Dublin 2012

Comments

• 18 miles done, average pace 9:08, pretty happy with that, although I did experience plenty of aches and pains during the run, not to mention mental demons. My knee in particular felt like under pressure, I think I'll take it easy until Wednesday at least.
  • Sounds like things are going well JLB3, i had a planned 20 miles this morning but ended up doing 22 miles as i felt good at the 20 mark. Time taken was 3hrs 1 min.

My only other marathon in april this year i finished in 3 hrs 49mins 15 sec...so i now have a time to beat and am feeling good about doing that...BUT there is a long way to go and plenty more miles to run before just getting to the start line!!! image

• Easy paced 10 miles for me today as I am in the final week of tapering for Berlin. This time next week I'm likely to be very sore and a little intoxicated on German beer. image

• Your flying Dave, I couldnt possibly have taken another step yesterday morning. I'd guess your PB is in mortal danger based on that training run, sub 3:30 a possibility? Don't over do it and stay healthy!

Good luck at Berlin K_W, I can't wait for taper time for Dublin.
  • Does anyone know whether there are showers at the finish of Dublin. I'm getting kicked out of the hotel early and don't fancy paying €22 per hour for an extended check out! image

• Nope, there are no showers available for runners at the finish line. Late check out is the ideal solution but you'd have to pay for it obviously. Other option might be to look at public swimming pool opening times and use their facilities. The only one I know of in town the Markievicz on Townsend Street. If all else fails, baby wipes!

• Cheers Linda. I think I can get away with checking out at 1pm without charge. Will just have to run a bit faster. 

• What hotel are you staying in? Close to the finishing line?

• I'm staying int he Westin, I think it is pretty close to start/finish. I might just stop being tight and stump up.

IS the weather we are having now typical of race day?

• Sure that's perfect, only a 10 min hobble from the finish line to there. Would be 5 mins any other day of course! It will be worth the money as you'll feel a million dollars after an ice bath, shower and change of clothes. 

• I'm staying through to Tuesday, so it's not a problem for me.  My main problem is working out what sober people do in Dublin, as I am arriving on Saturday.image 

• Good training runs being logged here. 22miles in just over 3 hours is impressive work Dave. After building up to 20 miles by mid September last year I think I peaked too soon.This year I've been building up slower 15/12/16/18 have been my last 3 weekends runs with a 20 miler to come next weekend.  Logged my 18 miles in 2:40 which was bang on target. Aiming to run at 8min pace and I've been holding this pace comfortably in my "shorter" 8-10 mile midweek runs. 

Anyone else have trouble motivating themselves in the first couple of miles of a 5 or 6 miler though?It seems to take me until miles 4 or 5 to warm up and then by then it's time to head home!

• Cheers will, I know exactly what you mean about the first few miles, although I don't know if it is motivation. I seem to spend the first 3-4 miles thinking about my breathing/running style, etc and then after first few miles go into auto-pilot and everything seems easier!!

My aim for dublin is to go at same 8 min/mile pace to try and get as near to 3hrs 30 as possible.

Quick question for those with more experience than myself, re.pace/pacers:-

If my time that I am aiming for is 3:30 do I-

A) start just behind the 3:30 pacer and then towards the end overtake if I have something in reserve to allow this, or

B) start in front of 3:30 pacer and then make sure they don't overtake??
  • Or stay with them? Some people will stick to a pacer like glue and run with them. be easier that chasing or being chased?

• Maybe I'll use you as a pacer Dave rather than the races ones! I noticed last year it got a bit crowded around the pacers but also there seemed to be good banter amongst the folk in the group so that could be a great motivator.

I think my plan of action is to start just around the pacers, maybe just behind. If I am feeling good towards the latter stages I might kick on past but I doubt that will happen! I think it would be hard to stay ahead and still manage to use them to your benefit. You don't really want to be looking behind you too often as that will put you off your stride, well it would me anyway.

• I used the pacers in Amsterdam in 2010.  I was aiming for sub 3-30. I was two miles into the run when I first came accross them. I was ahead of pace at tha time so they were well ahead. I stuck with them to the first water station where they stopped and walked through as the drinks were served in paper cups. 

I ran on but realised that that is why they were running slightly fast. I then managed to keep ahead of them for the rest of the race.

At the GNR I was aiming for sub 1:30 nearer 1:25-26. After 5 miles I came across the sub 1:30 pacer. He was well ahead at 1:26 pace having left his pacing partner behind.

