Dublin 2012

Comments

• RedjeepRedjeep ✭✭✭
    Jim Holmes 3 wrote (see)
    Clonakilty Waterfront Marathon 2 Back Where is the race organized? Country      Ireland            Munster   CityClonakilty West Cork When is the race organized? Date        Saturday December  8, 2012

Thanks Jim.

I hadn't seen that one on Run Ireland, and had been looking everywhere in Ireland and the UK for something before Christmas. The only one I could find was the Eddy Murphy in Sixmilebridge, but I'm in Wales that weekend.

You've really helped lift my mood this morning image, for which my family are truely grateful.

Consider it booked !

• Unbelievable folks. I came in at 3.25:42. Beyond my wildest dreams. I managed to run a negative split somehow. The race couldn't have gone any better for me.I look forward to reading of other success stories.
  • What an amazing race this is! The course is great, and the crowd support is incredible. I loved the miles through Phoenix Park, the beginning and ending in central Dublin were also excellent. Came home in 3hrs 18mins 43secs - a PB of 17 minutes! I'm absolutely delighted! The final 6 miles were so tough though! An incredible race for which I'll certainly come back. I'd recommend this race to anyone. The organisation was first rate too. Top marks all round!
  • Well done will and steve...I can keep the good day feeling going. Fantastic race, fantastic crowd,fantastic city of dublin. PB time of 3:16 for me, 33 minutes better than my first marathon...the training regime has definitely paid off...makes it all worthwhile.

A rest now, and then start the road to london 2013.
  • 30 Minutes off my PB and a Sub 4 to boot - Delighted - Training went really well this year 3:58:27 - started to struggle from 20-25 and I started to drift from my sub-9 Minute mile pace - I reached 20 Mile in 2:59. My tactics of starting behind the 4:00 pacers and then slowly overtaking them worked - at 25 miles I heard someone say they were right behind me so I kicked on and did not let them pass so I knew I was a good minute inside 4 hours -Bit of a sore hip but no pain no gain imageimageimage

• Well done Jim. Great achievement and must make all the training worth while.

I did Berlin last month so Dublin for me was just for fun. What fun it was. It was a delight to run around putting no time pressure on myself. Great course, lovely variations, fantastic support from an enthusiastic crowd, warm well-dones from people in the city centre and the pubs afterwards. The race is a credit to the city.

My run went well until cramp stopped me in my tracks at mile 25 and then the other thigh in mile 26, 200 yards from the finish. The crowd were willing me on and I had to smile because they had no clue about the tight knot of a thigh muscle I was having to deal with. Anyway when it decided to ease off I was able to start jogging again much to the delight of the crowd. I gave them a clap and the cheers in response were fantastic. Over the line in 3:12. Cramps cost me about 2 minutes. 

All in all it's a run that will live long in the memory. I am trying not to do repeat marathons but this one is very tempting to return to.

• Blimey guys some cracking runs and some massive PBs going on! Another one here!! image went for 2.49.59 got to half way in 84.10 and was thinking this could get tough if the wind kept up, battled on to a slight negative split and finished in 2.48.04 well chuffed and felt pretty Good all the way.

The Mrs did well to, 4.49 in her 1st marathon so all in all a great weekend. Really enjoyed it.
  • WarrenDWarrenD ✭✭✭

3.08.58 for me. Happy with time - targetted sub 3:10.

World of pain from mile 23, but enjoyed it overall.

• Keyboard_Worrier wrote (see)

Keyboard Warrior

"All in all it's a run that will live long in the memory. I am trying not to do repeat marathons but this one is very tempting to return to."

I don't know if you have done Barcelona yet but I seem to think you did and I met you there - I did Barcelona in 2011 - It is very well organised and this year it falls on St Patricks day - There is an excellent Irish Bar in Barcelona and about 200 Irish do the race so it will be a great night in there after the race

http://www.thegeorgepayne.com/

http://mt1.googleapis.com/vt/lyrs=m@195000000&hl=en&src=api&x=33163&s=&y=24476&z=16&s=Galil

• Memorable experience, unbelievable support, fantastic. I'm a little bit disappointed with my own time 4:28:45, Id had a tough last 5 or so health wise so I new running near my potential would be a tough ask, but didn't think wheels would come off as completely as it did on Heartbreak hill. My body decided just to stop running seemingly unbidden by my mind, then I couldn't get going again without cramping up. I was mostly walking for about 5k then the great support helped me get going again for the last 2 miles. Just going to have to do better next time.

