Overdone it?

Comments

• In muddy I trust :-)
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Whenever you talk about cornering it makes me think of doing aeroplane wings and making sound effects while leaning into a corner.
  • :D 

That is how I corner - I also run into wind with my arms stretched out backwards to form an aerodynamic V shape (if you imagine the point of the V being my chest).

Also when running downhill fast I whirl my arms around in windmills and go 'OOOOOOOOOHHHH SHIIIIITTTTTTTTT' until I get to the bottom.
  • literatin said:
    Whenever you talk about cornering it makes me think of doing aeroplane wings and making sound effects while leaning into a corner.
    This is what I do for a living - simulating planes  :)
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    Good luck this weekend, Skinny and DT. DBS. 
  • Thanks Tommy although mine is more a fact find than anything serious.

DT is very much the main event so good luck DT - run well.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Jeez, talk about piling pressure on  Skinny! I can't believe it's been nearly two years since I ran a mara! It's good though as my memory of running mara pace is doing it for 12m and it's quite a pleasant jaunt! 

Good luck for the 10k. 
  • kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭
    Good luck DT & Skinny
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    2.51.59, more later. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Good luck tomorrow, skinny. 

So as a highlight I managed 1.27/1.24 neg split today with last 10k about 39.30. 
  • 38:44 so at least I beat the last 10k of your marathon.  :)
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    That's brilliant, Skinny. What a turn around from the total acceptance that your running days were over to already being about 10s a mile off pb pace and good enough to win many m50 cat prizes. 

How did you find the trainers?

I thought I'd got away with it, but my quads and hips are very sore today. 
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Excellent, Skinny! And what DT wrote!

DT: I would be annoyed if you didn't have some aches and pains today!

And onwards and upwards, both of you!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Amazing run DT. Congratulations ‘ I’ve seen the pics from the race and the shorts look like they gave you a minute. Will invest as I’m feeling flush.

Well done Skinny - are you happy with that ? Do you have any historical comparisons on this course ? 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Muddy, they did genuinely feel great and afterwards, despite me emptying bottles of water over my quads throughout, when I took them off at finish they were pretty much  completely dry. They aren't easy to find unless they've restocked. I found mine at machesfashion.com. 

I feel pretty good, unlike I've felt after any previous mara. I have some moderate doms in quads but beyond that nothing. Clearly didnt go deep enough to the well! 

45m light spin out on turbo today. 
  • SkinnyPart2SkinnyPart2 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    https://www.facebook.com/pg/SportInAction/videos/?ref=page_internal

I think this might be a first on here - some video of me actually running. I'm one of the 19 second clips about 10 rows down if you're looking at it on a laptop - the one with the orange runner right in the middle on the preview still (I'm the orange runner - more correctly the runner wearing an orange T shirt, I'm not actually orange).
  • Race Report Carlisle Resolution 10k

As previously reported I’d run some speedy (for me) 800s on Tuesday and was feeling like my new shoes could really propel me to a fast time.

Unpreviously reported the aftermath had caused me to cut my planned 8 short to a 7 on Wednesday with the last couple of miles almost a shuffle at about 9mm due to an extremely tight soleus (I’m sure caused by a combination of the new shoes making me run more forefoot and also running at about 2mm faster than all my other current running). So I rested completely Thursday, Friday and Saturday and it seemed to have eased without completely loosening up but it had been a long time since I’d raced so I decided to give it a go.

The warmth of Saturday had been replaced by a wintery Sunday with a biting 20mph wind and of course you weren’t allowed to wait inside or leave your kit anywhere so everyone was standing around shivering waiting for the start for about 30 mins – not very pleasant.

We’d all submitted our predicted times beforehand, I went optimistically for 40mins although 2016 was the last time I had gone sub 40 for a 10k, and we had been given our numbers accordingly.

101 being fastest predicted time and I was number 149 so about 50 people predicted 40 mins or faster.

We were to be sent off in waves of 6 every 20 secs with batches of 18 runners heading to start line at a time however they really didn’t organise this well at all and apart from the first 6 the starting groups were not at all the same 6 people that were envisaged but with 20 secs between each group and an ‘on road’ start they didn’t have time to fanny around.

When I got to the start line I noticed I was the lowest number in my group and other numbers ranged up to 170 but what could I do – 3,2,1 and racing had commenced again.

• Amusingly I realised after sprinting off that I had run the first 0.25 miles with my mask still on which just shows how used to wearing it I’ve got. I just carried it in my hand after that an it came in handy for blowing my nose around 4 miles!

