Overdone it?

Comments

• When you tell us you can't run because you've got blisters on your bollocks DT we'll know why :-)

When you can't even give your kids a hug sounds a bit weird that you can go and get a massage from a stranger.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Well my kids are still little so hopefully it's OK to hug them, otherwise i'm in all sorts of bother!!

It's OK I know him, I've been going there for 7 years now....

• I've known my eldest kids for nearly 28 years - not helping me in the hugging department at the moment so I can't see how knowing your masseur for 7 years is relevant.
  • macemace ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Well, I’ve managed to get a couple black toe nails and wondered if it was because of my socks as they do feel quite tight/restricted after a long run. I’ve done shorter distances before without socks so didn’t really have any worries about it.

Im still not sure if the socks are to blame for the toe battering but I’ve tried different shoe sizes in the past and nothing seems to help. I’ve always got at least a couple of black toenails, on my left foot usually. At the moment it’s numbers 2 and 4 ( big toe being #1 )
  • I've only ever had one black toenail.

I wear socks every run. You could try cutting the ends off your socks so your toes were free but your heel was protected?
  • 11.9 this morning before it got super hot for a 35 mile week. Plan for similar next week before a cut back.
  • Rich Clark2Rich Clark2 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Nice one Skinny. Really solid mileage. I've a slight thigh injury that cut my long run short today. I think I'm going to take a full week off seeing as I've managed to run injury free since last August. Might do a bit of cycling and swimming to keep me ticking over.
  • Unlucky Rich, take it easy.

I went out today when it was super hot and humid for an hour and a quarter, 10 miles very sedately. I missed a day of running this week in addition to my usual day off, so around 33 miles of running plus 10 miles of walking.

I feel minded to run tomorrow though, my usual rest day.
  • Nice one Skinny. Really solid mileage. I've a slight thigh injury that cut my long run short today. I think I'm going to take a full week off seeing as I've managed to run injury free since last August. Might do a bit of cycling and swimming to keep me ticking over.
    You've earned the rest Rich - take it easy for a week and let all those muscle improvements bed in.

Muddy are you okay about being furloughed?

• As a small personal milestone that means I’ve run 27 miles in last 5 days so a marathon in 5 days.

Next step 4 days.........
    Due to a heavy rain storm on Wednesday shortening my 8 to a 4 and then a herd of agitated, stubborn bullocks blocking my path on Friday meaning I had to retrace my steps and run nearly 9 miles instead of the planned 7 then I made a marathon in the last 4 days.

8.8, 2.4, 11.9, 4.2 for 27.3. Next step 3 days...…

Last night's run was also exciting in that in my attempt to beat the impending thunderstorm I ran a bit faster and the last 5k was in 21:21 which is about 6:50mm. 

I think Tommy ran a way faster 5k than that recently on his own but for me that's fastest I've run solo for ages.   
  • muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Skinny - Yeah it’s ok, we have very little business right now and it solves a few childcare headaches. I’m treating it like a sabbatical, catching up on management training, house stuff and working on a couple of little prototyping projects that I could never get off the ground at work. In terms of running, I missed a day on Tuesday but I did some form work with 5x400m around mile pace in the middle of an 8 mile run yesterday.

Edit: Oops, nearly forgot  ;) turned 50 today
  • Happy birthday Muddy! <party popper smiley>

Just think of all the cleaning up you're going to do in races over the rest of the summer in the V50 category...:-(
  • 4.2, 1.7, 8.5, 1.7 for 16 miles so far this week. It's been a bit humid and sweaty.

How's it going Mace?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Happy bday Muddy (looks for party emoticon then realises there isn't one these days?!)

Roll on the return of racing, as you'll be an absolute menace in that category - it's almost not fair!

Skinny - loving a quick scroll back at your recent posts - looks like you're in a really good place.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Happy 50th, Muddy. I guess it depends where you race now as Worcestershire is v40, v50 etc. Warwickshire is v35, v45. Though of course you've already plundered the v45 cat in any event. 

I'd have quite liked a spot of furlough, though being an employment lawyer there's no chance. Now that the furlough scheme is closed off and ends in 4 months, every bugger is making redundancies particularly with those on 3 months notice. 

Skinny, sounds like you are still going strong. 

I continue to hammer the turbo trainer and getting some pretty big sessions in. Im not missing running so much now i have something like this to properly get my teeth into. 
  • Happy birthday muddy 🎉

Relentless progress from you Skinny.

Are you using zwift DT? 

