Pirate DIY Half IM, The second coming!

Comments

• Looks like its on again then image

•  

How many who were there on Saturday and Sunday will be doing Outlaw this year?

• Me

In fact i think the majorityimage

• H0NKH0NK ✭✭✭

me too, in fact pretty much everyone seemed to be doing outlaw.

anyone do  last years diy half then outlaw, how did your times compare?

Loving everyones race reports

• my race reports a bit.... long here goes:

Pirate DIY HIM  Sunday 5th May 2013 - Race Report – My first Tri

Saturday-  I spent the day stressing about my wardrobe for the Sunday more than my better half would do over a spring wedding, will it be hot, cold, windy or rainy should I wear tri shorts or should I wear swimming trunks and change into proper comfy cycling gear. (The better half has never worn tri shorts or cycling gear to a spring wedding). Then started a checklist longer than my arm of things I should have with me and where I should have them on race day.

Sunday – Alarm clock set for 6:00 am, woke at 5:55 turned off alarm and headed down stairs for first breakfast of the day, and set off for Macclesfield.  Sunday 6am no traffic, also no kit list I left that on the side in the kitchen DOH. I found our hosts for the day SA’s very easily due to the massive pirate flag in the bedroom window.   Met the other pirates that were at SA’s.  Most had done the event the previous day and were looking really well., My nerves now were obviously very evident helped along by SA’s comments regarding it being a tough course that was half the distance of outlaw but definitely harder than half the effort... Thanks for that SA. Faffed again for a bit, Mrs SA helped with second breakfast and coffee thanks Mrs SA. Then a gentle ride to the leisure centre to rack the bikes on the bike racking, couple of pre race photos by the excellent event photographer and into the pool.

Swim – Decided on the fast lane, maybe a bad decision as Sorry forgot names, but Mrs SA, Flash and **** were split by a good distance so no drafting potential. I’m crap at keeping count lengths so I intended to keep track of how often I was overtaken, once by Flash so two more laps to do. Not a bad swim although I had some weird phantom injury that was an aching pain in both hips that I’d never encountered before. Finished swim in 40:20 not too bad. Quick change in T1 into my cycling gear then collect my bike, I didn’t forget my helmet or glasses or shorts all of which had kept me awake on the Saturday.

Bike – 56 miles in 12 laps - Started off, no cadence reading on my Garmin... DOH! – it’s still on run.  Get that sorted then off on the undulating marshalled course. Took the first lap steady, kept on the bars for the lap spinning the hills felt good;  passed SA’s parents where the bike feed station was located to great support from Jordy and the other pirate supporters , then pushed on as this little stretch was the only flat bit on the course.  Bike laps seemed to pass quickly.  Passed a few pirates on the hills and poor button mushroom who took the punctures for the team. Lap 10 came and still felt strong so I pushed on for the last two laps into T2 where SA and some of the supporters had relocated to prepare the excellently stocked run feed station.  Nearly came a cropper dismounting my bike, which SA took from me retrieving my Garmin.  Got changed in SA’s garage into my run gear, shoes, shorts, cap and a massive thanks to SA for saving some of my blushes, sure I heard calls of “do you need a hand in there”.  Bike and T2 3:06 – Chuffed with that. Total Time 3:49.

Run – 13.1 miles in 4 laps. Bring on the Jelly Legs, not starting my Garmin on run, and the start of the getting lost;  unfortunately some little monkey had moved one of the direction signs on the run route and I wasn’t sure which way to turn at a T junction out of the estate.  Back to SA’s where I was guided back onto route.  Big thanks to that kind pirate who offered me a map of the route - I should have taken it.  Run legs came back about

• mile one into the first lap, looked at the Garmin to check pace DOH.   Reset to run and started running - was going nicely then at mile two you hit quite a long uphill that went on for half a mile leading into the bike feed station that had now been turned into run feed station two, the kids who were handing out the water and gels here were amazing. 

