Outlaw 2013

Comments

• EP...no problems image hope it's not too long...

• "There is nothing worse than some hairy biker pulling you off at a lay by"

Thanks Cake, can't imagine there'll be a better quote all year long image image image

• image I was just thinking that too!!!!!!! image  True pirate class quote

• Blue Peter, brilliant report image

Well done, loving the reports and the longer the better.

• BP

It was a pleasure to mentor you, even though you did break the first rule of not beating your mentor

Great report and truly epic race

Take a bit of time out and we will chat what's next for you

• Going to do something a bit longer but needed a lie down after a trip to facebook land to read Stanners excellent report ( only to scroll down and see I needn't have bothered). Along with BP's and Cake execellent report and comments they seem to have captured all that was great about the day.

So a few personal reflections from swollen knee land!  In the same vein as Stanners I spent most of the first half of the bike thinking crap swimmer (@1 17 a bit slower than last year) and like everyone else went through 2 bottles every 16 miles or so. Unlike Stanners and many others I had done this before and can only appologise  for my blink and you'll miss comment on Hoxton bank in the days before the raceimage. Twas rough!  Stepping out on the run I really thought 8 hours and 30 odd minutes might not be enough ( actually went 5 mins faster than last year at 6 20 - a pb for my second ever marathon) .  Shocked at the number of athletes who had opted for the only viable option to ensure a completion. Loads of support from pirates and future pirates there are only 2 types of people. Saw Cake on the run and he was unreconnizable from the hard core zombie whom I had the pleasure of jogging the last few hundred metres with- different man lots of guts.

Same goes for Britrisky , nurse Ratched and all those others who staggerd home and those who put in stirling efforts to get it done , whether they got DNF,d or not, you are all winners. The look on the last finishers face summed up the whole weekend, can we get this Claire to join usimage. Attempted to help a man collapsed vomitting on the staircase , saw SA Seren the sponge and many others later on .

Special thanks to Stanners for buying me drink to go with packet of crisps that I really wanted and also to Mouse for later mistaking for Stanners image Great for me not so good for him, special mention to broke but triing for his wood block tri bars and tired badger for having his support and cracking forum name.

Fond memories of sitting around out of the sun talking rubbish and trying to get enough salt in ................................

• ps where are the results?

• stanners  and BP great race reports!

After having to pull out of the event as a solo entrant due to my fall of a ladder and the OH accident, i wasnt expecting to be participating in the Outlaw this year. I was asked on Tues if I could do the bike leg of a relay team and jumped t the chance

.I'm so pleased that I agreed to do it as the bike feed station was awesome! Several moments stick in my memory, cake and his handbag, being offerd G and T, the sight of some bloke dressed in a nappy thong, pirates infiltrating the tripe talk feed station and being shot at by a water pistol. 

I also couldn't wait to get back to Car Colston as the support was brilliant from the pirate massive.

A big pat on the back to all that competed, hugs to  the peeps that didnt make the finish.

See you there next year!

• Really enjoying reading the race reports, keep them coming image

• just back.brilliant to see so many pirates and so many with their medals.........will read back and do race report laterimage

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

Great reports all.

Results are on the Outlaw page now - but not finalised I think.

Bin man is still down as a DNF - his timing chip came off with his wetsuit....but he definitely finishedimage

• Here I go:

In the run up to the Outlaw I wasn’t sure I would make it to the start line as a few months out tendonitis in my ankle (posterior tibial tendon) had flared up and really hampered my bike and run training and because I didn’t want to rest completely it took ages to recover, but with 3 weeks to go it came right.  Problem was my run mileage was low and I didn’t manage to run more than 13.1 miles in training.  I had done plenty of cycling hours but not individually long rides, really because I CBA and get very bored riding a bike for more than 4 hours.  I had done 1 3.8k epic events swim in the Lake District so was reasonably but not ideally prepared.  The second half of the “run” was certainly expected to be “interesting”.

I was staying at a remarkably cheap Travelodge with my wife and daughter so travelled down on Saturday morning and didn’t get to catch up with the Pirates who were camping but was pleased to get to speak to quite a few on the Saturday at HPP.  There were lots entered from my tri club too and a couple of colleagues from work so plenty of bravado and competition to live up to.  Saturday was a long day (I would go to the briefing that had the guy with his map and pen out and felt the need to question everything) but relatively uneventful and got back to the hotel for 5pm for dinner at the Toby.  Little to no sleep on Saturday night meant I didn’t need the alarms clocks and ate copious amounts of porridge at 3am until I felt just one more spoonful would make me gag – they lay down again for a bit.

Once at HPP I was feeling very nervous, which got my body clock going so to speak and would save me time later on!  One useful lesson is that if you are not wearing a top under your wetsuit don’t use Nipguards in front of your mates.  The swim went very well for me with little biff on the way out, when I did think I had taken a punch it was simply that I swam mouth first into a lane buoy.  The return leg seemed much more congested as I was between two others swimming at exactly the same speed which was uncomfortable so I was glad to reach the end and was delighted with 1 hr 11.  T1 was fine but it is indeed very difficult to pull on a cycle top when wet and I was worried I would look like Faris Al-Sultan for the rest of the day but eventually got it on.

