advice to improve my 10k sub 34mins

2»

Comments

• racing this weekend in an 800m though.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Good luck this weekend! Hope Power of 10 get it right this time too!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • image These types of thread never get boring!

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

I guess you will be disappointed with that, Simon,  but stick in there, keep training and times will drop. Also at your age I believe that much is learned by racing fairly frequently. There is both a "technique" to racing and the opportunity to experience a range of different events: I would not limit yourself by declaring that you are an 800 metre runner, or a pole vaulter or whatever at your age!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Simon - who is your coach down at Reading AC?

I trained for a year (2010/11) with Reading before moving to Newbury, so I know quite a few of the older lads down there, although most are probably slightly older than you. Of those I trained with, some of whom are still U17's, there was some very good runners - and I can assure you that the coaches did not encourage them to run 10k when they are training for 800/1500.

I'm not suggesting that you must not do 10k just dont think about it at the expense of your track efforts. I did my first 10k aged 15, half marathon at 18 - but I wasn't racing on the track and now regret not having that speed experience which I am struggling to achieve some years later.

Depending who your coach is, speak to Rob McKim at Reading AC. He has some very good athletes and if you have the potential he will get it out of you. Its tough but it works.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Mr Crisp my pal.....welcome to the site! Your level of expertise would fit in nicely over on my thread old pal...

ps Simon...what happened with the 800, did you feel a bit underpar on the day?

• 2.11 now Simon that is very respectable, well done

• thank you im getting my form back now.

• I ran in the 3000 the 800 (different race) and 3000 as well that day. You're times on paper are definitely getting better.

I see you're trying to find out if any 'rivals' are running at Mortimer 10k next week. My advice to you is to be sensible if you run it. Last years winner was 34.49, and 2010 was 35.29 - it isnt a particularly fast course. Don't be silly and try to run the 34min 10k you began this thread discussing, your track times suggest that you are not in that shape (McMillan converts your 800 to just over 35mins, and your 3000 to 39).

Frankly your best bet would be to run the 3k fun run and get a confidence boosting win. I moved up through the distances far too quickly and am now moving back down to get the speed necessary for my fast road races.