Options

Outlaw 2012 race reports

Comments

• Options
    Fab report Holly. I'm not sure my race deserves a report yet, but maybe when I decide I'll ever want to get on my bike again I'll think about it lol.
  • Options
    M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

I've had to really push myself to write this race report, for some reason I've just not felt like writing one.

After Copenhagen last year, I already knew I wanted to do Outlaw this year and I was chuffed to bits that Meldy thought it seemed like a good idea too and then the pirate massive got behind us and it became the pirate champs for 2012.

Training for Outlaw proved to be worse than training for Copenhagen.  I was even busier with work this year, the weather was rubbish and I found I hated running.  There were many, many sessions that I forced myself to do, joylessly and more that I just didn't do at all.  I also got fat again, and miserable with it.  Not the best prep.  About a month before the race I took myself in hand and managed to lose 1/2 stone pre-race but it wasn't really enough and I knew this was going to be hard work.  Furthermore, everything seemed to have got worse.  I love swimming (unlike the rest of the world) and yet, despite my best efforts, this didn'tseem to be getting any better at all.  The Psych Wing were very supportive and pointed out to me that my training was more consistent than I was giving myself credit for but I felt that I was going into Outlaw racing more on experience than training.  However, although the previous sentence sounds very negative, I was fine by race day and I had worked out what I would find acceptable time wise, given the challenges work had presented in the previous 6 months.  Oh, and that also doesn't take into account that my bike was faulty and a warranty claim that turned into a nightmare meant that I did all my training on my old bike and my bike was only replaced the day before I left for Nottingham.  As you can imagine, this made me very, very stressed.

Flyaway asked me if I wanted to go up to Nottingham with her on Thursday instead of Friday as I had planned and I think this did me a lot of good. I'm not sure if her intention was to take me away from everything that was upsetting me workwise but if it was, then it worked and I am very grateful for that extra day.  We went and registered on Friday and ****this part of the reported has been hidden for confidentiality reasons**** which amused us and Waffy no end.  After this, we caught up with Meldy, Jj and a few other pirates before heading back to the hotel to chill out.  Pre-race I think this has been the most chilled and relaxing I've had, which was fab (that's not to say I got much sleep but I did relax well.)  Meldy arrived back at the hotel and we had fun faffing together.  It turns out I have spares of nothing and she had spares of everything I forgot.  Oarsum!  Saturday we went bakc to the venue and racked without incident, caught up with a few folks and went back for more relaxation.

I think this is the worst I've ever slept the night before the race but never mind.  I wrote a list of things I had to do on race morning before I left, so when the alarm went off at 4am.  The alarm very nearly didn't go off at all by the way, the last conversation Meldy and I had before we went to bed consisted of

Meldy:  What time have you set your alarm for?
    Mouse:  oh, alarm, hadn't thought of that, dunno what time have you set yours for?
    Meldy:  I haven't set one.
    Much giggling ensued as we imagined us both waking up at about 10ish the next day.

So anyway, we got up, organised ourselves, went to venue etc etc etc.

• Options
    M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Swim
    Balls this up completely.  Could not figure out what pen to start in and went for the back of pen 2. Big mistake, huge!  I've no idea where the best place to start is but it clearly bears little relevance to your swim time.  I had no space to swim in, couldn't get a stroke and I'm to 'nice' to just swim over people.  So it took AGES to get started.  Breathing was a pain, with the sun in your eyes (Note for future Outlaws, get tinted goggles) but there's really no need to sight, you just need to swim parallel to the bank.  You are also assisted by the rowing distance markers.  After the turn, I was fortunate enough to get a draft which I was happy with as never drafted well before.  I thought I had a great swim but my time was slower than I wanted.

Swim - wanted 1.17, got 1.23

T1 - uneventful and not too bad time - 7 mins. Future objective, find some trishorts that are comfy to save getting changed.

