Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    SkinnyPart2SkinnyPart2 ✭✭✭
    Rich - as I’m running and walking to/from work the sequence is almost automatic until Saturday.

Lit - we were second - the last round was a shit or bust zero the whole round score if you go for an answer and we were a couple behind so took a chance on the compass point of the Good Witch in Wizard of Oz - it was a 50/50 and we guessed wrong so lost by about 7.
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Haha I did 7M ... chicken dinner !!!

edit : shit, I bagged a duck egg yesterday, hope you did less than 3 ;-)
  • Options
    4, 4 for 8 so far but well done on 7 - makes rest of week easier. I’ll be at 9.5 by time I get to work in the morning. Cheers
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    I imagine Skinny in the news in 5 years time having broken the V50 world record for 10k saying how it was all possible as he used to run to work when he was younger
  • Options
    That'd be the v55 world record I think...

I had a slack-ish week last week - did maybe 25 miles ? I'm not properly recording runs just running familiar routes. Knee and foot soreness so pulled back on the mileage. I did a (recorded) 4.2 and 5.2 so far this week. Will try for 6.2 tonight.

Was it East Skinny ? As all I can remember is the wicked witch of the west ? Suppose I could Google. I am dreadful at quizzes. Went round to my cousin's place at Christmas and because I have a reputation for being brainy they wanted me on their side. But I knew sod all about 80s pop music and Disney princesses and everyone on my team lost faith in me.
  • Options
    That'd be the v55 world record I think...

I had a slack-ish week last week - did maybe 25 miles ? I'm not properly recording runs just running familiar routes. Knee and foot soreness so pulled back on the mileage. I did a (recorded) 4.2 and 5.2 so far this week. Will try for 6.2 tonight.

Was it East Skinny ? As all I can remember is the wicked witch of the west ? Suppose I could Google. I am dreadful at quizzes. Went round to my cousin's place at Christmas and because I have a reputation for being brainy they wanted me on their side. But I knew sod all about 80s pop music and Disney princesses and everyone on my team lost faith in me.
    I can confirm from that answer that you are dreadful at quizzes >:) 

The Wicked Witch of the West was really mad with Dorothy because her house landed on and killed her sister The Wicked Witch of the East - Ding dong the witch is dead, which witch, the wicked witch, ding dong the wicked witch is dead.

The 50/50 was therefore between North and South and we guessed wrong - actually Mrs Skinny said she knew it which is why we went for it but clearly she didn't!

On post quiz research it is far from clear what the right answer is and I'd need to hear the exact wording of the question again because it seems the answer is possibly inconsistent between the books and the film.

Be careful with that persistent soreness. Cheers.
  • Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Writing quiz questions is a minefield, especially with twatty participants doing 'post-quiz research'. At our local pub, the 'prize' for winning the quiz is two bottles of dodgy house wine and you have to write the quiz the following month. We therefore strive to come a close second, but recently when we didn't pull this off and accidentally won (there was a literature round, where I cleaned up), I did a 'local interest picture round' where there was 100% no chance of any alternative answers.
  • Options
    literatin said:
    .....especially with twatty participants doing 'post-quiz research'. 
    Nasty!

Actually what happened was I wanted to check which was right for when you guessed so I looked it up on wiki and discovered it was not clear. Mace/Muddy the V55 men’s 10k record is 32:02 - I think it’s safe!
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

Didn’t manage to get out yesterday which gave me the hump ( not had that feeling for a long long time )  but did get a little over 7 in this morning early doors.

I had designs on 8 but the last mile was up hill and having done 3 hills already and a fair chunk into the wind, it was beginning to feel like that last mile would be a bit of a slog so I put my sensible hat on and walked home.

14 this week so far meaning 3 days to get 9 for target 23. I feel good for at least 25 but wont risk the PF flaring up. Having plagued
    me for the best part of 3.5 years, i’ve been clear
    of it now for 6 months ( touch wood !! )

Starting to feel a bit easier ... the planned 8 is one of my favourite routes and only last week I was thinking I’m a long way off running that so to be within touching distance so soon is pleasing.
  • Options
    Good stuff mace. Keep it sensible - I'm not getting my pompoms out for anything other than 23. 

I'm on 19 - 4,4,1.5,8,1.5 - with a 2 and a 10 planned for the weekend.

• Options
    Rich Clark2Rich Clark2 ✭✭✭
    Very encouraging Mace. I got runners hump quite a lot in the first few months of return, now I'm just glad of a rest day!

On target for another solid week Skinny.

23 for the week so far with a very pleasant 10 yesterday.
    P&D week 2 but I've no idea if any of the paces I'm running are right, as I've no recent races so I'm just using pure gut feeling. Sunday's 13 with 8 at "MP" should be interesting.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

well done all. I am still very slowly building up my run distance and time running between intervals.

All being well another 2 weeks and I should start hitting 20 plus miles per week.

• Options
    Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    Nice to see everyone building back to some decent mileage.

I'm currently trying to edge up from 35 to 40 mpw. The thing I'm finding hardest is recovery. I dont seem to be able to run a session unless I've had a rest day the day before. My other half seems to think it's because I'm not as young as I used to be  :/
  • Options
    So your bottom half can't run a session without a rest day and your top half thinks it's because you're older than you used to be? ;)
  • Options
    I think sessions are overrated for the elderly MrV  ;) The old Middle Ground thread advice about going easier on your easy’s comes to mind.