Well done to everyone.
  • Sorry that you missed out redjeep, better to live to fight another day than spend ages on the treatment table. Spare a though for a runner starting directly in front of me, he stepped in a pothole and went down literally 10 metres past the start line, and from the sound of the crack I think his marathon ended right there. I hope it wasn't as bad as it sounded.
  • Yes  I saw a guy laid out who looked unconscious after about 3 miles with a Garda attending to him - I think he was a victim of the early race congestion - I think more waves are needed next year - there were too many bottlenecks yesterday and I had to tread water, skip. jump and do anything to avoid getting tripped or tripping someone else

• Congratulations everyone!  Mixed emotions for me - slightly disappointed to miss out on sub-4 (04:01:33) when it looked 'on' for so much of the race, but still managed to shave 7 minutes off my only previous marathon time.

Plus I'll echo the comments made in here about the crowd and atmosphere, just brilliant - now I know why Dublin is nicknamed the friendly marathon!

• Hi Jim yes I met you in Barca. That pub was great. That marathon was great too. Very tempted by Barca again but I'm doing London and will be attempting a sub 3 so a marathon the month before would not be good.

JLB I'm sorry for your struggles but I had to laugh when I saw that sign saying heartbreak hill. I've no idea what the real one is like but the Irish version was more of a hillock!

Jim someone I met in the pub recommended Cork as a good event. Have you done this one?
  • True KW, but even speed bumps were Heartbreak Hill from my perspective at that stage! Lol
  • Hi KW

I have never done Cork but I would guess it is a bit hillier - It has FAQ's on the website at http://www.corkcitymarathon.ie/therace/faq/ and the route map with elevation is at http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/17870236 but if you want a real challenge try the Clonakilty back-back marathons Feb 16/17 at http://www.clonakiltyback2backmarathons.com/

• Given the way my hamstrings are feeling today Jim, I think backk to back marathons are for the truly insane. image

• Cornish in a couple weeks guys? image
  • Lurking on this thread. Great PB Muzza. Do you know when the Taunton marathon entry will open?

Had a quick look at the Dartmoor discovery ultra website and video this morning. Lucky all full for 2013 and a 50 person waiting list ! Just as we'll image
  • Who knows when Dublin 2013 entry opens?!

• What a great event I loved it. 3:39:49 which is a few seconds slower than my PB. I managed to stay with the 3:30 pacers until somewhere around mile 18/20 mark but I've still got a long way to go to be able to maintain that pace for the full distance...bring on Paris 2013 and marathon number 3 image
  • Dylan man, thanks a lot! image still buzzin! not sure when Taunton opens but won't be long now, as for Dartmoor Discovery get ya name on the list! You never know, it's a awesome race!
  • Great race pb by 5 mins for me - loved it!
  • Some great stories and times on here. Glad everyones training and hard work has paid the deserved dividends. I'm now back in Scotland and a few days of partying in Dublin are sadly over. Time to go a bit further into detail on my race experience.

Preparations as you all know had gone really well so on Monday morning I was feeling really enthusiastic and confident. I had avoided caffeine for a week and then an hour before the race took a red bull shot having done a bit of research on this. Got down to the start and after a trip to the loo, took an energy gel and lined up in the first wave.

The aim had been for some time to run 3h30 and my training had been focussed around the 8 min mile pace. The plan was to run between 7:50 and 8:10 for the first few miles, getting to halfway feeling as if I hadn't expended much energy. The first mile was actually slower than intended (8:25) down to a combination of me trying to not get carried away on legs that felt really fresh and also due to it being pretty crowded and a few bottlenecks. I wasn't really concerned though as I knew there was plenty of time to make that time back. The next few miles were largely uneventful. Someone clipped my leg in Pheonix Park but it didn't knock me and it was them who stumbled slightly. That aside I just kept a really steady pace throughout.

Having started the race about 30 secs back from the 3h30 pacers I managed to kick past them about 12 miles. (although I did take one of them momentarily in the park when he stopped behind a tree for the toilet much to many of our amusement)I got to the half point a little ahead of target and feeling in great shape although aware that in a marathon things can change within a few strides. Nutrition wise I was taking on a gel every 30 mins and this seemed to be keeping the energy levels high. From mile 14 I actually started picking up the pace every so slightly and was able to continue this for the next few miles.

