Overdone it?

Comments

• Mentally or physically? ;-)

I'm sure running is on your list somewhere but probably not in top 5 things. Hope the improvement curve is steep. Cheers, Skinny.
  • PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    Mentally or physically? ;-)
    Just physically I hope or I could be in for a long stay!  Actually running is definitely in my top 5. So important for mental health.
    Hope your weird knee pain disappears rapidly.

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    Oh no Pete, that sounds really painful. Hope you recover quickly, although sounds like you are getting stuck into the rehab which is good to hear. 

Skinny - looks like a decent session, few more of those will put you well on the way to a 5K PB. Hope the niggle eases on your un later. 

Good to see you back running again McF. Stick with it and it will get easier! 

Had a busy few days so last week was a bit light on running, so now I obviously think all my fitness has disappeared and I'll be lucky to break 20 minutes in tomorrow's race (which I had originally thought was on Wednesday). 
  • Good luck tonight Tommy - nice accidental taper should have you in fine form.

4 miles last night, 4 miles this morning - no weird knee pain. Onwards.
  • McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    Blooming 'eck, Pete.  Bad luck - sounds nasty.

Good luck, Tommy.

Sounds positive, Skinny. Hopefully that continues.   

I've discovered that running is a lot easier when it's 10 degrees cooler - repeated the same 7 mile route as last Monday last night and it felt much easier. Probably a bit fitter as well but we had no sneaky rests, even on the big hill, and were about 45 secs per mile faster (comparatively flying at 9.29 pace :D) and felt good at the end. Just need to keep it up.  Rest day today but I might attempt some form of tempo run tomorrow  :# .   
  • I saw your time Tommy :-) We would both have gone faster if we had been racing each other!
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    The overall time is only half the story!

I was put in the A race (with a bit of research realised I was the slowest in the wave which worried me somewhat!), however, I thought I was in PB shape (sub 18:30) so thought I'd be ok to hang at the back of the pack and get dragged along a bit and everything would be ok (ish). That was very wishful thinking...

The race was round a two lap course with about 3/4 mile of each lap alongside the Exeter canal with the rest on paths through some playing fields. I got to the venue and got my number etc before starting a warm up lap of the course, quickly realising the section along the canal was straight into a strongish headwind and it would be good to be in a pack when dealing with this bit. There were a couple of ramp sup and down to the canal and a 180 degree turn but other than that a decent flat course. Got back to the start area and there was some very serious looking dudes doing all sorts of stride outs and complicated looking drills with coaches shouting instructions at them etc which increased the anxiety levels up several notches. With a few minutes to go we were called into our holding pens, where I positioned myself firmly at the back, looking in to pen 2 I saw a couple of people I knew who were quicker than me which made me feel even more out of place!

Anyway, the hype man delivered all the safety briefings etc including the fact that we didn't have exclusive use of the paths and there was a very large congregation of people in the skate park next to the course. The hooter goes and off we went and we charge off at what seems like a sprint, after a few hundred yards, we pass through the hordes of people at the skate park and they have lined the route and giving out loads of encouragement which ramped the pace up even more! We get to the first km marker and I have been chewed up and spat out the back door already, a quick look at my watch and the average pace is 5:25 or something...I quickly realise that this is going to be a pretty painful experience. I deliberately slow down and i knew it was effectively going to be a solo time trial, the headwind is pretty strong at that point too to add to my woes. 

Through the first mile in 5:40 and then a very predictable outcome of slowing down for the next couple of miles before managing to raise a bit of a gallop to the finish. I did manage to catch and overtake another bloke in my wave but he overtook me again on the run in. Finish time of 19:14 so about 45 seconds slower than what I was hoping for which isn't great! But I think I've relearned a few lessons about pacing a 5K which I seemed to have forgotten. 

these 5K's are held monthly so I'll probably have another go in July especially as it's the day after the restrictions are due to be lifted so the race should be a normal mass start and I can race against people of a similar pace and not have to deal with a load of 15-17 minute 5K merchants. 

I have a fell race this evening but it's hot and I'm a bit tired so I'm just going to take it steady and treat it as a nice run over the moors rather than any sort of racing ambitions. 
  • That's a shame Tommy - still obviously lots of improvement already in the tank for next time whereas I'm having to build the improvement so I forecast your July time will beat mine but I hope to be competitive with you come September.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Pete, sorry to hear of your fall and the injury sustained. This is where keeping yourself fit and active through life will pay dividends in your recovery.

