Overdone it?

Comments

• Silly question Skinny but what governs the order of the columns?  Is it the 10k time?     

Loving the idea of a Platinum league!  Not that I'd ever get there but it's nice to have something to aim for.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

yes, it's 10k time, David. The reason for that is that it was the common distance that everyone on here had run, whether they be track or mara runners.

happy birthday, muddy.

• Thanks DT.  And yes!  Happy belated birthday muddy.  Missed your reply on the last page - apologies.
  • PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    I've got an idea too: bronze basement.  I could be the only inhabitant and have all the pretty brown cells.
  • MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭
    We used to have bronze - it was what made me dare to post on the thread!  

Happy birthday for Tuesday, Muddy.  

Those are the only cells I stand a chance of keeping for the moment - and promotion to the gold league will never be on the cards while 10K is the measure  :D I did, of course, attempt the LT session.  Struggled though, and nearly threw in the towel after the first 12 minute section.  A bit of a talking to, and some gasping at the traffic lights (please don't change, please don't change...) saw me through the next two (10 mins and 8 mins), but it was a lacklustre effort.  Looking forward to an easy one this evening, then a club jolly over to Whinlatter parkrun in the morning, just for a bit of fun.  I will probably end up with the buggy, so am predicting a lot of walking!
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    How about your 10K PB being time limited or degrading over time (similar to how Run Britain handicapping works)? Although I'm not sure how that work in practice...

Happy Birthday for earlier this week, Muddy. 

Your barefoot experience sounds interesting, Skinny. Shame you felt like it was a bit rushed but hopefully you still found it useful. 

Good work on getting the LT session finished, Madbee. Is that a Daniels session?

Not much happening from me, just some general running around. Had a very enjoyable, although also very wet, run in the Cotswolds earlier this week after escaping from a conference. Will probably jog round a parkrun tomorrow which will be my 100th (not telling the organisers though as I don't want the happy clappy bit).     
  • Tommy2D said:
    How about your 10K PB being time limited or degrading over time (similar to how Run Britain handicapping works)? Although I'm not sure how that work in practice...

Not much happening from me, just some general running around. Had a very enjoyable, although also very wet, run in the Cotswolds earlier this week after escaping from a conference. Will probably jog round a parkrun tomorrow which will be my 100th (not telling the organisers though as I don't want the happy clappy bit).     

Yeah good luck getting the person who updates the TTT who hasn't been able to run properly for 2 and a half years to agree to that.

Have a great hundredth - I remained anonymous when I did my 50th - sticking up your hand for a clap not my style either.

Madbee I didn't know there was a parkrun at Whinlatter until I read your post - it will be hilly and all trail I would think - just looked at the course records - 19:56 female record - sounds like it will be a good workout but certainly will be a nice start to your day and leave you stuck in a beautiful part of the world for the rest of the day - are you staying over here at the moment?  

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    Skinny - yeah I did think it would be a bit harsh on those injured etc. 

I think Whinlatter is the 'hardest' parkrun in the country (based on average Run Britain rankings), it's uphill most of the way as the start and finish are in different locations. I will be at Mount Edgcumbe parkrun (second hardest in the country) which is similar in that it is net uphill but does have a decent downhill - which is a bit scary in places, similar to a fell race descent.  
  • Skinny - :D  What an experience...loved reading it, hope you take something from it that proves useful in your comeback pursuit. 
    Thanks for slotting me back on to the TTT. And yes, you're right, 31:00 officially for the 5m. The confusion at the delayed start I guess. Next time there's need for an update BTW, I've now increased in age to 48 and in weight to 11st 8lb. Not much I can do about the former, but the latter I hope to bring back toward the 11st 3lb of 2015 over the coming weeks.

Some decent running being reported, DT's monstrous 10 x 1k @ 10k pace being the stand out. Jeez!

Disappointing double at our Club Track Champs for me last week, although an enjoyable event as ever. A bit of the fizz of recent weeks had already gone flat, and I felt straight up tired on the day as well as having a bit of a grumble in my right achilles. My warm up was a bit rubbish (too much chatting to others idly jogging around!), and although I still attacked the 800m as I intended to, the concentration clearly wasn't there. 