4 days off is plenty for me I reckon. Going to hit the local trails after work tomorrow to see how the thigh is. No pain at all when walking or running around after the little un. Fingers crossed
  • macemace ✭✭✭
    Good luck Rich

Happy 50th muddy

As SG says, good to see you on it skinny 

My poxy blister flared up again ( despite covering with a plaster ) just from walking the dogs in trainers Saturday morning so 10M total last week has been followed by a big duck egg this week, but walking 4-5 miles every day in flip flops.

Finally it’s almost healed up so I think I should be good to go tomorrow

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    Happy birthday for earlier this week, muddy. 

Good consistency, Skinny, nicely done on the fast 5k. Much more difficult doing it solo too, I reckon you'd be close to 20 minutes in a race/parkrun. 

Glad to hear you're well on the road to recovery, DT. 

Mace - I had a spell of getting blisters, bloody annoying and painful. 

I didn't manage much running last week but about 65 miles on the bike so that should keep me ticking over. Thinking about entering the England Athletics virtual 5K in July to give me something to aim towards. 

England Athletics have announced their proposals for getting races back; it very much seems to be focused around club races and leagues rather than mass participation events but at least it's a start. Very happy to see the autumn road relays are part of the plan! 

https://www.englandathletics.org/athletics-and-running/news/update-on-competition-planning-2020/?utm_source=emailmarketing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=safely_distanced_1&utm_content=2020-06-18
  • kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭

Happy Birthday Muddy, 50 club :)

Skinny good progress and nice wee 5k

Rich/Mace hope runs went/go ok

DT, good to see you are enjoying the bike

Tommy plenty of virtual racing going on with our local running club

Had a few days of with a niggle, 3 miles yesterday seemed ok

• macemace ✭✭✭
    I did a tester 3M last night and then 11M this morning and all is good, though toe nails are a bit tender and this morning was getting a little uncomfortable in the last mile 
  • Sounds promising Mace.

5 miles on the local woodland trails yesterday after work and nearly 9 this afternoon. Leg feels fine, so probably get out for another 10 or so tomorrow. Not too bad a week after planning zero running at the start of it. 
  • 13.5 today for 36 for week - time for an easy week.
  • Thanks for the birthday wishes. I have zero chagrin at not being able to log a race as my foot is an issue and my fitness is way off.

30 miles ish for me within a relatively free week. It would have been more but felt like crap on my run today - foot, humidity and general malaise bothering me so cut it short at 8.3 miles. 
  • 13.5 today for 36 for week - time for an easy week.
    Sorry for above sentence - lucky I didn't run 14 miles for a 44 week and thought it was time for an easy fortnight!

Is a week off out of the question Muddy?

• https://entry.eventsupnorth.co.uk/races/eex5t

What do you all think about this? Seems well dodgy to me. 
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    That is indeed very dodgy - especially as it crosses the border into Scotland, where groups of 6 people from different households are still not allowed. If we don't move into phase 3 by 18 July they'll be breaking the law by the time they get to Gretna. And if people run too fast or too slow they'll all be mixed up anyway. They do at least say they (will) have public liability insurance, though they clearly can't get normal race insurance from UKA. You'd have to be pretty desperate to get back to 'racing'...
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Oh and hello everyone! I took the week before last off work to 'go' on 'holiday' (i.e. stay in my own house and do lots of sleeping) and accidentally forgot to do much/any running (due to being asleep), but managed to get back to 33ish miles last week. I'll be astonished if London happens.
  • macemace ✭✭✭
    Well done, decent miles all

I ended up on 24 last week and have done 5-4-4-5 so far this week. Sod running any longer in this heat, it was proper sweaty at 7am today 
  • Very good Mace - yes it's been hot.

I've done 2-2-6-2-6 with another 6 planned for Sunday.

Unless I have a change of heart today will be the last day of my sequence. I've run every day for last 8 weeks but I don't want it to become a thing so time to kill it.

The little 2 milers to work slotted into the days that would previously have been blank don't seem to have done me any harm but no idea if those extra 6 miles over 3 days are as valuable as one 6 miler or not (I suspect not).

My average weekly mileage for last 9 weeks will be 30 miles but if the 2 milers don't count that would bring it down to about 24.

Provided the Sunday run goes okay I'll start the schedule from the start of the thread on Monday - modified to 12 weeks from 14 by removing 2 weeks when I was injured/ill.

Have good weekends everyone. Cheers, Skinny.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I think there's some benefit in the 2 milers in the same way as someone running 100m  week would get benefit from a 5m run. As a proportion of your overall mileage it's the same thing.

I have started to pick the running back up, so far 1 mile, 10 mins and 13 mins. Up to 15 mins tomorrow then 17 on Wednesday for back to back days. All being well I should be up to something resembling normal running by the end of July, just in time to go on holiday for 5 days and do no running!

Until I'm up to something decent mileage wise I am keeping the turbo sessions in 5 days a week.