Options

Fastpacking in Wales and the UK

2»

Comments

• Options

i hope to see a UD in Edinburgh Run and Become shortly if they have one in, otherwise I'm looking at an OMM or Inov8.

I take your point about a waist belt but the UD Fastpack 20L most definitely is aimed at runners. The PB 12l for runners sits so well relatively high up without a waistbelt, even when fully stuffed, that perhaps they are trying to extend their market.

• Options

Indeed.  Saying that, there is a fair bit of difference between 12l and 20l.  I'd imagine that a full 20l backpack would bounce a fair bit without waist support, but then it's hard to say without trying it.

Most runners use their backpacks for fairly lightweight kit, but I use mine for a full multi day camping setup, so it's quite different I guess.

• Options
    SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

Interesting thread; I have had a few goes at The Two Moors Way from Plymouth to Lynton. This takes in Dartmoor and Exmoor, a great route, there are hotels that are happy to convey kit from one hotel to the next but my plan is to get the train to Ivybridge (Plymouth) and come back carrying all my own kit.

My first attempt involved carrying nearly 20kg of kit in the p'ing rain for 17miles on day one which convinced me that lighter weight was the way to go. I have not managed the whole route in one go (yet).

I find it hard to give up my creature comforts, but the challenge is there and it must be done image

• Options

^I'd say that you don't have to reduce on too much comfort to go lightweight.  It's surprising how much you actually don't need and is very liberating to learn exactly how little you do.  I can pack a 6-8 kilo backpack for 3 days and be quite comfortable. 

Carrying 20kg would be quite punishing on your knees and ankles if you're running, but 8-10kg is really quite manageable.  It doesn't even require you to go fully commando (although that would reduce a bit of weightimage by using a tarp.  You can get tents that are under a kilo and are quite comfortable.

Without plugging it too much, I've done some gear reviews on my site specifically for this purpose which you might find useful.  I'm putting up my full kit list next week for the recent trip I did in the Brecon Beacons which gives a good idea on how to cut weight comfortably.

• Options
    SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

Interesting; I did a mountain marathon (EnduranceLife) on Dartmoor a few years ago. I could not believe the small size of some of the rucksacks considering the kit list. I also could not believe that they decided to check MY sack which was the biggest there!? I thought it was significant that I did well on the second day, the 'comfort' bits I had  like a decent sized sleeping mat and a proper stove for example!  The smell of (not instant) coffee must have gone down well image with the others image

• Options
    SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

I have met someone who was planning to run the Two Moors Way (2MW) with some friends just sleeping rough as required, I do not know if they did.

I have too much respect for Dartmoor and its weather to do this, plus I am likely to know the people who would have to rescue me if I made a dick of myself image

I am recovering from injury at the moment so this season is out, but a few training sessions with weight could be on soon (hopefully)  with a proper go next spring.

I will have a look at your blog

• Options
    SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

Have you done any of the Might Contain Nuts series?

When I did a trail run last year with them I stayed at the Cwmdu campsite!

It was a great birthday treat for meimage but a bit cold

• Options

I'm a bit of an oddity in that I don't run races.  I just love going running by myself, or with close friends.  I love camping and running, so try to combine the two whenever possible, but I'm not overly bothered with PBs, times or any of the other stuff that goes with races.  Sure, there's camaraderie and I'm sure they're tonnes of fun, but I like to do things as and when I want rather than having set dates.  

You can get some extremely lightweight roll mats that pack very small (thermarest neoair lite, being an example, at 260g and 23x9cm packed), many sleeping bags are more than sufficient in the summer that are very small if you have dry clothes to wear in them (the one I currently use was about £25 and only weighs 600g http://bit.ly/1mMcvNg ) and some running backpacks weigh as low as 400g for a 20 litre, or mine is a slightly larger 30 litre at 702g ( http://ultrarunningcommunity.com/9-bag-review/15-inov8-race-pro-30-backpack ).  This totals 1864g for my backpack, sleeping mat, tent and sleeping bag, which are generally the most weighty items you are likely to pack.

• Options
    SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

I am reminded of 'the good 'ol days' (yawn) we used to demonstrate an 'officers' rucksack. The rucksack being small but contains lots of stuff!

Because (of course) the bottom had been cut out and a hole dug out underneath! The 'contents' would always contain alcohol of course... This went with the 'officers' ration pack demonstration with various delicacies inside...

1864g is very impressive; do you carry a stove etc ?

• Options

Meghan Hicks has posted an excellent and highly detailed review of the UD Fastpack 20L on irunfar. Yes, as you suspected, FpG, she complains of too much swaying when running with over about 15 lb of kit so in the comments she says she wouldn't use it for MdS. Food for thought.

I know exactly what she means in the bit about setting the lower chest strap so that it is just under her ribcage. This is also how I have to set the UD PB 12L. I prefer this bag for stowage but prefer the Salomon s-lab 12L for comfort (dayrunning).

• Options

Sideburn - 1864g is purely backpack, sleeping mat, tent and sleeping bag.  Obviously water adds a huge weight (1kg per litre) and food for the duration of the trip.  I generally max out at around 6-8kg on my back when running, however this obviously goes down throughout the trip as supplies are consumed.

SteveCRunner - I thought that'd be the case.  Waist and chest straps are vital when carrying weight.

• Options
    SideBurnSideBurn ✭✭✭

You have started me off again; I have some time off at the beginning of October..... where is that rucksack.

Dartmoor Fastpacking; sounds like a public order offence image