Overdone it?

Comments

• macemace ✭✭✭
    And another 3 today

My easy pace seems to have slowed by about 30 secs a mile after less than 2 weeks off !!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Rest day from running yesterday but did a high intensity turbo interval session.

Todays plan is 4m easy, immediately followed by 45 mins on the turbo, then  a 6m progression run tomorrow.

It'll probably come back just as quickly, Mace. Each time I tried a comeback the first few runs were a complete mess.

• SkinnyPart2SkinnyPart2 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    At least you're running again mace.

Sounds like you are going to beast a duathlon once events start up again DT.

My mid week session got delayed until this morning due to a visitor at work.

10 miles including a continuous 6 with first 3 at MP (7:00) and then 3 at HMP (6:40).

Felt a bit heavy legged in the 3 miles and the strides but not the first time and then session has gone fine but I knew when I started the MP it was going to be a struggle and once I got into the first mile of HMP no way I was going to make it.

Remembering coach's advice that better to modify a session than give up I forced out the first HMP mile then had a 2 minute breather and ran the final 2 with 1 at MP and 1 at HMP.

So failed session looked like this:-

6:56, 6:56, 6:59, 6:41, 2 minute unplanned rest, 7:03, 6:39.

Still ran 10 miles and not a disaster but my zones are obviously not too soft now!

I'm off camping at weekend for a few days so just going to bin off the running for 5 days and accept I'm losing some mileage - perhaps rest will give my legs a chance to catch up some training gain.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Well adjusted Skinny.

That session is certainly one you need to feel bang on for in all ways.
    If it was anywhere near as humid as it was down here at midday, i can imagine it'd be a nightmare to try!
  • You can't nail every session Skinny, and fair play for modifying on the fly. I would have probably just binned the session and sulked for the rest of the day  ;)

Well, after Ireland's announcement that it's not progressing with the easing of covid restrictions as planned, my 5 mile race has been cancelled. I knew it was too good to be true. Tonights 5k handicap is on though, although I've found it that its a point to point rather than a loop and it's mainly uphill. Still, be nice to give it some beans with some fellow runners.

Went to the clubs sunday run "easy 10" - turned out to be 13 miles and 1500ft of elevation gain, average pace was around that of my normal long run (which is normally relatively flat). Definitely not an easy effort by any stretch. Apparently they aren't nearly that hard, and I think I got some kudos for keeping up with the front group.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I suspect this is life for a while, Richard. Basically you can't book anything like a race or a holiday with any guarantee it'll go ahead.

Sounds like a tough run. There is some caution to be ha din my experience with club/group runs as they don't cater for individual needs. On the flipside in sessions it's great to pull you along.

Skinny, yes, always something to gain in circumstances like that with a simple modification.

10k progressive this morning starting at very easy pace (8.48) and ending about mp. Went out at 8.30 to beat the silly heat but unfortunately it was still very hot so the mp miles at the end felt pretty hard going.

The VMLM announcement was interesting, particularly the virtual race that you can get   a champs or gfa place for 2021 from !!

• macemace ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    3.5M this morning for 4 runs and 13.5M total, may do another tomorrow.

Cant say it was particularly pleasant, I planned 5 but it was soooooooo humid I called it a day when I was puffing and panting trying to overtake a pensioner who seemed to be cruising !!
  • PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    Another 50km week in the bag :)
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Well done, Pete.

mace, any miles today? 

Out for 10 today. Last time I ran 10m was injury day, 5 months ago to the day.

i got out at 8.30 yo beat heat and it was lovely and cool. Amazed how comfortable it felt, like I’d not been away. Average pace of 8.01mm for 142hr. Feeling now like I’d barely run. So 32m for  weeK which must also be 50k ish. 
  • Rich Clark2Rich Clark2 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Friday night was the James Lawlor 5k memorial. Just a small inter-club 5k handicap. I'd put my predicted time down as 22 minutes assuming it would be a fairly flat course. As it turned out it was a point to point including 2 big hills in the second half. It was very difficult to pace, but somehow i finished in 22:03, and 6th (actual time) out of 30. Pretty pleased with that, I think a low 20 minute time is there on a flat course. Felt so good to be racing again. I'd forgotten how much the adrenaline and having people to target pulls you along.
  • kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭

Rich promising for when we get back racing :)

Managed 7mls Monday and 5mls last night. Out tonight for hopefully 6mls but its very warm :/

Hope everyone is doing ok

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Sounds great, Rich. I look forward to that feeling!!

