Gatorade Half IM UK

Comments

• jasper - there are a variety of shoulder straps available, inclduing neoprene ones. check with a physio.
  • Casper - they used strapping tape, don't know how great that would be in the water though, although if they use a fixative spray as well it should be okay. I have seen neoprene shoulder straps on the market before now, but again they could be very restrictive...

LOL DrN!!
  • Daz and co - they told me that I would have 4 minutes added to time but they would not disqualify me !!!

I was expecting a pat on the back so slightly surprised by their tact !

Nic - I did not have a Mars bar but I did look like a true pro by ignoring these fancy gels and selotaping wine gums to my bike, yum, yum !
  • DazDaz ✭✭✭
    jonathan, maybe you could have claimed bad hearing and held on to the motorbike as they shouted it to you :O)
    Endurance Coach @ DazCarterFitness.com
    Elite Ironman, Ultra Trail Runner
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    Caspar - if it's rotator cuff, there are specific Pilates exercise targeted at it. They all have silly names, so bear with me - the one you want, that helped me immeasurably (from being in tearful agony for six months - yes tough ol' me) is called the Dumb Waiter.

I don't know if it's in any of the books, but I'll do a scoot around...
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    ((((Jonathan))))

[pats King Size Mars Bar *and* a big pack of winegums towards the poor lamb]
  • I've just checked the dumb waiter and it is very similar to an xercise I did last time (although with physio elastic band)

Thanks a lot
  • 5:04 off very little training.
    Swim was frantic - had a really bad time and got battered.38mins :o(
    Injured right shoulder in the process!
    Bike OK - nearly got knocked off when a horse bolted from a field.
    -bike split 2:49 ish.
    Run in 1:26 feeling like sh*te and finished throwing up over the line- can't wait for the photo!
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    Ooooh! Another hero for my collection! :
    :o)

Well done CI - shoulders seem to have been under strain this year.
  • I was on the Ironcrew on Sat and Sun. I was one of the wet ones oiking you lot out the lake - sorry to hear about your shoulder Casper - hope it's OK. (It wasn't me!)

I thought it seemed to go well and I'm pleased there are no big criticisms from you guys, as we in the West Country want it back next year.

Still think you're all mad as F**K though...
  • [Delurks]

Can't say enough about how good the organisation was this year - thanks to Octopus and all the ironcrew for putting together a fantastic weekend at a truely great venue for triathlon. If there is any justice in the world, Ironman UK deserves to become established as one of the UK's premier sporting events - up there with FLM and the like. Congratulations to everyone who took part - competitors, helpers, supporters and spectators.

....and if you thought we were mad this year, most people I spoke to after the race were hoping the organisers will get WTC permission to run the event as a full ironman event next year.

• JjJj ✭✭✭
    Caspar

My bud with the sorely shoulder had this to say:

"My shoulder dislocated about seven times over 17 years and could not be put back without a general anaesthetic each time. The op was very successful for me.

I would suggest he sees a consultant as the likely success of the op very much depends on frequency/severity of dislocations, age, lifestyle, physical condition, health history etc and carries a risk of restricted movement and arthritis.

Hope this helps - he has my sympathy (I know how it feels!)"

He has a very macho but neat scar, and can do things he couldn't do before. :o)

[I thought I'd dislocated mine just putting my jimjams on the other night, but that's another story...]

• JJ
    Thanks for the info. Getting to see a consultant may be tricky - the hospital are no help, last time they gave me an appointment 9 months later- obviously be this point my shoulder had (or so I thought) rehabilitated. The hosoital alos had no sympathy for anything self inflicted or leisure related with the view that I should put myself in these situations -

would I go through a GP? or my Physio? (whome I wasnt going to see this time around as I knew the exercises already, but if I needed to I would)

• The criticims that I had of the event were mainly due to the old guys from the rotrary club doing the parking- it was totally unnecessary to charge £1 and make people fill out a gift aid form every time they entered the parking lot.

This slowed things down and annoyed you having to find change- I went through this process 5 times

I didnt mind donating the cash- but would have prefeered to have bought a pass and filled out 1 form!

