Outlaw 2013

Comments

• Little M.iss Happy wrote (see)

Great reports guys.

Where do you get whole dried bananas?

Googled "Whole dried bananas"

Got http://www.realfoods.co.uk/product/1430/vnc-sun-dried-banana-250g?gclid=CPz2ptCqo7gCFdLLtAodZEsA8Q

as the cheapest including postage.  Might have to try some.....

• Just read the review; might try some more expensive ones:

I am undecided about these.They are not too bad.The smell is off putting,but it is the taste that counts and it is okay - a bit funky.I would imagine these are very hit and miss amongst consumers and I am not too sure if I would order these again.Also,I am not too keen on them coming from Vietnam, as far as quality standards are concerned.  Try them, they are pretty cheap but I personally was a bit disappointed by them.

• K9, you taught yourself to swim from YouTube videos and did a 1hr 5! Amazing,  am very impressed.

• These race reports are fantastic! Congratulations to you all. image

• Hi Major, long time no hear, hope you are keeping well.

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

Taught myself crawl Darkness - I could swim breast stroke before!

Taught myself tumble turns from you-tube - it's an amzing resource!!

Those bananas look dodgy.

Like the towel-pee ideaimage

• Excellent report everyone, nice one Honk, good to meet you

• Here it is ...

Preparation

We camped all weekend, and renting a caravan that was conveniently delivered to our pitch. Good job we did, I hadn’t expected to have a son with a broken leg to add to the mix! Friday was spent eating at the pub down the road with guys from DIY HIM. Saturday was busier than I expected – registration, race briefing – “its going to be hot, real hot”, they said, don’t over inflate your tyres, take salt tablets, drink loads, but not just water.  So off to the expo to buy electrolytes, because I hadn’t brought any and mistakenly thought they’d be in the energy drink.

When I got back to the caravan, both tyres were flat ... back to the expo to buy more inner tubes. Getting a bit stressed now – time’s getting on, and I’m not resting very much. Tyres on, wheels on, back to the centre to rack my bike and hang up my transition bags, packed more quickly than I wanted.

Race Day

Very little sleep, but that’s ok, because I’d banked some hours the week before to make up for this. I’d fretted about my tyres so got up at 3.30, and after sweeping up my spilt porridge from the floor I forced it down, in between picking bits of grass and fluff out of it (yes, minging, I know, but food is fuel, grass or no grass), I went off to transition to check the tyres and pump them up ready. The lake was awesome – I knew I would feel overwhelmed by the size of it, but I was calm and enjoyed the time to get ready slowly

Swim

The count down started, and a voice behind me said, “cr*p, my goggles have just snapped”, sorry mate, I’m in the zone ... the hooter sounded and I was off. Not too much pushing and shoving, but I was in the slowest pen – just concentrate on following the guys in front. The water was not pretty – I’d been warned about the duck poo, but, well – I didn’t swallow even the tiniest bit in this open water swim!! I settled into the best rhythm I could find, using all my letters from my pool sessions F=feel the water, G= glide, H=hips high, not sure I made it through the full alphabet. What joy to get to the big orange buoy – the swimmers bunched up a bit here, which made me feel part of the race again. On the way back I started drafting a bit more. One was swimming all over the place, so I left him to it and hitched a lift with another swimmer almost the entire way back. Thanks, mate – and I’m sorry if I put you off your stroke keep catching your feet.

Out in 1:35 and thrilled with my 6 min PB. Great too to my friends and family cheering me on with such enthusiasm.

• T1

Quick change and out, I thought – until I found my bike with a flat tyre. Grrrr – get it together, get it sorted. With some help from a marshal it wasn’t too long before I was back on my way, but frustrated to have lost that good swimming time.

Bike

Once round the lake and then its time for second breakfast – cinnamon and raisin bagel with peanut butter, then off onto the main business of the day. 16 miles and its the pirate feed station. The signs really made me smile, especially, “Tritalk, Pirates do” – this is for me what sport is all about, take on the challenges but remember to enjoy yourself along the way.

A few more miles along the way, and puncture number two. Now my day took a downward turn. The tyre came off ok, and I checked it all over for debris, put the new tube in, but couldn’t get the CO2 pump to work. It looked as though the top of presta valve had broken off inside the pump. It was my last spare and it was broken. Game over. I sat on the side of the road whilst the rest of the field passed by, some making meaningless comments like “Have you got what you need?” hoping my answer would be “yes”, because no one had any intention of stopping, and I didn’t expect them to.

