Overdone it?

Comments

•  Skinny - I would love to have you by my side in a crisis.
    You'll have to slow down a bit then!
  • London, Kevin.  So I have a bit of time yet.  Are you marathoning this year?
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Hello all, I've been ticking along, mostly getting wet. The racecourse here is yet again flooded and out of use.

I had a low end 6m tempo on Tuesday night so had to run up and down a 2m stretch of the a38. It was 1c and very foggy so not much fun at all. However that came out at 6.42mm for a very low 153 bpm (usually I take a mp session at 160bpm). I seem to be very efficient at running between 6.30-6.50mm.

8m easy run on Wednesday, followed by a 3 x 2m at threshold session last night. Again racecourse was flooded and couldn't face that pace on a38 in dark so planned to do in track. However I was home by 5pm and track wasn't available until 7.30 and it was lashing down so just did it on the treadmill, just working to HR. wasn't brilliant but the job was done.

Up before work today for 6m recovery in, you've guessed it, pouring rain. Rest day tomorrow as i'm out out tonight.

• Manchester for me McFlooze

Quality sessions DT

Did 7mls easy on Wednesday and attempted some faster miles today, 4 to be precise and it came out at 8.24 pace, felt like a bit of an effort over the last mile. Need to try and pick up sessions weekly to try and get more comfortable. 14mls tomorrow, have a good weekend all.
  • Good work DT, 6.30 would be a nice pace to hit in a marathon ! I've been and got plenty wet this week with my running (mostly easy, but managed 10k around 6.3x one lunchtime from cold). Seen on Strava McF has been doing some great mileage this week.

Today I have post-crasti-poned my run until after work, where it will probably be on the treadmill if it's still pissing it down. It'll make me somewhat tired if I decide to parkrun in the morning, but would be good to maybe test out some 10k effort there at least. 
  • Following up my own post ... Tickly throat on Friday night/Saturday meant I went for a lie in, rather than a parkrun, followed by a very sedate trot at lunchtime. My throat was still tickling away yesterday and accompanied by a headache so I opted out of my long run. I feel better today so will see if I can slot in a long run at lunchtime or after work.
  • Hopefully nothing lurking Muddy and you get a run in today.

Managed 14mls on Saturday, a few hills too, 9mls tonight with running group and some festive hats.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    i was the most hungover person in the region Saturday so no running. 

Yesterday was still a bit squiffy but got up and out at 9 for a progressive, hilly 8. Started at 8.23 and ended with a 6.32 and every other mile was between was progressive.

Yesterdays 14 then shifted to today as i had to be back to go to panto by 11.

So a pretty sedate 14 at 9.30 at 8.05mm for a 139 ave bpm which is my best return on that loop looking at strava. 

Some more frivolity planned this afternoon and tonight but spin booked in for 8.30am tomorrow so need to not be ridiculous. 

Nice going, Kevin. Enjoy the festive trot.

Hope the long run went well, Muddy. 
  • You're all going well still DT, Muddy & Kevin.

I've been struggling to get out as much as I'd like due to work. I did see Bob on Saturday for some parkrun pacing duties, Bob was the official 20 minute pacer whilst I was the back-up and was going to keep my mate company on his quest to break 20 for the first time in 15 years (he'd done 20:01 a couple of weeks ago on a flatter/faster course). We were going well for the first lap but then my mate really started to struggle and Bob and his merry band of followers started to drift ahead of us. We ended up finishing in 20:20 which was a 90 second course best for my mate so he was chuffed and he really couldn't have given anymore, he was in a right state at the finish. Bob nailed it finishing in 20:00.

muddy - just realised that you beat by former club mate into second at your 10 mile race. He's a v50 now and on another return from injury (he's had some pioneering treatment to replace cartilage in his knees) but back in his day he was very handy and obviously still pretty handy now!

Hope everyone has a great Christmas!     

• Just popping in to say Happy Christmas everyone!  

My marathon training plan started today with 8 miles with 4 at lactate threshhold pace.  No recent road races/parkruns to go off so did it by effort and heartrate.  Came out at an average of 7.12 which I'm happy about.  About 25 secs a mile quicker than start of marathon training last year although I was coming back after the long lay off.  Still 17 secs slower than in 2015...and even further back if you look at my peak when I could blast around a 6 miles 6:42 paced tempo run on an undulating course.  But progress nonetheless.  

