Dublin 2012

Comments

• 8, Rest, 6, 10, 6, 6 then Springsteen in the evening, with a 15 miles to finish the week.

• 3 miles this evening, toe bleeding.

• Hi All

Just came across this thread - I'm also doing Dublin this year, so may hang around and pick people's brains if you don't mind. This will be my 5th marathon and looking for a PB.

Is it as flat as I hope it is??

This weeks training started with a HM and will finish with the Adidas Thunder Run! Just hope I survive!!

• after a day's rest following my 20-miler, i did a comfortable 9-miler at hoped-for mp earlier...

legs felt good...no twinges...

charlie speddings caterpillar, what time of time are you aiming for off that weekly input? 

yeah, rafiki, it is flat except for an uphill blip in the latter stages...if winds are slack & the skies are dry, i regard it as a pb accommodating course...i ran it  in '09 & '10 & liked it...but i'm no expert...

• adog woof - Hoping to come in under 3.10 but its still the great unknown after 20 miles so who knows. If I achieve the time it will be a new pb with 90 mins. Over the last 5 years I have been focusing on halfs but now feel like I am ready to give the full distance another crack.

• I did a broken up 11.5 miles on Monday with some circuits in the middle, speedwork tonight, 10 miles or so inc Tempo pace Parkrun on Sat planned and 13 mile LSR on Sunday...

• charlie s c - We're both aiming for a similar target. I too am hoping to come in just under 3.10. 

• I'm @ week 3 here:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/racing/rws-garmin-ready-marathon-schedule-sub-430/2767.html

10M will be a tough one as I haven't run such distance for about 1 year and it is arout +34C with hight humidity here.. 

• 4 miles. Round and round the garden in a convoluted figure of eight. Our boreen is impassable by foot with deep puddles the length of it.

• 3 miles - same trip round and round the garden! but shorter obviously. image

• 7 miles - am I going to Dublin on my own?

• You must have a very big garden?! Had to google 'boreen' to find out what it was image.

Managed all planned runs this week but the Olympics seem to be getting in the way!!

LSR of 10mile today along a lovely disused railway line - nice & shady, tide in up the estuary and things not so tough as they have been - yippee!

'Stepback'  this next week, so 3,5,3 & LSR of 7.  As my hero Hal Higson says ' training programme will be one third complete at the end of this week'. Makes Dublin seem close.

Good luck to all - & happy running! image

• Well I can fit a .47 mile loop in it - we live on a farm so we do have space.

• 32 miles last week, but a back issue that has been bothering me on and off for the last 9 months has reared it's ugly head.  Might have to cut back a little this week.

• only 20 miles in total for me for all of last week after two consecutive weeks of 40miles each - ouch...

but struck back today with a 17.5-miler which went reasonably okay given that it was hilly, clammy & windy...

prob venture out tomorrow for a 'recovery' 5 depending on how the legs feel...

iainment, yeah, a private running course like yours would be handy! image

• 3 miles - missed 2 days this week.

• The biggest hill is just after you come out  of Phoenix Park and into Chapelizoid after about 7 or 8 miles, it lasts about 600 metres and is a steady drag, there is a hill at the UCD flyover at 21 miles but it only a little one and you are on the way back to the city centre then, Bewleys Hotel at Ballsbridge is well place and usually good value, The Mont Clare is more expensive but is just about on the start line. This will be my 3rd Dublin and 5th overall - I'm using the Marathon Guru program which is free at http://www.marathonguru.com.au/training/dublin - I have used Hal Higdon in the past but I like the variation with this as it has me doing 1km and 400m reps for improving speed as well as long runs (20k on Sunday and 11km on Wednesday with a couple of 8's in as well) it's a 6 day program with Monday to recover - I'm currently 16 stone and 52 and I'm going for 4:00 (hope to be 14 1/2 by the start

• A   monaghetti fartlek today, rest day yesterday, 20 Km last Sunday, 13 km tomorrown fun, fun, fun image

• Got my Hotel booked, going to stay for a few days.  Just 20 miles last week as I had a sore back, but should be back up to 30+ this week.  Track tonight.

