Overdone it?

Comments

• It's tough in the circumstances Mace, never mind contending with the usual quit monkey business. I'm not training hard by any means, just enjoying jogging around and hiking as much as possible and slowly got my running mileage up over the past 4 months.

Last week I did just over 50 miles, mostly easy effort, with that one 10k I mentioned earlier to  stretch the legs. All the heart rate metrics looking pretty decent right now, with a highest vo2max estimate ever, but it's all moot as the event I was looking forward to has barred us lepers from Tier 3.

I suppose it was a case of them losing their license if they do anything to induce people to travel across tiers, which is against the current rules. I know R in Birmingham is significantly above 1 and the virus is pretty close to home now. My mum had it up in Hull and was seriously ill in IC a few weeks back; now my son is isolating after the kid that sits next to him in class tested positive and I'm home schooling this week.
  • Hope your mum is fully recovered now Muddy.

DT - pretty impressive set of training runs you're putting together at the moment - 2 * 5k off 3 mins, 1 at tempo, one at 10k is an interesting session though!

1 * 9.5m for me last week - not very good.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Mace, hmm not sure about 17.30, though eyeing up sub 18. 

Muddy, how is your mum now? So are mk allowing tier 2 people to race? Obviously just a few miles across the city lines we are in tier 2. 

Skinny,  there's a bit more to it than just a session. My coaching co are doing a weekly lockfown challenge starting with 1k then 1m then 5k then 10k this week. We are all being told how to run it and all doing it slightly differently in terms of what we do before it etc, dependant on where we are at. Most managed to race over late summer and Autumn whereas I'm at the stage where I need to be racing for that extra fitness nudge, though that 2nd 5k was outside coaches instructions by about 30s. 

203m for November. Highest ever November. 
  • My mum is fatigued and has back pain and dizzy spells but with no underlying conditions she should recover in time.

Yep, Tier 2 can race MK half. The options for Tier 3 entries are deferral or a virtual half marathon on your own turf.
  • Sorry to hear about your Mum muddy, nice miles over the past week 

DT I'm sure you would smash some pb's if races had been on.

Mace any steps forward this week

Managed to still get out and rack up some mileage which I am happy with, rest day today and hopefully some sort of speedwork this week.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I've just entered that MK half, doing the Saturday race with 11am start which means with a 90min drive I don't have to be up and out silly early.

Quite excited!!!

Easy 5m yesterday and 8m today. 
  • DT, a race....brilliant, you are in top shape.

Easy miles with my wife last night, roads treacherous so happy to get round safely. 10miles tomorrow planned.

Hope everyone is doing ok.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Nice going, Kevin. Mot pleasant out at present. 

I just did a high tempo run to acclimatise me to some race like suffering. 10k with first 5k controlled then second 5k fast. Came out 19 32/18.50 for 38.22. Faster than I ran Telford 10k this weekend last year. 
  • DT19 said:
    Nice going, Kevin. Mot pleasant out at present. 

I just did a high tempo run to acclimatise me to some race like suffering. 10k with first 5k controlled then second 5k fast. Came out 19 32/18.50 for 38.22. Faster than I ran Telford 10k this weekend last year. 
    Clearly your pelvis has repaired itself stronger than before!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    How's it going, Skinny?

If I said I was a very surprised by my current situation, it would be a gross understatement. Weight possibly helps.  I weighed 10,9 today. My lightest since a teen. 

Lit, are you lurking? It's time you shared your lovely news with your old virtual chums!!!
  • No running last week at all but the main reason is that I am working about 15 hour days.

Lit has lovely news? Good.
  • Hope everyone is doing ok.

Any running this week Mace/Skinny

DT will we be having a race report this weekend 

Managed out 8, 4, 8 so far this week with some strides last night, aiming for some 400mm reps tonight
  • Lit has lovely news? Good.
    Gosh, DT's running a bit fast at the moment! I, by contrast, have been doing practically no running at all so now I am very slow. I do have lovely news though: I can report that my partner (let's call her Mrs Lit, she'd like that) is pregnant and Baby Mini-lit is due in May next year! He will be one of at least three babies from my running club born next spring, so hopefully we can train them up into a cross country team in due course.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Well, I suspect a full report will have to wait until Monday and is conditional on it going well of course!! 

Congrats, Lit. I didnt know you know it was a he. 

Quite infuriatingly i woke yesterday feeling bunged up, by 11am I was full cold and feeling shit. Was sleeping by 9.45 last night and got 9 hours in. Feel better for it today but still all in my nose. Hopefully another good sleep tonight will see it off. Otherwise, conditions look good and legs feel good so fingers crossed for a good day out! 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Despite feeling rubbish i managed to knock out an 80.37 on a really difficult twisty course on what in essence was a completely solo time trial from the off due to the nature of the staggered starts. 
  • That’s brilliant DT - super fast with the real possibility of a sub 80 in proper race conditions.

Well done.
  • Congratulations Lit - lovely news. 
  • Have an updated spreadsheet DT - only Muddy (and Mr V as an absentee) have gone faster over a HM.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Thanks, Skinny! I didn't expect a table update. I recall Mr V ran a 1.20.00. I have, as you say, genuine aspirations of bettering that now all being well.

Looking at that time though, it makes all my other times look comparably poor. I took about 70 s off my 10m pb in that half and about 10s off my 5m pb. Of course that isn't a bad problem to have!

Very easy 10m yesterday to round off the week at 47m.

Time to start building to Dorney lake mara now.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Milton Keynes winter half

As we’ve all been a bit starved of a race report and as this went well I thought I’d put one in.

So following a summer on the sidelines, my plan was to not consider racing until I could do it justice again, which I anticipated would be into next year. However, training in the last month or so told me I was in a good place and with this event cancelling everyone in a tier 3 area, places opened up.