I think I've dropped a bit of weight as well which is helping.  Just need to limit the mince pie carnage and get back on it in Jan.  

Good long runs Kevin and DT and nice parkrun pacing from Tommy.  
  • Sounds positive McFlooze. Other than Muddy and DT I think most of us will struggle to get back to the thread golden days.

Merry Christmas everybody!
  • I'm sure you'll get back to it McF, just be mindful of overdoing it and get the rest and recuperation in. You too Skinny, you've retained a massive chunk of fitness through this period.

So I did a 7+4 long run replacement double on Monday, a 5k recovery yesterday and 7.5m this morning including parkrun in 16.40,which was (understatement of the year) a bit wheezy. Doing a 10k race around marathon effort tomorrow morning as part of a long-ish run, then tapering for my NYE 10k proper,though tempted to parkrun again on Saturday ...

Merry Christmas everyone ! 
  • 10 miles with 10k at half marathon effort this morning at the local Boxing Day  10k. Think it was about 36 mins bang on and I was around 5th or 6th. Some vid here (I come through about 1.15 in green) https://youtu.be/VdrehB8krjU

• Oooh, was that the first lady up your arse, Muddy?  Did you stay ahead?  That's a great time for not full beans.  

Today I shall be mostly sitting around and shopping online for kitchen appliances and then going for lunch with famly so no running.  Tomorrow I might have a crack at a flat Parkrun to see where I am and get some proper paces for training. 
  • Not sure how to respond to that McFlooze !  :D I did finish in front of her, 5th overall and 1st over 40. Good luck with the parkrun tomorrow. 

Complete rest day for me today then I need some miles in the bag, then recover for the 10k proper on Tuesday evening.
  • Conditions were great for the parkrun.  Not windy, fairly mild and not raining.  I went over to Warwick.  It's a newish course (was the 12th running of it) and the first time I've run it but my second most local run and pretty flat apart from a slight steady up and down in the middle - definite PB potential.  It goes out around the raceourse on gravel path for 1.5 miles, hits the road and does a u-turn back to the finish.  So only one annoying turn to worry about and no annoying lapping people.  

I parked at the Tesco a mile and a half away and jogged over.  Plan was to see where I was so ran by effort and tried to avoid looking at my watch too much.  I ended up right behind a woman I think in 3rdish place which helped me as I was trying to catch her.  Didn't but hey ho.  The laps came out 6:26, 6:37, 6:35 and then 6:11 for the scraps got me an overall time of 20.27 by my watch.  

That's the quickest 5k I've run since before I ruptured my cruciate ligament.  I think we need to go back to 2016 for a quicker time so I'm pretty chuffed.  I'm now wondering whether a few more weeks of training could get me sub-20 again.  But a good place to kick off marathon training anyway. 

Good luck for Tuesday, Muddy.  
  • Well done McFlooze! It’s great to start being able to slot time targets in again.

I also ran the fastest I have run for a good while this morning in doing the 3.25 mile winter parkrun course at Carlisle in 20:48 although I was in my light racers as I knew I was fittest I’ve been for a while so a slight cheat.

Must be close to 20 mins on a flat proper length course which would be exciting to see a parkrun time starting with a 1 again.

Good luck Tuesday Muddy which I presume is Barcelona again so enjoy Barcelona too.

Happy end of 2019 to everyone.

Cheers, Skinny
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Nice work on the recent parkrun and 10k tempo race, Muddy. Good luck Tuesday.

mcf that's a great result and bodes very well for the early days of a mara campaign. 

i also dragged myself to parkrun. A new one somewhere in Birmingham as worcester remains under water. It was only its 7th running and there were a couple of fast looking women on the start line looking to beat the course record of 20.xx.

Didnt get there until 8.40 so a short warm up lefting me talking myself out of any real effort. Went with the flow at the downhill start and felt ok. Settled in 6th place with leading lady charging off. Mile 1 was 5.56. Then the leading lady started slowing which spurred me on. i passed her and another chap in mile 2 to move to 4th with a 5.55.

Christmas caught up with me in the last 800m with a 6.01 then 5.42 pace for scraps posting 18.37 for 2nd consecutive parkrun. 

Happy with that given the festivities. Feel i need to be a bit braver at this distance and be prepared to hurt longer than 800m. 
  • McFlooze, great time and sets you up for the marathon with paces.