In a very fast heat, I was surprised to hear 71 at the bell when I'd hoped to go through in 68. Kicked like fury from there, and came close to catching one clubmate but there was no response from the legs down the straight. The second lap was also around 71 which was fine for a second lap in itself at this stage, but the 2:22.9 I clocked was 2 seconds slower than at Charnwood last month, when I was hoping for 2 seconds swifter.

Was going to can the 1500m at that point, but got tapped up to try to pace an U23 lass to 4:55. Got her through 300 and 700 metres bang on pace, but didn't hear the split at 1100 as I urged her to kick as it was being called, though suspect we'd lost time on the tricky 3rd lap anyway. We were again catching others on the final lap, but with 4:59.1 I failed as a pacer with the pacee just the wrong side of 5:00. 

Have taken some of my own advice since then, as think there's been too many sessions and races, so just done lots of jogging about. Felt much fresher yesterday, so considered a light session today, but a gentle acceleration during what would have been the warm up still felt too much like hard work, so just did some leg speed followed by more jogging after. Only just over a week to go to the first target race of the season (5k), so have abandoned plans for the final peaking session and will just bank what's already in there. Rest day tomorrow, and then a few days to sharpen up and try to recover some momentum.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Bob, I've been feeling a bit flat post London and put it down to cramming too many races in too soon afterwards.

Easy 15 yesterday so finally back to my non mara training long run distance. It felt much longer being out for 2 hours than it did last time I ran that far.

• Good post Bob.

I managed to finish last week on just under 40 miles with a long (and slow) 14.5 miler down to the Thames Barrier and back on Saturday.  A lovely route but it has absolutely no shade at all and it was baking.  Stopped off halfway to soak my cap and then carried on.  I'm hoping the next long slow run will be much easier.

5k race on Friday so going to be taking it easy this week with lots of slow stuff.
  • MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭
    Hard luck Bob.  Sounds like some jogging about is the right move though, hope you feel a bit fresher for the next one.

DT, it's amazing how quickly you adjust to shorter runs...  I'm doing 10-12 at the moment as a long run, and was thinking while I was out on Sunday that I can't imagine doing twice as much.

Tommy, hope you enjoyed your tough parkrun.  Sounds harder than Whinlatter actually - there was plenty of up, but nothing super steep, and the downs were just lovely!  The LT session is Pfitzinger, but I think there are quite a lot of similarities with Daniels plans.

Skinny, it was a running club day out, so no overnight stays, but we had a lovely social meander up Latrigg after the parkrun, followed by a couple of pints of Jennings back in Keswick.  Love being over there, I hadn't had a Lakes fix for a while.

Two mile time trial yesterday with the mum's running group I go to on a Monday morning (which is better than it sounds :D ).  Pleasantly surprised to clock 12:45 to be first in, including a modest negative split, so maybe I was just being a bit of a fanny about being tired, and a sub 20 5K is potentially not a million miles away again on a good day.  The rest of the week will be light in prep for Endure 24 at the weekend.  We have a mixed team of 6 and are just in it for a giggle, which is good given the weather forecast of hot hot hot.  
  • kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭

Madbee, very promising for a sub 20 after the time trial

Bob/DT some easy running to get the smiles back

David good luck for Friday

Ran 11.5mls progressive as it turned out on Saturday and 9mls last night.

• muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Good luck with Endure24 Madbee, a group from my club will also be there (but not me!). Lovely parkrun outing.

Kevin, you seem to do some pretty long training runs and a lot of miles - seeing any improvements ?

Fingers crossed an easy period will restore your badness Bob, and same for you David.

I took an easy few days after the 10k a week last Sunday, including two rest days, then when my legs were restored did two back to back mini-sessions on Saturday and Sunday - a mini fartlek (roughly half the 3x (3-2-1) ) on a hilly grassy circuit then 18 mins at threshold round the reservoir on Sunday for first finisher at Great Run Local.  Postponed my big mileage day until after work yesterday and managed 13.3 miles over about 98 mins in high humidity and was coated with thunderbugs by the end. Got home and burnt my lasagne - distracted by Love Island !

Local 10k race on Sunday, though looks likely to be a scorching day - probably will keep it in as a threshold run.