This problem then escalted on the day when there was an hour long queue waiting to get into sherbourne. I waited 35 mintues before jumping out of the car and walking the final 20 min walk. And there were plenty of competitors behind me.

My other half finally parked arounf 7.10. So if the race had not been delayed due to fog then it would have had to be delayed due to the traffic.

• JjJj ✭✭✭
    Oh ((Caspar)) - bl**dy hospitals and feckin' pompous, short-sighted dox who want us to be fit and healthy and then sneer at us when we try (and I'm sure the running medics around here would agree!).

You'll just have to develop a hide like a rhinocerous and keep pushing. When you do find a doc or physio to support you, hang on to them for dear life!

Waiting lists are a fact of life though, so stick the appointment in your diary and go, regardless of how your shoulder is at the time.

Is there any way you can find the cash to have a private consultation? I once had six months of physio (I was stretched twice a week on a rack and grew an inch!) courtesy of Barclaycard!
  • JJ - you should have just paid the credit card bill. Very vindictive these companies I find.
  • I'm going to seek advice from my physios before who were very good - just expensive and didnt want to go along to do the exercises they have already taught me- if you know what I mean

they can probably put me in touch with a consultant.

thanks for all your support
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    lol Cougie!

Caspar - good luck, matey! :o)
  • We did get a bit of flack on the day for the parking problems - someone suggested rounding off the entry fee to £200 and giving the extra £5 to the Rotary Club.

Food was another issue i.e. there was none of it, bar burgers and chips.

Some people were concerned about whether the transition system with the red and blue bags would work, but I hear it seemed to work OK.

I'm just a monkey, but I'm sure the organ grinders at Ironman will be glad to hear of any improvements for next time.

And yes, wouldn't it be great to see a full Ironman (as long as I'm not taking part.)
  • Jose.Jose. ✭✭✭
    stick it to half please (i'm considering to have a go, if it's full i couldn't) or

maybe do a half and a full.

half on saturday and full on sunday
  • £5 to the roatry club would have been fine- no one was concerned about the donation side of things- it was just one extra thing to have to worry about.

It would have been nice if they were better briefed about the event as well. I had to try and find the guys from Champion Chip at one point and none of the three rotary club members had heard of them- not what I needed at 6.30 am!

The transistion side of things seemed to work well although I didnt quite make that far in this event
  • £5 to the rotary club would have been fine- no one was concerned about the donation side of things- it was just one extra thing to have to worry about.

It would have been nice if they were better briefed about the event as well. I had to try and find the guys from Champion Chip at one point and none of the three rotary club members had heard of them- not what I needed at 6.30 am!

The transistion side of things seemed to work well although I didnt quite make that far in this event
  • So Octopus,

Do you know anything about the delay in the results. My husband did 4:31, dead chuffed, but he would like to know where he was in his age group.

My only complaint is the food available on the day and day before. The day before the race and only the burger van was open, not the best pre-race food. The queues were horrific. My disabled mother-in-law also had a nightmare with the carparking, but there you go, that will never change.
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    :o( No they're not.
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    :o)
    Oh yes they are!!
  • Cheers, just realised when got back from lunch. My husband did wonder whether everyone had been disqualified due to all the drafting going on!!
  • I heard reports of lots of drafting but I thought everyone was pretty good about it, I saw much worse at Windsor with packs of thirty or forty cyclists blatantly working together. Obviously it was crowded but no blatant cheating that I saw, but a couple of guys who did sub 2.30 bike times said it was much worse up there.

Belated thanks to Octopus and rest of the crew for a fantastic day, much appreciate the hard work that goes into it.

Well, my goal at the start of the day had been to get one of the top 250 embroidered caps, but I came 252nd! Daz came 249th but I have a feeling the caps had run out by then... a couple of guys I know who came in before him didn't get them either.

Daz, our times are spookily similar. I beat you by a minute on the swim and you were about a minute and a half quicker combined on the run and the bike.

That's probably it for me this season, back to running now, so I'll have to wait a few months to get my own back.