Frankfurt/Roth today

13»

Comments

• JjJj ✭✭✭

Wonderful.

Wonderful!

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Holly - I'm sure it was ! watching a pitch roller rolling surface water isnt great entertainment !

Iron Rose - you sound nicely inspired. No Kona slots at Roth though. Have you done your main IM for the year yet this year ?

• Nope, imuk in 2 weeks is the main one. No PB there but would be nice to beat the last uk time. Problem is imuk keep fecking up the distances so it's a bit like a box of chocolates, you don't know what youre gonna get
  • Ouch that was a hard last 20km but worth it.

I feel like I've been run over today image
  • Hi - glad to make your days a little more exciting yesterday. Wouldn't be Piratey if we counted them all out and counted them all back in without incident would it? Quick report shamefully rehashed from sub3 thread and various comms yesterday.

Think I took it up a level today just fell short at the end. 10:00:42. Swim was okay couple of minutes over target but hey that aint gonna ruin my day (or so I thought), bike (5:18) was good as the consensus is it was a 10min wind today. 1st half of the run was good. Felt great, running (what I thought was comfortably 7:10 @ 150bpm) and feeding better than ever before then at 18miles and still running 7:2x I just started projectile vomiting. Everytime I ate or drank anything I was on all fours so I had to 'run' on empty. Thought I was on for sub9:45 even with inevitable slowdown before that. Got told by several people beforehand the run was 1k short so was pacing my effort on that at the end to go sub10. It wasn't short at all. Still thought I'd done it as my watch was showing 9:59:20 but I think it auto paused in T2 when it was still in bike mode - @rse. Hence I was a little miffed when I rounded the corner and I'm blaming sh1t inside info ;o)

Not done myself justice for 4 (four) years at Ironman so pleased to come away from a race with a whole bunch of positives for change.

Thoroughly great race. Can't think of anything (bar run distance and wind) to fault it. Seriously off the hook.

As you nearly were ;o)
  • fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭

nice one Crab - top work.  trust you and 10' had a celebration beer or 2...

• slimshadyslimshady ✭✭✭

Great race Crab - I trust it was a bit flatter than Embrunman?   image

• Yeah followed by a midnight Burger King and a chocolate dog-nut eating competition at breakfast this morning*. Recovery strategy of champs.

Als du warst.

* high scoring draw for those interested.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭

Iron Rose - all the best with that then. At least all the folks will be racing the same distance on the day, so you might not PB but might get back to Kona.

CRAB - * how about a penalty shoot out then ?

• Well done mate - great to see that hard work starting to show.  Lots more still to come, there is a 9:2X in you soon

• So this is the thread where the proper athletes (and retired ones) hang out? I'll just linger a while and soak up some of your aura. Nice race, Crab.

• No need for penalties. A later flight meant I could be seen eating the winning donut victoriously (and not a little smugly) whilst the 1st UK Male (AG40 even though the young pup's in his bastid 30s) at the Euro Long Distance Champs was helpless, airside and waiting to board. For everything else there's Mastecard.

Slim - I reckon the wind made this a lot harder than Embrun. Think I saw Judy Garland more than once out there.

As you burp.

any reason for the yakking CRAB??  shit canal water or just "one of those things"??

• As I think I said yesterday, but you claimed not to hear... You need to learn how to use your equipment and not listen to c**ts who tell you porkies about the course!

Congrats on a hard won time, but more especially for winning the doughnut eating contest. My hero.image
  • Did someone say something ;o)

FB - Yeah TBH I think it was a slight case of eyes bigger than the engine on the day. Despite the run feeling uber-comfy I think it was just a little toasty. Nothing more complicated than that. Halfway in 1:33 (with thoughts of bettering that in the 2nd half at that point) doesn't sound right despite what it felt like. Nobhead reckons I went too hard on the bike (I didn't) he's just not happy cos I was so close to his split compared to him dropping me at will a couple of months ago at Fegancamp.

Them thar dog-nuts are a bit more-ish. I've had two more since he left.

As you were.

OK - one of them heat things then...

have a good trip back

• well done CRAB, speedy! hope you managed to get refuelled post-vomitage image

what an orsum race, swim exactly as predicted (I had a mini celebration at the first turn as it was my longest OW swim since henley last year!), fantastic bike course, felt pretty smug overtaking fancycarbon TT bikes on my alu road bike (without tri bars), run was a process of attrition - pretty surprised at how steady most of my splits are as I switched from a 9/1 run walk to 5/1 later on as my stomach got sorer and dehydration set in! uber pleased with 12:41 (and identical transitions, both 3:10)

• CRAB, if he's upset you were close to him on bike, tell him I was faster than him in the pouring rain and he never fell off this time so no excuse, however if he decides to come back with, it's ok knobhead I took 10 minutes out of your run I have no defence ????
  • I doubt he'd need to comeback with that seeing as we had to contend with the infamous Hurricane Adolf of 2012 for 5 hours which must have cost us several hours apiece. Incidentally the wind increased throughout the ride ergo his wave had 25minutes less in it than mine. Can I claim the normalised bike record on that basis please?

As you were.
  • Well done crab.... great time.

• I'll go back if you beat my time....Nick - otherwise I'll leave out there chase - no point in making it even harder for you next year, it could become a disincentive if it's too big a gap image

We'll get our show down in Sept 13 - hoping to stay on the bike this time.

Adam- was tempted to stop at Gregg's and pick up a 6 pack but remembered it was sunday and thought I'd accept defeat on the doughnut contest - nice move BTW.

Always a pleasure to share a weekend.

As I were