• Yeah I've just looked at the forecast for Saturday.  Definitely not conducive to fast running.  I think I'll try and venture out in the morning for a long run and be back by the time it hits the mid 20's. 

Good luck for the Endure24 Madbee, seems like you're approaching it with the right attitude :smile:

Thanks Kevin, well done on the long run.  

Unlucky with the lasagne muddy.  There was no risk of me burning dinner last night.  Leftover sandwiches from a birthday picnic at the weekend.   Thankfully they're all gone now and i can look forward to a hot meal.

Grateful if the spreadsheet could be updated to reflect that I am now 36 years old! :blush:
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Happy birthday, David!

Muddy, yes, despite trying to ignore it when my wife puts it on, I was drawn into last night love island excitement.

Nice progressive, Kevin.

Best of luck with the endure event, Madbee.

Yes, it's looking pretty warm over the coming days. I have the opposite situation to Muddy in that it is the local beer festival weekend for me, an event which you really want it to be nice weather.

Glad to get this weeks main session done and dusted today. 10 x 800m at 10kp off 45s. It started off all very relaxed in the first half, then the shorter rest period caught up with me in the last few. I held it together better than last weeks session however. Still not quite as fast/comfortable as I want it to be though.

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    Madbee said:

Tommy, hope you enjoyed your tough parkrun.  Sounds harder than Whinlatter actually - there was plenty of up, but nothing super steep, and the downs were just lovely!  The LT session is Pfitzinger, but I think there are quite a lot of similarities with Daniels plans.

I did. Well, in hindsight I enjoyed it, at the time it hurt quite a lot. Managed to knock 30 seconds off my previous best time there to sneak under 22 minutes which was the rough aim. Splits of 7:15, 7:26, 6:12 and 7:51 pace for the last little uphill bit tell the story. Longer term I'd like to get below 21 minutes, I think sub 20 on that course is probably beyond me (only 30 people have achieved that in the 3 years of the event). I had a look at the profile for Whinlatter and whilst there is a bit more elevation gain, as you say the uphill isn't particularly steep.

God luck at Endure 24. I've done a couple of 24 hours races; both as part of a team going for the podium and as a social, the latter approach was infinitely more enjoyable!

Another decent sounding session, DT. When's the target 10k?

Good mileage, Kevin. Have you got a race coming up?

Mainly jogging about this week interspersed with some time keeping for the first 2 of the races which our club host. Thursday's race should be 'interesting' as we've already had to alter the course thanks to a drum and bass festival combined with torrential rain completely destroying the paths around the country park where the event is held. The council had managed to sort out the paths to a certain degree but the most recent rain will have messed them up again. Lovely.

The next race in the club fell race series on Saturday which is also a counter in the Notts County fell race championship so will give that a decent go before a long run in the baking heat on Sunday.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Tommy, first target is Magor 10k last Saturday in july. However i suspect that will come too soon so the main target is Telford in December. 

i don't think it's due to be too hot Sunday. It looks set to peak saturday. 
  • kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭

Muddy, threshold/pb ;)

Tommy Good luck for the fell race, looks like heat wave for a few days

7mls tonight, might be sweaty with a few bugs to inhale, just carrying on with miles over the past while, no races until September. We have a local 10k in August and may aim for that

• muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Kevin - No it's a very up and down course - I'm usually at least a minute down over that course, and most likely going to be two minutes down.

DT - Does Magor fill up ? Might be one for me to consider. I've never done Telford, and haven't done the Abbey Dash for a while. A mass fast race could be just the ticket in the Autumn.

7m fartlek run last night with 8 x 90s fast bits planned in. The first few were really awkward as I tried to get to 10k effort, but by the end I felt much better and the 90s bits were flowing well.
  • Nicely done muddy.

Another easy 5 miler done this at lunch.  Easy pace and just not feeling it at all.  My body feels tired and at times quite weak.  I am not sure if I'm managing to just keep something like a cold or flu at bay but whatever it is it's annoying me.  5k race planned for tomorrow and not really looking forward to it.

