On-Line running clubs

I have a feeling that this has been asked before so I am sorry to re-hash an old thread.

But are there any on-Line running clubs that offer the same type of benefit as 'proper' clubs - i.e reduced race entry fees.

Having started again from the beginning after a 12 year break I am running again and starting to do a few races - I know the obvious thing would be to join a real club but due to family comitments would never be able to take any  part of club life so would be in no way be any form of asset to them and pointless.

Any ideas please?

Comments

• No sorry. Roadrunners club. ??12.50 a year to join. At 2-3 pounds a race saved on entry fees you will soon make your money back.
  • Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Thank you will have a look.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

There's no reason why you can't join a "real" club. You don't have to get involved in club life and many people don't. Just pay your subs, wear the shirt and use the race discount. The club gets your money, you don't use its resources but have the option to if you wish, both sides win.

As for virtual clubs, I've heard good things about Purple Patch and Fetcheveryone.

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Thanks Muttley - I was a very active member of a running club in a different area to wear I live now for 15 years I have thought about re-joining them which I suppose in many ways would be the equivalent of an on-line club!! Plus the advantage of still having a Vest which I could wear if I ever get to lose about 2 stone!!!

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Also with a real club you might get exposure to races you wouldn't otherwise know about, e.g. if they're affiliated to the local cross-country league. I'm sure they'd be happy for you to turn up and score points for them.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

In my case they'd be happy to pay me not to turn up and drag them down the table image

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

In my case they would prefer it if I marshalled for them and left the running to those who are going to finish within the cut off

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Grendel, for years i was simply a member of my local club, i'd turn up in the week, and do loads of races for them.

Then i started training differently, more precisely, so moved away from regular club attendance. As this conincided with frustration that we came so low in the local XC league, i joined a club 40miles away as 1st claim, simply for XC purposes.

I'm 2nd claim for the local lot now, and still run in their colours for local stuff.

get a bit of good natured banter from them about "splitting" for the new lot for the XC league both take part in, but it works well.

Eventually i'm sure i'd need the week to week mixing with people again, but for now this arrangement works...

£12.50 for that UK club is super cheap. But if i were you i'd sign on for the club you were part of for years, it's nice to feel part of something....and you might well come across some of them at future events

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Thanks Stevie - that is a good idea and one I had not really thought of - have decided if I am going to belong to a club I may as well join the one I belonged to for 15 years!!!!

Thanks all for your answers.