Friday 29th August 2003

16 miles, hopefully in the rain..

Enjoy it all out there.

Comments

• Okay, I know this is late but we're ready and just dropping into bed now!

Thanks for well wishes everyone - have packed all running gear and HRM so no shirking while I'm away :o)

See you in a week chaps

Oh, and in case anyone was wondering .... did get to gym today but only did minimal workout - have expended enough energy running around packing...

Oh and finally, Onc was not only pleased at my progress but well and truly shocked I would say ... he was visibly amazed to see a) I'd lost weight and to hear that b) I was back at work full-time and going to the gym every day!

:o) Good day all round

See you next week!
  • Good for you Cath, that'll inspire him to see what people can do.

Enjoy your long run Steady.

What: 1 hr off road at 6.30 am up steep hill, along bridleway and around the park, flushing out all the rabbits and pheasants as I did so.
    Why: shamed into getting out by all you early birds! It was well worth it, cheers.
    Last hard: Wed
    Last rest: yesterday.

Have a good day all.
  • what: easy 5k
    why: did very little training this summer slowly getting back into it

next hard: tomorrow 11k (if I can drag myself out off bed ontime)

Have a nice holiday Cath, amazing achievements, you definitely deserve a holiday.

Good luck on your 16 miles Steady
  • fat facefat face ✭✭✭
    Morning all.

I'd have loved an early run this morning but I started work at 6, and I'm not that keen dedicated!!

Yesterdays easy 6 followed by efforts turned into something totally different so:-

what: rest or 30 mins easy
    why: I'm knackered
    last hard: yesterday - easy 6 and then 4 miles very hard (sub 10K pace)
    last rest: Friday

Have a good weekend everyone.
  • Morning:

Enjoy the rain Steady, started here in London too.

Early one for you Laura!!

Had changed plans today, should be hill reps but working saturday night so my sunday will be spent in bed so long run was now planned today of 15 miles, but niggle in right knee as like begining of year has semed to come back so cut it short to only 10 miles.

What: 10 miles

Why: See above

Last Hard: Weds

Last Rest: Saturday

Enjoy the rain if its coming your way!!!
  • Morning all,

What: 9 miles jog done, weights at lunchtime then a short jog tonight

Why: 'Weight loss' and aerobic base building

Been very bad this week with junk food, so don't expect to have lost much weight. Will get a bit more disciplined from tomorrow.

Beer and curry night tonight!!!
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    What: nothing
    Why: rest before tomorrow's longer run

Its very wet outside is summer finally over?
  • GOOOOooooOOOOOD mornin all :)

What: crazy 10k 2 nights ago
    Why: Wanted to see if i stil had it in me

Meant to go to the gym last night but thanks to the power cut over south London was forced to relax.

I think it might well be Gemini, but i do my pb's when its raining.... Strange?
  • fat facefat face ✭✭✭
    It's a beautiful morning in Liverpool :-)
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Raining here too and I love it! As long as it's not blustery winds with it though, which it isn't so I love it!

Laura-sounds like a lovely run and very early!

Enjoy your 16 miles Steady!

Happy hols Cath and glad things went well with the Onc!

Speedie-hope the knee niggle clears soon!

What:1 mile swim
    why:being good and letting my overused lower leg muscles heal before tough off road race on Sunday
    Last hard:Tues
    Last rest:today from running but from doing no sport last Sat.
  • AardvarkAardvark ✭✭✭
    Morning,

what: weights
    why: legs need rest from last night's hills
    last hard: yesterday
    last easy: wednesday

Last night's hills felt good, cheered on by local kids. They thought we were mad as we sprinted down their road about 8 times during the session. Come to think of it, maybe they had a point.

Happy running.
  • ah Brighton

Im doing the Reebok 10k in Nov. Is it as flat as they say it is? I take its simply along the sea front drive and back...?

Still raining in Wimbledon :(
  • BodBod ✭✭✭
    What - Very easy 40mins later on
    Why/last hard - Last night with club, went out with a group of faster runners for a run around town with a few efforts -turned into one long 54min effort just to keep them in sight. Someone reckoned between 7 and 8 miles - if so just broke my 10k PB!, ave HR 168. Felt good for it afterward though
    Last rest - Wed

• Morning all!

What an absolute disaster in getting home from work last night, what should have taken 30 minutes ended up taking 3 hours, so wasn't able to get my training session in yesterday!! So Today was supposed to be a rest day, but I am going to try and do yesterday's session today!!

