Options

Overdone it?

Comments

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    That's good, now they are closing schools and sending kids home as it's too hot. 

Another 6 weeks and you'll be back to sub 18 I'd wager, all being well. 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    36.47 last night. Felt really flat early on and knew the 5.50 pb pace wasn't possible. My hope pre race was somewhere around 36.30, so not a million miles off and still second fastest 10k. Ran an 18.11/18.36 split so drop off in the second half but not the complete capitulation that seemed likely at half way. 

Also it was county champs and walked away with v40 bronze so a reasonable evenings work. 
  • Options
    It was very humid yesterday, so it's still a very good run @DT19 . Splits maybe affected by route more than effort ? Wasn't Droitwich the other week the county champs ?

I'm off on holiday soon for a fortnight somewhere (too) hot so not sure I'll be doing much running to get me into low 18's for 5k in the near future. But will probably give it another bash Saturday morning as my local parkrun is pretty quick these days with the largest one in Birmingham closed for a few weeks.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    It was 23c on my car when I parked up so cooler than it has been but still warmer than you might want.

Nope, they put it as pitchcroft 10k this year. The course couldn't have affected as it was 3 laps of course. 

If I didnt have 10 pin bowling Saturday morning at 10.30 with kids I'd have come along for the social. 
  • Options
    I managed another 18.5x last Saturday at parkrun but a watch gps malfunction meant it measured me running 2.7miles at 6.33 pace. Grr.  (I know it was 18.5x as the chap a fair bit behind me was bang on 19.00). On my hols now and jogging some very warm 4 milers early doors. It looks like the locals get out for their runs around 9pm so may try that out for size. 
  • Options
    Sorry been missing for a while - super busy and odd days off here and there a bad mixture.

36 xx decent time for a 10k still DT particularly if you're running it and feeling disappointed with the time.
    Nice bronze medal too.

Getting there muddy - feels you just need a longer stretch of continuous training and you'll still be a super fast oldy - not that 18:50 isn't still very respectable.

My last few weeks since I last reported.

w/e 17/07 was 5, 0, 11, 0, 6, 8 incl parkrun, 20 for 50 miles total. 

I went into the lead after about 1.5 miles of parkrun and thought I was actually going to be first finisher but someone came past me just before 2 miles and beat me by over 30 seconds. I suspect they hadn't intended to run that fast but realised they could easily win so sped up.

Then after that big weekend and 3 big weeks I had 5 days off so next week became

0,0,0,0,0, 24, 3 for 27 in total. The 24 included 21.5 miles of the October race route and totalled 7866 feet of ascent but took me 7:43 to complete! Weather was shocking too. I discovered I am terrible at technical descending (this is not the running fast downhill but more negotiating rocks and rocky paths downhill although the wet didn't help.

Groin/hip was a bit sore by the end but I've run an 8 and a 6 last couple of days and seems okay.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Well done on parkrun, Muddy. Enjoy the hol. 

Skinny, yes I think that probably happens quite a bit. Bloke turns up planning a steady affair, relises a bit more effort and he'll win so why not. 

Sounds like great fun that 24, Skinny. 

I'm in the pointy end of a big week. 5m and spin Monday, big session Tuesday of 4 x ( 3 x 5 min rotating from 6.50 ,6.20 and 5.50). 9.6m averaging 6.16mm and 13m in total. 12m yesterday andc6m and spin today. 8 x 1m tomorrow then 20 Sunday. 

Planned to get a train to a point on mara course Saturday where runners will pass 4 times, however train strikes mean all trains cancelled. Thought I'd drive to Edgbaston and run an easy parkrun then get metro to centre  and watch maras finish but parkrun cancelled. I'm just going to stay in bed and watch I think. 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Big session yesterday, been dreading it a while and wasn't helped by being warmish yesterday. 8 x 1m off 45s at hmp. Managed it really well and for second successive session felt really strong. Splits of 5.54, 5.55, 5.56, 5.53, 5.54, 5.51, 5.51 and 5.56. 
  • Options
    Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    DT - impressive session there, I can see why you were dreading it! I don't think I would ever have attempted that even at my fittest. If you can manage those paces off such little recovery then you are obviously in good shape. 

37 miles for me last week with a couple of decent sessions in there. Ticking over nicely and fitness slowly moving in the right direction. 
  • Options
    That session sounds brutal DT although it reads as even more brutal to me when I look at the paces and slightly less so when I see it is only your HMP.

Good stuff Mr V - any races planned?

My week was 0, 8, 6, 0, 10, 4 incl parkrun (19:42) and then 27 made up of 18 * 10 min running, 5 min walking for 4 and a half hours. Weekly Total (incl the walking) 55 miles.

Snuck in a sneaky 4:20 marathon into the Sunday run.

Got my 5k race on Wednesday just hoping my legs can recover in time.

• Options
    Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    Skinny probably just parkruns for the time being as I'm still pretty slow right now. Perhaps in another 2-3 months when I'm a bit fitter.

Nice work on the 4 and a half hour outing. How long do you find recovery takes after that kind of effort?
  • Options
    Haha no idea - I'll find out on Wednesday I guess.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    So, how did it go Skinny?

