Options

Are there any women NOT reading the 50 Shades of Grey books...?

Comments

• Options

Perhaps she is left handed?

• Options
    Hash wrote (see)
    Got to page 150 ish and had to admit that the emperor wasn't wearing any clothes. What a load of cobblers, her first bonk and all he has to say is "come for me baby" and her body duly obliges.

It's really hard to believe it's written by a woman, not just because of the above. It's what some men think that women find a turn on, whereas it's actually about as sexy as erotic as a cervical smear.

Hang on - it's written by a woman, it's very popular with women, yet it's goes down as what some men think women like !    

It doesn't sound like my cup of tea but how do men (ok some men) get the blame here ?

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Oh Popsider! 

Surely you know by now that it's ALWAYS a man's fault? image

• Options

Well to put your mind at rest Pops, here's one woman reader who thinks 50 shades is crap - I read some, skimmed the rest and deleted it from my Kindle. A young shy woman corrupted by a weird but obscenely rich and handsome bloke into bondage, S&M and total domination. I'm amazed it was written by a woman. Also, if you remove all the far too many and very very similar sex scenes there really isn't too much of a story line at all.

• Options
    BookyBooky ✭✭✭

The book is utter tripe. I read a bit, skimmed a bit, then put it on the bookshelf where it's currently gathering dust.

And Wilkie is right - you can always trace the root of any problem back to a man image

• Options
    Who are these people who read 50 shades of Shite? The same people people who like Downton Abbey, Hotel Paradise and the like. They want to conform so they can be part of the office chit chat and they don't like to read anything challenging. The so called "Chav" isn't the reader. They don't read at all unless it's a tabloid. This book is not the X-factor, it's more like U2 or Queen.
  • Options
    NykieNykie ✭✭✭

I've just finished reading the third book. Yes, it took me a while but people kept saying that they got better and admittedly, the third book had more plot than the first two. I read them to see what all the fuss was about but wish I hadn't.

They didn't get better, the writing was shockingly bad and they were pretty tame to be honest.

I don't like Downton Abbey, have never heard of Hotel Paradise, do like to be able to chat to others and I also do like to read things that are challenging. Hell, I'm halfway through Lance Armstrong's second book, in which he's still a hero! I also have a degree in English.

• Options
    skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    bos1 wrote (see)

There was a time when a book called '50 shades of grey' would have been a biography of John Major.

written by edwina currie?

doesn't bear thinking about.

• Options
    skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    Mrs Funkin wrote (see)

I strongly suspect that the sales are high for the same reason Mills & Boon book sales have gone through the roof - you can have them on your Kindle and no-one knows what you're reading...

and the irony is more people than ever before know exactly what you are reading if you do that.

• Options
    skottyskotty ✭✭✭

i'll spank my wife if i ever catch her reading such drivel.

• Options
    Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
    Who are these people who read 50 shades of Shite? The same people people who like Downton Abbey, Hotel Paradise and the like. They want to conform so they can be part of the office chit chat and they don't like to read anything challenging. The so called "Chav" isn't the reader. They don't read at all unless it's a tabloid. This book is not the X-factor, it's more like U2 or Queen.

i'm the opposite. i work in a very high brow office so i spend my afternoons in art galleries and watching french films in order to fit in.

thank goodness for twitter so I can discuss strictly anonymously image

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

High brow/low brow... I remember the inane office chatter about X Factor and what-not leading me to take up an evening course on Continental Philosophy to keep me sane.

Obviously I still haven't got a fcuking clue what Heidegger was on about...

• Options

i find Heidegger a little mainstream for my tastes. im fond of heraclitis and his notion of fire creating a finite and uncorrupted world.

• Options

heraCLITis

*snigger* haha

• Options
    Nykie- you proved my point beautifully. You didn't like Shades of Shite because you don't like Downton Abbey but you read it because you desperately want to conform.

The fact that you have a degree in English proves my point that it is not the "Chavs" who are reading it but intelligent people with little imagination.
  • Options

I've pretty much given up on novels completely. I read the Da Vinci thingy and got completely hooked all the while knowing it was absolute shite. I felt almost ashamed when I finished it that I'd wasted time on it, yet had been unable to put it down - like a shallow one night stand; seems like a good idea at the time and then you feel debased and wish you hadn't bothered (or so my more outgoing friends tell me...image). This has happened with quite a few novels now - all the 'unputdownable' type.

Now, the only novels I bother with are old fashioned ones like George Eliot. The stories are good but they're so chewy and full of superfluous descriptions you can always put them down; even for days at a time if you like. image

• Options

I like Downton Abbey. image

Does that make me anything?

• Options

i just finished silas marner. i actually did read it all in one sitting but I know what you mean image

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

I'm not a big novel reader but I remember enjoying Middlemarch immensely.  Like a big old soap opera in bonnets.  Then it came on the telly, and the old bloke was that fella from Corrie!

• Options
    the dude abides wrote (see)

i just finished silas marner. i actually did read it all in one sitting but I know what you mean image

In one sitting? Were you superglued to the toilet with the book superglued to your hands?

Is it good? I skipped and entire chapter in Daniel Deronda, which I've never done before but it just went on and on and on....

...and on and on and on... for the love of the Wee Man!

• Options

if i moved i knew i'd have to go for a run so i stayed put image

it was actually really vivid, beautiful and refreshingly big-hearted. a rare thing these days.

contemporary novelists are afraid of sentimentality. unless they are being sentimental, of course.

my friend keeps telling me to take two days off work and read middlemarch. i will soon image

• Options

I'm very wary of modern novels; they're either cheesy and crap, or violent, or full of swear words, or arty farty with arty farty swear words and violence....

I was traumatised by two scatalogical scenes I read in two different novels. I really, really wish I'd never read them.

You don't get that in Thomas Hardy, bless him.

• Options

i like contemporary literature, but only american. franzen, proulx, euginedes, mccarthy, pynchon, tyler. it seems the only people writing well in English are american.

apart from mrs mantel of course image

• Options

I'm 80 years old by the way.image

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Azacaya wrote (see)

Hmmm... multiple infanticide is pretty violent!  image

• Options
    the dude abides wrote (see)

i like contemporary literature, but only american. franzen, proulx, euginedes, mccarthy, pynchon, tyler. it seems the only people writing well in English are american.

apart from mrs mantel of course image

Ah, I read Gravity's Rainbow, and seem to remember I enjoyed it but don't actually remember anything about it. That wouldn't have been one of my traumatic scenes would it?

• Options

I must be one of the few people who has never watched Downton. Never once seen Emmerdale either, don't watch Corrie or other soaps - I really don't need to watch such programs in order to "fit in" at work or anywhere else.

• Options
    Azacaya wrote (see)

I'm very wary of modern novels; they're either cheesy and crap, or violent, or full of swear words, or arty farty with arty farty swear words and violence....

I was traumatised by two scatalogical scenes I read in two different novels. I really, really wish I'd never read them.

Very true - just gone from Will Self's My Idea of Fun to Return of the Native.  

• Options
    That chick that win the Booker prize...I'm not really into "hysterical" novels but she's won two major prizes...any point reading those?
  • Options

they are terrific. it isn't often anything lives up to the hype but in this case, they do. wor lass and I are divided as to which is better (i think Bring up the Bodies surpasses the original) but don't delay. get a copy. take the day off. read them.