Outlaw 2013

Comments

• Dinky wrote (see)

If there are any relay teams needing another person, let me know.  I would be quite happy to do this one as part of a team.  Will not be quite ready for the full distance by then image

Not with that attitude you won't!! Woman up and GET readyimage 

Seriously... 8 months is loads of time to get into Iron shape. image 

• As one of the fuller figured pirates I will concur that weight plays a large part in cycling speed, particularly on hillier courses.  EP, Podds, youll no doubt know that but suffice to say loosing a stone will make a big difference to your cycling and aerobic capacity.

Outlaw isnt a hilly course, its as good as a flat course so will not penalise heavier riders like other courses.

I understand the need to get an idea of your bike speed at this stage but whatever that is it shouldnt be looked at as a negative.  Your on start of a long long journey, the focus of which is to improve and adapt, massive improvements can be made but you get out what you put in, structured bike training certainly has benefits but even without structure if youre doing 100 miles a week youre soon going to see improvements.  Think about gearing up to doing 200 miles a week in peek training March-June next year and youll have nothing to worry about with bike speed.

• Stanners this is sh*te website but for a olly this might do Havn't checked the dates to see if it match's but localish. If you can't find one I'm thinking a DIY olly might be a good idea. Oh as I type the cogs in brain are working mmmm something to think on.

http://www.pdsportsmanagement.co.uk/

• TheEngineer wrote (see)
    Dinky wrote (see)

If there are any relay teams needing another person, let me know.  I would be quite happy to do this one as part of a team.  Will not be quite ready for the full distance by then image

You think?  I was planning on the 70.3 in Lanzarotte in November 2013 and the full IM Lanzarotte in May 2014!  I can easily handle the distances of any of the disciplines on their own, but altogether?  Don't have that much confidence in my abilities .. yet? image

• Dinky wrote (see)
    TheEngineer wrote (see)
    Dinky wrote (see)

You think?  I was planning on the 70.3 in Lanzarotte in November 2013 and the full IM Lanzarotte in May 2014!  I can easily handle the distances of any of the disciplines on their own, but altogether?  Don't have that much confidence in my abilities .. yet? image

Dinky wrote (see)
    TheEngineer wrote (see)
    Dinky wrote (see)

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/triathlon/how-bad-were-you/107639.html 

Oft repeated for a reasonimage
  • Okay, okay Engineer .. I get the message image.  I'll get my arse into gear and start training for the whole thing image! Got a few events along the way to help get me there image

• Think I might have to get my butt down to outlaw just to see what all the fuss is about ... I ain't saying I'll ever do it tho!!!!!
  • Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)

As one of the fuller figured pirates I will concur that weight plays a large part in cycling speed, particularly on hillier courses.  EP, Podds, youll no doubt know that but suffice to say loosing a stone will make a big difference to your cycling and aerobic capacity.

Outlaw isnt a hilly course, its as good as a flat course so will not penalise heavier riders like other courses.

I understand the need to get an idea of your bike speed at this stage but whatever that is it shouldnt be looked at as a negative.  Your on start of a long long journey, the focus of which is to improve and adapt, massive improvements can be made but you get out what you put in, structured bike training certainly has benefits but even without structure if youre doing 100 miles a week youre soon going to see improvements.  Think about gearing up to doing 200 miles a week in peek training March-June next year and youll have nothing to worry about with bike speed.

Truly said that man image

I think you've hit the nail on the head - tis not the speed per se but perhaps your attitude towards it that is really important ie not looking at current slow speeds as a major negative

And yes EP Outlaw is probably as close to flat as you'll get for 112 miles! image

• And furthermore Barley you've given me a much needed kick up the wotsit to put in some structured bike training for next year's A race imageimage  

• Get that kicked arse over to the Chilterns a bit regularly then  image

• Stanners from the Bridge wrote (see)
    There was a really interesting thread on here last year called something like Fink for Outlaw, where those who were following the Fink plan could help each other. I watched enviously from the sidelines and thought it was brilliant. Would there be interest in doing the same this year or just keep everything on this thread?

