Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    Yeah I'd be sleeping in disabled toilets by 4pm.

Got absolutely soaked on run into work this morning.

3.5, 4
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

ah, the disabled toilets, great race day memories!

I routinely did an 8-10m tempo on my Friday lunchbreak, so with wu and cd, often covering 12m. I found I was ok until I started the drive home then it would hit me.

4m recovery yesterday followed by spin then a nice progressive 7m run today starting very easy then finishing at tempo pace. Managed to dodge the worst of the weather.

• Options
    SkinnyPart2SkinnyPart2 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

So tonight's session was the aforementioned 45 mins continuous alternating 5 mins at MP and 5 mins at HMP.

Except it wasn't.

I was browsing the local race sites at lunchtime looking at what they were saying about next few months when i noticed there was a virtual off road 10k running for the whole of August with a requirement for everyone to run the actual route. So I thought, why not?

So here's a Virtual Race report. B)  
  • Options
    The Virtual Carlisle Urban Trail Race

The course starts in the middle of Carlisle town centre and after running up and down over The Millennium Bridge you run round Carlisle Castle walls then down to the river and along, round and back along the river on a path that was a bit muddy following all the recent rain but mainly fairly reasonable to run on. About 2.5 miles of the route was on tarmac so not pure off road. These were split into a few different sections of less than a mile.

So ran the 3.4 miles from my work to the start and put in a few strides to get me going and then fidgeted around at the start line for 2 minutes to try and get into race mode. Then I was off and 41:35 mins and 6.11 miles later (route is not 10k) I was finished.

Worked hard and had to have a couple of minutes rest after I'd finished but splits as follows:-

7:03 (up and down the bridge steps), 6:51, 6:52, 6:41, 6:45, 6:35 and 7:08 pace for the last 0.11 where my sprint finish was ruined by a massive water jump that I failed to negotiate.

Average pace 6:48. If I'd done the 45 min session as planned with MP of 7mm and HMP of 6:40mm then my average pace would have been 6:51 so a good substitute session.

May still do that session next week though.

The 2.2 mile short route back to work was a slow affair but that's 11.7 miles on a Wednesday night.

Happy days, cheers, Skinny.

PS My garmin map suggests I swam a lot of it in the river.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Very good, Skinny. Things really have kicked in for you after so much bother. 

Do you get much foot trouble now? 
  • Options
    DT19 said:
    Very good, Skinny. Things really have kicked in for you after so much bother. 

Do you get much foot trouble now? 
    I don't dare answer that question.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Yes, I know that feeling!! Well the training says it's under control! 
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Congrats to Lit and well done to all who are putting in the miles. Hopefully muddy isn’t crocked but good to seem DT making a decent return and Skinny continuing his monumental reverse from being virtually retired from running.

I’ve had a week away ooop north ( well, Norfolk actually but then pretty much everything is north to me )

So no running for a week and not much in the week before that either so I’m now back to dreading a return and making silly excuses again. Silly excuses like “ work and DIY jobs that have been hanging around for a year are more important than running “

it’s now 5:30am, I’m awake, not on holiday, too early for DIY, and I can’t be arsed with work ....

ps I’m 54 now !!
  • Options
    So how far did you go?
  • Options
    Nice one on the (not?)race. Do you have any indication of your current placing or is it all announced after the end of the month?

You're progressing well DT, is your back causing you any issues at all?

Hope the return to a weekly session continues smoothly for you Kevin.

Belated Happy Birthday Mace.

I'm back running albeit minimal miles. 2 sunday, 2.5 Tuesday, 3.1 Thursday. Achilles are still a little sore, but the running isn't making them any worse (I can walk normally a minute or two after getting out of bed now compared to hobbling around for most of the day 2 weeks ago)

I'm stretching as per the physio, and doing hot and cold bucket dips which seems to have helped. I'm also trying to up my cadence and avoid any over-striding. I've been doing a bit of spin at a fairly low intensity just to keep ticking over. 

• Options
    Also, I've pinned down the exact cause of the injury - I ordered a new Garmin at the end of July which is when the achilles really started causing issues, it's the only reasonable explanation I can think of.
  • Options
    Nice one on the (not?)race. Do you have any indication of your current placing or is it all announced after the end of the month?
    I'm second at moment but lots of people have entered but not submitted a time yet - you can do it as many times as you want but only submit a time once so suspect a lot of people are having a final go over BH weekend. I'm hoping for torrential rain but unfortunately it looks dry and sunny here all weekend. :)

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Rich, no real problems from back, just the familiar cycle on the left hand side of glute and hamstring aches on and off. I've a block of physio sessions authorised by bupa that I must get round to booking. I'm just too busy whilst kids still aren't at school.

