Outlaw 2013

Comments

• well 2013 was my year off long distance

Outlaw had sold out, not sure what I wanted to do.

Then OSB release an extra 100 places, what was I even doing reading the thread?

Entered

10 days before the event and as STIL says I had a "granny fall"

touch and go about still competing, was given a 50/50 chance of being at the start line

Got out of work early on the Friday, drove down to HPP and registered

Meet loads of pirates, friends old and new.

Swim 1.30

started at the back of pen , bit disappointed with my time as had done 1.22 at Wales last year, some bloke stops swimming after 100 metres stands up and turns round, I catch him full on the chin with my fist, thought I had broken my hand.

T1 9 minutes

Thats slow for me

Bike 6:36

Loved the bike, played cat mouse with Seren until Oxton Bank, loved the pirate feed station awesome as always. My neck was starting to give me some real grief.

Got of the bike and wanted to stop but in T2

T2 6 mins

Matt7755 wonders over and says great your here you can help me get round the run, that and the fact that Jordy wanted a medal to take to college are the only reasons I went for the run.

Run 6:44

Got a "pebble" award, loved high 5 ing the pirates still out on the course but basically power walked 95% of the run because it was so fecking hot.

Made Matt go down the chute before me so I could collect Jordy and run the finish, which I have to say was as awesome as ever.

Quick bite of food, then unfortunately had to shoot as had to drive home.

Massive respect to all the first timers that completed, comiserations to those that didn't, come back stronger.

• Run

Set off slow and tried to get some banter going with the other runner’s quickly became clear wasn’t going to pb it and while I had taken on lot’s of water was to hot and also to unfit so was in trouble. On the second loop Pixie joined me for a few miles run which was very nice and also was able to get a water bottle of her which probably saved my race. Loop three was just a case of survival and didn’t even have anything in the tank to cheers on that many people. I’d been chatting to the lady who finished last throughout and both her and the lad running with her where brilliant people with their own stories to tell. If they are lurking don’t be shy. At the end of the loop there was a ice cream van and very tempted to ask Sarah for some change for the last loop. Got back to end of the loop and made sure I ran past the stand just in case they were tempted to pull me off.

Headed out for the last time and bricked it when a marshal on a MTB started riding next to me on his phone. Thought this is it they are kicking you off mate well you tried. Had a chat with him and turned out he was just following me to tell the feed stations to start packing up as I went past I could have kissed him.image Had a chat about what minute miles where needed and realised we were both thinking the same thing. Kept going and even managed to run more than I had for the other loops.

Got back towards the finish line and started to really feel the pain I had nothing left to give saw flat footed who started to try and get me going again. After a mile or so Sarah and evil pixie joined me might have been more but I was out of it and in trouble. The three of them tried their best and put up with my swearing. Flat has a very good PT/officer voice when he needs it and I’d hate to get on the wrong side of him if he was doing the day job.  

Finally saw the finish line and just tried to get over it as quick as possible like some sort of zombie. Cheers for all of you for hanging around while I was faffing around on the run and sorry if I was a bit quick getting through was finding it hard not to cry to be honest and didn’t want to lose my street reputation.

Post race

Got a new medal yippee! Plus got to share a civilized drink with some of you lot after and enjoy some single malt. All in all a successful jolly but not one would advise anyone else to do. I hadn’t done the bike miles and I know it. The best thing about races like this is you get to meet folks and make new friends as well as meet old ones afraid with everything on didn’t get a chance to say hello to some of the gang properly but with luck now that a few things have been resolved will be able to get some quality training in over the winter and stuff. Hopefully be talking b*llocks to some of you lot at a long race next year.image

• Cake, was it you who had to be at NEC the next morning? If so I hope you made it and the blister wasnt too bad! Sorry for your loss too. Emotional racing!

• Nope I was the lad eating all the bacon in morrison's mate. Said hello to you just as you where getting past the film crew well done fella you did good in that suit it was f*cking hot. image

• brilliant reports all

SA I didn't see you on the second part of the bike at all.but you could only have been a few minutes behind me the whole way

• You looked good when I saw you on the run Nurse Ratched (I had the dog with the pirate buff on) - wouldn't have guessed it was your first marathon!

Cake - hope you have  amore peaceful time of it from here on in, sounds as though you've had a lot to deal with.

Great debut TB.

Loving reading everyone's reports.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Fab reports. Was amazing to watch you guys and now to know what was going on in your heads. With very little swearing too! Respect to all!