I wondered if my little hand pump might be any good. I didn’t have the strength to pump it up to full pressure, but it might get me a bit further. Success – off once again. Not only that, but the marshal at the next junction had a spare tube – my luck was turning ...

20 more miles down the road and my luck ran out, as did the air in my tyre ... this time the marshal at the junction claimed he couldn’t help and watched as I struggled to get the tyre back on the rim. He relented and helped me get it back on saying the feed station was a mile down the road where they’d have a track pump, so I limped on. Luckily for me there were a couple of pirates lending a hand at this feed station who felt my pain, gave me yet another spare tube, but after noticing the tyre wasn’t on the rim properly turned to plan B and swapped the wheel over for one of Slagiatt's (thank you so, so much – you saved my race).

I was off – again, but this time at the back of the field, cycling strong but battling my mental challenge of seeing everyone finishing the north loop while I hadn’t even started it. My maths was telling me I had time, but it was a lonely ride, and even my food became a chore, not a pleasure. I kept to my eating schedule, though – I was determined to do what I’d planned for as long as I could.

Returning to the south loop for the second time meant another visit to the pirate feed station, and this time my family were there – but Carol’s arm was in a sling, I’ll get that story later. Meeting my friend on the way back was a real boost too, especially when she poured water down my back! This was followed by a fall on a tight gravelly bend, but I was ok so jumped straight back on, knowing I was cycing strong enough and fast enough to beat the cut off with at least 15 minutes to spare. I prepared my “don’t stop me, I’m going to do it” speech every time I saw a race official ... but no need, the miles went by, I stayed strong and positive and made it back to base.

• T2

Quick change and a banana, but a steady walk out of the change tent, wondering what the next stage would bring.

Run

Ha – ‘run’, well it was optimistic at best to plan to run between feed stations (1.3-1.9 miles apart). I ran to the first feed station, but then fell apart – I couldn’t even stand upright, and I couldn’t face anything other than water, and yet I knew I needed to eat ... I didn’t even know what to ask for, so had a few crisps and then hobbled on a bit further. It was all going very, very wrong. I wasn’t well and this wasn’t going to be remotely fast enough, even with 7 hours to play with ... I found a few lady pirates (thanks Mrs SA and others) and confided my worries. Fraggle gave me a hug and they all said I had loads of time. I thought “its not time, I need, its strength and energy and a belief that I can even get round the lake again.”

I knew I was finished, but just wasn’t sure what would happen next. Every time a medic went by I longed to be spotted as suffering from heat exhaustion, or something and get pulled, but they all seemed to be heading off to see someone else. I couldn’t work out when to quit. I decided I wasn’t going to quit, but wondered how long before they’d realise I wasn’t going to make the cut off and pull me from the race. How far could I run and not feel bad about collecting my sponsor money? More than 4 miles, definitely, so keep going ...

I changed my strategy to run a mile, walk a minute, take whatever time is needed at the feed stations, and see I could average 15 min/miles. This would be enough to beat the cut off, with a buffer at the end for falling apart even more. This seemed to be manageable., so I kept going a bit more, aiming this time to at least do 10 miles, this, would be enough to collapse, but still collect my sponsor money with a bit of respect. I changed this plan to a half marathon ...

... I was doing better than 15 min/miles so each mile was creating a more of a buffer later on. I was doing lots of sums and starting to wonder whether a finish might be possible. Then I met my friend at the feed station, and after a hug and cold drink continued on, with a bit more confidence.

Passing the pirate posse near the finish chute as I passed it by for yet another lap more than made up for the drain of hearing “You are an Outlaw” time after time for those already finishing. Loads of cheers were for me – I punched the air and kept going.

On the second long lap I met my good friend again, and chatting about this and that made the miles drift by until my maths was telling me I could now actually walk the remaining 6 miles and still finish in time. The pressure was off, I was going to finish. I ran a bit more ... and then a bit more ...

... and then Flot Footed and Slag came to meet me to bring me in ... what a wonderful bunch these people are!

And so to the finish line – 16 hours and 21 minutes later I had a quick hug from Carol and my dad, and then pushed my son across the finish line. As the last pirate home it was a hero’s welcome – I felt like I’d won, and I guess in a way, I had. 

• looked like a winner to me when I saw you finishimage, after reading that report of the bike ride from hell that was one hell of an effort!

great to meet you , see you again before next year when am sure you will have unfinished business with your bike if nothing else, swap it for another one!

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

Blimey - that sounds like all of my worst nightmares rolled into one - so well done on finishing Britrisky

• Great report Britrisky.  Well done for battling through and finishing, despite the tyre gods seemingly being against you!

