When does the ring come off?

E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I saw this interesting article (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18695889) about when you should take the ring off after a divorce and it made me wonder - what were the reasons for why you took it off?

My aunt took it off after each divorce was finalised but a friend of mine threw it at him when she found him cheating... so I wanted to ask: If you're divorced - when did you take your wedding ring off? Or did you keep it on?

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭

surely you'd take it off the second the relationship is over...not just wait until the divorce is sealed, as that could be months!

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

I took mine off when I finally realized it was over and I had to file for divorce. I certainly didn't wait for all the legalities to be finalized. The annoying this is that I wanted the satisfaction of having the ring valued for resale (it was made of Siberian gold) or dropping it down a drain if it wasn't worth much. But the ex nicked it.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Stevie G - I guess it's the final 'end'. Up until that point there's always the possibility of reconciliation or that's the way she looked at it.

@Muttley - she nicked it? couldnt you charge her with theft?

I hope that I never have to come to that point - but i'd find it very difficult to find a point to take it - and knowing me - it'd be something spontaneous (and normally done in anger).

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Emmy_bug wrote (see)

@Muttley - she nicked it? couldnt you charge her with theft?

Nah, couldn't be bothered. It was over 10 years ago now anyway, and I was just glad to be rid. Had much bigger things to worry about (like, where do I live now?).

• Depends when you accept it's over. I know someone who is till wearing his ring 10 years after she left and 6 years after she married someon else !
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Yeah, I can imagine. I've seen a lot of people on the website saying that they were more attached to their engagement ring than their wedding ring and for me it's the opposite.

I wear my wedding ring continually but because of running/gardening - i'll take off my engagement ring and it'll sometimes stay off for days.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Dave - is your friend still wearing it because he doesnt believe it's over? Or just because he likes wearing a ring?

• He's not my friend. I said someone I know. He wears it cos he claims he's still married
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I apologise for presuming that he was a friendimage So it was more of a mental barrier than a physical one?

• He is just someone I happen to know. Noting more than that, but it amuses several of us that he still wears his wedding ring
  • I hardly ever wear my wedding ring or engagement ring.........2 or 3 times a year when i glam up and put jewellry on...........its just a piece of jewellry....a marriage is what you have in your heart.....not in aq piece of metal.............

• I suppose they are always different reasons..........I got married as a commitment to my hubby........not to show anyone else my commitment............i suppose everyone gets married for different reasons........

and in response to the opening question.......in my first marriage i took the ring off the moment I walked out on him and the relationship........i packed a bag .told him i was leaving and to me I had made my decision...........it took a long time to get to that decision and i didn't leave in a whim or an arguement but because i knew the marriage could not work........so when i left the house the ring came off and didn't go back on again.....that was when the marriage ended.not when a piece of paper came through with the divorce

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hmm... my last message wasnt posted.

@Seren - why do you choose not to wear it every day? I get your point that marriage is your heart but what made you not want to wear your ring(s) on a daily basis?

I think you're right - once you've made the decision that the marriage is over - then there's no going back... i just find it interesting how different people come to that decision - what is the 'no go back' points

• I gave my daughter my wedding ring and the signet ring my ex gave me for my 40th birthday the day I left
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Dave - did you do that as a 'present' for your daughter? or what was the reason behind it?

My aunt gave her daughter her wedding ring... but said 'gold's so expensive nowadays - you might as well try and to get some good money for it...'

• Had to stop wearing them 12 years ago when I had to restrain my son daily.....jewellery was a danger to him and me...got used to not wearing it....
  • I didn't want them, so though my sprog could do with them what he wanted
  • In a stuggle a wedding ring can easily catch on things or catch on a child's skin
  • I hope never to be in a position to answer the question...

I could take the rings off, but I'd still be left looking married with a distinct ring mark on that finger. not just a tan line, it's a distinct dint all the way round. Wonder how long that would take to vanish.