The plus with a stress fracture is it's either healed or it isn't so very much unlike something like achilies issues which can very easily flare back up. 

Have you had much physio on it?

My first session yesterday of any real level since March. 8 x 1k off 90s at hmp-10k effort. I had no idea how this might pan out and there was plenty of scope to get this very wrong early on and make it a sufferfest. Ignored my watch paces as far as possible and ran effort, came out 4.01, 3.53, 3.53, 3.49, 3.51, 3.46, 3.51, 3.44.

Very happy with that as I had some elevation to deal with on each rep as well and I finished strong. The 90s recovery was probably too helpful so be interesting to see how I'd go with 60s. Given I'm half a stone over weight as well still, feeling positive about things now. 

Easy 12 tomorrow for 37m week plus 3 pretty high intensity spin classes and the return of bodypump on Tuesday, which I'm still sore from. 
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    So how far did you go?
    Errr, not very far at all ....  :(

I ended up working as it was a bit windy and today it’s pissing down and blowing a gale so I don’t fancy today either.

I’m on an all dayer tomorrow, Jimmy White exhibition, so Monday will be a write off meaning tomorrow is a must even if only a couple of miles 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I always find i feel OK after an all dayer, Mace as compared to going out just for the evening. Slower pace of drinking, more food usually consumed and an earlier finish. You might be fine for Monday. 
  • Options
    How was Jimmy White? World Seniors champion 2 years on the trot beating Hendry in the semis and then Ken Doherty in a farcical final where he was 4-0 down at interval and then Doherty's game completely collapsed. Filled a happy Sunday evening a few weeks ago.

Last week finished up (with roundings) 4,4,12,3,3,0,14 for 40 total.

This week was going to be a cut back week of about 30 miles with a faster session on Wednesday of 8 * 0.5m at 10k pace (6:20mm) off 1 mins however in exciting news there is a 10 mile race going ahead locally under new rules on 13th September so I'm going to modify the plan and run that.

I'll keep this week the same except bang in a longer run on Saturday to make about 35 for this week and then have a bit of a cut back week the following week to give me a bit of a race day taper.

The field is limited to 350 but it's a two lap course on country roads so social distancing mid race is not going to happen. For those that are interested this is how they are planning to do it.

They're not asking for predicted times etc or allocating time slots so it will be like a time trial except with loads of other runners scattered all over the roads. Far from ideal but probably better  safer than being in a pub on a Saturday night.

Registration

09:50 – 11:50 - Runners to register and go to the start line ready to run ASAP

RACE START - 10:00 to 12:00, Runners can start anytime between 10:00 & 12:00 in maximum groups of 6 with a minimum gap of 30secs.

Race safety briefing

The race briefing - No race briefing will take place on the day all instructions will be via email, website and race day hand out.

Prize presentation

No Prizes will be issued on the day, all prizes will be post after the event

• Options
    PS I'm still second in my Virtual 10k Trail race with 98 of the 113 times in so that would be an unexpected bonus.
  • Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Jimmy was rather disappointing, he played 5 frames of snooker and several ( I was pissed so don’t remember exactly how many ) frames of pool. Highest break was 56 and he scraped wins in the first 4 frames before my pal edged the last on the black :-)

Not a great deal of banter from him and infact he copped the hump on a couple of occasions, one an unfortunate run of the ball and the other some movement in the crowd .... at an exhibition, how very dare they  !?!

Drinking was suicide pace from the off ( 1pm) and ended 12 hours later off a breakfast of 2 slices of peanut butter toast  :-(

I felt as miserable as Jimmy yesterday ( maybe he did the exhibition off a Saturday all dayer !?) and needless to say did no running and none today.

I REALLY REALLY have to get out tomorrow 

Ps Excellent mileage again !!

• Options
    That is disappointing but I suppose it's just another day at the office for him - my banter has been pretty limited so far this morning because I've got a shed load of shit to shovel.

I remember when we went to see Pointless and were expecting loads of interplay in the breaks between good pals Richard and Alexander but as soon as each round finished they both walked off to opposite corners of the studio and read their phones. They didn't speak to each other once outside filming. But they were on about day 100 of filming 4 shows a day (2 in morning, two in afternoon) so you can understand it. 