• Britrisky...brillinat report...to keep going after so much stress and problems.....showas how strong you are.a well deserved medal that was hard earned......

Honk.you were one of the few people who seemed to be strong on the run..wel done mate

• Stanners.....you always looked strong.great time

K9.......I always knew if you could balance the training and rest and arrive tapered then you would smash the Ironman......21st woman home  and 4th in your catergory in your first one.well done

Blue Peter........milking thge finish is one part of the training most of us neglect...image

Darkness........You will have to do another one now so that you can get the family photo..amazing time

Iron Ripley......don't blame me for that bad habit....I bet your transition bag smelt when you went to pick it up ....image

• The Day Before

Arrived at the expo at midday and spoke briefly to Britrisky (recognisable with pirate top and son with broken leg). On to register and the enormity of what I had signed up for really hit me. Horrible lunch and off for briefin. Half way through thought about the bike in the boiling car and husband went to open some windows. Afterwards, racked the bike and 3 bags and went to hotel. Uneventful evening but it was so hot and noisy I couldn't sleep well. Up at 4, down for breakfast that tasted like cardboard and briefly met Mellifera who was doing the bike part in a relay.

• Britrisky, brilliant report image

Hope Carol's ok

Sorry I had my back turned when you came through the southern loop out and back bit, I was particularly looking out for the last pirates and had spent my time looking both ways doing my best impression of an owl but you caught me off-guard.

• Amazing mental strength and fortitude Britrisky - well done!

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • The Swim

Met Mrs SA and Jordy and SA briefly whilst milling about. (Thankyou sooo much for the loan of the monaco. It really gets you noticedimage) When I went to put my clothes in my kit bag it wasn't there. Not a good start wondering where it was and if I'd really put it there or not. Changed into wetsuit and off to the start line. With earplugs in I couldn't totally hear everything and when the klaxon went off I was sitting on my butt in 6" of water.Had to scramble about before I could get up and get in the water properlyimage Started at the back of pen 1 wanting to stick to the left side but there were just so many people. Got bashed either side of the head. Was very frustrated and had to keep standing up and walking. Couldn't get into a rhythm until about 750m. Other than that all was ok. Had 2 pee stops in the water. One lasted about 5 minsimage but it's difficult to concentrate and pee at the same time.

Out of the swim in 1h 33

The Bike

Took 10 mins in transition which for me I thought was quite good. Ran off to my bike. Definitely not as many there as there were at 6am!! On to the bike and off I went. I was quite emotional on that first lap round the lake and was holding back tears (happy ones though) out on to the road where I saw my husband and off for the longest ride of my life. The amount of people at Car Coulsdon surprised me. Pirates were here as well rushing over to the side of the road the minute they saw the famous yellow and black tops. As others have said, the pirate feed station was brilliant, the signs, the jokes, the support. Absolutely brilliant. Round to feed no.2 and the pirates had infiltratedimage I stopped at the top of Oxton bank for the toilet and to put more suncream on. For some unknown reason I thought the timing mat was here at 64miles so when I saw that it was only 50 miles I became quite demoralised. I was never aware of passing another mat but was quite surprised to see another feed station. It put me all out of sync and I found the reat of the bike really tough mentally. I wasn't expecting to feel like that so early on. It's a long time to be on your own thinking things. Got back to the southern loop to more people at car coulsdon, the fabulous pirate feed station but that last one, where had it gone? someone had moved it further on. By the time I got there I didn't know what to do with my feet. They were so uncomfortable stuck in one position. Anyway stopped for a toilet stop and thanks Trogs very much for topping my 2 bottles up with what I wanted and holding my bike up for me to get back on. And forgot who it was but thanks for the squirt with water. I seemed to be re-energised after that and powered off(well for about 5 mins) I was very grateful to get to the end. Saw my husband waving his flag as I turned in for the last bit in. Was so very glad to get off that bike. Had eaten most of my food and gone through about 7 bottles.

Oh and did I mention how hot it wasimage

Bike 7h 10 min

•  Outlaw 2013

My last single Ironman race was the DNF in Wales sept 2011 missing the final bike cut-off by 10 mins….was gutted……..

But went away determined to work on the bike…..

So entering Outlaw 2013 I got myself a mentor to help……..gave me loads of advise and help on the ways to work with Heart rate and keep the winter stuff slow and easy……This really really helped me focus through the winter months getting some regular training in and getting stronger…..