Skinny, quality time given where you have been  :)

DT, park run is meant to hurt.. so i've been told  ;)

Muddy, Good luck in Barcelona  B)

15 mls today felt gubbed at the end  :/  need to try and get some speed work over the next few weeks
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

well done on the 15 Kevin. What classes as speedwork and why do you need some?

I followed Saturday with a 6m recovery run sunday morning around Bristol, where I had been drinking the night before.

Today I had to go into work, so on the basis nothing would be happening I planned last weeks longish run over lunch so an easy 12m at 7.48mm. That takes me to 2145 for the year with a recovery 5 or 6 tomorrow to end the year.

• End of year review anyone ?

Same format as last year...

2019 Stats

Total Distance about 1350 miles but I'm a bit useless and my battery dies and I forget to record warm up's and stuff so maybe a bit more.

2019 Races (Tally/breakdown)

Power of 10 has me down for 47 events but that doesn't include the 10 fell races and some non UKA events, I'd guess at around 60 which includes 31 parkruns, 3 x road miles, 3 x road 5k, 4 x 10k, 2 x HM, 2 x marathon then a whole host of random distances from the summer league, Sutton Park relays, trail and fell races etc.

2019 Achievements

No PB's or county vests to report this year.

2019 Personal Highlights

Having a good go at some fell races including a couple of pretty savage ones. Really enjoyed not worrying about mile splits or pace etc and just getting enjoying running on the fells. I also ended up 3rd in our club fell champs and was up against some decent fell types so I was pleased with that. 

I also really enjoyed the relays at Sutton Park both in the spring and the autumn.

Beating my course best at Worksop half was also pretty pleasing.

2019 Personal Lowlights

Having the misfortune of attempting a marathon in baking hot conditions in the spring for the second year running. I felt like I was in decent shape and could maybe have PB'd. I also regret not doing a HM in the build-up to the marathon to take advantage of the fitness gains

2019 Poster of the year

Always close this one, but I'll go for Skinny. It's great to see you back running consistently and enjoying it

2019 Thread performance(s) of the year

DT with his perfectly executed London marathon or Muddy casually winning (unofficially) a 5 mile race whilst winning a 10 mile race. 

2019 Thread moment of the year

A couple of pages ago when we had 10 different posters on one page for the first time in years.

2020 Aims & targets

A couple of aims, including to race the half distance properly as my PB is well out of date and pretty soft I think.

I'm not doing a spring marathon after the previous two years but might be tempted in the autumn.

Will continue with the fell running too.

And as always to enjoy running and try and stay injury free.

2020 One to Watch

McFlooze. Some very consistent mileage resulting in a very decent parkun over Christmas, all bodes well for a good marathon campaign (if she stays off the snow).

• Lots of good stuff in there Tommy - 60 races made me take notice!

The training plan length for a marathon almost requires a half PB to get value for the effort if the day doesn’t work out as required. You could do a marathon training plan but not actually do a marathon?

Ditto for McFlooze and the staying off the snow comment :-)

I can actually do a proper one of these this year as I have run some races.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    60 races!!! I'll do well to have got to 20! 

I'll put my review up in next few days, need to wait for Muddy to race tonight first. 
  • 60 events, so over half of them are parkruns, of which only a handful were hard efforts, I mainly go along for a run with my mates and the breakfast afterwards. There’s also a couple of 5 and 10ks, a HM and a marathon where I was pacing other people, so it takes the raced events down to a more reasonable number.

Skinny - it’s not a bad idea although I’m not sure I’m committed enough to follow a marathon training plan and not do a marathon! It’s not that long until Cambridge HM so I need to knuckle down to some training soon. 
  • Congratulations on the parkruns McF and DT, good stuff and if the marathon training doesn't tire you both out, more to come. 

Tommy your review reminded me of that fell race picture where the runners are mere dots on the face of a sheer hillside. 

I managed 6m fartlek on Saturday morning, 90 mins of easy running Sunday morning (11.8 miles) and been doing some city tramping yesterday and this morning. 

Good long runs DT and Kevin.

The butterflies are starting to kick in for the race in a couple of hours :# Thanks for the good luck wishes everyone.
  • Good luck Muddy, last race of the year

Plenty of races in there Tommy, something i need to change in 2020 is racing more.