McF, yes running in 15c is significantly easier than 25c for certain. Though it still doesn't stop me reviewing hot weather runs thinking i'm getting less fit!

Good to hear the knee pain has disappeared, Skinny.

Tommy, it's a decent base point and you know you can find improvements in July just by pacing more sensibly. I do hate the suffering of a 5k and nothing worse than trying to sustain that pace running into a headwind. I am conscious though that at some point i'll need to address my 18.20 pb.

Ticking along nicely here. Having long run Friday, I did my Friday tempo sunday of 8m. Paced it a bit poorly setting out with a 6.12, then 6.21 and finally back to where it should be with a 6.31 and 6.31. I then gradually progressed it 2nd half with sub 6.20 miles coming,  in 6.22mm average for 162bpm so stats a little awry with a HR a bit high for the pace or the pace a bit slow for the HR. Then it was out for Fathers day late lunch and beers for the footy.

Have overdone it since Euro's started so staying off the booze this week until Saturdays game. Mainly easy miles early this week following my 2nd covid jab on Monday, then I pick the one sunny and warm day yesterday to run a session at lunchtime of 3 x 2m off 2 mins walk/jog recovery. 1k reps in the sun are ok as you only have to run for 3-4 mins but 2 miles at a time was hard going. Pairings came in 5.52 and 5.54, 5.47 and 5.57, 5.46 and 5.57 . Overall pace was 6.10 with recoveries and 6.37m in 39.18. As you can see from the individual miles, the 2nad mile in each block I was blowing a bit and overheating.

Mixed pace long run on Saturday morning I the next session of note. Starting to put in consistent 50m weeks again now.

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    What a difference a day makes...

The fell race last night was great and I really enjoyed it. I took it fairly steady on the opening climb but when I got to the top I was feeling pretty good so thought I'd push on a bit. the next couple of miles were undulating and I was catching and overtaking quite a few people especially on the uphill bits. the fourth mile was a long descent and I was in a small group with a couple of blokes I  recognised as they'd beaten me at the fell race a couple of weeks before, so I knew I was doing much better than I expected to after Tuesday's race. The fifth mile included quite a significant climb and I left the group behind and actually felt quite strong on the climb. The last half mile was a steep drop to the finish and I was convinced I was going to be overtaken but when I glanced behind there was nobody to be seen so I had quite an enjoyable run down to the finish. Pretty sure I was in the top 20 but no results available yet. 

A great little race and a much nicer experience than Tuesday night!

Skinny - sounds good, will be good to see how you get on over the next 2-3 months. 

DT - solid as always. 2 mile reps in the heat sounds like a tough ask. 

Pete - hope you're out of hospital now. 
  • McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you had a lovely time at your race, Tommy. Nice to maybe get a top 20 finish as well.

Another good session, DT. 

A few weeks into my comeback I thought it was time to try some kind of faster running. Really it ought to have been a Tempo run but the thought of doing a solid one was a bit grim. Anyway, checked the club sessions and turned out there were some mile reps. Perfect. Not a clue on pace so ran at what felt like a fairly hard effort (not sure it felt very comfortable) and did 3 reps. Came out at about 7.42 pace and pretty consistent across the three. The 3m jog home felt horrible anyway!

So that's three runs this week so far and have a 13 miler planned for Saturday am. 
  • PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    Jailbreaking news.  I came home from hospital on Tuesday.  Still get tired very easily.  I think it will be quite a while before I trouble Garmin Connect again.  Enjoy your running while you can :) 
  • McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    Glad you're home, heal up quickly, Pete.  
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    Glad to hear your home, Pete. 

McF - good to see you back at it and getting stuck in to some speed work. Have you got some races lined up before London?

I have another fell race to report on; another great little race. Fairly gentle uphill for the first mile before a very steep climb up to the first tor which included a lot of hands on knees and almost rock climbing in parts. I'd taken it fairly steady up to this but had still gained quite a few places on the steep climb and was just behind a couple who I've raced against previously so knew I was in roughly the right place. Coming down off the top I lost a bit of the ground to them due to taking a pretty rubbish racing line and also being a bit of a wimp on some of the rock bits of the descent. The fourth mile involved a climb up to another tor, as we went up the climb I was gaining on a couple of others including to my surprise a guy I know who's a very strong runner. I took a quick glance over my shoulder and could see I was well clear of the group behind me so could concentrate on catching the pair ahead of me. 

