Overdone it?

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

The week progressed well enough with 46m in total. Th highlight being my standard mp/160bpm tempo on Friday. I was feeling pretty frisky on my wu and conditions were good so following a sensible first mile (6.32) I just let things develop, whilst retaining the right effort with a 6.21, 6.17, 6.17, 6.13, 6.22 and 6.04 for the last bit coming in at 39.20 and 161 bpm. By far my best effort on this type of run.

Easy 14m then sunday morning.

Pretty similar week this week all in with a few extra miles planned.

• Well done DT. 47 miles for me last week. I have not much interesting to report except that I got very wet at the weekend and I can feel the step up in mileage on my rest day today as I'm very hungry.
  • Nice mileage both.

I finally got round to starting running again this weekend with a 2 on Saturday and a 6 on Sunday.

Will try to continue to 'lace up and get out' this week.

Cheers, Skinny
  • '...following a sensible first mile (6.32) I just let things develop, whilst retaining the right effort with a 6.21, 6.17, 6.17, 6.13, 6.22 and 6.04 for the last bit coming in at 39.20 and 161 bpm'

Just realised that is a 39:20 10k in training DT - very impressive. I used to reckon for a like for like distance I could knock about 30 seconds off a mile in a race situation. Based on past discussions on here I don't think you see so much benefit but even 20 secs a mile would see you down near 37 mins. 

Shame you can't race..... :-1:  

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Skinny, yes my pb is 6mm mile pace dead on so 20s would see me at pb pace. The difference here to previous sessions of similar nature are that for the past 4.5 years all my sessions have taken place running laps of the race course so perfectly flat and traffic free. This route involves about 200ft of elevation, plus curbs and a few roads and junctions to cross. Despite that, the pace/effort/hr together is unprecedented.

Races will return in a couple of months I'm sure.

• macemace ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Nice mileage both.

I finally got round .... 

Will try to continue to 'lace up and get out' this week.

Cheers, Skinny
    Not as easy as it sounds is it !?

Yes, DT will be knocking over his pb’s when racing returns.

My ex training pal (who has a 2:36 marathon) split from his wife a few months back and has been training a bit harder than he was. He knocked out a casual 34 minute 10k in training this week. 

I’ve done nothing for a week despite having a week off. Weather was nasty and I had decorating/DIY to do is my excuse.

Groundhog Day anyone !! ...

• mace said:

Groundhog Day anyone !! ...

I could watch that film again and again  :D
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Nice one Muddy (and DT), and it'd be odder doing km reps in min per mile wouldn't it? :)

But MK half, that sounds interesting. Who puts that one on? Decent field? Laps, or a rampage around their wonderful set of roundabouts and dual carriageways?
    Did one there in 2009 that I can't even remember too much about, but it went out from some school or uni. Possibly.
    I remember it more for doing it in a skin top (!)

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Hi mace, I guess this is very much the wrong time of year to try and establish a running habit. Keep at it if you can. Coming back from injury I was amazed how my fitness improved just on 15  or so weekly miles. 

Sg, you can't run a race in MK without some Redway time!! The description says it's one big lap taking in the key sites of MK.....if that inspires you. I also note they are doing a Saturday and Sunday half and Sunday is sold out. 

Session at lunchtime of 1m at 10k effort  then 6 x 800 at 5k effort then a final mile smash. Managed 5.40 for the final mile which is OK at the end of a session. Probably somewhere between Muddys 10k and hmp pace! 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yes in reality, having done 2 halfs in 5 years, trying to force one in now would be nothing short of bonkers.
    I was comfy doing little 5ks while we're in this world of distancing/wave type set ups. I'm not really one for pushing the tempo in solo time trials. I could see the potential to have a right old miserable windy barren slog :D 

You sound like you're going decently. Let's hope we at least get the distanced race stuff going again in December, and fingers crossed for any sort of "Proper" spring action.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Yeah I dont think now is the time to force in a race distance you've previously not bothered with in a while.  

