Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭

Progress DT and still managing some running.

Ankle sore today physio booked for next Thursday for phone consultation, looked on the internet for some stretches, so no running for now and concentrating on stretches. Frustrated as I had built up a good base period over the past 5 months :'(

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    Around 20 last week

Feeling a bit better by the time I went out last night for a walk. I then trod in dog shit 2 seconds off my driveway and almost got run over by a kid on an electric scooter as I stood cursing, so I took it as a sign and gave up on that idea.

• Options
    Very Victor Meldrew mace !

No running again for me this week, just a daily walk which aggravates my foot still. This will bring up three weeks of zero miles.

Nice session Skinny.
  • Options
    Fair play skinny - that 3*2 mile session in very encouraging. I have to echo others in say there must be a decent amount of natural talent lurking in those legs! It's a shame the 50miles seems to break you - have you ever tried a block of 50+ miles of all easy running?

Very frustrating Kevin, but you won't lose that base overnight, can you do any bike work to keep on top of the cardio whilst off running?

Dog turds are one of the things that get my blood boiling... I've lost count of the number of times I've fantasised about lobbing left excrement through the dog owners letterbox/car window. 

Hope you're able to continue the increase in running DT.

Only 19 miles for me last week after spending the whole weekend with a bad back after moving some ridiculously heavy furniture. Still pretty sore but well able to run. Been out a couple of times this week and started wearing HRM again so I'll be able to bore all and sundry with the stats. Early indications seem to suggest I can increase my easy pace a little. More easy miles for the rest of the week.
  • Options
     It's a shame the 50miles seems to break you - have you ever tried a block of 50+ miles of all easy running?
    Yes I think my London Marathon training that fell about 4 weeks short was made up of nearly all easy running plus an MP session once a month. I'm just a fragile flower.....
  • Options
    Week 2 complete.

4,10,2,0,8,0,14 for 38 total.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Good work, Skinny. 

Week 3 of my back to running schedule complete with 16m for the week hitting 30m today. still smashing the turbo a good 4 hours a week. The good thing is easy pace hr has brought me in at 8.02mm last two runs. 
  • Options
    Progress DT.

By 2021 when we are back running competitively you will be ready.
  • Options

This weeks session was 6.5 at MP within a 10.5 mile run. Following first 2 weeks I've decided to change my zones to 7:00 MP and 6:40 HMP with the rest changing accordingly.

Miles came out 6:48 (oh FFS), 6:59, 6:57, 7:01, 6:52, 6:46 and 7:00 pace for last half.

Average of 6:54 - next 2 weeks are a bit easier.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Very good, Skinny.

Funny, after the several years where Muddy and I were doing the bulk of running and posting, just as a few others get back going again we get benched. 

Decent run tuesday, 30m again and came out 7.58mm for 140bpm. Yesterday was 32m with 5 x 1 min tempo effort off 1 min. Tempo paces came out in 6.30s but it's difficult to judge how sustainable that us with just 1 minutes effort. Now im running over 30m i can venture a bit further from home and get onto some of my favourite loops.

Got straight back off yesterdays run and did 45m speed endurance on turbo. Was pretty knackered by the end. 
  • Options
    DT19 said:
    Funny, after the several years where Muddy and I were doing the bulk of running and posting, just as a few others get back going again we get benched. 

Not only am I repeating the sessions from the start of the thread 8 years ago but I'm also virtually talking to myself like I was 8 years ago. :D
  • Options
    I'm content to sing when I'm not winning DT ...

Fourth week of nothing but walking has almost finished. Foot still unhappy about even that. I really can't wait for the physios to open up and get this looked at. I will do a Mace style weigh-in once I start running again.

Good session Skinny. Zones humbug aside  ;)

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Are physios not open, Muddy? ive had 3 chiropractic appointments and one with the back consultant. 

.Do you have bupa? you could get an MRI. 

Pretty high intensity turbo session earluer, proper vomit inducer. Weight edging down again now as well. 
  • Options

Miles came out 6:48 (oh FFS)

This is exactly how every first rep of every session I've ever run turns out  :D

How did that session feel Skinny. When I was marathon training (before it was cancelled), the 8 @ MP felt way too tough - although on less mileage now I think I'd find it pretty straightforward.

Great progress DT - combining a bike and run session - you're not considering a move to the dark side of triathlon are you?!

Sorry to hear about the foot Muddy.

How is the ankle Kevin? Any joy?

Plenty of dog poo free miles I hope Mace?

My back seems fully recovered now. Fell short on miles again last week (26) but more down to poor time management on my part at the weekend. My Sunday run only being 7 miles. Made up for it on Monday with a solid 9. Hill repeats last night with one 550 metre stretch (6:30 pace - and a strava segment course record i'd been eyeing for a while) and then 6 x 250m which all came out at around 6:00 pace. Should get my 30 miles in this week.

I've next week off work and we are staycationing in the purest sense (staying at home) so plenty of running opportunity. 
  • Options
    No, they’re not open until next week DT. But obvs the NHS and BUPA are still operating. I don’t have BUPA, and I‘ve always got short thrift taking running injuries to the GP and suppose I’d get less shrift with the current video appointment system.
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    Doesn’t sound good, muddy but take encouragement from the fact skinny was virtually retired not long ago and now he’s knocking on the 3 hr marathon door !!! 

Getting there DT 😊 

Not had a lot of opportunity to tread in any dog turds, Rich. 