I’m on 19 miles with Skinny - so far so good this week. I’ve enjoyed it and it feels a lot smoother. I will do a light speed session tonight - did 6x400m last week getting down to 72 seconds from 80 on the very rusty first rep. Will try for 8x400m later. Full recoveries on each - the objective is to get fast and efficient running form, rather than tolerating pain.

Good luck DT, hope the careful approach pays off. I’m glad you’re hopeful of an autumn marathon Rich. I suspect Manchester will be called off. I suppose I should start thinking about how I might train for it, just in case. June, July, August and a bit of September already doesn’t seem like enough time, with my longest run being 8 miles in the last 10 weeks.
  • Options
    kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭
    Looking good to hit your target this week mace  :)

Skinny nice week of running, enjoy your long run hopefully easy pace 

Hi Rich  :)

Plodding away mileage wise here, slow pace but getting the miles in, hope everyone is ok.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020

mr v, how old are you now and what steps do you take to assist recovery? And yes are your easy runs slow enough? 

Save for right now, I've had pretty much 5 straight years without an injury. I pay quite a bit of attention to recovery with recovery drinks, stretches, epsom salt baths and a range of devices. Also fluid in take and sleep make a difference.

I'm still eyeing that small local mara end of September.  it seems inconceivable that london or NY will take place. i just need to get a few weeks proper running in before i risk £45. 

Skinny, any chance of a table updated some point soon for my half pb in Feb? 82.11.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    much obliged, Skinny. If only people in my household wère as responsive to my request!

I did a covid 19 self test today. Extremely unpleasant process. 
  • Options
    Do you have symptoms DT or was it part of their random sampling ? My sister and nieces tested positive but have had very mild symptoms - snotty and washed out.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    just had a letter on week re random sampling.

To be fair, if you look at the list of possible symptoms i challenge anyonevto say they haven't suffered one or two of those since mid march. 

i have had a few recently which ive put down to hayfever. Obviously it doesnt tell me what's been and gone, just about the now. 

Finally set my bike up on turbo today so can start doing a couple of spin sessions each week which should help progress fitness. 
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    All our household except my youngest had persistent coughs for 3-4 weeks from mid December through to end of January. Timing seems a bit early but who knows !? My wife is convinced we’ve had it.

Another 5.5M this morning and I’m in danger of beating target and the cheerleader not getting his pom poms out :-(
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Most people i know are convinced they've had it. i saw an article today saying based on some extrapolation of figures some 19m in uk have had it.

My concern with the feasibility of people having it before March is that it isnt reflected in the death rates. Why weren't people dying then but they are now. 
  • Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    Death certificate would just have said pneumonia before March, presumably.  Also see: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52589449  and  https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/27/coronavirus-entered-uk-early-january-symptom-tracker-app-suggests-12614077/
    I'm not leaving lockdown any time soon!

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Hi Pete....im not so much meaning thecknown reason, though a suddennsurge in pneumonia deaths would have been noted. More the fact that reason aside deaths are up about 25% right now than 5vyear average.  That wasn't so before March. 
  • Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    There wouldn't have been many early deaths from covid19 so not noticeable in overall total.  But then... exponential growth!  Remember story of a king agreeing to settle a debt by putting a penny on first square of chessboard. 2p on next, then 4p etc.  His whole country was bankrupt before reaching the final square.  Hence why early lockdown, as in e.g. Greece and NZ, was essential.  Sorry, went back to maths teacher mode for a moment there!  Time for a bimbling, maximal distancing run :)

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    im just wondering how long they take to process my test. if i get my results next friday and it says i tested positive and should isolate for 7 days, the time is served by the time they tell me! 

You'll be pleased to hear ive added to my collection of peculiar devices in recent weeks with the below;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07HVRHRY9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_li-VEbKJ1859X

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07WRQTLT8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Ok-VEbMTEMQKK

The massage gun is a nice bit of kit for the money, it's £15 more now than what i paid.  The accu pen is a bit more of an instrument of torture. 
  • Options
    Hi Pete - how you doing?
  • Options
    PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    Hi Skinny and everyone else,

Glad to see that injuries are clearing up and you are all, especially Skinny, back running, even if not yet at full beans.  Long may you stay off the bench.

I'm staying alive - that's everyone's goal at the moment, right?  I was in London end of Feb/start of March and, soon after I got home, realised I had picked up a virus, I assumed from my granddaughter.  Nothing unusual about that, just a sore throat, headache and severe lack of energy but it dragged on for nearly 6 weeks.  My daughter is a doctor currently working in an ICU and she was ill at same time and had to stay home for 7days.  Could have been covid19.   No test for either of us at that time of course so we may never know.  Needless to say, with my "underlying health conditions", I am isolating and have no idea when I will feel safe to stop.  At least I have a reliable income and have done lots of overdue jobs around the house.  As lit will know from facebook, I also have a winning line on middle-class lockdown bingo: growing veg, zoom, country walks, sourdough starter, The Mirror and the Light.

So I did no running for those six viral weeks and at my age that leads to a huge drop in fitness and I wasn't particularly fit to start with.  Since mid-April I've been running, incredibly slowly, on alternate days.  Things gradually improving and this morning I did my longest run since January - 9.3km!  Onwards and upwards :)

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Good to hear you’re well K-man, skinny can  Pom Pom us back to fitness.