Enduroman UK 2013

Comments

• 2009 in Lichfield wasn't nice weathwerwise either!

• im just concocting a welly/cleat comboimage

•  

Doner Kebab wrote (see)

im just concocting a welly/cleat comboimage

What for the swim?? image

• dont be silly - they would let in water where i screwed the cleats through, god man - think about it  image 

• I think cleats would make the wellies too heavy for the swim anyway so yeah you're probably right, stay cleatless for it. You wouldn't want too much water coming in cos you've got to cycle 232 miles after and with wet feet it would be too unpleasant image

Whats your plans for longer sessions as the winter goes on leading upto the event DK? I wouldn't really know where to start other than gradually upping distances. I think Seren did a 150 mile bike through the night in the run up to the day.

Swimming training appears to be cheating by all accounts but then it seems bike training and running is alsoimage

Ah well on call until 8 in the morning and then off until the 30th. Did a 3 mile treadmill today. Longest run since 14th October. It's a start I suppose image 

• I am so glad that i'm only doing the half next yearimage

• Get out of it, you loved every minute image

• i did read a bit of what seren was doing last year but she cheated so much - all those swimming sessions in the taff in the cold, BBBrrrrr   no thank you. 

i got a very basic plan for the bike:
    january = a couple of 50 mile long rides
    feb = working up to 100 milers
    march = working up to 150mile
    april = at least 1 x 150 miler and 1 x 175
    may = at least 1 x 200 miler 

i know so many people will disagree with me if say this but..... i dont train for the bike that much, before the outlaw i did a couple of 80's and couple of 100's and a hand full of 50s / 60s, most of my other sessions were done on the turbo and lasted about 60 minutes, sometimes 90, occasionally 120, i dont feel like i undertrained and maybe i could have done a lot better if i did more, i dont really like biking for hours for training purposes. this is not the way to go for the majority of people that actually want to be any good - my bike split was just over 6 hours so could have been a lot better. After the outlaw i found that maybe my niche is in long distances - coming 6th in my first ultra (70 miles and 10 days after the outlaw)  i also got another 6th place at Ladybower 50 miler a few weeks later, hairy half got 5th and beat me by 20 minutes - but he has done a fair bit of long running. so my plan for running is still, as always, - keep going, simples. 

Ill probably get an early or 2nd wave start as its the world champs so training for the swim is same as outlaw, some of my bike trainig will be done at night like seren did - i already run quite alot at night and live out in the sticks with no houses or street lighting so i am used to that scenario. i train solo near all the time, the exception being OW swimming, and this will stand me in good stead as i been told it can get very lonely on that course by a few people. 

kind of hoping for a 30 hour time but so much can happen, at the minute my run is solid and swimming is getting better every month - nearly 20 seconds off my 400m pb in the last month. last year i was doing 9 minute 400's this month im hitting 7:26 and 8 minutes is so easy. almost breaking 50 minutes for 2.5k so im doing something right. Next year i WILL NOT FECK UP MY NUTRITION, im also doing more weights this year but still not enough core work, im kind of getting psyched up for the big day but just need to get xmas and new year out the way then i can focus on diet and some serious training.

seren - you will be doing the half but i bet youll still be there before hand and probably still be there by the time i get my arse across the line - so itll feel like you done the double again ;D

• $hit -  i didnt think it was that long - sorry ;D

• Iron Pingu wrote (see)

Your probably right, I'll try counting again, lol, makes no odds to me, I can't follow training plans. image

Doner Kebab wrote (see)

dont be silly - they would let in water where i screwed the cleats through, god man - think about it  image 

DK - if you used self-tapping screws they wouldn't leak, as long as you made sure that taps were closed image

• DK.Iwill be there for the start.but I have a feeling you might be at the finish line before me on the Sunday.depends what time they set us offimage

Doner......You just have to make sure that you are happy with the lights on the bike.its really important as there are no street lights for most of the course and loads of hazards to get to you

• bike lights are my main concern - i thought my 277 lumen head torch was going to be ok but after a serious run the other night i doubt it will be anything like adequate, im too scared to ask on the other site what are or what have people used in previous years. By the sounds of it i need around 700 lumens which adds up to a big chunk of cash as i dont want to rely on a borrowed seet that i have have never used before. IIRC  you wasnt sure what make or how strong the ones you used were Seren.