And that’s because the CNBA fairy is back. I managed 4M on Monday after a week off and I’d have been struggling to hang off skinny’s coat tail for the last quarter mile of that at a blistering 7:15 pace ( the quarter mile was 7:15 pace not all of it !!) .... and then had to stop !! 

I look at this temporary abstinence as an essential element of my comeback and injury avoidance smile:  

• Options
    kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭

Banging out the sessions skinny, great to see, pacing defo not my strong point

DT good to see you progressing again, biking not my thing but never say never :D

Muddy I had physio over the phone earlier in the week, very frustrating trying to explain injury, hope you can get something soon

Rich, hopefully the weather is good for you next week to maybe get out and about

Still no running here, 3 weeks 1 run, but injury seems..... to be clearing up, may try something next week :s

Have a good weekend everyone

• Options
    Rich - I blame it on the strides in the third warm up mile so I reckon the 6:46 is made up of the first 0.25 at something ridiculous and then the rest at the proper pace.

Mace wtf are you playing at? My pom poms are going back under cover. I'll give you a sneak peek if you manage 4 runs next week.

Kev fingers crossed for you and be patient Muddy - feels like you've had a really good run without injury - lockdown has been a good time to be injured from a race perspective (if not from a general exercise viewpoint) and hopefully the physio will have all the answers once you get to see them - your reports of physio visits has always made me feel like mine don't know what they are talking about so here's hoping they have the magic cure.  
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Muddy, yes I tend to bypass gp and pay for some form of physio.

Hang in there, Kevin, it'll improve.

Mace, this is upsetting news!!

Rich, what was up with your back? I won't be venturing near triathlon as I don't swim, I have however been looking at duathlon, though to be competitive you need to spend a few k on the best kit sadly so it's slightly prohibitive.

34 mins today nice and easy, followed by 45 mins on turbo.

35 mins tomorrow with 5 x 2 mins at tempo.

• Options
    Week 3 complete

4,2,10.5, 2, 6.5, 0, 15 for 40 total.

Cutback week next week with about 30 miles similar to above but only 5 on Sunday.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    nice work, Skinny, 15 is a nice long run distance.

Yesterdays run was 36min with 5 x 2min. The 2min reps came out 6.15- 6.30 to my surprise. 

5 day run week next week  will see me hit about 25m. Starting to sound like proper running. 
  • Options
    Nice bit of pace and 25 miles will certainly be enough to see you climbing back up the fitness level hill - keep patient though.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    im glad i have someone setting my runs as I'd be at 50 mpw by now. 
  • Options
    Below is from Lakeland Trails website - I wasn't aware that something this significant had changed - what's the crack?

'We’re really excited that the latest Government guidance, released on Friday, allows for the resumption of sporting events exempt from the current limit on mass gatherings, subject to them being organised in a ‘Covid-secure’ way (which, of course, we’ve already given a huge amount of thought to).'

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Well, ultimately UK Athletics has to give the green light after the Govt. I wasn't aware of anything other than relative normality being resumed by November.

36 mins this morning for 4.4m.

• Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Skinny - I don't think much has changed, apart from that England Athletics has moved to Step 3 on their return to racing schedule, which only really means that track and field events can happen. 

The government have released this:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-guidance-on-phased-return-of-sport-and-recreation/guidance-for-the-public-on-the-phased-return-of-outdoor-sport-and-recreation

Which includes stuff like the below, so I guess the Lakeland people can take all of it into account in their risk assessments then they are good to go when England Athletics move into Step 4 of their return to racing programme. 

The course

Event organisers must ensure that pre-start assembly areas, the start line and holding areas are designed so that participants do not need to assemble at the start of the event in a manner which conflicts with social distancing guidelines. Event organisers should consider rolling start times to allow social distancing to be maintained.

The capacity and density of the participants on the course should always allow for social distancing. Organisers should consider pinch points on the course before, during and after the event and manage them accordingly in align with government guidance on social distancing. Other features such as entertainment should be withdrawn.

Potential contact points such as the handling of medals, timing chips and numbers should be managed appropriately. Participants should be discouraged from bringing any equipment, baggage, or clothing that is not essential for their participation in the event, and should as far as possible, make their own arrangements for safe storage. Where these need to be stored centrally, only the owner should handle the equipment. If others need to handle it, strict hand hygiene measures should be observed.

If essential to event safety/participant wellbeing, access to feed and drink stations should be provided in such a way that social distancing can still be observed by officials and participants. Mitigations should be put in place to ensure risks are managed as much as possible in these environments.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    That doesn't sound like London is going to announce in 8 days time that it's all on. 
  • Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    Skinny - Good to see you keeping the consistency up, some very encouraging sessions too. 

DT - Looks like you're well on the way in your recovery now, as Skinny says don't overdo it.  

Muddy - hope your physio can get you back up and running sooner rather than later. 

mace - Hope you manage to get back to it this week. 

Rich - how's your back? Manage plenty of miles last week?

I'm still hovering at about 15 miles a week of running, which is better than nothing I guess! Last week was my highest ever training week, with 100 miles cycling and 15 miles running; this included at 53 mile bike ride with 5000ft of elevation gain in the sunshine on Saturday. That's my longest ride to date, hopefully going to edge that up to 62 miles in a few weeks just to tick the 100k box.    
  • Options
    That elevation gain on the bike should be good for your general leg strength Tommy - whereabouts are you cycling?
  • Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    South Devon - so my rides generally include Dartmoor and coastal areas, both amazingly scenic but relentlessly hilly.