The next couple of miles were basically downhill, with the first part very runnable on grassy moorland before dropping in to a steep rocky path. It took me pretty much all of that section averaging low 6 pace to catch the two ahead of me. The final run in to the village is all on country lanes including crossing through a ford, which is obviously where the crowds and photographer wait. The two who'd recently passed were just behind me and I was pretty sure the guy from the Navy would come back at me hard so it was full commitment through the water and then try and hang on in the last quarter of a mile to the finish. Coming out of the ford was a short uphill and it was bloody hard work, I felt like I was running slower than anybody has ever ran in the history of running. Round the last corner and downhill to the finish with some low 5m/m action to try and keep the navy man behind me (as it turned out he wasn't that close).

Think I will have finished 25th or so but no results out as yet. Great to have been able to race again over the last few days. 

• McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    What a brilliant photo, Tommy!  Sounds like a good race.  

I'm trying...that's about all I can say.  Met some girls from the club last night for the summer tempo route which is the reverse of Leamington parkrun so quite undulating and 4m long.  In hindsight what I actually needed was a confidence giving solo run on the flat.  In reality I had to stop a few times and decided 4m was clearly crazy talk so turned around to meet them at the finish having done 3m.  We won't talk about how slow I am.  However, the positives are I have done some speedwork two weeks in a row, I feel pretty tired so going to take a cut back week and remember that Rome wasn't built in a day so egos need to be left at the door.  Especially as my power to weight ratio is pretty poor at the moment.  

I'm entered for Kenilworth half in September.  It's a shame Parkrun not on as could really do with something to work paces out from but don't particularly feel like signing up for a race just yet. Might have to do a time trial or something. 

I'm in for London but may take the opportunity to actually enjoy it for once?  I shan't be troubling any PBs at any rate.  
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Tommy, that's an excellent photo. Good to see you getting some regular racing in.

McF, yes, I'd be inclined to go very much solo for the time being as you can then do exactly what is best for you. Consistency will get you places sooner than you imagine.

Pete, good to hear you are now home.

Mixed pace long run ended up Friday and went well enough. 6m easy then 2 x 4m at mara pace off a mile easy then 1m cool down. Saturday became boozy with the footy and very late. Sunday was a rough day but got up and somehow managed 6m then lay down most of the day.

Meaty session yesterday of 3k at hmp, 3 min jog then 4 x1k at 10k pace off 1 minute then another 3k at hmp, kept the blocks consistent and hit the right paces, but the last 3k was harder than i'd hoped as a result of the 1k reps.

Out at 8am today for a 10m very easy MLR.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Anyone about?

Decent week for me last week with a double digit MLR and a comfortable 16m yesterday. Biggish session on Friday of 2 x 5k off 3 mins at 10k effort. Was pretty warm and humid and when the sun came out it was tough going but managed even splits of 18.40/18.41.

Another decent week planned this week, then a 10k race a week Wednesday. Additionally, no long run sunday due to that but also due to picking up tickets for the Euro final I shall be travelling down to Wembley late morning.

• kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭
    DT, great mileage over the past weeks from you and nice splits. Keep posting and giving us inspiration.

Not posted for a while, have been putting in 30 plus miles a week and some cycling, hr still crap since covid.

Hope everyone is doing ok.
  • DT19 said:

due to picking up tickets for the Euro final I shall be travelling down to Wembley late morning.

Wow - could be a once in a life time opportunity - how did you manage to pick them up?

My running has been shit due to work busyness. 8 miles (4,4) two weeks ago and 7 miles yesterday the sum total. Got the second of the four 5ks on Wednesday looking like I'll be slower than the first.

However slow it is I'll then have to trash home for the match!

Cheers, everyone.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Kevin, sorry to hear you are still not back to your best post-covid. I am sure it'll return soon enough though.

Skinny, annoying work is getting in the way! Good luck with the 5k.

As for the tickets, a week last Saturday a few of us were sat in the pub drunk watching Italy v Austria and got chatting about what we would be prepared to pay if a ticket came up. Monday, a friend of one of the lads got wind that UEFA had dropped a small number of tickets for the two semis and the final. So just went on and saw they were in budget and bought some.

Managed to book a very cheap premier inn a couple of tube stops away, which after Saturdays win is now completely sold out, having been selling room this morning 5 times what mine cost. It's a once in a lifetime game anyway, if it's England it's once in more than a lifetime potentially.

• Yeah I think it cost about £1,000 for me and my daughter to be there on Super Saturday at the Olympics but there'll never be another chance and we got very lucky.

Enjoy!! Fingers crossed it's England.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Skinny, yes, by the time I've paid for food and drinks it won't be far short of that mark. But even if it's Spain v Denmark, going to a game of that stature is a once in a lifetime outing.
  • McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    Wow, that will be a great trip - are you taking the kids, DT? 