The first two miles are mainly uphill and also straight into the 20mph wind so weren’t very pleasant and I quickly shed my 5 companions and had to focus on the backs of some people 25 secs up the road who I started picking up around around 1.5 miles. Finally reached the top and turned off the main road at around the 2 mile marker – 6:31, 6:29 – not great but not disastrous with the downhill and miles with wind behind still to go. Although I was back running on my own again with a big group of maybe 6 runners way ahead in the distance.

Mile 3 pissed me off because although I was running in a different direction I still seemed to be running mainly into the wind FFS – I was gaining on the group in front though and there were signs it was starting to break up. I felt I’d run fairly well on my forefoot to here as the shoe intends but after a bit of a downhill I could just feel my soleus a little and the heels dropped. Not sue I got the true benefit of the shoes for the next couple of miles that were predominantly slightly downhill.

Miles 3 and 4 6:13, 6:10 and my average pace was now down to 6:21 and I was feeling pretty good and relaxed – sub 40 looked in the bag provided my soleus held up.

Mile 5 is undulating but finally I had caught the stragglers so swept past the first at bottom of a hill and then past another on the way up a rise towards the photographer who I spared a smile for before the downhill turn for home after just after 5 miles where I passed a further straggler at about 5.5 miles (the rather nice thing about this was that normally you worry about them retaking you but when you’ve already overhauled a 20 second disadvantage there is no fear of that). Anyway I was running really well and it was just a question of how long I left it till I opened the throttle which I did at 6 miles and sprinted out to the end. No collapsing in a heap at the end and definitely left some time out there somewhere but way better than I had hoped for.

Mile 5 6:04, Mile 6 6:06 and the 0.22 in 1:11 or 5:23mm pace.

38:44 finishing time good enough for 27th and 3rd MV50 for which I’ve won £10.

Nice return to racing.

I took yesterday off and just stretched a bit and managed 5 miles this morning without any pain so think I’ve got away with it. Just need to decide how to incorporate some work on my running style into my normal training because these shoes are so fast if you run in them properly.

• Have a couple of race day photos - it’s been a while.
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    Excellent, Skinny, really great to see you back racing again! 

Definitely scope to cut a big chunk of time off that too (mainly by wearing a vest and possibly some magic shorts). 
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    DT19 said:
    2.51.59, more later. 
    Awesome, DT! Thoroughly deserved after your dedication to training and persistence from coming back from the stress fracture. 

By the looks of those splits you'll be able to give sub 2:50 a right good go next time out. 
  • kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭
    DT, amazing time and last 10km in a marathon at that pace...... well deserved.

Skinny, great time delighted for you, smiling and enjoying it brilliant.
  • Well done Skinny - are you happy with that ? Do you have any historical comparisons on this course ? 
    Oh I meant to answer this and forgot.

I ran 38:24 back in Jan 2014 on the back of 12 weeks base training and then 38:01 a year later which was about 2 months before Manchester marathon so was in pretty good shape then.

So 43 seconds for 6 years probably quite reasonable. And 2015 was a proper race - being in a group on way up the hill into the wind would have been worth 10 secs of that difference.

Still slowest effort over the course and distance.

Can I find 1:08 from here for a 10k PB - hmmm probably not but I can get closer...

PS DT I am saving all my drooling over your marathon time until I get to read report otherwise I'll have to do it twice. :-)
  • I think just find a course without hills Skinny, keep training until that point and you're laughing for gaining a good minute or so. I think the Lancaster crew host a 10k on that riverside route at some point ...
  • Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    Skinny I really enjoyed reading that, great to see you back racing.

I'm impressed you managed to find that kind of race pace off just easy running. A nice reminder that easy aerobic miles are the key ingredient in running fast times. 
  • I think just find a course without hills Skinny, keep training until that point and you're laughing for gaining a good minute or so. I think the Lancaster crew host a 10k on that riverside route at some point ...
    Just had a look - there's a few :+1:
  • Mr V said:
    Skinny I really enjoyed reading that, great to see you back racing.

I'm impressed you managed to find that kind of race pace off just easy running. A nice reminder that easy aerobic miles are the key ingredient in running fast times. 
    I would say the one thing you miss is having a good guide as to what a race pace might be over a specific distance - the faster sessions provide that insight and also get you used to running through a bit of discomfort which also helps towards end of races.
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Ooh, many congratulations to DT! That's a brilliant PB, and well deserved after all the hardcore training you've been doing.

Also well done Skinny, and what lovely race photos. I will start doing running again, and one day I will def do one of those Lancaster races, since all of my in-laws live there. So perhaps Lancaster will be the new Nottingham in terms of thread meet-up potential.

I've been doing a bit of running again, quite slowly, but a bit more enthusiastically now that it's not sodding dark all the time. Also I am now 39 in case we are still measuring stats, and I have not weighed myself in quite some time but I'm still not as fat as mace.