• The bike started well and I was averaging close to 22mph for the first 40 miles, but this slowly and steadily dropped as I got later into the ride and there certainly seemed to be some headwind heading up to the North Loop.  The pirate feed station was ace and my two highlights were getting the loudest aaaarrrrggghh I have ever heard from Jordy the first time through and then the next time, having just caught a team mate, him getting shouted at to get out of my way as a pirate was coming through and didn’t he know pirates took priority!  I got overtaken by two pirate ladies about ¾ of the way through the bike course who were really going well, the second was Mellifera who took some time for a chat before pushing on and showing me how it is done.  The bit of the course through the village was brilliant and there was great pirate support here which helped push me on.  Nothing too eventful except that I really started to notice it heating up towards the end and had begun to feel very sick and unable to take on food.  I completed the bike course in 5hrs 28 which was also better than expected so I got to start the run with time in hand against my target time of 12 hours and figured I would need it.

As I set off on the run I wasn’t feeling at all good.  I got to see my wife and daughter for the first time which gave me a lift but decided I would test if I needed the portaloo to settle my stomach, but nothing happening!  I would just have to carry on feeling queasy.  All thoughts of only walking aid stations were out of the window on lap 1 and I had to walk within the first half of the first loop of the lake.  After lap one they handed out ice cubes which I stuck under my cap as well as throwing cold water over me which seemed to help.  I met DK who was starting his run but having to nurse his Achilles and after a bit of a chat I felt I could try running.  I began to feel a bit better and tried to run to the end of each mile and then “reward” myself with 0.1mile of walking and repeat.  This went okay for a while but inevitably the 0.1 became longer.  I much preferred the out and back loops with some shade to the loops around the lake.  There was great support and the people by the river who provided sponges and cold water were a god send – these cold water showers made a huge difference to how I felt.  By the time I got to my last ¾ loop of the lake I could get under 11 hrs 30, but only if I could run at least some of it.  With 2 miles to go I thought if I could run for just 1 mile, I could then walk if needed, but I couldn’t and it was a difficult run a minute walk a minute affair.  Down the last stretch I knew I could make 11 hrs 30 and couldn’t wait to run down the chute with Little Miss Darkness so managed to speed up a bit.

Then disaster.  I ended up in the finish chute and there was no family to be seen.  They had gone back up the course so my daughter could run with me for a bit further but we completely missed eachother.  I sort of stood around the finish chute looking around and calling for them but no, I just had to walk over the line looking rather dazed and confused with the crowd looking at me like I was deranged.  The official finish line photos are odd to say the least!  30 mins later I found my family who were more upset than me.

Overall though I was very happy with my time of 11hr 24 mins and was very proud to be wearing the yellow and black.      

• citizen 146 wrote (see)

The look on the last finishers face summed up the whole weekend, can we get this Claire to join usimage.

Claire is in my tri club (Craven Energy) and I will point her in our direction!

• beautifulimage,  oh and great report, paraphrasing Barlos longer is better, cheers

• Well done to everyone that competed this year at Outlaw. I wasn't there to support unfortunately but it sounds like I missed a great day (albeit very very hot) image

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Lovely reports. Thank you. 

Citizen, are you sure you're not Stanners?

• I dream of being  a version of Stanners that can swimimage, might just settle for being 15 years younger, or is it more oops...

• Mouse can you remember the name of the girl that went through FS5 the wrong way...want to look her result up to see if I can work out what she was doing

• As we were packing up a girl, might have been a Ruth? Came through the feedstation going the wrong way, didn't stop, didn't acknowledge us and was motoring so didn't look in trouble...was odd.

• Loving the reports, keep them coming image

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

I've just looked up what I think her number was and she's got a finish. I don't like to post her number here as it feels a bit intrusive. 

• Flat Foo..ted wrote (see)

As we were packing up a girl, might have been a Ruth? Came through the feedstation going the wrong way, didn't stop, didn't acknowledge us and was motoring so didn't look in trouble...was odd.

She was probably still traumatised by jock strap incident earlier on image

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

I think WE are all still traumatised too and will be for some time.... image

• No comment.

• M..o.use wrote (see)

I've just looked up what I think her number was and she's got a finish. I don't like to post her number here as it feels a bit intrusive. 

Fair one, more intrigued then looking to start a steward inquiry...image

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

I think we're safe on the enquiry as DF3 is now barred from RW. 

• Thanks to everyone on the feed stations.  Being my first time going long, I did not know what at to expect of the highs and lows.  Safe to say, the jovial antics of the pirates kept my spirits lifted.  what a weekend.  Absolutely loved it.  And within a couple of weeks I'm sure ill be wanting more.  New tat is booked for the 13th July which was booked before outlaw so was another motivating factor.  Maybe Wales or Bolton next year though so I can get another tat!

• P.S

did you get your Jersey back Seren?  Feel free not to wash it if you want to sniff it for a while!