Bike
    Despite the weather conditions, I nailed that bike course.  It was 20 mins faster than any other IM bike course I've done. I know it's flat but the wind really makes up for the lack of hills so I'm taking that PB thank you very much.  I spent more time on the bars than I ever have and, nutritionally, did better than I have done before.  Nutrition is a bit funny really because I completely changed my strategy mid race and ignored all my own food.  I normally have quite a lot of solid food for the early section but I just didn't want it this year.  I started with a bottle of High 5 and then I alternated High 5 and water with 2 gels per hour and some PB sandwiches and nuts for salt. I think my only regret food wise is that I think I do need the salt tabs, what I had wasn't enough.  The bike course was fine, apart from some wanker who tried to take me out on the BMX ramp causing me to stop (nearly fell off) and making the two blokes behind me stop as well. Fortunately the two blokes behind saw him cut me up and joined me in shouting abuse at him.  I'm sure those 30s made all the difference to his race.  Aaanyway.  There was some support on the bike, esp at Cold somethingorother.  The bike feedstation was every bit as great as I thought it would be, shortly through going through the first time, the bike course got a bit smoky as I thought of how great the pirates are.  As I was coming to the end, I was a bit fed up with 3 x COLT female riders who had very obviously ridden the whole thing together and drafted each other.  I just found that quite disappointing really.  Meldy also commented on this when we were chatting post race. 

The only thing with saying I nailed the bike course was that I found later I had nothing much left for the run.  I think I pushed too hard against the wind and it did me no good at all.

Bike - I think it was 7.17ish.

T2 - about 7 mins again, but again, another change of shorts.

• Options
    M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Run
    Hmmm interesting.  The change in nutrition strategy on the bike, I think, left me in better shape than previous IMs and this gave me problems on the run.  I am now used to coming in and taking my bottle of coke, going out into a run/walk, taking a salt tab per hour, needing an emergency toilet break during lap one and continuing run/walk.  So, this year, this didn't happen.  Firstly, the coke just seemed to take me over an edge and my blood sugar levels were doing weird things.  My emergency toilet break did not materialise, althoug I was peeing like a race horse and I felt bloated.  Lap 1 started badly, I picked up a bit for a lap doing the run/walk and then it all went wrong.  I'd been doing my coke/water/salt tab with a couple of crips at each aid station but I just felt terrible, absolutely awful.  My brain and my body just didn't seem to want to interface properly.  So, I spend at least a lap walking, giving myself a bit of a talking to and deciding what to do next.  I went and 'forced' my usual emergency toilet break, which made me feel a bit better.  Then I decided to change nutrition strategy. I took myself back off the coke, changed to caffeine gels at 1 every 30 mins, with water and no crisps. I felt I needed to be more basic and more precise with what I was doing. Soonafter I was able to return to run/walk.  I felt that 2 x gels per hour were too much so I took that back to 1 every 40 mins and this saw me through to the end.  Aside from that, it was great to see the pirates out on the course, I Go Pirated a bit but ran out of voice so I resorted to a thumbs up, nod/smile or a few words as appropriate. I have to agree a bit with Holly though, there are some very grumpy pirates out there who just blank you.  What's that about?  On the upside, I want to find out who the male pirate was who did the peace sign as his greeting?  Who are you mate? That was a fab gesture and made me smile every lap.  Other notable hellos included the pirate twitter fraternity (Meldy, Holly, Ditchy, Hope, , Flyers, Melli, FlatFooted).  Thank yous also to the pirate supporters, out on the course, I can remember seeing the Major, HH, Mrs Symes, Aitch, Wifey, BtS, Jj, Madge, Cake and Booky to name but a few, all on top form with shouts, hugs and kisses. Plus Rio, The Bitch and Mrs F who supported and took photos in rotation.  It was great out there. Once I got my act together I realised that I could still hit one of my objectives (I always have gold, siliver and bronze, what do you do?) and so I did my best to romp home.  One thing I've not done at any previous event was to have fun in the finish chute (due to timing and bad weather) so I had the best finish every, blowing kisses to the pirates and lapping it all up.  I tell you what, there's a benefit to being a back of the packer, the crowd cheering were a-may-zing.

Cake made me laugh with his huge tray of donuts and slightly dodgy 'outside assistance madam' comment.  Madge was particular sweet when I was on my bad lap and asked if she could do anything to help.  I think my first thought was 'shoot me'. I can also remember hollering 'come on you Slaaaaaag' (fortunately at Slag, or it could have been rather embarrassing but the bloke next to him seemed somewhat confused!)
    Run - 6.30ish
    Overall - 15.28

I have to say, I'm quite happy with that.  Very happy in fact.  My race went well. It was the best bike split I've ever had.  I was delighted that despite feeling awful on the run I was able to reel it back in and get back running. I'm really very satisfied with the experience and I'm also very happy with my time given suboptimal training this year. 

Also, a first for me, I got to shower and go outside for the pirate party and e

• Options
    M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Also, a first for me, I got to shower and go outside for the pirate party and even cheer a few people in.  It's such a great atmosphere, isn't it?

