for athletes is higher than the bottom of what's considered the 'normal' range.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching the marathon on TV, btw. Much less effort than actually running it.
  • Unlucky muddy :(  as you say there will be plenty of other races/opportunities.  Like others I wouldn't mind hearing about your experience.

DT - massive well done chap.  That pacing is brilliant and a result of all of your hard work/roaring.

I too get a little bit emotional watching it all.  I am always blown away by the elites and how fast they run.  The look on Kipchoge's face, so focused and professional.  It's a shame Mo couldn't hang on for a little bit longer but ultimately he probably made the right choice in not chasing.  He looked very comfortable in the first half too.

I managed a 2 sec PB at the LFOTM Hyde park race.  Very happy with that considering how I felt on the start line.  Let's just say the cafe at around halfway looked very inviting....

Well done to everyone who raced on Sunday too.