Excessive head sweating

Recently I have noticed that my head is sweating so much on runs that water is actually dripping off my ponytail/bun by the end even though I am not sweating greatly elsewhere. In fact in day to day life I barely sweat at all as generally colder than most people!

Anyone else had this problem and any potential solutions - it just feels a bit grim! 

Comments

• Sounds perfect to me. You want to get rid of the heat - isnt it 75% of your energy spent in running goes to heating yourself up ?  If you cant cool down then you're in trouble.

• Not an expert, but sweating is the body's way of cooling down. If the sweat glands on your head are working, then I guess they are doing their job and trying to cool you down. Unless you are feeling cold I wouldn't sweat it image.

If you have lots of hair (suggested by your reference to a pony-tail) then that could well be insulating your head, making it warmer, causing you to sweat more. Opting for a shorter hair cut may improve things. Possibly wearing a cap or buff soaked in water before will cause the cooling effect by evaporation sufficiently that your body doesn't have to produce the liquid itself, though you may have to resoak it on long runs. Other than that I guess you are looking at wearing some kind of headband to soak it up.

Final alternative - run harder so the pain everywhere else makes the grimness of sweat dropping off your pony-tail an irrelevance.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Sweating's a messy business, but that's what the shower after the run is for.  The only time it's been a problem for me is when I'm going full pelt on the exercise bike in the gym, creating a puddle of sweat on the floor, which has had the gym staff peering up at the ceiling looking for a leak, thinking that there's something wrong with the air conditioning.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Sounds okay to me. I'm a slaphead and the sweat runs off my shiny bonce in rivulets. After a bash on the rowing machine or a decent run I can often take off my Buff and wring it out into the sink.

So you're not abnormal.

• madmickiemadmickie ✭✭✭

I wish I had hair to wick sweat away from my face, in fact I just wish I had hair. I wear a cap to wick sweat away from eyes and face. It drips off the end of the peak.

Wear less, get your 'air cut, use your pony tail for hydration!

• It just wasn't as bad last summer but then have moved countries and it has been around 23 or 24C here recently.

Can't cut the hair as it would reveal my strange square head image 

• Square head? We want pictures!! image

I find tying my hair back really tightly works for some stramge reason - I can't get on with headbands or buffs at all - get far too hot.