Options

Round Rippon Ultra 35 miles

Comments

• Options

Nosemi - sounds like a great day out.  I find the toughest bit of the route is actually on road - the climb up Ilton bank which feels like a 1 in 1 - I think its 17% but feels way steeper than that.

• Options
    I haven't had a chance to recce this route At all and I'm starting to thing is it really a good idea to even do the race. I'm worried about getting lost nevermind running the huge distance. Eeeeek
  • Options
    Has anyone got a route map from the previous races?
  • Options
    If you look on the Facebook page that somebody started, through is a route description that has been posted. Print that off and you'll be fine.
  • Options

Hi all..I too am in on this one,i too have not a clue about map reading or where we are going,But i did the country to capital in jan 45 mile eith go beyound & just tagged along with others ok we did take one wrong turn but their was about 16 off us so we soon got back on track.id say dont worry to much their will be a few who have done this run before so tag along and enjoy...i too am up on the friday hope you all enjoy what will be a great day,and steve knows how to put on a great race.

• Options
    The thing I am most nervous about is I am a slower runner already so I am just hoping I make it in in the time limit. I have no doubt I will finish just a matter of when image I am a fighter though so will kick my own butt if I have to
  • Options
    Amanda, I'm slow too. I ran from Folkestone to Dover and back again along the south downs route which is pretty darn hilly. It was only 17miles but I felt like I had done 26.2. I am so nervous. Are you wearing a camelbak? Ive borrowed one and it can hold my waterproofs, gels and phone. Or shall I not bother with the extra weight of fluid?
  • Options

Hi all.  Yes, this route does involve navigation but the written route description is excellent and I;ve only gone wrong in one place (both years!) and that was as I didn't exactly follow the written instructions as it felt wrong (but transpired to be right!). There are plenty of alternatives to get back on track even if you do go wrong.  I would recommend carrying some of your own fluids/supplies as there are large gaps between some of the refreshment stations  - especially in the latter stages when you are slowing down so it takes longer between stations. I dont carry much extra but I do carry some - that way even if you do get lost you still have supplies until you get back on track.  Its a gorgeous route and most is easily navigable and only a couple of tricky sections. I;m am quite navigationally challenged (!) & I made it round the route. image I usually take about an extra hour to get the the marathon point in the race than I would do on a trail marathon ie road marathon pace 3:45, trail marathon pace, 4:00, Ripon Ultra at marathon distance pace (4:50 ish).

• Options

Amanda/Ruth - Don't worry about being slow, 35 hilly miles is a long way, it's virtually impossible to set off too slowly. Remember you only have to average 3.5mph to get home within the time limit, which is roughly 17mm pace.  As long as you are going faster than this, then the time limit won't apply.  Think tortoise and hare image  Setting off too quickly on the initial flat section could leave you in a world of discomfort once the hills kick in over the second half.  Based on the course profile, hills kick in at 15 mile point, so my plan is to try and get there having barely broken into a sweat, to try and make sure I have plenty left in the tank.

Jovi - care to enlighten us on which bit you went wrong at - if you detoured twice, would be useful to know where we have to be a bit more careful!

• Options

...and another thing, I mailed the organisers about what would be in the race pack that we pick up at registration, and it is just a copy of the maps that we can currently download from the event website, we will NOT get written directions.

The directions that were posted on the FB site are unofficial, and not guaranteed to be correct by the organisers, so anyone who has a copy of those needs to use them under advisement.

• Options

Hello image yes I am taking my Nathan back pack but am not filling it too full as I don't want it to be heavy - I plan on just topping it up at the aid station if needed. I will be taking a windproof/waterproof jacket (type depends on if it looks like it will chuck it down) and my husband and dad are going to be driving to each check point so will be there for some much needed support image

With ref to written instructions I emailed the organisers when I entered and that is what they sent me so it is odd that they are no longer giving them out - either way when I plotted the route I read very carefully through the instructions and matched them up to the route and they seemed to fit well so fingers crossed.

Thank you ian for your re assurance ref timings. I am sure I can make that then image am really looking forward to this now. I have rather than doing really really long runs broken my long run day up in to 2 halfs so a 2.5 - 3 hour in the morning then 1 - 1.5 hour in the evening. I have coupled this with Hill thresholds, different types of threshold training, long run with threshold efforts 3 x 10 mins at the end and have also been doing the insanity workout every morning 6 days a week so I feel fitter than I ever have.