Yep, if there was a normal racing calendar right now I'd be turning up to everything going. My own personal optimistic view is we get through winter, things then slowly start to become normal over early spring and by next Autumn normal life resumes. 
  • muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    MK half is run by Big Cow Events Stevie. It's a wave start with 4 minutes between waves and I'll be setting off about 120 places and 16 minutes behind the first wave. I'm hoping there aren't too many narrow paths to negotiate - the wave allocation was first come first served rather than on expected finish and I'd be surprised if there were 120 faster runners in those waves before me (field of about 600 I think).

I think I'll treat it as a big upper aerobic zone sesh rather than race it as I've barely touched sustained marathon effort in any of my running since coming back in August.

I note though that they have been sending out preemptive 'what if ..' emails covering the plans if the race is not allowed to go ahead.
  • DT smashing out great times and sessions, does the cross training help

Muddy good mileage 

Skinny any more miles this week 

Mace hope you can get once diy is done

Managed 43 miles last week, mostly easy miles, did a training session last night, approx. 2x1.8 mile club training route, hoped to encourage my wife round the session which I did but to be fair I don't think I had much left going by my hr, pace came out at 8.25 & 8.40. A bit frustrated  as i was hoping that it would have felt easier than it did. Have banked some miles over the months aerobically, need to look at getting some sort of weekly session in.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Ahh I think I've heard of those Big Cow events Muddy. Nice looking medal. I think there's a weekend full of events at MK in normal times where you get a different medal for each distance as well.

It's those races that are scheduled in for a few days after the lockdown ends that I think are most optimistic. There's every chance it could get extended and you'd think the wiser companies would at least go mid Dec onwards. Although I suppose they've got their refund/defer policies very well sorted by now!
  • Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    DT - you seem to be in the shape of your life. Fingers crossed you get an opportunity to race soon. I do admire how you seem to have consistently improved over a long period of time. You must have been running for a good number of years but always seem to get better.

Muddy - sounds like that is going to be an interesting experience. Traffic jam central by the sounds of it!

Kevin - Good mileage there. If you have been increasing it, its probably not surprising if the pace of quality sessions drops a bit whilst your body adapts.

I've just been doing the usual low mileage plodding with the occasional faster session thrown in when I feel like it. I would like to be able to train properly again but  unfortunately whenever I ask the question the body always says no. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Decent tally, Kevin. What were you hoping for on the session? If you haven't done anything faster for a while, even if aerobically fitter, you need to fine tune that side of things.

Thanks, Mr V. I probably started training consistently in early 2013 and unlike many I haven't this big jump in one go, my gains have come incrementally and fairly evenly over the years, particularly since late 2015.

9.5m over lunch with 7m at mara pb pace of 6.43 average (pb pace 6.45) felt amazingly pedestrian with a 150 average HR. For context my average HR in my pb was 165, so obviously this would have risen incrementally as fatigue set in, but there's still a long way to go to 165. Throw in 19 weeks training, a taper, some Alphafly and a race environment and it bodes well!

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Following the above, I decided to carry out a basic calculation as HR over 7m compared to 26m doesn't really tell me much.

So I took the first 7m of VMLM 19. My average pave for that part of the race was 6.48mm and my average hr was 157bpm. I appreciate that race day anxiety etc will have probably elevated it, however there is also some considerable downhill in the first 7m of London and nothing close to a climb, whilst yesterday I had 3 solid climbs to manage as well.

I just thought it was interesting.....

• DT going in the right direction, hopefully you nailing a race soon would be good.

Regarding the session I was hoping that the exertion against the pace would have been more comfortable but as you say not doing anything fast consistently doesn't help. 10mls last yesterday avg 9.24. Hoping for 14mls tomorrow.  

• DT19 said:

Following the above, I decided to carry out a basic calculation as HR over 7m compared to 26m doesn't really tell me much.

