What do you do with your sweaty clothes?

My house is always full of sweaty clothes hanging in various places as I dont want to put them in wash basket when they are still wet... I'm sure that would be a biohazard! Not only that but the smell would never come off them in the wash either... (I'm allergic to the smell of damp)

What do you do with yours? Do you wash them straight away? Hang them to dry? Re-use them????

Maybe I should get a bigger house with extra room just to hang my stuff in there out of sight...

Comments

• Straight in the machine. Usually clothes waiting to be washed, so put them all in together. My cap which cannot go in the machine i just mix with hot water and some softner, leave it a while.

I dont run every day, sometimes alternate days, or a two day break. I learnt with running to take a few days off, otherwise i dont recover enough for my long runs where i am going for it. Is good for my body, and good for my laundry ha ha...

• i agree ghostrider - alternate days work for me too (when i am running!) with laundry and body image

elli, i have a chair in my room over which i air outer layers

and i either put other clothes in with laundry

or in on their own on last rinse cycle after every run, i personally find theres enough residual soap in machine to do that small an amount which has only been worn once.

• sarah:In washing machine then hang out to dry. Most techical kit dries quickly. Shoes take slightly longer if very wet !! My running shoes are inthe  big box in our back garden as they smell.

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

My clothes just wind up in a big heap on the floor. Running / cycling gets washed together. I don't wash with anything else. I use only washing soda. Air dry.  No problems with smell. I don't just rinse, I do a full wash - they are probably the dirtiest of my clothes as I sweat so much.

I do something most days - run, swim, cycle, core, weights.

• I agree, don't want to put them in the basket wet, so straight in the machine!

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

I do something most days (usually running and the rowing machine on alternate days). There's only me in the house and I'm not going to do a laundry cycle every day so my sweaties go straight into the basket and get fished out once a week or so for a separate wash. As long as I don't let it build up, it's manageable.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    I try to wash then straight away as I can't stand the smell of sweaty clothes.
  • I do something most days (well not at moment) and the kids run and do athletics so there's normally plenty to be washed so it's always done separately with non bio washing tablets as that's better for the wicking. I sweat just thinking about exercise so always need to hang my gear on an airier over the bath to dry out first then we have a separate plastic wash bin for running/cycling gear so as not to contaminate normal clothes !!
  • Everything goes in the basket and appears clean and folded in my drawers the next time I need then.  Only the clothes used for maintenance jobs go in a seperate pile.

• I have in the past on these forums joked about the state of my kit, Truth is though its a bit worn it is ordour free.I air dry items after each run, then at the end of the week everything I have worn more than once is washed. I have enough kit to alternate shorts and tops over 4-6 days.

Thats basically the rule for all my clothes that are not underwear, socks or dry clean only. I try to stay away from heavly perfumed soap powers and never use a dryer.

I have been in the presence of too many men and women who think they are in a Lynx/Poison advert not to know perfume doesnt hide anything

• Pretty similar to Stephen. I have enough kit to do me for the week, and leave things to air in a utility room (window open) until I've built up a wash. No smelly fabric conditioner or anything like that. I learnt long ago never to try to get two wears out of a sports garment: do that a couple of times and the odour will never really come out.

The one exception to this are my VFFs. I have to make the admission that, even though I don't wear socks with them, I've never washed them. Must have about 500 miles on them now. They do smell a bit, but not unpleasantly so (they most definitely get moved when guests come round, though). I actually like the smell, since they remind me of running and - to me - don't have that nasty bacteria-sweat smell.
  • Embarrassed to say that I wear my kit two or three times before I wash it and at this time of year I sweat a lot. It just gets thrown in the corner of the room until the following day and is sometimes slightly damp when I put it on.

Shoes are almost permanently wet during rainy periods such we've had recently..
  • i had to smile at your comment, faithsdaddy . . . . . .

i take it you have a resident laundry fairy . . . .

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Burn them.

🙂

• mine find there own way to the washing machine after a run so just make a load up out of the washing basket and wash them straight away

• We havea large washing box (wooden 1.25mx.05mx0.5m) every goes in there after use. Soaking wet clothes get air dried first. Not really caused problems. I'd like to wash stuff straight away but as we don't have a washing machine it gets done weekly in the launderette.

I break all the rules for technical fabrics - I use biological detergent with added fabric conditioner and finish it is in the tumble drier. All still seems to work ok.I also add a scoop of nappysan to the machine as someone reccomded it on here to get rid of any lingering sweat smells.

• madmickiemadmickie ✭✭✭

bathroom floor - this hi tech gear washes itself doesnt it? 

• Usually wear a T-shirt 2 or 3 times before washing. Just hang over banisters to air. When time to wash just bung it in with the other stuff.

• It gets washed as soon as I get home, if I'm not doing a machine load then I'll handwash technical stuff in Milton's fluid to get rid of the sweaty smell and then again in normal stuff to get rid of the Milton-smell image

My VFFs get washed every couple of weeks, Miltons again!

• There are some right smelly 'erberts on this here forum.

I put mine in the laundry basket and then wash them once there's enough for a load.

• Mine goes straight into the shower with me after a run, which seems to give them a good enough soak to stop them going too nasty. Then it's air dried then used again a few times before a proper wash.

• What's big deal, let all the clothes washed in machine and dry them off, if still there is something wet, throw out in the sun, nothing will be left having wet anymore. . .. big house-no no no. .

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

I work out in the morning before work often in a gym,.  I usually rise them in the shower, (assuming the gym's swimming trunk centrifuge thing is working) and then air them under my desk. Then into the laundry same day.

• we have a separate basket for sports kit and it goes in the wash as soon as the basket is full

• I sell mine on eBay to various perverts. Very profitable.

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Clothes straight off and in the machine for a cold rinse and then on the line. As long as they are rinsed straight away the smell doesn't build up. Very rarely wash any technical gear.
  • Yuk, JT141. I pity anyone you live with or run near!