Kevin, has the injury cleared now?

I've had a decent week despite the heat killing me. 4m easy Monday followed by 45 mins steady on the turbo, then a 7m progressive Tuesday morning starting out at 8.4x and ending 6.3x. It was pretty warm and I picked a hilly route so a decent work out. Yesterday was ridiculously hot here but I managed to get onto the turbo lunchtime for a pretty high end pyramid interval session. Then 4m easy this morning and will hopefully get on turbo later.

• macemace ✭✭✭
    It sure has been hot

3 very early runs so far this week , 5,5 and 3. And a 12 walk with mrs m yesterday from Folkestone to Hythe and back all
    along the seafront.

Another full year notched up on this mortal coil today and still no racing as a V50 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Session  Friday of 4 x 1m tempo of 0.5m easy. Left it a bit late going out so the sun was out and it was warm. Anyway 6.37, 6.28  6.26 and 6.31 for the rep parts so pretty pleasing. 

High intensity effort at spin yesterday morning then easy 11m today for 34m for the week. Not terribly far off where I see normal (non mara training) to be. 

Off on hols next week Monday-friday so cut back week.  
  • ouch, hope you're  better 
  • Hi everyone - been away/on holiday at home last week.

Well done Rich on the 'race' - doesn't sound like a PB course at all but great to be racing people again.

Hi Pete - regular 50km weeks - good stuff.

DT sounds like you are back to near normality and just a case of building back the fitness now - well done - nice speeds on those 1m reps.

And most importantly - happy birthday mace! <party popper smiley>
  • After my failed 10 mile session on Thursday of week 6 I binned off rest of week as on hols on Sunday and had a lot of work to do on the Friday so week 6 become only 16.5 miles.

Last week I was feeling a bit hot and tired to do a session so instead I just ran some miles and on Sunday Mrs Skinny came with me on her bike which made the 14 miles seem much easier.

So week 7 was 0,6,7,10,7,0,14 for 44 mile week.

Now extended my 12 week plan to 14 weeks and will redo week 6 with the 3 at MP then 3 at HMP and see if I can manage it this week.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Sorry, I'd  missed Mace's  50th announcement, when did that happen?

Big shout to Lit as well from what I saw on Facebook. Perhaps she will pop in and tell us all about it? 

Well skinny, you aren't chasing a raceday with a race day as yet so worth repeating a week for that steady progression.

4m recovery this morning then a drive to Devon for a brief holiday. Run tomorrow for 6m ish. It seems either up or down hill here from a brief scout in the car earlier.  
  • DT19 said:
    Sorry, I'd  missed Mace's  50th announcement, when did that happen?

Big shout to Lit as well from what I saw on Facebook. Perhaps she will pop in and tell us all about it? 

Well skinny, you aren't chasing a raceday with a race day as yet so worth repeating a week for that steady progression.

4m recovery this morning then a drive to Devon for a brief holiday. Run tomorrow for 6m ish. It seems either up or down hill here from a brief scout in the car earlier.  
    Mace is 53 now I think.

Congratulations (presumably) Lit - I don't have Facebook but assume you are now Not Married.

Enjoy your holiday DT 
  • Hello! Yes, now not-married a bit ahead of schedule. We had to postpone the big party till next year and cancel the planned ceremony in Lancaster with family which we'd booked for end of August, so decided to just go to the local registration office with a couple of witnesses. But it turned out that (a) registration offices were still closed, and (b) you can get married anywhere you like in Scotland without the premises being licensed, so they said we'd have to do it outside but there was loads of availability on weekdays. So 28 days later, in the back garden, Sparky got to be Best Dog. Our next-door neighbours witnessed it, and our other neighbour piped us into the garden down the close.