• @Rahiki - personally i'd be more worried about the weather than the hills.. if it happens to be a windy & rains buckets i.e. normal October day in Dublin, not sure how many PBs are broken..

I'm only starting my training next week after injuries, holidays, sportive cycling etc.. so hoping to do 3 (max 4) days a week.. 1 speed work, 1 longer tempo & 1 Long Slow .. starting on Tuesday after 100K cycle through Kildare on Sunday. Let's see how this running thing works..

JLB - did you get a nice hotel?

• Dub Runner - This is my first Marathon, so as long as I finish, it's a PB!  Booked into the Maldron Hotel, looks nice enough.  Fancied having access to a pool, sauna etc.  Also, bringing the wife so couldn't slum it.

• 40 miles total last week, going to scrap my midweek runs this week as I have a calf niggle, must at least make it to the start line!

• I must say - it's been a bit of a struggle getting all the runs fitted in around 'Olympic Viewing' !  Still - all up to date & non missed (said with a very smug grin)! image

Can't think the training was this hard, last time round.  Perhaps selective memory only chooses to remember the good bits.

Very hot 12 miles yesterday on our wonderful Devon undulations, with a 3,5,3 & 13 planned for this week.

11 weeks today folks & we'll feel like we've all won gold medals - yippee! image

• This weeks session from Marathon Guru for me Tuesday
    14th August 2 x 2km Repetitions with 4min recovery Warm with 5- 10 min easy jog. 3-4 stride throughs and 10 mins Stretching. When doing the repetitions try to keep them all even. Then after the session 10 min Jog and 11 mins Stretching Wednesday
    15th August 13km Long Run Followed By 10-15min stretching. Concentrate on positive running thoughts during this run. Thursday
    16th August 8 km easy run Followed By 10-15min stretching. Concentrate on positive running thoughts during this run. Friday
    17th August 6km Race Pace (Tempo Run) Warm with 5- 10 min easy jog. 3-4 stride throughs and 10 mins Stretching.With Race Pace this will be a true reflection of you ability to hold the pace of your current estimated time. As such try to run even KM splits at the time suggested. Then after the session 10 min Jog and 11 mins Stretching Saturday
    18th August 8 km easy run Followed By 10-15min stretching. Concentrate on positive running thoughts during this run. Sunday
    19th August 24 km easy
  • Very quiet here?!

Aiming for a LSR of 13miles this afternoon - lovely drizzle falling which should make things a bit easier.

Hope training's going well for everyone! image

• WarrenDWarrenD ✭✭✭

Thinking about tackling this one again. I ran it 3 times before (its local!), last time in 2006. I've only got back into running this year after a couple of years off...work and chasing kids got in the way there for a while.

Best time 3:07. If I got in under 3:10 I'd be happy.

• I've started the training now for real.. so far managed to do on Sunday 16K so bit behind most of you.

Warren_D - there's the 10M race series in Phoenix Park on Sunday

Jim Holmes - that's some training calendar you have there! 6 times per week.. have you done these Marathon Guru training plans before? Are your legs not shattered? I am running max 3 times a week plus some cross training & core.

So this week, interval training done last night, 10 min warm up, 1200m, 1000m, 800m, 600m, 400m & 200m with 200m rest interval, 10 min cool down. Thursday 11k of which the middle 5k is at race pace +30 sec and sunday will be 17K slow run.

Hopefully in the end will have about 4 hr marathon.. and then will continue training for Two Oceans ultra in SA.

• Sunday 24 Km Slow Run

Monday Rest

Tuesday 5 x 1 Km Reps with 2 minute walk (1km warm up 1Km warm down)

Wed 16 Km Slow Run

Thursday 10 Km Slow Run

Friday 8 x 400 with 200m jog between each lap (1km warm up 1Km warm down)

Saturday 10 Km Slow Run

Sunday 28 Km Slow run

I'm going for 4 Hours this year I failed last year 4:28 after a 2 Hour 1/2

First time I've used Marathon Guru but I did do a 6 day program before - got injured last year doing 1/2 marathon races pushing too hard