What next?
    I plan very much in advance for these races and had been saying for some months that 2013 was to be a year off.  I am tired, I have been overdoing it and I need a rest.  I was a bit upset about Lanza 2013 and so I decided I might give it another go but I was going to decide this based on Outlaw. Part way around Outlaw I decided that my first thought is the right one.  I need a rest, not another IM on a very challenging course.  I've had a fantastic three years but I've taken on too much elsewhere and feel a bit burnt out.  2013 is defintately going to be a year to rest and regroup.  I'd be lying if I said I'm not very jealous of the Lanza 2013 and desparately want to go, reading the thread is awful but I also know I have to stick to my guns and not go with the crowd on this one.  I know me best.

So, it just leaves me to say thank you.  I think my first thank you has to go to Schmunks who has a hell of a job organising that feed station.  Your hard work pays off and how excellent it is really is a testament to you.  Thank you for doing this for us Schmunks.  Secondly I'd like to thank my roomie, Meldy, for her patience and top notch company with a special mention to Flyers who hosted me on Thursday night and kept me calm when I was losing my marbles in the week leading up to the race.  Beyond that, I'd like to thank all the folks on Twitter and the Wing with whom I love sharing the trials and tribulations of training and life.  I'm proud to be a pirate and proud to count you as my friends.

• Options
    M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Argh, just reading that through it cuts and pastes almost as badly from notepad (half the paragraphs are missing) and I've not proofread very well.  Sozzicles!

Upset about Lanza as in I really want to do that one - to clarify.

• Options
    I feel like I am reliving last Sunday morning in real time! Fantastic reports and I agree completely with those that say bigger is better!
  • Options
    Great reports everyone , it was nice reading about the sharper end of the field Funkin
  • Options

Good reports. 

Holly - your second piece of tablet is waiting here for you to come and collect it.

• Options
    I am missing the physical pain and mental fight of last week. looks like I'll have to line up my second triathlon asap. Shortfatbald: Outlaw Ironman 2012: http://shortfatbaldsid.blogspot.com/2012/07/outlaw-ironman-2012.html
  • Options
    Good stuff engineer. i was right behind you. . . . .well 6hrs behind! I can't let it go. bloody loved it.
  • Options
    Great report Engineer; i was thinking it was about time you took the 'slow' out of your name!image
  • Options
    TheEngineer wrote (see)

http://dreamingofthedesert.wordpress.com/2012/07/08/outlaw-2012/ image

Nice report.  I saw that Go Pirate Dan sign on the bike.  So it was for you.  Love it!

• Options

Mouse

and I'm to 'nice' to just swim over people

Loved that!

• Options
    TheEngineer wrote (see)

http://dreamingofthedesert.wordpress.com/2012/07/08/outlaw-2012/ image

Great read mate... great racing!! Don't even mind that I had to buy you a bottle of Whisky for losing the bet... definitely well deserved

• Options

Is there a maximum length for a report? I think I might break RW when I post mine! image

• Options

You're not allowed to break the word limit - you didn't even finish the damn thing!! image

• Options
    Holly_Golightly wrote (see)

You're not allowed to break the word limit - you didn't even finish the damn thing!! image

Think of all the people GB might need to thank? Question is how much of the report is about the triathlon vs. NHS and medical tents? Could it be made into a movie perhaps?

Nice report BTW Holly, a very enjoyable read and what a fantastic time!

• Options

PSOF... The movie.

Someone should tell Candy about that idea image

• Options

I still haven't come down from my high, Gas. I'm stretching out the celebratory meals out too.  Still not had champagne though...Hmmmmm.

• Options

We can have that on friday   image

• Options
    M...eldy wrote (see)

We can have that on friday   image

oh dear.... M...elds is drinking RUN!

• Options

Saturday pre/post swim image I've a bottle sitting here that I don't deserve!

• Options

Erm - I am backing out of the swim..... I have decided to be sensible and avoid getting ill when I've just started a new job!  I will come and scream abuse at you in your speedos though. image

• Options

And you don't need to deserve champagne.... just drink it.

• Options
    Oooh, will there be men in speedos on Saturday?

Hubba hubba image
  • Options

why haven't i been invited if there are men in speedosimage

• Options

"men in speedos"

Think less man and more Mr Bean if he was still in his teens

• Options
    M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Melds, are you a dot short?