Gatorade Half IM UK

Comments

• Jose.Jose. ✭✭✭
    i took notice of the advice, thanks
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Well done all who took part yesterday. The weather was nice for you, which must have been a bonus.

• JjJj ✭✭✭
    boinged for Daz's return...
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    (just got my D sorted out in time!)
  • Wild will-

As I went to get out of the lake, I reached forward to where the guys were helping people out, and over reached- and my right shoulder dislocated!

I have dislocated my arm before- during an adventure race when shimmying over a rope over a river.

I knew exactly what had happened and went straight over to the medics, who after locating my other half then tried to put my arm back in place- if they had manged it I would have saved myself a trip to the hospital and there is a 10% chance I could have continued.

Still they could get it in despite several attempts and a lot of shouting and kicking from me and I had toi go to A&E where they put me out and appently it still three of them to get the shoukder back together- I am only 5'6 and 60kgs!!

So I have a lot to think about beofre next season

The good news was that I had done a pb for the swim in around 33 mins and even better I didnt feel dizzy! (even though I had done in my practice swim the day before!)
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    Ooh Caspar, you poor old thing! Have you considered the op to strengthen your 'little weakness'? I have a friend who wishes he'd had it done years ago.
  • DazDaz ✭✭✭
    Hi Guys,

Well done to all those that took part. Caspar, I winced when I just read what happened to your arm. Ooof!

Anyways, I had quite an eventful race/experience too. Thoroughly enjoyed it (I guess), although did suffer my own kind of pain.

I dont know what time I did the swim in but didnt think much of it. I started near to the front in the middle and just got battered all the way through. Last few hundred metres I finally had a bit of clear space. I pulled the first guy who tried to help me out into the lake! (lol). Not intentional, he was just a bit weak and slipped on the rubber, ha! Anyway one of the others got me out.

In the tent/T1 struggled bit with my shoes. I changed in corner next to marshall who helped me out.

Got on the bike and started to build my speed up. Met up with Rich and exchanged a few words. But how they could penalise Jonathan (twice!) for drafting I have no idea, unless he was physically attached by a chord to someone in front! It was impossible NOT to. I did try and keep my own space for the whole distance but with 10miles to go I was really struggling, and gutted to see groups of people drafting by :O( Must have done around 2:35.

Ran (well sort of stumble/dived) into the tent for T2 and wasted a bit of time undoing laces and putting socks on (dont ask....i thought I had everything covered!).

Then the worst moment I've ever had. My back was absolutely killing me. I could barely shuffle. When got to first hill I could hardly walk and decided to take a quick pee-break. Think Rich prob passed me somewhere around this point on his surge.
    At the 2mile marker I looked at my watch and I was just under 20mins. I then stopped and thought it through. Literally almost in tears cos of the adrenalin and having come such a long way and seeing everyone pass me, but couldnt move. Anyway started tentatively, and found I could soon run at same pace as those around me. Then I got faster and before I knew it I was running close to 6mins/mile which is my normal 10k run pace.

Noticed rich and a couple of other friends on the run, great that they had two-way stretches to see each other and offer encouragement. Passed rich with a few hundred metres to go (didnt know what to say - I though "gotcha you git!" or "you're shit ahhhhh!" or "show me the money!" wouldnt have gone down too well with him at the time. finished around 3:44:55

wicked race, and def up for another next year!
    Endurance Coach @ DazCarterFitness.com
    Elite Ironman, Ultra Trail Runner
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    3:44:55????

That would undoubtedly have got you to Hawaii, surely! ;o)
  • well done Daz - especially the run - that must have been painful
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Quite an experience there Daz! Well done and glad your back eased up to let you finish and finsih well by the looks of it!
  • DazDaz ✭✭✭
    im not too sure of the distances - the bike and run may have been a little short. but was amazed at the standard. seemed to be a lot of people ahead of me i thought.
    4:44 last year would have been v good, but may just be average this year.
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    (((((((daz))))))))

:o)
  • still an awesome performance though - well done mate!
  • Well done Dazzler, nice one!!! Is your back OK now?
  • JulieJoo

I have had conflicting views on the operation- none have been 100% convincing that all my probs would be solved

any further info would be appreciated

last year I spent 2 months in rehab physio strengthening up rotator cuffs which hold the socket together and things seemed to be stronger and more stable than before- although it did take 5 months before I could swim.

when my arm popped out this weekend it was in very innocent circumstances- i mean if someoe had yanked my arm out during the swim then fair enough but I was just reaching out the guy didnt even tug me- it was almost as if the angle a which I held my arm and the weight of the wetsuit was just too much- yet it took several people to put the arm back in- it just doesnt make sense.

• According to britishtriathlon.org Bjorn Andersson won the in 3:51:35, with Richard Allen 2nd and Anyu Blow 3rd
  • DazDaz ✭✭✭
    caspar, is there something you could wear next time over your shoulder, just in case...
    somekind of waterproof support perhaps? they must have something for swimmers.

my back only hurts if i arch it, which is not really required :O) need to work out whats wrong with my bike position thats causing it. dont get it on sprints or oly thank god.

((jj))
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    I just checked last years results, and Daz and RichM would have been in the first 100.

Well *I*'m proud of them!
  • daz - could be you were gearing too high as well??? that often gives back probs. maybe you needed to drop this over a longer run and up the cadence
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    In fact I'm proud to know all the peeps here, and my other mates, who were mad and brave enough to do it!

[Jj exudes motherly warmth for a few minutes]
  • DazDaz ✭✭✭
    good point fbf. i was thinking more of my posture, too stretched. i never considered the cadence. thanks.
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    Caspar - I'll ask my chum for details...
  • Daz

I'll check out about the support

funnily enough though in my practice swim I was thinking how snuggly my wetsuit was keeping my arm in place

tempting fate I think!

jj- that would be appreciated
  • Sorry to hear about the shoulder Caspar - sounds like the last thing you want to happen on the day!

Daz - very impressed by you recovery - that was awesome to get back into it like that - congratulations! Also thanks for the support with the drafting thing - I was shocked as I was on a high after finishing my first long tri and an official called me over and told me that I would be penalised for drafting! I thought that was pretty bad but everyone told me to ignore it which is very reassurring to hear other competitors backing me up.
  • Casper - after I broke my collarbone and went back to playing sport I had lost so much muscle in my shoulder that I ran a high risk of dislocating my shoulder (my arm was nearly sitting out of the socket). I did a lot of excerises, which I am sure you have done, but I also had my shoulder strapped in place, just in case. It was a bit restrictive and probably by the end, purely for pschological reasons, but it did help in the initial stages and helped to re-train my arm / shoulder as to how it is meant to sit. You probably have been through all that already, but it is worth thinking about for peace of mind in future...
  • unfortunately rotator cuff problems can take years to resolve themselves - if they ever do. sometimes surgery has to to be resorted to but that is very expensive and last resort and tends to be the preserve of the top athletes (believe Iain Balshaw, England rugby player has had this done recently).
  • DazDaz ✭✭✭
    Jonathan, how did they penalise you?
  • Spans

How was it strapped in? strapping tape or something like the knee straps people have after skiiing injuries?
  • Daz, I believe they took away his post-race Mars Bar and confiscated his tiger-print tri suit. Poor Jonnie.