Bring on getting lost event two.  I missed a sign that turned right and added about .3 of a mile onto my route.  When I got to feed station one SA informed me of my extra distance, nicely told me to rest my heart rate. This advice was well needed , then headed out for lap two with DK who was doing some laps so that I didn’t get lost.  DK ran lap two with me and it was great to have a chat; the lap passed really quickly. Yes we made the same mistake on lap two and added that .3 miles again!  Lap 3 I caught up with Flash on that long uphill and followed him on the correct route back to the feed station, one lap to go, felt good - well I guess as good as can be expected (looking at the race photos I look like death). Run time (for the 13.1 miles) 01:52. Total time (not that this mattered J as like BBT says this was a learning experience) 05:45:58.

What did I learn, the pirates are an amazing bunch of guys and girls and it’s great to be part of them, SA, Mrs SA, chief Supporter Jordy, and Marshallini put on a great event which was perfect as a test of the training completed to date, Can’t say thanks enough to you all, bring on the outlaw and more pirate black and yellow.

• marshallinimarshallini ✭✭✭
    H0NK wrote (see)

me too, in fact pretty much everyone seemed to be doing outlaw.

anyone do  last years diy half then outlaw, how did your times compare?

Loving everyones race reports

I did last year's DIY HIM and The Outlaw;

SWIM
    DIY HIM 0:33:17  (1950m @ 1:42.4 per 100m)
    Outlaw.. 1:08:09 (3800m @ 1:47.6 per 100m)

BIKE
    DIY HIM 3:03:30 (56.39  @ 18.6 mph ave.)
    Outlaw.. 5:51:27 (112 miles @ 19.2 mph ave)

RUN
    DIY HIM 1:26:42 (12.64 miles @ 6:51.5 m/m)
    Outlaw..  3:29:19 (26.2 miles @ 7:59.3 m/m)

OVERALL (inc T1/2)
    DIY HIM 05:15:00
    Outlaw.. 10:36:59

I haven't got a proper bike time for the DIY, but my computer said 18.8 mph for 56.39 miles which is 3:02 but i had a comfort break so I've added 90 secs.

DIY transitions are a guess as well, I didn't record them but T1 was a complete change and a faff therefore slow. I've added a fare amount for transition then rounded up the overall time to 5:15:00

Outlaw transitions - T1: 4:35 - T2: 3:26

• Race report coming up when I get a chance.  only just sorted my kit out from the weekend and I have a sprint tomorrow!  The 400 mile round trip with caravan was emotional but worth it.  Bike is still minging from Saturdays interesting ride!

• marshallinimarshallini ✭✭✭

Although I didn't race at the w/end I did get in a couple of quick circuits of the run route each day. Must thank the Jammy Dodger kids for taking over the feed station on Sunday which allowed me to run and Liam, Button and Slag for letting me go on Saturday.

• Tired Badger wrote (see)

my race reports a bit.... long here goes:

Got changed in SA’s garage into my run gear, shoes, shorts, cap and a massive thanks to SA for saving some of my blushes, sure I heard calls of “do you need a hand in there”.  

The pirates are a helpful friendly bunch.....imageimage

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

That was me in the pool with you Badger.  I was also on hand to help you get changed image

• Arr thanks Caz, nice swim.image

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

Oh if only... nobody wants me image

• Just think of the marines Caz!image

i'm in for next year! I shall do some part of the course, but only if it has been flattened. Otherwise i'll help out, and i promise to learn my right from my left when i'm shouting out instructions for the turns...image

• I'm sure you said you'd do the whole thing Lee image

I bet outlaw half isn't as much fun as we had this weekend

• Did i buggery!!! Hahahaha

• SuperCaz wrote (see)

Oh if only... nobody wants me image

image Less of that talk young lady or your going accross my knee Sunday. image

• image  Now i feel left out imageimageimage

hehehe

• can we go back to talking about tired badgers arse........will brighten up my day as its wet and windy here

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

Cake, you never fail me *mwah*