Otherwise, not much running going on, I'm afraid. Been a bit busy/tired and there's no pressing need to train for anything anyway.

• SkinnyPart2SkinnyPart2 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Haha - congratulations - I hope he (?) remembered the rings and didn't make a too embarrassing speech.

• Last night it was time to reattempt the session I failed a couple of weeks ago. 10 miles with 6 continuous effort, first 3 at MP (7:00), final 3 at HMP (6:40).

I must admit to approaching this with a lot of negative thoughts but once I got set off it was a lot easier than last time. I struggled in the second mile of the HMP but got through it and breezed the last mile.

6:57, 6:59, 6:57, 6:38, 6:37, 6:26

4 easy in to work this morning so week has been 4,0,10,4. 
  • (very) Belated Happy Birthday Mace.

Hope you're having/have had a good holiday DT.

Congrats Lit. Hope you don't have to postpone the party for too long, definitely the best part of getting (not) married.

Nice going Skinny, it's kind of nice not having target races to pile on the pressure of nailing sessions first time.

I've been having some Achilles issues (both sides), and after a trip to the physio last Friday for a massage/(physical assault!)  I've been doing my stretches and hot/cold treatments religiously whilst taking a break from the running. Still getting a bit of pain, but I can walk fairly normally when I get out of bed in the morning now! Going for an anniversary meal this evening and then will try a couple of miles on Friday to see where I'm at. Really missing the club runs, and itching to get back.
  • Did it start after that hilly 5k Rich? 

Prior to my long term injury I was just running easy all the time for about 2 years which enabled me to stay injury free and build up the miles which still enabled me to race faster and faster. However I wondered if perhaps the lack of stressing my body in training possibly exposed me to more issues when I did race - who knows - it's a difficult balance running and racing injury free.
  • If i'm honest they've been niggling on and off for a good while and I ignored it hoping it would settle itself. I had been running all easy since about this time last year with no issues and felt I'd built a decent base. Probably too much speed work and a tendency to over-stride on the quick stuff more recently.  Annoyed as I did spend so much time being sensible. 

Back to mainly easy and taking it a little easier on the speed sessions with the club when i go back i think.
  • kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭

Congrats lit.

Skinny nice reps with pacing bang on.

Rich hopefully some rest will ease up the injury.

Managed 7mls Mon, 5mls Tues and 6mls last night, most all easy pace bar 2mls last night, injury seems ok so hopefully I can try and do some sort of sessions once a week from next week.

Hope everyone else doing ok :)

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Congrats , Lit.

You'll be a v55 at this rate Mace before you get a race!

Skinny, lovely consistent pacing there!

Richard  hope the achillies clears up ASAP. 

Kevin, looks like you are through your injury now.

In Dartmoor until tomorrow. I'm glad I don't live here (from a running perspective). Its horrifically hilly. 5m run Tuesday and 6m today both came with sbout 90ft of elevation per mile. Was supposed to do a mini session here but binned that idea off and will do it tomorrow when home. 
  • Good to hear you are back at it Kevin.

How are the achilles Rich?

Week 8 of 14 complete.

4,0,10, 4, 6, 0, 15 for 39 total.

This week has 45 mins alternating every 5 mins between MP and HMP. Used to quite like these sessions because you could keep kidding yourself you were nearly at end of the interval.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

12 yesterday for me for a 35m week.

I do quite like that session, Skinny. It's amazing how pedestrian mp suddenly feels.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Good to hear you are back at it Kevin.

How are the achilles Rich?

Week 8 of 14 complete.

4,0,10, 4, 6, 0, 15 for 39 total.

This week has 45 mins alternating every 5 mins between MP and HMP. Used to quite like these sessions because you could keep kidding yourself you were nearly at end of the interval.
    I remember making the mistake of doing this session at lunch once. 
    Needless to say the last few hours at work were not fun.