The race was split over 2 days with a Saturday and Sunday event, but 1 set of results. I opted for Saturday. You then selected a start time, the options being every 4 minutes between 9-11am. Given my journey I selected 11am. This was changed to 10.12 due to most people wanting to run early.

I set off  to arrive an hour before my start time. My concerns were raised when my satnav took me off the m42 towards m6 as opposed m40. I have zero trust in the m6, you could drive down it at 3am on Christmas morning and get caught in a jam. Shortly after joining my worst fears were compounded and I was met with a complete standstill, 25 minutes ticked by before we got moving again and I’d all but given up hope. Once we got moving again (there had been a pretty nasty accident on the other side and debris had come over  so it all needed clearing) things moved well, however I was stressed as I would now only arrive 30 mins before the start and I didn’t know how far away I had to park etc. As it turned out there was a massive car park right by the start/finish. Additionally, the toilet situation was good as most people had already gone by the time I needed to go. I therefore managed a 1m wu which was fine.

I was conscious of the start situation and you all started in an orderly straight line with no over taking for first 200m. I therefore got myself at the gate promptly so that I was first in queue. As we moved towards the start a lady positioned herself ahead of me. I didn’t want to appear judgmental etc but she didn’t look like she would be running an 80 minute half. I asked her what she was aiming for and she said 1.50, she then asked me and politely moved herself back behind me without further discussion.

We were promptly off at 10.12 and I tuned into 6mm pace ish. After about 0.5m another lad from my start came past me. It took me until about 1.5m to catch him but we were both then locked in at 6.10mm. It was also useful as the first 4-5m were into a steady but not strong headwind and he was a pretty tall lad. The first 5 miles drifted by at 6.12, 6.13, 6.07, 6.09 and 6.11. The pace was feeling a bit sharper than I had hoped but that may have been down to the headwind.

At 4m the other guy suddenly dropped off the pace and I found myself completely alone, passing various others from earlier starts but no one near my pace to focus on or work with. The course also became very tricky at this point with an impossible number of twists and turns around the Redway paths, really killing momentum. There were moments where I just craved a few hundred metres of straight road. I bashed on going through 10k in about 38.15. My average pace was pretty much locked on 6.10mm with the odd drop to 6.11 but nothing more.

After 10k my focus was on getting to mile 10. I knew that there was a bit of climbing in that mile, but then it was followed by a downhill mile 11, So I focused on getting to there with plenty in me. The miles ticked by, 6.07, 6.16, 6.18 and 6.07. Finally the twists and turns eased but I was into some climbing. It wasn’t as bad as I had anticipated and came out of that mile with a 6.26 and average pave at 6.12. I was then met with the downhill mile with much of it a long straight path. That came in at 5.52.

Moving into mile 12, I knew then that there was no need for anything silly, just sit at 6.15 and it’ll be good. Mile 12 came in at 6.20 and average pace was 6.11. Mile 13 then was slightly downhill and straighter so I managed a 6.02 with an all out sprint for the last bits coming in at 80.39.

Very pleased with that and having started the year with a half pb of 83.35, I now end it with a genuine chance to run sub 80.

• Have an updated spreadsheet DT - only Muddy (and Mr V as an absentee) have gone faster over a HM.

Congratulations DT ! Which trainers did you wear ?

(I don't think I could go faster than that now)
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I wore the next% as I was concerned that the alphafly may hinder me with the twists. It also gives me a genuine comparison to my February half as I wore them for that also. 
  • 43 running miles for me last week.

Procrastinated for ages about running on Sunday morning with the wind and rain and was glad I (Tier 3 drone) wasn't doing the MK Winter Half in those conditions. Managed 8.5 locally sourced miles and spent about 3 hours warming myself back up on return home.

By contrast Saturday was perfect running weather and I did 7 muddy miles in the morning with hill sprints then a 5 mile hike round Draycote Water at sunset which was gorgeous.

Congratulations Lit - I saw the baby names thread ... did you settle on Eggbert Nobacon ?
  • Fantastic time DT, hard work getting back to fitness paying off. A Race report too

Great news lit

Good miles Muddy

Managed 38miles last week with 12miles on Saturday with my daughter
  • Well done DT! How annoying of you to beat my PB though, especially when I've done so little training over the last few years that I'm unlikely to beat it myself any time soon (ever). Grr.

Muddy- we are still discussing middle names for little Eggbert. Mrs Lit is cross because I have vetoed calling him any name she has already used for a guinea pig.
  • SkinnyPart2SkinnyPart2 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    literatin said:
    Muddy- we are still discussing middle names for little Eggbert. Mrs Lit is cross because I have vetoed calling him any name she has already used for a guinea pig.
    Definitely or Absolutely? (although DT would struggle to spell the middle name correctly :smiley:
  • Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    Lit - what exciting news  :)

DT - Fantastic stuff. No surprise at all really given your recent sessions. Sub 80 got to be on the cards next year for sure.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Lit, I do apologise, you were collateral damage I guess as I was aiming to just take down Skinnys time!!

Thanks, Mr V. Yes I am confident On a nice course on the right day and with a bit more training it should happen. That'll be a proper serious threshold to cross into!

7m progressive today starting at 8.30mm and nudging it along by about 25s each mile to finish with a 6.14 mile.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Looks like I've lost 2s. It's now on po10 as 80.39, but it's a new wava score on there though. 

Plus, I've been sat at 10st9 long enough for it yo be my weight if your inclined to update, skinny. One could argue that all I needed was to lose half a stone and get better shoes to run faster and all this training was pointless. 

Very easy 9m today in the rain. 
  • Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    DT - I'm sure its probably been discussed on here before but how big an impact do you find the vaporflys have for you?