So I took the first 7m of VMLM 19. My average pave for that part of the race was 6.48mm and my average hr was 157bpm. I appreciate that race day anxiety etc will have probably elevated it, however there is also some considerable downhill in the first 7m of London and nothing close to a climb, whilst yesterday I had 3 solid climbs to manage as well.

I just thought it was interesting.....

yeah interesting..... ;)
  • muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Much warmer in London too though DT which raises the effort required to achieve a pace

I haven't been able to touch sustained marathon effort runs in training yet ... very odd.

Lunchtime hilly course 10k @ 6.30 min/mile - top end of easy zone on the heart rate front. Felt laboured, much like the rest of this week running. I'm definitely due a rest but just 3 weeks on Sunday until the MK half...
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Good point, Muddy  though that should be less problematic next year as my races are first weekend of April and October. 
  • Didn’t do any running last week until Sunday when a mate rang and asked me if I fancied 10 x 400m at 90 secs (in the dark).

No (obviously).

But I did them with him anyway. Can’t remember doing such a short and fast session for about 5 years.

So 6 mikes for the week with 2.5 at (inside??) 5k pace.

Not a week straight out of the training manual - must try harder.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020

That is certainly non-standard, Skinny, however sometimes it's OK just to go with the flow. It's a hobby at the end of the day so if that's what was needed to get you out so be it.

I have a similar session tomorrow, 16 x 400m.

14m on Saturday then 4 yesterday led to a 48m week. I'm currently on for my first 200m month since January.

5m easy in the frost and fog this morning to kick the week off.

• macemace ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Joking aside, DT, I did analyse your numbers with my HR head on and would guess you’re not far off 6:30 MP

Fudge all for me for 2 weeks but I’ll get there. 

My plan is to have a decent level of fitness by Spring. I used to love those spring mornings in the lead up to VLM with the hard work of the P&D training done, the sun coming up and cruising around the coastline at sub-8 M/M with a cigar on. Great feeling 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Yes, Mace, that is where I did the figures, low 6.30s. I'd be more than happy with 6.39 pace though for a 2.54.

I do like it when an 8-10m run at 7.50s barely touches the sides..

16 x 400m was tough today, mainly as it was off 30s which once you've done a few reps, seems to be up just as you've lifted your head back up! Slowest rep was the first one at 1.31, then I settled into 1.24/1.25 pace and the last one was fastest in 1.22.

Just an easy 8m tomorrow.

• I had a cutback last week to around 30 miles. I definitely needed it.

I've done M - 11m T-4m W-7m Th-5m F - 10k this week. Probably another 18m over the weekend with a long run involved.

Seems a bit pointless to me that session DT. Not enough rest - may as well tempo rather than disrupt running rhythm, but well done anyway ! 

No sessions for weeks and weeks, but have ran a few sub 40 10ks over my hilly work route - managed my fastest this year today, running 38.30 from cold.

Is that marathon fit by Spring or just fit to train for one, Mace ?

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I think it was about working the higher hr zones and getting me prepared for todays session which was 2 x 5k. First 5k at steady type effort then second one hard. Isnt it the point of those sessions to adequately stress the body by limiting recovery? 

First 5k in 19.45 was reasonably comfortable. Had 3 min recovery then 2nd 5k. Went off faster than planned or instructed with a 5.52 then 6.01  6.00 and 5.50 for 18.31. I must caveat it though in that I got stuck crossing a road for some 20s so elapsed time was 18.55. 
  • Yeah i just think stress the body by running continuously ! Recovery afterwards.

What's your 5k pb ? That second one has got to be close ?
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    My parkrun pb is 18.20 but thats on the old worcester course that was short. On an accurate course it's 18.37 I've just realised. 
  • macemace ✭✭✭
    You must be worth a 17.30 

Muddy, certainly not marathon fit. I’d like to be running 40 miles a week comfortably with my easy runs at around 8:00/M.  I know I can get there with some consistency but I’m 2 steps forward and 2 back at the moment