• Your dog was gorgeous Little Miss Happy.

Loving readng all the reports, I was hot in the shade so can't even imagine what it was like on the course!

• Just had an email from OSB saying Outlaw is on channel 4 Sunday 25th August at 07:00image

• Aw great report Cake, and well raced, epsecially after the hellish time you've had of it lately.  I know Booky has had her fair share of crap too, so respect to both of you.  You are an awesome couple image

Glad you made it too SA, though I had not doubt you'd manage to get round.  I only wish my walking was a bit quicker or i'd have tagged on to you and Matt.  Next time i'm bringing a bungee cord and a pair of Healies image

• Awesome report Nursey (took your time there  image), I think I may have had something in my eye when I read it....imageimage

• if you put in the info to find more images on the outlaw thread it gives some interesting answers.....

I put in yelloe hat , yellowtop and yellow shorts and clicked female...........and it brings up two piccies.one of which is a male pirate............maybe he shlould win the mincing award image

• I think so In the Blue image Did we meet?

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • So many inspirational reports. Thanks for writing them.

Lee - I struggle with fingers swelling. I found this link quite interesting though.

lhttp://healthyliving.msn.com/diseases/heart-and-cardiovascular/why-do-my-hands-swell-up-when-i-walk-1

• Thanks Soupy, interesting article image

• mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

brilliant reports everyone, it is so interesting to know what was going through your heads and how the day panned out for you all, 

being part of the pirate posse near the finish line was great - every time a pirate came into sight up we got and started cheeringimage it was great to be part of that

I suffer from the swollen hands things when it is hot - they get really painful but I am pretty sure it is nothing to worry about, it is just annoying

• im not used to running in the sun as I only started running in Sept and we dont get as much sun as rain in South Wales. Hopefully the hills should be ok as we have a few of those.

just found this .it was my third ever post on RW back in 2005.....looks like nothing has changed much in 7/8 years...........Im still not used to running in the sun

• Have seen my dazzlingly glamourous run photos, but do we get to see the pics which were taken on the bike?

• you have to search a bit for those .look at your splits etc.because the numbers are on the back they cannot allocate them........there is a bike search.i do like videos as well....me dragging myself out of the wetsuit

• They should use front numbers tabs too then, like sportives image

save me the hassle of trawling through. Especially when they want the prices they want!

• I think that is why they gave out a helmet sticker - depends how prominently you placed it?

I for one would not stick a stupid big bit of card with a number on, on the front of my tri bike just so they can sell me a photo!

• Or I could be talking nonsense and the helmet sticker is just in case your helmet got lost in transition.

• Half_PintHalf_Pint ✭✭✭

I did it. 12:51

thank you all the pirates, especially the guy at the end of the feed station offering pints of Guinness! 

I also wanted to say a massive thank you to the pirates, you were the people that many years ago convinced me that "normal" ( it's all relative) people could do ironmans. After lurking in here you sewed the seed that led to the outlaw. Without you lot I would be much richer, with healthier knees but less of a person. 

It sounds daft but having an environment where you can ask mental questions like "what happens when you need a poo" really helped. Cheers everyone

• Loving the reports, well done everyone.

• IronbawsIronbaws ✭✭✭
    seren nos wrote (see)

Stanners.....you always looked strong.great time

K9.......I always knew if you could balance the training and rest and arrive tapered then you would smash the Ironman......21st woman home  and 4th in your catergory in your first one.well done

Blue Peter........milking thge finish is one part of the training most of us neglect...image

Darkness........You will have to do another one now so that you can get the family photo..amazing time

Iron Ripley......don't blame me for that bad habit....I bet your transition bag smelt when you went to pick it up ....image

Too right Seren, that towel went in the bin soon after I collected my bag image Just thinking, this could be inspiration for a new item of Pirate kit: a Pirate piss towel...

• Being Yellow you could use it for ages before you had to wash itimage

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

That was a conversation killer!

Great reports everyone - I'm itching to do it again now!!

• http://media.marathon-photos.com/photos/Sports/CPUK/2013/Outlaw%20Triathlon/fullsize/AUTC0897.jpeg

just to prove I know what tri bars a forimage

• I'm still on such a high from Sunday, but I'm also feeling a wee bit lost. Sure it'll pass when I get back to training, but it does feel odd now that the thing I spent so long working towards has passed