A bit like DT said all day drinking sessions are normally not too bad because the pacing is not suicidal but if it is then the old man's two day hangover is assured - I'm just hoping that when I get to 55 they don't become 3 day hangovers.
  • Options
    So 8 * 0.5m off 60 seconds aiming for 10k (6:20) pace so 3:10 per 0.5.

Came out 3:01, 3:06, 3:03, 3:07, 3:02, 3:07, 3:04, 3:07 - the odds were in one direction which was about 10ft downhill, the evens back the other way so pretty even pacing if you split them up.

The fact the rain was bouncing of the ground throughout seemed to help somehow.

Not really a full 10k session but certainly a good 5k session so if 6:10 is now my 5k pace (which I suppose a 6:20 10k pace does suggest) I'm happy enough with that. See how my body reacts to the slightly faster work over next few days.

4,5,9 for week so far.
  • Options

Skinny, pacing looks good, what recoveries would you take.

Mace did you get out

Managed 6,5,6 over the past 3 nights and out tonight for 5ish miles. Still haven't done a session, keep putting it off. I think I need to do some sort of time trial to see where I am at for paces to look at a session.

• Options

Kev - 60 secs as per first sentence.

Nice miles Kev. I don't think you need to do a time trial - just do a few fartlek runs where you stick the odd faster bit in to your normal runs to prepare and then when you do try a session pick a pace you know you can do then gradually reduce the speed, increase the number of intervals or reduce the recoveries over the following weeks - you'll soon find your paces - took me about 3 weeks to find my biting point.  

• Options

Skinny.. oopsy :D

Thanks for the advice, on it next week

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Pretty solid work, Skinny. Shape is definitely getting good.

Kevin, as skinny says I did a few fartlek runs with blocks of 3 or 4 mins at effort without a target. That was enough to give me a feel gor what I was capable of. 

Mace, shame about Jimmy being a miserable sod. Hopefully you enjoyed the day out all the same. His only job that day was to be fun and hood company and you were all paying him yo be that! 

12m sunday was great, 7.55mm for 142bpm, pretty low effort stuff. 4m recovery monday then tuesday was 8m progression from v easy to tempo. I went out Monday night for my last eat out saving.Anyway a friend and his kids came back to the house for  drink and before we knew it, it was 1am and we were on the port so tuesdays run took some grimacing to end with a 6.35mm. Bodypump Tuesday night then 45 min easy on turbo yesterday and 6m easy today. 

5 x 1m tomorrow off 90s float. 

• Options
    SkinnyPart2SkinnyPart2 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    You have returned to close to race fitness pretty fast after your injury - pleased with your current shape?

What does 90s float mean? Does it mean you can have 80 secs recovery one rep and then 100 secs the next?

Is that the progression from 8 * 1k off 90 secs?

I was thinking after last night that my session was light 10k and that the next two progressions would be 8*1k and 5*1mile but was unsure if I could allow myself 75 secs and 90 secs recoveries or if I would need to keep recoveries at 60 secs to be true progressions.

Anyway I'm racing next week so won't be doing any sessions at all :smile: 

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Lat week was 8 x 1k off 90s standing recovery. This is 5 x 1m (so obviously the same volume) but 90s float is just my coaches term for 90s at easy pace, it's float as it'll seem very easy and slow compared to the session paces. So it is a progression as I am running the recovery and also having less recovery over the term of the session as only have 4 x 90s not 7 x 90s but with same distance covered.
  • Options
    I guess then that if I'm doing 8*1k or 5*1m then that is more volume (than 8*0.5m) and therefore I can add a little more recovery but when I move from 8*1k to 1*5m I should keep recovery the same. Thanks
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

sorry, got this weeks session confused with next week. Today was 5 x 1m off 60s standing recovery.

Reps came out 6.23, 6.19, 6.13, 6.13 and 6.23 (last 500m was on trail so slowed me). Pleased with that as all bar the last 500m were on the streets up and down pavements and crossing roads and junctions.

• Options
    macemace ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    kevin70 said:

Skinny, pacing looks good, what recoveries would you take.

Mace did you get out

Managed 6,5,6 over the past 3 nights and out tonight for 5ish miles. Still haven't done a session, keep putting it off. I think I need to do some sort of time trial to see where I am at for paces to 

I did, kevin 

20 mins which felt a bit horrible, but 25-30 mins today was much better. No idea on pace as I was ‘naked’ but it was slow

Noticeably cooler now as well which is most welcome 

• Options
    mace said:

No idea on pace as I was ‘naked’

Oooh - the girls are rushing out of the changing rooms with their pompoms.