Dublin 2012

Comments

• Nice 3 miles last night, managed to avoid the worst of the rain.

• Wet & soggy 4miler this morning - think I'm getting trench foot! Still, at least by going out at 7.15 it's over & done with for the day. Really shouldn't think like that!

Schedule this week is 3,4,3,9 and like you EmmaC, mine peaks at 40 (5,10,5 & 20) but not for another 11 weeks. Plenty of time to build up - groan! image 

Good luck for your 10k race image

• Thank you Puffling - I was hoping for a pb but now think just getting under the hour will be the name of the game!

• Started out on my five miler yesterday only to have to stop after 10 minutes...I tweaked my hamstring on Sunday (big empty step going down a set of stairs) and just was too sore to run on...I'm really fed up!  Our HM is in 4 weeks....hopefully I'll get it sorted. image

(My hubby is an osteopath so at least I get quick treatment on it) image

• Hope you can get it sorted out soon furball, nothing worse than having an injury when all you really want to do is crack on with the running.

• 4 miles round the park.

• Arghhh!!  LSR of 9miles - not pleasent image.  Nearly had a major meltdown but struggled on regardless.  Home in time to watch highlights of Tour de France - now that's what I call pain!! Puts everything into perspective.

Good luck to all with the weekends training.

• 20-miler for me today...happy enough as just brought 500ml of water, so 40 miles for the week which equals the previous week's total...

endurance is fine so going to focus on strength & speed for next couple of weeks....image

what are we now from D-Day? 14 weeks? 

• Sounds like a good run adog, Had a 16 miler today to keep the weekly average at the 50 miles a week mark. Still a little nervous about the endurance but should be okay. Hadnt realised until you said about it being 14 weeks away but yes we have just sneaked under the 100 days to go marker...

• Hi!

I'm Dublin 2012 is going to me my first marathon. I did only 2 races, 10K Movember Dublin run in 2010 (don't remember time) and 25K last summer in Singapore (was about +35C and super humid) - 2:25

Hope do finish it under 4:30, will be super happy to go under 4:15 image

I'll move back to Dublin (dublin 2) from Singapore this Wed. Will be happy to go for some trainings together. 

• Holy-moly, less than a hundred days!  I was planning Dublin as my first marathon but I'm only starting to get focused now.  I did my first HM at the end of June, and have been taking it easy since, maybe only doing 10-15 miles a week.  Will probably do 30ish miles this week including a 10 mile long run, I hope I'm not starting too late!

• Definitely not too late - depending on what you want from it.

If you just want to get round then you're fine - my schedule doesn't have me at a 10 miler for another 3 weeks.

If you're after the best time you can possibly do then you are probably too late but I guess you're aims are somewhere in between so don't worry, just get the miles in
    !

• You've got me pegged, I really just want to get round, ideally without having to get into a walk-run scenario.  I should have the potential for 3h 50something, but in reality I'll probably look at a 4h 15m goal.  Either way, if I make it to the start line, and the finish I'll be content.

• You'll be fine. Build on what you're at and those times are realistic I think.

Me, I'm a plodder at the back and way slower than you, but have enjoyed the 2 marathons I've done immensely.

• Thats nine slow miles in two days, need to get my finger out eleven weeks to go or something!

• No - just London.

• Was just wandering whether they provide energy drinks at the drinks stations etc.  Although it seems to be water only according to the website.

• Definitely carry your own gels or sweets to get you round. Makes a hell of a difference.

Of course there'll be shops on the way!

• Energy gels were dished out in 2010 (High 5) & I think some sort of energy drink (sorry - can't remember which one)  but as yet, can't find any info on what's happening this year.  I definately found it a help using High 5 gels in my training runs, if only to get my stomach used to them!  Not exactly yummy, but they're a lot less like the 'wallpaper paste' consistancy of some I've had! image

All the 'Spar' shop employees on route dressed up as SPARTANS, shouting, banging drums & blowing whistles - absolutely brilliant! A wonderful incentive - just when things were getting tough. Also have vague recollections of a full Steel Drum Band at the Half Marathon banner - just as you look at your watch & think 'how on earth am I going to do all that again'

Happy running! image - 12 weeks & we'll be on the Guinness!

• Sorry - make that 14 weeks (getting carried away) & I haven't been on the Guinness already!! image

x

• Afternoon all - I had to pull out of our HM in 3 weeks - that pulled hamstring is slowly getting better but hubby has a calf strain that isn't and the fact that the race is nearly 300 miles away sort of means that we don't want to put so much money in and have to do it half assed.

Ah well - we'll see how it goes.

Going to try and do a run tomorrow to see how it goes.

• All.. I am doing Dublin as well this year. Have done few marathons in Ireland before; Connemarathon & Dingle being the favourites, so looking forward for the little flatter route in Dublin.

Taking also part in the race series before the actual event. Great way to see where you're at in your training.

Good luck to all!!!

• Thanks for the info re energy sources on the route...I'd prefer not to carry anything with me if possible. 

Dub Runner - I see there is a dublin HM a few weeks before, do you know whether it shares any of the marathon route?

• JLB - the hm is fully in Phoenix Park, the full marathon goes through Phoenix park but route is slightly different if I remember correctly. All the routes for the race series are in the dublin marathon website. I've done the half couple of times, it's quite good, it does couple of rounds of the park and has nice hills (not too long). Good organisation as well. Can get bit crowded but It usually spreads out quick enough.
  • I might nip down from Belfast and give the HM a try, would be good to scout out the last 6 miles or so of the marathon route if I can get a chance.

• So what are your schedules for this week?

Mine is 3,4,3,7.

• 3,5,3 & 10 for me.

Last nights 3 was pretty warm & the dinky flies were out in force.  Stuck quite nicely to the sweat streaming down my face - not a good look! image  Got chased by an excited dog who emerged from a river, soaking wet & very bouncy (dog - not me). Really didn't have time to play with him!

Plucking up courage to join the local running club tomorrow night. Fancy I'm getting a bit 'one paced' & thought a variety of hills & speedwork would help.