Unfortunately my attention span for doing anything regularly lived up to its reputation and after about 3 months I became a crap mentee……

I changed to the doing long bikes the occasional swim and some running when I could as tiredness took over as always happens with me……….but I kept cycling and did some 10 mile TT races and did a number of rides with a cycling club.

I managed loads of long rides……at least 7 or 8 century rides since Christmas and 4 rides of over 120 miles…..without fading at the end……I knew I had the endurance .not sure of the speed….

Had two half races….the DIY one and the enduroman one and managed to average 15.9 mph on the bike on both which was fast for me..I was pleased but could I keep that pace up for the whole distance at Outlaw…..the halves were much hillier than the outlaw would be so hopefully…..

• Race Day

Had my best sleep in months and months…..must have been the calming influence of Mr and Mrs Funkin who were sharing my tent for the night…..I need to book them for next year.woke up and decided that instead of trying to force porridge down me at that time .I would do my long bike routine of sausage and bacon and mushroom sandwiches…….managed 2 sausages, 2 bacon ,… 3 slices of bread and a pile of mushrooms washed down by a banana milkshake and  a can of pepsi max……worth trying something new for race day J

Was surprising calm and just kept moving on……all great until heading for the water when I realised I had 2 left earplugs…..no problem as I had time to get back to my transition bags…

Swim went on for hours…no problems….lots of bodies .lots of knocks but no painful punches or  kicks…….turned back and had done 45 mins.would have liked more but it never is….thought I would try and speed up on the way back but shouldn’t have bothered as everytime I went faster I lost my direction and ended up chatting to the canoe guy……..

Swim 1:30:59….I can settle for that….

• T1…..drank my coke to settle the stomach and got dressed…nothing much to put on in such hot weather…already in tri kit and calf guards…..( another try something new for race day)…..watch and HY already on….so quick for me at 8:14….

Bike

I got caught very quickly by SA and we played cat and mouse discussing the merits of peoples arses for a few miles…..I didn’t know the course and never cycled on the flat…..didn’t know what speed to do but I wanted to average 16 mph…..

I was cycling easy. it was fun and I was enjoying myself..but was going at about 18 mph……oh dear.should I slow down to avoid bonking or carry on as it felt easy…….

Through the first pirate feed station where Raf tried to get ion the way of my bottle ….I was going to use more gels than normal. I had 12 of the iosgels with caffeine in them in my aero bottle…….

I loved the bike even though it was hot.,if I kept moving I could create a small breeze…….I kept overtaking people.including a few with disk wheels and pointy helmets sitting on their tribars……….WTF is that about….all that gear and I manage to poodle past them with a smile………

Anyway miles just flew by.got back to the pirate station at mile 80 and I was still averaging 18 mph………felt good but the heat was bouncing of the road and everyone was starting to suffer.,…my speed started to drop but I was still overtaking people and apart form feeling a little spaced out form all the gels.felt fine……..great to get to the finish and had an amazing average of 17.7 mph…..I felt really strong and my mind was working that I could even beat my A target of 13:30….My legs felt strong…..

Total bike 6:23:32……….no missing the cutoffs for me this year.,.

•  

T2 can’t remember anything but it took me 6:02 so I must have done the right things…..

Run………I hate running in the heat run in shorts and vest in winter.in snow….in the night……on the mountains in rain……..I am hot chick when running…..

So I was prepared.i had 4 sponges in T2 that I carried with me to the first aid station……dunked them in water and placed them around my body.felt brilliant…..ran off with a smile……but within 5 mins they had dried off and I was overheating again……when I overheat my body shuts down……..I ran/walked to the next feed station and soaked them again…..could run well again until they dried off……

After the 6 miles of the lake I had realised that in this heat my a target and B target had gone…..I would not be able to go fast enough……I wasted 5 mins on each feed station soaking my sponges and drinking water…and then could only run until the sponges dried off…..by mile 11 I was in a dark place….all that work and I was not going to et a good time.my legs felt fine.no major stomach problems but a bit of bloating….but the heat was shutting my brain down…….

Had a great hug from lil sis despite the fact I was stinking and soaking……went past the pirate support near the finish…..and then promptly went and sat in the lake outside the transition tents…….it took a lot of effort to get myself out of that lake……but I then ran around it and back onto the second loop to the city…….on this stretch I met up with pingu who was walking the rest as she had stomach problems….and I realised that if I walked the rest I would still get a PB and I would not be torturing myself and doing any damage……( or risk DNF’ing with heat stroke)….

So the last 10 miles were actually fun and enjoyable.i would still wet my sponges at the feed stations and then run to catch up with her…….