9mls last night and 5 today, hope everyone has a great year ahead running 
  • Cursa Dels Nassos 10k 2019

Another sojourn to Barcelona then ... as Skinny surmised up thread. Ever since I first started running I've set my sights on training for the Brass Monkey half marathon in January. This race in Barcelona, the Catalan National Championships, is the ideal curtain raiser for that half, falling typically two weeks before. This year was no different and for those unfamiliar with my previous reports from this race, it is a top quality field - a road race rivalled perhaps only by the likes of the Telford 10k or the Abbey Dash for numbers and for its incredible top end. I'm pretty much always in my best ever shape of the year when I get to this race but also typically at peak fatigue. This may go some way to explaining  why I've never ran a pb here, that and the course always seems to measure long at over 6.3 miles.

Off to the race then and my trip to the race is spent pleasantly chatting on the Metro to a runner from Preston over with her family. She's been running just a few months and already has an impressive 47 min 10k to boast of. Wishing her luck I head off for my warm up and, of course, it feels terrible. I'm used to this heavy legged feeling these days and cruise out 2 miles and hit the first of my strides. Ouch. That first one feels ungainly. Jog on, and aim for smoothness, and 4 more attempts has me feeling a bit more balanced.

Off to the start area and do a few drills for range of motion then into the absolutely rammed front pen. Many people in here have the wrong bib colours, contributing to it being even more jam packed than I ever remembered. We are called forward and I am about 3 metres from the start line and cannot move. Serious squashage and 20 seconds to start is called out. I can hold my breath that long. The start countdown starts at 12 with 12 bell tolls ringing out and then we are off, which is a massive relief but not without tons of peril. Shoes scrape down my shin, my calf takes a nudge and I'm buffeted left and right. Bloody hell !

It's a very slow start through the first 400m dodging limbs, then we round a corner and track along the seafront. I find a line along the gutter and try to get running smoothly. Surprised to see 1km pass very quickly. Cool, I think. A tenth of the race over and done with. A left turn follows up a ramp and then a sharp right onto a minor road. 1 mile up in 5.22. Always a worry to hit 5k pace in the first mile. I spend the second mile hanging a bit off to the left from the crowded inside kerb and feel conscious that I need to keep a lid on effort. 5.25 for mile 2.

Mile 3 starts to feel really hard and I can feel a little spasm occasionally troubling my right hamstring. Despite there being a little downhill here this comes in at 5.35, though there is a dead turn around a cone to negotiate. Pass through 5k around 17 mins so I'm a little (5s) behind where I was for my 10k pb (34.26) back in June. There's a slight uphill and I dig in with a bit more effort, and the hamstring spasm eases off. Maybe it was that downhill section ?

Mile 4 finds some improvement then with 5.29 clocked. Kid myself that there are only two miles to go and we commence our zig zag through the financial district. Just focus on rounding the next corner, and then leg it to the next, and so on, until the turn on to the long stretch back towards the finish.

Mile 5 is 5.23 and reached shortly after the 8km marker. The field is thinned out now and I am not feeling too comfortable and wishing for that 9km marker to hove into view, because there is maybe half a km beyond that before we turn into the finishing straight with its strobe lighting, smoke machines and series of arches that mark out the final 400m.

Mile 6 comes in at 5.12 and the final pelt through the arches of 0.3 miles has me 5 min/mile pace, though it feels like I'm running backwards. Approaching the line I can see the clock ticking through 34 mins and it takes me a further 14 seconds to cross it. Amused to see the winner of the women's race already being interviewed for TV. 

My official chip time was 34.09 so I am delighted to register a pb finally on this course :)

Happy new year folks :)

• What a superb end to the decade, Muddy! (Pedants can sod off. It wasn't the 20s, and now it is).

That's fantastic. Excited to see what 2020 brings for you as well. 

I'll do my highlights thingy later. 

I ended the year with a 13 mile run with 8 miles at marathon pace. MP selected on the basis of that Parkrun the other day so 7.35. It was a bit hard which I'm thinking is more a result of 2 13 miles only 48 hours apart. I frontloaded the week as we have the XC county champs on Saturday and I didn't fancy a pace effort the day after that! The last two miles were bit of a struggle but fairly pleased overall. 
  • Happy New Year everyone!

Brilliant time Muddy, absolutely smashed it!

Well done McFlooze, fully back into the swing of marathon training.

Kevin let 2020 be the year of races.

i ran my fastest parkrun of the year this morning - no idea what the time was but definitely my fastest of 2020!
  • Turns out my fastest parkrun of 2020 was one second faster than my fastest parkrun of 2019.  Ran 20:35 today which is also 13 secs faster than 4 days ago!  B)