training plan for kilomathon?

Can anyone advise please?

I've got 13 weeks now until my kilomathon and was looking around for a plan to follow. The one on the kilomathon site only goes up to a maximum of an 80 minute long run... which can't possibly be right....http://www.kilomathon.com/?improvers

It'll be the first time I've run this distance although I've done three half marathons.  Up until around a month ago I've been doing a weekly LSR of around 10-13 miles for quite some time.  I run 4 times a week and realistically couldn't fit in much more than this. I also try to swim once and cycle at least once.

I suppose if necessary I could follow a plan similar to the one I've done for my HMs before, and add a few miles / weeks onto my long run... but I've sort of adapted plans to suit me. Really I'd like a plan as I really stuffed up my last HM and I think the structure of a plan would help me.

TIA

Comments

• Are you doing kilomathon scotland? The plan you pasted in is for that race, which is only 13.1K and hence why it is only an 80 min long run I suspect.

If you are doing 26.2K then you could try using a marathon schedule and just not doing some of the longest runs.  You could take out the 3 weeks of a 16 week marathon schedule prior to the taper and use that as a guide.

• Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭

Thanks for reply Fiona

I'm doing the London 26.2k. I didn't realise that plan was for the shorter one- thanks for pointing that out.

Thanks for advice, I'll have a look and try to adapt a marathon plan.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

I think you'd be better off adapting a half marathon plan, and just make sure you get the long runs up enough, i.e. up to about race distance.  The demands on your energy systems will be much more in line with HM than the full distance.

If you're doing it off four runs per week, I wouldn't use a plan which is overly prescriptive on "speedwork" or any kind of intervals come to that.  The emphasis should be on getting the mileage up to necessary levels, perhaps backed up with some tempo running at, or a bit quicker than, HM pace.  Make sure there's a second "semi-long" run during the week to support the long run.

• You could just follow the full marathon plan but just run with shorter strides on the actual day

• Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭

Thanks Phil

Helpful advice.  I would like to improve my pace a bit.  My OP says I've done three HMs, I've actually done four and when I wrote the original post I must have blanked out the last one cos I"ve gotten so slow recently.  So ideally I'd like to a) improve HM time, and b) do the kilomathon at more or less the same pace as a decent HM pace (for me).

Do you think that four times a week isn't enough?

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

4x/wk should be enough if that's all you can fit in, just make sure you get the volume up sensibly.  Any additional x-training that gets the heart going can act as a partial substitute for easy miles, e.g. spinning, swimming, other cardio sessions.  Not to mention walking.