I am at the Robin hood half marathon this weekend so if any of you are there let me know and we can say hi image

Cant wait for the 6th

• Options

I got lost on the section that is before Sawley (the final checkpoint) - the final couple of miles before it is OK but the 5-6 before is a bit harder navigation wise. the main issue is a particular farm that has had the footpath diverted so you loose track when you go off on the footpath diversion (well I did!) . I've also always ended up going through someone's garden in Sawley - on the map it looks like the path goes through the garden but it never feels right somehow going through someone's garden! Another tip - when you go through North Stainley go through a sort of alleyway between the houses rather than round the housing estate - you end up in the same place but the alleyway is quicker - hard to explain but when you are on the ground you will know what I mean! I have some written instructions from last year so will use those. I think you'll find on the day written instructions will be provided.  they weren't advertised as being provided last year but in the end they were.

• Options

Unless it is a freakishly warm day (like last year!) I would definitely recommend a warm/waterproof layer is carried - in previous years they have stipulated it in the kit list.  some of the moorland sections above Kirby Malzard are very exposed and in bad weather it could be a bit dodgy if you got lost without proper kit.

• Options

All those Garmin connect tracks on page 1 of the forum do give a good idea of the terrain - ie reasonably flat in the first 15 miles and then undulating/hilly in the last 20 miles! 

• Options

Amanda - sounds like you will be absolutely fine, lots of good training there.  Will have to catch up with you re the Insanity workouts, have been seriously thinking about doing that after Ripon, would be interested to know how well you managed combining the workouts with running.

Jovi - thanks for all the good info, keep it coming!  I suspect the farm you are talking about is one of the 2 that are located quite close together at around mile 29-30, just after Eavestone Lake.  I know someone else had trouble at that point when doing a recce a few weeks ago.  Think I might go and suss that bit out on the Friday night, before I get to my B&B.  Assuming it's not dark when I get there!

On the weather front, still a bit early to have anything concrete, but this link here is suggesting cold, sunny, calm and dry.  I think we'd all take that looking out of the window today!

• Options
    @ian66 I have been really enjoying insanity I actually look forward to it in the

Mornings and took it to Dubai on holiday so I didn't miss any (along

With my running shoes) I am due to go to the max stuff next Monday but think I will repeat a week so I start the Monday after the ultra
  • Options

Hi all.  I have the written directions I had last year.  If anyone wants to PM me their email address I can forward them on.  I must stress I accept no liability for the reliability or otherwise of them but hopefully they may help out on the day! image

• Options
    Jovi I have also posted them on our Facebook site you should join us on there we are very originally named the round ripon ultra marathoners image
  • Options

I've just sent request to join the FB group

• Options

Thanks - have added a few posts!

• Options

Hi all, I am doing this race and having read through the forum am now bricking it even more than I was.  I dare not send my running partner any of the details about hills and moors as it will freak her out as well!  I am the navigator for us and I am getting concerned about getting lost.  I did the Yorkshireman Marathon as part of my training and based on that I dont think I will be finishing much under 9 hours.  I also have shin splints so have had to rest up for a while, am having a massage tonight to try and get it in better shapped.  It got me round the Yorkshireman so fingers crossed.  One question, at the checkpoints is it possible to fill up your water bottle mine is 500ml, rather than just getting a cup of water (at the Yorkshireman I was able to fill up so only needed to take one bottle).  I am trying to travel light as I cant run with a backpack on, so make do with bum bag and water bottle.

• Options
    Come join our Facebook page plenty of advice on there and there are a few at

Your pace so no need to worry xx
  • Options

Thanks Amanda will do.  Sarah.

• Options

Sarah - yes, you should be able to fill your bottle up.  If its the same as last year you'll also be able to sit on a deckchair and have a cup of tea and some cake at checkpoint 2 in Masham! image In fact, if I recall correctly there is fruit cake at all the checkponts.  If you've done the Yorkshireman you should manage this OK.  When I ran this the first time in 2010 I'd never done an ultra before.  I had done a 25 mile fell race but nothing beyond that (just sent you written instructions as per message)

• Options

Thanks Jovi,  if I sit down on a deckchair that will be it, no getting me up, especially if I am given a nice cup of tea, sounds like a nice day out watching the world do by!  Anyway I have to get to CP4 as I am partial to a sausage roll, although a pork pie would really do the trick!  Yum Yum.

• Options

Does anyone have a clue how wet under foot this is likely to be, thinking of dropping out as the footpaths around here are flowing like streams and I like my feet??

• Options

Now then whats this dropping out - come on Sally think of all the training you have done, its only one day with wet feet, plenty of time for them to recover afterwards, it will be wet and muddy unfortuantely but the scenary will make up for it, and tomorrow is meant to be sunny.  I've booked an appointment with the Chiropodist on Monday to sort my tootsies out!  Already have two black toes, that's whole toes not just nails, I fear the poor women may pass out when she sees them!

• Options

Don't even think about it Sally!!  Put a couple of pairs of dry socks in your pack, and change into them at each CP.  Don't waste all that training, you can still do it!!

• Options

Sally you will be fine. think of all that lovely cake and the feeling when you finish.