So the moral of the story is that pacers can be really useful if they are running at the correct pace and you are comfortable with it but don't panic or let it spoil your run if they don't suit your particular pace.

• Thanks for advice folks, I know what you mean about it being crowded round the pacers...so tempted to be slightly ahead and not worry about looking behind. I am by no means perfect, but once I get my pace I can keep it fairly constant (my 22 mile long run at the weekend every mile was between 8:06 and 8:10).

Also I know there will be a different forum for this, but got acceptance for london marathon next year, so that will give tonights training a bit of extra power....I'm delighted!!
  • Seemed to have some problems with the site last week - I couldn't post and no one could tell me why - anyway I am back now

I completed last weeks schedule except for Friday as I was picking some one up from the airport but I put an extra 7 Km in at the Weekend (27Km Sat/17Km Sunday) and  3 K extra on the Midweek LSR (19Km) and I also managed a 52 minute 10Km on the Thursday. This week I had a rest day Monday, 16Km in 1:35 Tuesday, missed Wednesday due to work but did a double session today, 10K this morning in 58Min and 5  x 1 Km in 5:03/4:48/4:49/4:48/4:51 with 2 minute walk in between and 1K warm up/1K warm down, Tomorrow it is 6K at Race Pace but I may go quicker and try for as close to 30 Min as I can - Saturday is 10Km and Sunday is supposed to be 24 but I am going for more as I want 1 more LSR before I taper

• 29:41 for 6Km with the last two at 4:49 each today so happy with that image my program has me tapering a bit early for my liking so I am going to try and get a 20 miler in this weekend though I am only down for 24 Km. Marathon Guru has me at 3:54 but without any races in I am a bit wary of going outt too quick so I will try and start just behind the 4:00 pacers and try to get halfway in around 1:58 and see how I feel from there. Last year I got halfway in 2:00 then  died after 14 mile and struggled finishing in 4:28

• Planned 20 tomorrow, but got carried away at Parkrun this morning with a 50 second PB. Might downgrade long run, and just do 20 next week. Then taper yay!
  • 14 miles at race pace of 8"00 per mile today. Was really pleased as to be honest the legs are starting to feel the weeks of heavy mileage and I wasn't sure if I would be able to keep that pace up at this point of training. The winds have been a killer the past few weeks but it's all part of the training I guess.

Like JLB I cannot wait for next weekend when the taper can officially begin. I took the taper too easy last year so I won't make that mistake this year.

• Managed 30Km - Reasonably happy with that - Legs were a bit tired but this is my 5th 50 mile week - The taper starts now

• If you are registering that day why not watch the game at the RDS

Leinster Rugby v Cardiff Blues 27th October 2012 18:30 Royal Dublin Society RaboDirect PRO12
  • Suffering some serious DOMS today after Berlin yesterday. I guess tomorrow could be even worse. Still ther's 28 days left to recover. image

• How did you go KW?

I've lost motivation this past week, haven't done anything over 5 miles!  Going to have to force a 20 miler in midweek.

• Hi all, starting to get excited about Dublin now, love this marathon and its been to long since I last did it! It's my better half 1st marathon and its hard trying to keep her calm. I think she's more excited about the Irish dancing after tho to be honest.

Looks like your all going well in training, soon be taper time, I did Bristol half Sunday and I'm undecided weather to race another half this week or do a long run, did 2 marathons in a week 3 wks ago so I don't think endurance will go but the race pace may benefit me more. Dilemma! Most I've done in last 3 wks is 16.
  • I had a cracker thanks JLB 3:04. New PB made all the better byt he fact that I was knackered having had to walk on 4 occassions. Just going to run Dublin for fun though. Running marathons fast just hurt. image

• K warrior, great run considering u had to walk, you maybe surprised if you went for it in Dublin.

It's never the distance that hurts but the speed you do the distance that does! But it gets it over with faster and the Guinness is awaiting in Dublin! image
  • The distance hurts at any speed I reckon!

Anyway it's getting towards the end of the most gruelling week of training for most.How is everyone feeling? I'm just back from a 10 miler tonight, so thats 20 miles this week so far, 2 gym sessions iin addtion to that and just the 20 miler left to come on Saturday. Still feeling pretty good and life left in the legs although they will thank me greatly for tomorrows rest day. I've remained injury free throught this whole training block and if I can come out of Saturdays 20 miler injury free there's no excuse for me not to get the 3h30 target,