• Doner.I can give you a link to deal extreme.they come from china and you have to get a 99p adapter to charge but they are brillinat.a few pirates recommended them to me........they are 800 lumens and the battery last for abouty 4 hours on full powewr.so i about 2 sets for under £60

Hubby has just bought a pair.......I use them on full beam where there is no lights and half beam where there are street lights

• Yea I seen the chinese eBay ones for 29 quid. 1800 lumen, good reviews but people doubt the output figure and they take a while to charge. Send us the link though seren and ill have a look, nothing ventured and all that
  • Doner.....as i said a few of the pirates recommended this company and these lights..had mine well over a year and really really pleased with them

http://dx.com/p/t6-waterproof-xml-t6-3-mode-1200-lumen-white-led-bike-light-with-battery-pack-set-82510

I will see if tis works

• thanks seren, it seems like the same light and after a bit of digging around i found loads of these scattered over the net - most appear to be the same but the link you gave is the cheapest - nice oneimage  22 quid direct, bargain, a few proprer reviews as well and did you get the wide beam converter - lots of people recommend it for biking

• not hgeard of the wide beam converter.......

• By the sounds of it,its the magic one that also fits the Chinese one , ill try and find the link to the pictures - it does look better dispersed
  • Happy new year, only 5 months to go !

I haven't posted for a while. Life has been very busy.

After cycling to Barcelona at the beginning of November, I had 7 manic weeks at work accompanied by some issues at home. Just before christmas I started to think about abandoning the double and to my surprise I found I quite liked the idea. I really had a huge case of CBA. I even started to tell people that I might not do it.

Then I was driving to work and I started to think about supporting the double, watching DK, Q and the other pirates doing the single and the half. I then realised that I would hate watching, I couldn't be there and not do it. So now my motivation has returned and  I am very excited again.

So 4 months of hard training ahead. My job is much busier than this time last year so fitting it in won't be easy but I am feeling confident.

My big session this week is a 3 hour run on sunday.

imageimage

• so glad the motivation has returned purple...........Mine is realy high at the moment for the outlaw.......I hope it stays.................image

• 3 hours purple! good going, i wont be hitting that sort of mileage for a good few weeks yet,

I was thinking of doing a double training thread since the "something slightly different thread to last year " thread has lost a lot of people and doesnt really motivate me as much as it used to (come back marshallini and steve ho and OC has his knee probs,) my thinking was if i logged my training (you and q could also post if you wanted to) on a thread i would be more inclined to do the bigger sessions - people seeing that im slacking is a great motivator image

anyone doing a double in future would have a guide of what (not) to do. 

• Good decision Purple - you would hate watching I'm sure. My much smaller training plan for the half is all systems go for next week. I've just bought some sealskin gloves to cut out another excuse for avoiding rain. For me its not a time issue, just a HTFU one. And I'm only doing a quarter of what you nutters (sorry I mean heroes) are doing. 

Happy 2013 all. 

• I can now say I'm thinking of the double for next year image

Happy training. Get with it Purple and think about your feeding/nutrition strategy. Just what I heard people speaking about and some of your own comments you didn't seem to get this right this year. I think you took to drinking a lot of coke but not eating much so that may need looking at. Fair play I'm routing for you this year from afar.

DK I'm looking forward to reading the next few months of your journey. I loved reading Serens exploits last year leading upto the day and watching her face upto the demons on the run section on the day ( well the bits i saw as I ran around the course!! ). It was all inspiring stuff.

Only 5 months to go folks image

• Soupy you and anyone else on here doing it are included in what I just said, dstances don't matter image

• I won't be making the double this year, too much non-tri stuff going on

• soupy... the half is going to be a lovey race....my advise is if its wet just get out there.as the enduroman team seem to like organising rain for the event image

I am looking forward to this race,,,,,,,,,,,I'm really hoping I can race it and not do it as a training session

• Yeh, thats what I figured Seren with the rain. I'm really looking forward to this though. Sorry you won't be making it SA, not tempted with the Half though?

• so 7 weeks or so to go - how is everyones training going?

Will be there to support, not compete this year. Looking at the continuous Deca next year though image

I've ordered 20 degree sunshine and no wind or rain for this year..

• Also - has everyone seen the updated start times?