/negativenanny 
  • kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭

David, hopefully tomorrow race conditions will give you that wee incentive

Muddy, good reps

7mls last night, going to get out hopefully for 5mls tonight, bit toasty for my liking though B)

• MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭
    David, hope you perk up a bit. I've felt like that for a few days, but then a time trial on Monday gave me that little bit of race-feel oomph and I managed a surprisingly decent effort and feel better since - I wonder if we sometimes get into a bit of a rut with easy running and a sharper session can improve things.  Good luck for the 5K.

Muddy, nice session.  90s isn't very long to get to 10K effort I guess at the beginning.  

Kevin, yep, a bit on the warm side!  5 miles shouldn't be unbearable though I guess. 

Club run last night, then I had a potter out this morning before it got hot.  Quite enjoy running Mini Mad to nursery, but I do get some funny looks on the way back with an empty buggy :p 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Muddy, yes the last few years Magor has sold out about 3 weeks prior to the event, so imminently. Telford will also sell out very soon I would imagine.

I have an 8 miler later, albeit at the faster end of easy, so that will be a warm affair no doubt.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    It's not that warm where I live. Quite pleasant, in fact. Though still warm enough for me to be quite tempted to go and jump in the sea instead of working this afternoon.
  • Big-Bad-BobBig-Bad-Bob ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Cracking time trial, Madbee - that's very encouraging. Good luck at Endure - find some shade!
    DT - 10 x 800m @ 10k off 45s is another pretty brutal sounding session. Well toughed out.
    Good luck on the fells on Saturday, Tommy. Looks like being hot work.
    Looks like you're still going well, Muddy, and you're notching up some good miles, Kevin
    Much running going on Lit & Skinny?
    David - Does seem you've been bogged down for a while now. What sort of pace are you running your easy runs at? For reference, when I was knackered last week, I dropped right to the bottom of easy pace - so 5k pace plus 2:30/m to 3:00/m. (Around 8:30/m to 9:00/m.) What about rest days? Hope tomorrow goes well, but if not, a week of easy jogging with a couple of rest days might be worth considering. 

Certainly seemed to do the trick for me. Went out for a short run on Tuesday lunchtime before marshalling at our club's summer series that Tommy mentioned above in the evening, and could tell right from the off that the freshness was back, with some mid-7:xx/miles dropping out relatively effortlessly on an undulating route. A fairly light hills session yesterday to try to sharpen up again, followed by an easy double today. Will probably take another rest day tomorrow, and then get a handful of 400s and/or hills in on Saturday/Sunday to try to get to the line on Tuesday sharp but still relatively fresh. Briefly considered a trot out at parkrun Saturday morning to have a double bite of the 5k cherry given what looks like favourable conditions, but think I've talked myself back out of that one.
  • N.B. Forgot to mention - one for Pete if he's lurking. I remember him being impressed with Peter Giles of King Crimson fame setting a Mile age group record in the same race as me back in 2015, so he'll be pleased to see that he is still setting age group records.

3000m British record in the V75s on this occasion, with Clare Elms also breaking the F55 record in the same race:

• DavidHaydon83DavidHaydon83 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Easy runs are now anywhere between 8:30 and 9:00 per mile.   The majority of my running recently has been easy.

I just seem to have hit a bit of a rut, that's all.  I'm taking it for what it is and not overly concerned.  Definitely have a bit of a bug as last night felt a bit fluey (is that even a word?).  Sore muscles, overheating etc.  Going to skip the race today and see how I am next week.  It's all good.  Might see if they need any help at either of the local Parkruns :smile:

Well done on the miles everyone.
  • PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    Bob:  Wow! That's speedy for a V75.  Doubt I could manage 4mins for 1km at the moment.  Certainly couldn't maintain that pace for 3km.  Impressive- especially given the normal rock 'n' roll lifestyle.
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Hello Bob! I am back running - I'm back up to 35-40 miles per week (it went 33, 37.5, and similar this week unless I squeeze in another short jog on Sunday; long run tomorrow). I've just been running easy though and not doing any sessions, because (a) I like easy running and (b) I don't really feel I benefit from sessions unless I've got a decent base mileage. I probably am ready to start going back to club sessions now, but can't next week as I'm away at a conference, so I'll just do another week of easy runs and then start back at the track the week after.