Made last week a cut back week so 26 miles with a 10 mile long run.  Build back up again this week and will try and get up to 15 or 16 on the long run.  Going to attempt tempo again in a minute, on my own this time - will see how it goes.  

After having my lad home last week due to case in his bubble (only for two days as turned out the kid faked his lateral flow) there has now been a sizeable outbreak in daughter's class with 4 PCR positives so far so she's home for the week and we are back to the joy of home schooling...  

How long ago did you have Covid, Kevin?  
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

McF, no just me and two friends. MY day out is £900, if all 4 of us were going it'd be the cost of a week all inclusive somewhere quite nice. Just can't really justify that given the kids and my wife have a passing interest at best.

We have been very lucky so far, bubbles breaking in every school around here but so far both ours have survived.

Good luck with the tempo. I had a pretty sharp session earlier, 2k (90s)- 1k (3 mins) x 3. Feel like I am struggling to hit that top gear. Managed reasonably decent paces but it felt much harder work than the HR suggested. Funnily enough though I had the same issues for about 3-4 weeks after my first covid jab and I am now 15 days past my  2nd one. Just coincidence on both occasions perhaps, how knows.

• kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭
    Regardless it will be a great day out DT. Just a wee blip as you are running great.

Skinny, good luck tonight.

McF, how did the tempo go?

Finished isolating start of May, getting miles in and hopefully progress over the coming month
  • McFloozeMcFlooze ✭✭✭
    I don't blame you, DT, will be definitely more fun without kids as well.  

The tempo went ok - I elected to do 3 miles of solid tempo (plus warm up and cool down).  Couldn't face 4!  But came out at about 7:50 which ok, is old easy pace but it's getting the legs turning over a bit quicker again.  If we are working on 2 secs per lb I reckon that's 38 seconds per mile to gain just for losing the lard (when I do).  And then about 20 secs more extra fitness and I'd be in reasonable shape  :D.  Next week will aim for the 4m I think.  

The school outbreak is deepening - 6 pupils in my daughters class now positive on the PCR.  We are mostly waiting for everyone else's results. Now three classes out of seven are self-isolating.  Plus double-jabbed parents also testing positive.  And the symptoms are not the classic Covid ones.  
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

How did the race go, Skinny?

McF, when I came back from my stress fracture last year, I actually found the rebuild really exciting as I was getting fit at turbo speed. Pretty much every second run was producing something better and the weight was just coming off.

I felt rubbish yesterday and did a lat flow test. In any normal year i'd just put it as hayfever as tickly and burny throat and just generally groggy and tired (which are the hayfever symptoms I tend to get), but now with everything being a possible symptom you never know. Anyway that was negative as I anticipated.

Very comfortable 10m yesterday lunchtime, hammered down for the full 80 minutes I was out.

Going to be quite a day on Sunday now. When we bought the tickets the 2nd round was just getting underway and we all said our dream final would be England v Italy. I've read that there is some consideration into increasing it from 65% to 100% capacity. Does stick in the throat a bit though that parents can't pitch up in a school field with a deck chair and watch a childs sports day, which for many could be the last one.

4m easy later and spin. Had a 'sensible' amount to drink last night so feeling OK. Big session then tomorrow.

• You are living the dream on Sunday DT! I'm sure it will be a great experience but it will be so much better if England win - enjoy!
  • 19:14 last night - 6:10, 6:20, 6:10 and 34 secs for the scraps mainly round the bouncy running track.
    So above was the first race. Second race last night ran 19:13 so a 1 second improvement :smiley:

As I said above I haven't really run much last two weeks so happy to have managed the same time.

6:15, 6:14, 6:14 and 30 secs for scraps so I probably optimised my fitness level looking at the splits.

Actually I thought I was going to have to stop in the first mile because from quite early on I had a strange hyper ventilating feeling like I couldn't regulate my breathing (but I wasn't running crazy fast) but fortunately it settled down after about a mile and I just followed a woman for rest of race who I knew would run an even paced race and then she sprinted away from me at the end.

Need to get some proper miles in before the next one so I can push a bit more. 
  • 4,0,7.5 incl 5k race, 1.7, 3.8, 3,0 for 20 miles. Something to build on.

Hope you had a great time last night DT - sounds a bit dodgy outside the ground but I'm guessing not everybody will have been aware. Shame about the pens but still you experienced all the excitement live. Must have felt incredibly flat in the stadium when it finished.