We finished with a smile and were pleased to know we had done a pebble….the pirate famous for having a run split slower than his bike splits….

Run

6:25:39

Total 14:34:23

A big PB and within 24 hours my decision to have a year of triathlon had changed and I will be back at the outlaw to get my sub 13:30.I know its within my capabilities…..

Great to meet so many pirates new and old…..

• Yay Seren - congratulations on the PB! You knew what you needed to do and you damn well went and did it image

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • K9K9 ✭✭✭

Awesome Seren - great Biking - nowhere near the cut offs! The heat definitely affected most people on the run - sounds like it affected you more than most - I love that you got in the lake. I must say, the thought entered my head - I thought about swimming the last bit to the finish line!!....on a cool day you would have smashed your PB by a long wayimage

• K9K9 ✭✭✭

Or should I say - smashed your PB by an even longer way?!image

• The Run

Did I say run? The winner passed me when I was near the end of the lake on my first lap. How fantastic I thought. I would be able to hear all the cheering for him as I passed the finishers chute. Unfortunately, my legs had taken me by surprise, and weren't going according to plan. He was long gone and I never heard anything but I did get my own cheers from the pirates in the grandstand. Fabulous job you were doing. Second lap, saw my husband and then got passed by, and then passed Razor and Horse and then first female, but same again, she was going quicker than me so the cheering for her had stopped by the time I got there. So had I! I wasn't planning on walking until halfway or more. How naive was that? By mile 3 I couldn't believe that I was walking and all I could think of was how long was this going to take if it's this bad already. It was just so phenominally hot. By the time I got to the feedstation at the big board at 6 miles I felt decidedly ill. I looked at all they had to offer but really didn't know what would make me feel better so I took quite a few things and hung over the railings for a while. As nobody rescued me I decided to walk on and get on with it. Round the corner and met my husband again and asked him to walk with me. Passed the photographer so had our photo taken together and off I trotted. I got into a rythym of what I needed at the feedstations and did lots of maths in my head. As I went under the bridge before the suspension bridge I felt really bad again and needed the loo but didn't dare run to get there quicker. That was my longest mile and the worst bit. Didn't like the camber of the path. It's really difficult to pick out which bit hurt the most but the soles of my feet were suffering more than my quads I think. Passed loads of pirates on the way round and said hi or high 5'ed them all but don't know all their names. Passed Razor and Horse again going in the opposite direction who felt I should have started to run when I saw themimage Ran and walked a lot with some guy from some tri club. He said you pirates are everywhere. There's loads of you. The run became a mental game of "well I'll run to the feed station, or I'll run til my watch beeps the next mile, or that tree". Back round the dreaded lake another walk/run with my husband. He hadn't found my kit bag anywhere so I was resigned to syinking the place out once I finally made it. There was fantastic pirate support by the swim start part of the lake aswell and many others just shouting out go pirate go. Out and back. Chatted to another lady pirate at mile 20 who was doing the run as a relay and back towards the lake. Ran and walked again with my husband and had a final hug and kiss and parted to go in opposite directions of the lake. I knew he'd get round before meimage. Went to the toilet before the last feedstation, thanked them all again before deciding that I could run the last mile home. How absolutely amazing was that finish. The red carpet, the massive cheering. I blew my husband a kiss , waved and cheered at all the pirates and ran through that tape. How emotional was that. Am almost in tears just typing that.

Run 6h 10 mins

Total time 15:12:11

The only problem with that? It's so close to beginning with a 14. Never say neverimageimageimage

A massive thanks to one and all. What a brilliant amazing day if not the toughest day of my life.

• Hello Pirates, one from 'the other place' here.

Just wanted to say you lot are alright really. Particularly the bunch I chatted to looking over the swim course on Saturday evening, the bloke who laughed at my shout of  'BananAaaargh!' at your brilliant aid station on the bike and the ladies at the start of the run course who I came clean to about my Tri-Talkness as I shambled past (you had given me a good 'Come on Black Line!' cheer).

Glad to see many of you had memorable days, and for those who didn't I'm sure there will be more to come. You all added to a brilliant atmosphere for my first iron-distance race.

• The reports are brilliant, well done to all of you on what was a killer day, hope it cools down for IMUK!!

• i had to have a look at the times for the man and woman who were together from the same triclub..........every singlke split was within 3 seconds of each other.....

when i saw them on the bike she was drafting blatenlty off the guy.........by the looks of all their times he deliberatley drafted her on the swim and the bike and then ran with her the whole way........

they weren't just together for a few minutes having a chat..........he did the whole ironman for her....WTF is that about......