I kept expecting that rough patch to come but as I got through 20 miles it had still not come and I found I was in a really nice rythmn. I was enjoying running sections of the course that my mind had no recollection of from last year where I was so focussed on just putting one leh ahead of the other. The only semblance of a sticky spot came between miles 23 and 24. Mentally I knew the finish was nearby but we all know 3.2 miles of running a lot of time can be lost. I was a little bit late getting my last gel and was not going to take it but when I did I felt the benefit within 5 minutes and the last couple of miles I picked it up again.

I have to say that while the crowds are amazing and inspirational throughout, in this last couple of miles it really is astounding. I actually found myself choking up a little bit in the last mile and a half when I realised what I was about to achieve. Last year when I completed the race the feeling was more of relief and I don't think I fully appreciated what I had done. This year I was completed aware of the achievement and soaked up that last run towards the line, pumping by chest and throwing arms aloft as I crossed the line in a time of 3:25.42, a time I still find hard to comprehend!

What an amazing race, city and support. I made the most of high fiving kids on the way around. I found this a great motivator and it's the least we can do to give something back to the supporters who give so much to us. Towards the later stages I even ran a wide route round a corner to high five a little girl who had her hand optimistically place out awaiting reciprocation. I haven't decided what my plans are for running next year.Such is my rate of progression just now, my time this year was 34 mins quicker than last year, that I need to figure out where I go next. If an Autumn marathon is in

• the plans then I am 99% certain it will be Dublin again.

Anyway I have probably bored you all stiff now so I will just leave you with my Garmin splits. Hope everyone is recovering well

1 8:22.5 1.00 8:23 2 7:52.6 1.00 7:53 3 7:54.5 1.00 7:54 4 7:43.5 1.00 7:44 5 7:57.1 1.00 7:57 6 7:49.0 1.00 7:49 7 7:46.6 1.00 7:47 8 7:43.7 1.00 7:44 9 7:54.5 1.00 7:55 10 7:50.5 1.00 7:51 11 7:44.1 1.00 7:44 12 7:56.5 1.00 7:57 13 7:55.0 1.00 7:55 14 7:40.2 1.00 7:40 15 7:39.4 1.00 7:39 16 7:44.3 1.00 7:44 17 7:38.1 1.00 7:38 18 7:28.2 1.00 7:28 19 7:30.6 1.00 7:31 20 7:46.1 1.00 7:46 21 7:53.6 1.00 7:54 22 7:30.2 1.00 7:30 23 7:41.3 1.00 7:41 24 8:01.3 1.00 8:01 25 7:57.9 1.00 7:58 26 7:55.3 1.00 7:55 27 3:01.6 0.37 8:10
  • Will.....i must have been right beside you at the start, i too was 30 secs behind the 3:30 pacers and i think i overtook them about mile 5 or 6?!?? The night before i decided against using the pacers and just using the Virtual Partner on my Garmin. I set it for 7:58 mile pace and knew that i had to stay ahead of it to beat 3hrs 30.....

Tell me Will if you are getting the same reaction..When i am telling people i did it in 3:16:00 everyone, without fail, says 'oh..is it an easy course??    ...AAAaaagghhh...not oh your training must have paid off...not, oh your fitness must have really improved??!!!!!! I  must add most of these people are overweight and not runners, but it does knock you down a peg or two...LOLimage

• Wait till they start saying to you were you trying for 3 hours! Such people generally have no idea of the level of training and commitment that it takes for the average runner to get to this level never mind what it takes for the average 40 year old, fightiing his beer belly to achieve such times.

It's your achievement don't let anyone dampen it. Bloody well done.

• Bloody tell me about it! I did 3.35 for my 1st marathon at 17 stone, I had already lost 5 stone then, it's took another 5 and a half stone 77 marathons and a lot of graft to get my 2.48.04 I can tell ya! All worth it tho!
  • Wow Muzza, that's fantastic impprovement. You must feel absolutely great.

• I just did my sub -4 at 15 Stone (5th Marathon) - It has me thinking that I will only significantly improve by dropping another 2 stone at least  (5'10") - So at least I have a new target now image