Mr v, I was watching commonwealth games lunchtime and they were talking about johnson-thompson and how sometimes you know you aren't as fit as you want to be and know that racing will push you along so you just got to get out there. Really think you should get a few races in as it seems ages since you last did.

20 on Sunday for 68m for week. 5m and spin Monday and 12m today. Session yesterday of 3k at hmp- 3 mins- 3 x 1k at 5kp- 3 min- 3k at hmp. 

3k came in 11.00 and 11.03. 5k reps were 3.32, 3.33 and 3.33. It was extremely humid yesterday as well as warm so found it harder work than last Friday. Was drenched by time I started ginal 3k block. 

You may recall a while ago I bought those rather excellent shorts. Well I had version 2.0, they are now on 4.0 which sounds too good to pass up so I've invested £95 in a pair. Whilst there I also ordered a soar racing vest  for £65. With my new alphafly v2 I'm set up for glory! Though with my running watch as well, it'd be worth someone mugging me and stripping me down!

6m and spin tomorrow. 
  • Options
    SkinnyPart2SkinnyPart2 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Castle 5k Race 3 of 4

I'd known since I ran 18:43 in the first race of the series in June that I would be in PB shape for this race (injuries permitting) and this was the first time since my foot injury in 2017 that I could say that.

However I'd jeopardised that by run/walking 27 miles on Sunday, having a few drinks at a concert the day before, walked about 7 miles round Glasgow shopping today and also I seemed to have got a tummy bug off my wife so everything was not quite as clear cut as it could be. In fact in the afternoon I was toying with not racing at all but I had about a half hour sleep on the train on the way home and felt a bit better for it.

When you put that race number on though and do a few strides you know you're going to give it a go.

My PB was 18:33 and my 18:43 splits (when garmin measured course as 3:08) were 6:10, 6:04, 6:04 and 25 secs for scraps which meant around 6mm should do the job.

Because it is a fast course a lot of fast people turn up (first 3 finished in sub 15:20) so I was on about second row at start when gun went off and still a bit out of practice I started my watch at gun rather than as I crossed the line (more of that later).

Despite all the fast people after about half a mile I found myself in a gap between groups which wasn't ideal with the wind but I didn't want to slow down and I couldn't go faster - normally around then I look at my watch but I resisted and just kept going at pace I had set off at - went through first mile in 5:57 (3 seconds up on target pace and 13 secs up on my 18:43 pacing). Didn't feel great but kept going.

Next mile 5:58 and it's hurting now but this is PB pace so no backing off now.

At roughly 2.3 miles someone caught me up but I didn't feel like I had slowed and he couldn't run away from me so this really helped me keep my stride. Just before the bouncy running track there is a short ramp down to it at about 2.9 miles and I made that my goal - get to that and I could surely finish it off. I was into distressed noisy breathing now and the guy next to me nicely said something like 'keep going mate' which maybe helped although it's all a bit of a blur.

On to the running track and he passed and ran away from me but I just dug in and, form all over the place, pushed for the line. Stopped my watch and collapsed on the ground at which point my sunglasses steamed up and I couldn't see anything. Heart was pounding like it's never been at end of a race so I knew I'd left nothing out there but surely I'd smashed my PB based on the splits being so much faster than my 18:43.

Eventually sat up and took my glasses off and looked at my watch - 18:34 - arggghhhhh! Measured 3.12 miles this time and so the 0.04 had made all the difference.

Then I remembered that I'd started my watch on the gun so I'd probably equalled my PB - a lot of pain and suffering to do that. Results are normally live as you finish but they weren't out so jogged home and ate some fish and chips then had a look.

18:33 Gun Time for 18:31 chip time and a nice shiny 2 second PB - 6 years since my last PB. Only 2 seconds but a PB is a PB. 

Splits of 5:57, 5:58, 5:58 and 38 secs for the scraps.
  • Options
    Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    Skinny fantastic effort and amusing race report too. Must be great running a PB after such a gap!
    Any desire now to see if you can challenge your PBs at other distances?

DT yes you are probably right given it is well over 3 years since I last raced. I think you need a certain base level of fitness to benefit though, and I'm probably not quite there yet. Perhaps I'll aim to get a couple of things in for autumn. 

Impressive kit hoarding there! I feel like we are missing out on the socks though. Do soar make those too?
  • Options
    Mr V said:
    Skinny fantastic effort and amusing race report too. Must be great running a PB after such a gap!
    Any desire now to see if you can challenge your PBs at other distances?
    According to Race Time converter the time last night is not fast enough to PB at any other distance - but the 10 mile PB is doable I think.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    That's fantastic, Skinny. Chuffed for you after all the ups and downs. 

FWIW, my recent 5k which was just shy of a pb suggests I shouldn't get near any of times from 5m up. 1.22 for a half and 2.54 for a mara and even 1.02 for a 10m. Quite bizarre how adapted we come to certain distances, or in my case and 5k, unadapted! 

Before you update the TTT could you post the latest version as I'm sure mine will require adaption. 
  • Options
    This is current file - my WAVA is out of date. Think yours is too and I'll let you tell me what else.

