Pirate DIY Half IM, The second coming!

Comments

• Mrs SAMrs SA ✭✭✭

Race report. Here goes.......

After an awesome, successful day on Saturday, Sunday came round very quickly and it was now my turn. image.   I have to say, i was feeling very nervous, so much so that i could have quite easily sat down without a chair!!!!    Normal for me on race day. image.

Pirate kit on, drink and nutrition sorted, I managed to get some porridge down and keep it down image.   It was then that the Pirate possee began to arrive.   Mrs Matt (looking nervous too), Colourin (looking even more nervous), Flash (looking cut!), Tired Badger, Slagiatt, Liam (so cute), Button Mushroom, Paul Platt, Paul Platts dad, Britrisky, Bburn Plodder, and the lovely Lee and Super Caz. image   

Before we knew it, it was time to head off down to the pool.  The nerves just went. Once we all arrived at the rear of the Leisure Centre and the bike racking was all set up, I started to get a bit emotional that not only was this weekend turning out to be better than last year, but also the distances that some of you peeps had travelled to come to our humble abode in Macclesfield! image

Anyway, into the Leisure Centre for the swim.  I remember us all faffing about on poolside debating who was having which lane, and SA bellowing at us to "stop farting about and get in".   I chose the medium lane to begin with, but felt bad as people were stopping to let me through, so changed to the fast lane, which was better.   I do remember glancing over at Super Caz as she glided effortlessly through the water.   76 lengths later and i exited the pool.  Doh!!  ..... schoolboy erroe, i had not set my stopwatch image.   I do remember looking at the clock when i got in and on exiting the pool.  I think my swim was 40 mins.   Into T1 and after the usual Mrs SA faffing, drying of feet, socks on, shoes on, helmet/sunglasses .... it was off out on the bike course.   I remember doing this bike course when i was training for the Vitruvian a few years back, and after about 5 laps, it really gets under your skin!!!!    It was on the 7th lap (i think, as my bike computer was not registering)  that i came across Button Mushroom who had punctured.  He asked me for a "backie.  Honk and Slaggiatt were on hand to help, so reassured i trundled on.  To get me through those monotonous last laps i started singing "Don't Stop Me Now" by Queen, a good old "foot-tapper" that had reduced the boredom on my sessions on the turbo.  image.   After the feedstation (awesome, by the way!!!) it was a relief to be turning right, as opposed to left onto Pexhill Road.  The infamous black and yellow could be seen as i rode up Chiltern Avenue.  On dismounting the bike, i staggered into the garage to change.  Onto the run course, and this is where it all went a bit pair shaped.  image.    Half way round the first lap, my back was going into spasms and i started to get shooting pains up the back of my leg.  The trapped nerve, that had kept me from running the Outlaw and the DIY last year was back.  I opted for the "walk, jog, walk, jog" strategy until i got to the Feedstation.  With IM Florida only a few months away, I did not want to risk being where i was this time last yea

• Mrs SAMrs SA ✭✭✭

Bugger .... lost the rest of my report!   Ok nearly finished.

.... where i was this time last year - unable to run, crawling the floor in agony and not being able to train for months.  In hindsight, standing around most of the day on Saturday had not helped my back.  No wonder SA kept telling me to chill and sit down. image.   Jammy Dodger 2 kindly drove me back to SA Towers, where reluctantly, but albeit, sensibly i decided to call it a day on the run.  Back to supporting and having a good time.

Well, all in all a brilliant weekend.

Thanks to my OH for suggesting this mad, crazy (but successful) event in the first place. image

To my in-laws for the chip butties and endless cups of tea/coffee image

To you lot for turning up.  Without you this event would never have taken place image

To all that helped both days image

To Button for the sausages and bacon.image

To all those that brought the gels, maltloaf, bananas, jaffacakes etc etc. image

Marshallini image

• Soup DragonSoup Dragon ✭✭✭

SA - just a quick thought came to me about the pool. If some dropped out (not sure if they did or not) are you out of pocket for the pool? I don't think any of us would want that so can you let us know? 

Well done Mrs SA - look after that back.  I was going to say watch your back but that just sounded all wrong. image

• Mrs SAMrs SA ✭✭✭

Mr Monic .... could you let me have your address so i can return your pirate cap. Thanks image

• Sorry, I knew I'd forgotten some bit of detail!

17 Sangers Drive, Horley, Surrey. RH68AH

sorry again for being a spanner and forgetting it. Let me know what the postage is.

thanks again for a fantastic weekend, and hope the back is doing OK. Just drove the Vachery bike course today, in prep for mid July, by way of a preview since it was absolutely lashing down. Gulp image

MrM

• Mrs SAMrs SA ✭✭✭

Mr Monic ..... your cap should be with you in a couple of days image

• Received, Thanks Jo. And thanks again to you all for a great weekend. Can't wait for DIY 2014 image

Have we got a date for 2014 yet? image

• Is it not just may bank holiday again?

Poor SAs, they'll never have a May bank holiday to themselves ever again, hehehehe

Yeh, we will all just turn up lol. Shall I book Premier Inn now? image

• We'll be knocking on the front door, and peering through the letter box shouting "we can seeeeeeeeee you!!". We even know where Q's parentals live, so we're sorted, hehehehe image

• We managed to get to see the management of the leisure centre on Friday, no issues from them and they are still very much on side.

One point they did raise was that Sunday seemed much better than Saturday because of how full the pool became on Saturday and have mentioned that occasionally they have a Saturday when there are no swimming lessons and the pool is half empty.

If we want to continue growing this event, then they should be able to give us details of which dates would be best in ample time to still organise this.

Also discussed in the pub on Sunday after the outlaw half was the possibilty of on the Saturday just running an Olympic distance and then the half IM on the Sunday.

I have a great 10K run course if that gets the go ahead image

• image  Hurrah! image  That sounds like a good idea SA, doing an Olympic and a Half image

• We can all do the Olympic on Saturday and a half on Sunday I'm up for that. Anybody else interested ?

• I'd definatly do the half again, I'd also like to try and help on the other day.

• Razor Stop being a big pansy. You know you can do it.

• IM on Monday too if it's on a bank holiday weekend? image

• BrokebutTri'ng I like the way you think.

• Obviously you'll be staying for the Tuesday for the double BM

• So that's a flat 10k then? 

• Mrs SAMrs SA ✭✭✭

Mmmmm! image    If its the same 10K i am thinking of then ... nope!  image

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

I might be able to struggle through an oly by then, but would certainly be up for supporting and helping out.

• I might be able to struggle through a few pints of cider before marshalling everyone the wrong, eh, i mean right way on the course image

• BrokeButTri'ng wrote (see)

IM on Monday too if it's on a bank holiday weekend? image

IM on the Monday hhhhmmmmmmm would love to but 23 laps of that bike course, no thanks!