It is a hot topic for me. I have just done my first long run focusing on HR rather than speed. It was a set distance rather than time, which I know us wrong. I managed to keep my heart rate mostly in z2 and averaged 160bpm. I didn't even look at my time until I had finished and managed to knock 3 minutes off my best 18k time finishing in 1h:19min. I am putting this down to being able to look down at the Garmin and see I am allowed to push a little harder, e.g push another 5bpm.

I am obviously chuffed, anyone else had a similar experience?

Stanners, think there are quite a few of us on here doing the Fink plan this year - start 9th Dec from memory.

just started doing weeks 1 and 2 of Fink plan in a rotation until 'start proper' to see how it fits around work and family and when the best time of day to train is etc. (quality advice from mentor image)

Also just adjusted my HR zones as think i was pushing it too hard into anaearobic.  read on here recently about Maffetone HR training (180 - your age, plus or take @5 based on small variances) so went for first long run over the weekend at HR 140.  felt good but involved a fair amount of walking up hills to get HR back down. am assured that i'll speed up in due course as my aerobic threshold increases.  How did you get on with Last of the Summer Tri btw?

• M...eldy wrote (see)

Get that kicked arse over to the Chilterns a bit regularly then  image

Reps of Streatley hill? image

• I have Aston Hill .... who needs Streatley !!

• If you struggling with HR training, the used the PRE scale instead,

1= asleep

2= slow walk

3= slow plod

4= gentle run

5=running and able to hold a conversation

6=exercising and able to string a couple of words together

7=exercising and able to splutter the odd word or 2

8= can manage to say single words

9= almost maxed out, can't utter a word

10=throwing you guts up and giving it your all.
  • I thought you'd like that!!
  • That's my preferred speed. A gentle plod mind, not too strenuous 

• PO.dds: feel the fear, do it anyway wrote (see)
    Bouncing Barlist wrote (see)

As one of the fuller figured pirates I will concur that weight plays a large part in cycling speed, particularly on hillier courses.  EP, Podds, youll no doubt know that but suffice to say loosing a stone will make a big difference to your cycling and aerobic capacity.

Truly said that man image

I think you've hit the nail on the head - tis not the speed per se but perhaps your attitude towards it that is really important ie not looking at current slow speeds as a major negative

And yes EP Outlaw is probably as close to flat as you'll get for 112 miles! image

PO.dds: feel the fear, do it anyway wrote (see)

And furthermore Barley you've given me a much needed kick up the wotsit to put in some structured bike training for next year's A race imageimage  

Podd/EP - check out my blog
    http://mydoubleironman.wordpress.com/2012/09/17/im-a-crp-cyclist/

My cycling has improved unbelievably in the last two months; just due to a change of thinking image

• For those not racing Outlaw, can I just mention that we have been running one of the bike feedstations for the last 3 years and will be doing so again in 2013.

We'll need all the help we can get, its a good laugh and a nice way to meet other pirates, support other athletes.  After the feedstation we usually disperse around the run course to support the remainder of the race, then onto the finish line to see the last finishers home (usually pirates).

We'll be starting a thread looking for support and volunteers in the new year.  Please bear us in mind if you can block out the weekend in your diary. 

For those not competing (and free entry to those on the feedstation) there are a number of swims on the Saturday, I think 1500 & 3000m?

• Ready for a show down Barlos ... 3000m ?? imageimage

• I will hand you your arse on a plate

.... well maybe i'll need two plates  image

• Nice TOTP Melds!

..........now I need to read back to see whose arse is on the line image

• Phew s'ok - not my arse then image

And er.....thanks Cat and Meldy for your hill "suggestions" - you both know first hand just how crap I am at upflats - whatever you have in mind for me I'll need something gentler!!

PTL - thanks for the link - have stored it for half term reading when I'm the only one in school and nobody pops into my office unexpectedly to catch me on RW !! image

• half term next week for us.......going up to teh the snowdon marathon saturday and then walking up snowdon with the kids sunday image

• I am hearing lots of self belief and decent attitudes on this miserable grey day, dreaming of Summer/tents/and Outlaw.....