Cheers
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Skinny, my times are all correct but few other things if you are updating anyway-

Age 46
    Wava 80.05 on po10 from recent 5k
    I need to move along the order with my 10k time as quicker than lit and Mr v
    5m bronze shading.

10m tempo in a bit. 
  • Options
    Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    My only changes are that I'm older (36) and fatter  :D

Rest day today but hopefully I'll get down to parkrun in the morning for a decent effort.
  • Options
    Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    I was thirty10 earlier this week. An actual veteran now. 

Congrats Skinny on the PB, great to see after all the injury issues you've had to deal with. 

I'm not running very much at the moment but hoping to get back to some sort of regular running, if work doesn't get in the way. 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Tommy, happy big birthday! 

Mr v, re the soar socks, I really like my nike race socks as they come in single sizes so mine are 7-8 and fit much better than a sock that is a wide range of sizes. 

10m tempo at my usual mp/160bpm came out 6.16mm for 161bpm. 6.20 average at half way then picked it up to average 6.12 second half. 
  • Options
    muddyfunstermuddyfunster ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Happy <mumbles>-ieth Tommy ! I hope you celebrated in style.

Congratulations on the pb Skinny, you can Bubka away at that now ...

Managed a couple of moderate weeks of running in hot and humid weather while away. I did lots of swimming too and now I appear slightly less ghostly than before. I hope to get the ball rolling tonight with a run in milder temperatures.

Mad sessions as always DT. I admire your dedication to the programme.

(Edited split infinitive for fear of Lit)

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Looks like you got a reasonable amount of running in, Muddy.

I made an off schedule and late decision to parkrun Saturday having woke early and it looking nice out.  Headed to my local event awning a 19.50. Mile 1 came in 6.13, then 6.09, 6.03 and 5.35mm as I opened legs up for finish. It was quite enjoyable and posted 19.10. Commonwealth games athletics in the evening which was a great night in the sunshine. 

Sunday was 21m giving just under 72m for week being 0.2m off my highest ever week, however I did two spin classes last week versus 1 on my highest week so my biggest training week and 3 sessions with parkrun. Headed into brum Dundry afternoon to take in atmosphere. It was like I imagine it is on the last shopping Saturday before Xmas but very warm. However it was a different busy in that no one was rushing and lots of competitors from different countries were milling around in their team track suits etc. 

5m recovery yesterday then a taper session in the mid afternoon sunshine of 4 x 1m off 2 mins. I opted to stand in shade for the 2 mins instead of jog. Reps came in 5 56, 5.52, 5 49 and 5.50. 

Sundays half looks set to be ruined by the heat in so far as running a good time. 
  • Options
    Village Bakery half Sept 4th instead ?
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I'm committed to this now, taper under way and recovery week next week as on hols. 

I'll get a decent training effect from race at least and it may be similarly hot in Berlin. 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Newark half today. Decided Friday with weather forecast to abandon my taper so 8m Friday night and 6m yesterday left me no longer race fresh. 

Lewis suggested I run it between half and mara pace and mentioned 6.10mm. Sat at 6.10 average pretty much whole race coming in 80.57 and first in age cat so £40 cash prize. 

It was very hot in second half, a mix of fast rising temp and being on treeless country roads so nowhere to shelter. My average hr was only 167, usually it'd be between 170-175 for a raced half and I only moved to the red zone from mile 11. However I dont think I could have run it any faster without imploding through over heating. Most were a good 3 mins down on usual times. 

Slightly disappointed not to consolidate at sub 80 having done so at sub 18 and sub 37 but today wasn't the day for chasing times. I can tell I didn't race, my body now just feels like I've done a 15m run. 
  • Options
    That's excellent DT in the heat without a taper.

I was in America last week and returned on Friday night but got up at 8 to parkrun. Really frustrating as led for whole first lap, of 3, but legs were just empty and couldn't maintain any sort of pace after that - funniest bit was I'd had someone on my shoulder the whole first lap so when I dramatically slowed to a jog at end of first lap he dramatically slowed too to continue sitting on my shoulder - eventually another group of 3 runners caught us up and he ran off with them. He won it in 20:15 - I ran it in 20:06 a few weeks ago. I finished in about 21:50 and still had to jog 3 miles back home.

In more depressing news at end of that run and all yesterday even to walk on my foot hurt. Same place as a few years ago, same pain. Hopefully it will clear up quickly this time. Annoyingly since I ran my 5k PB I chose to back off for a couple of weeks to ensure a PB didn't lead to an injury. Feel a bit stupid now.... 
  • Options
    Mr VMr V ✭✭✭
    DT - that's a pretty impressive effort given the heat, lack of taper and the fact you weren't racing it. Sure you'll get a pretty decent training effect from it too. 

Skinny - that's hugely frustrating, just as you are hitting such great form. Really hope it doesn't amount to anything and clears up quickly for you.

I had a bit of a cutback week to tie in with the heat but still managed 31 miles and a couple of decent sessions. Looking forward to the cooler conditions this week particularly for the faster stuff.
  • Options
    Amazing last 5 miles of the men's marathon.