What: 7 Miles
    Why: Wasn't able to do it yesterday!
    Last rest: Forced Yesterday
    Last Hard: Tuesday I think.

Good luck all with the weekend whether just training or racing!
  • Morning all

Brewster - the Brighton 10k is not absolutely flat, there must be a good 10 feet to climb past the pier. yes it's out and back along the sea front.

What - nothing, hamstring is definitely not right, so feeling fed up (3 hours stranded on a train last night didn't help)

Hope everyone else has a better day.
  • wet morning all (at last)

had planned to run outside to gym last night but due to torrent falling I drove there and used tmill instead (wimp) before hsort weights session. Now having confidence in achilles I'm upping the distance and am going to follow a low intensity pattern for about a month to try to raise lactate threshold. Seems as good a time as any since I want to avoid hills and too much speedwork whilst the achilles strengthens. hopefully it will allow other joints to strengthen too and catch up with cv system

So I "easy ran" 5mile/50 mins aiming to stay just under 70% WHR - edged up to target over first 15mins and reached 10km/h - was able to hold this for a further 15 mins before I had to drop the pace gradually, finishing on 8.8km/h to hold HR. all seems very slow compared with the w/e "easy" race at 12.5km/h.

Aim to repeat today though may try to increase time to 1 hr.

Enjoy Budapest LynneW and Italy Cath - seriosuly impressive dedication there.

Brewster - Brighton 10k is dead flat with just 2 U-turns to throw your stride.
  • 10 ft climb... best get my climbing gear out and high altitude oxygen mask then!

And of course that sea air!

gym tonight as its always nice and quiet on a friday :)
  • Damp cool and overcast here in London E1.

Session with physio - the usual probing with fingers and thumbs - calf still tender but he didn't make me wince as he did last Saturday. No evidence of any muscle tear - so can continue easy running (no hills or speed work though) with some more intensive stretches to do. Will rest today (open air concert this evening at Hever Castle) and try an easy run tomorrow - maybe a duration run on Sunday.

Good luck to any one racing at the weekend and speedy recoveries to all with aches pains and niggles etc. Go carefully out there.
  • Morning everyone. Raining in London and actually quite cool!

What: resting
    Why: felt very tired on waking and need to be rested for long run tomorrow.
    Last hard: Wednesday
    Last rest: Sunday

If the rain goes away I might do an hours easy cycling or failing that some swimming drills at the gym.
  • Morning Everybody

busy morning at work so quite late in writing

What: 6miles am done 10 miles pm steady
    why: mileage building

have a good day
  • Hi Peeps,

Brewster, I will be doing the Reebok 10k as well.

what: it should have been hills but the legs feel tired. So, it will be 1 hour on the tready (maybe with some hills thrown in)

Have a great weekend everyone!
  • Hi!

Well, feeling refreshed but a little guilty after my day off yesterday!!

Treadmill for 45mins and a swim tonight to ease shins back in, then a 10miler tomorrow.

Only a week to go before my first half marathon. Confidence crisis is here already.
  • Bungy - if you can manage a 10 mile endurance run as part of your training then provided you allow sufficient time to recover you shouldn't have too many problems in completing 13.1 miles in a race. It's not a bad thing to be a little nervous ahead of a race but if your preparation has been good (and you've stayed in relatively good shape) you should have confidence in doing yourself justice - if for whatever reason the race doesn't go as planned and/or you fall short of your own expectations, identify the reason(s) why, resolve to learn from the experience and try and improve on your next outing. The same applies to all of us no matter how many races we may have done. Good luck.
  • Morning

Just back from a 19 mile run at a slow pace it was great really enjoyed it.I can't believe I did it!!!

Happy Running everyone
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Afternoon,

Well done Welsh Poppy, 19 miles is triffic. Ive only got as far as 16 so far, but im going to attempt 18 on Sunday.

What: Rest

Why: did 8.5 miles yesterday, which is enough for some of us on a Thursday. Im also saving energy for Sunday.

Last hard: Tuesday

Last rest: Monday (bank holiday seems so far away already)

have fun
  • u people putting on the miles... guess ill have to start soon if i get into FLM2004...

how do u go from a 10k runner to marathon?
  • TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    Long run of 17 miles tonight, if I get away at a reasonable hour from work and resist the temptation to stop for beers at the Forum outing.

Mmmmmmust.. resist
    mmm beeer mmmm