Sweaty Bodies

Comments

• Does anyone know if this is something that can change through life? I am currently the sweatiest runner in Ireland I think, but a couple of years ago I can't remember ever noticing it. Now I have to wring my shorts after hard sessions! Mmmm, lovely thought for everyone...
    What's happened to unleash the fluid within me??
  • I too reckon that the fitter you get the more you sweat...I have always sweated a lot but now i'm fitter i'm just drippin...I was rather embarassed at the gym the other day cos i have a long ponytail that swings when i run...I noticed it was flicking sweat all over the place and the man next to me had a little shower...OOOPS...have to wear it in a bun next time
  • My problem - apart from my winter kit weighing about 400gramms when it goes on and about 3 kilos when it comes off - is my sweat has started to smell like ammonia. A very unpleasant cats wee smell, I'm hoping its a reaction to the washing powder and not my kidney's dissolving.
    Keep shuffling friends.
  • Hi there,

god, I am sooo glad that I'm not the only all-year 'round 'Sweaty Betty'. Even in winter my kit gets drenched. I agree with the cap thing and as the cold weather has set in I've started wearing a thin woollen hat which seems to absorb some of the moisture. However after about half an hour of running the hat gets saturated and I'm back to square one with sweat in the eyes, running down my face etc....it's nice to know I'm in good company though and don't you just hate the people who go out for miles and come back dry!!?!
  • I've just started with this running malarkey and I'm glad to see that I'm in good company here with the sweat/glow thing. After just a few minutes I'm bright red and after about ten minutes I'm drenched in sweat. I'm glad for the dark evenings so I don't get everyone giving me worried looks as I shuffle past.

At least it looks like I've been doing something but at the moment my shower after a run is taking longer than the run itself!!!
  • Unfortunalty I not only sweat in the gym, but due to the menopause have hot sweats throughout the day and night as well.

It is actually nice to go running and get into a sweat and know it is been well earned and not the fact your body is playing up. I also get quite red after exertion in the gym or running and my face looks a tomato colour for a good hour. The best bit is having a shower afterwards, ah sheer bliss.

One thing I have noticed is that even on warm days, if I cannot shower straight away I chill quickly due to sweat on skin.
  • I think it makes us all look as thouggh we have done lots and lots of hard work!!!! Sweat on !
  • Well this has run and run. I've started to use Helly Hansen tops as a base layer. This has improved the problem, especially as they are black so no sweat is seen. The good news is that the lighter I've become through running the less I seem to sweat. It's in cups rather than buckets now. However, I've lost part of my beer rehydration excuse now. SH
  • Does this mean that you're changing from a Shire Horse to a Sweatland Pony then??
  • John, I had a problem with my sweat smelling for a couple weeks when I was loosing weight. I read some place that it was from the toxins stored in the fat I was burning.

As for sweating, after twenty minutes of moderate running, there isn't a dry patch on my T-shirt anywhere to be found. Oddly enough though, I rarely find more than a couple drops of sweat on my treadmill (but still whipe it down for the next guy).
  • Beanz52Beanz52 ✭✭✭
    Only just found tis thread, but it has made me feel a whole lot better. I am another of the heavy sweaters - and turn beetroot red.
    It has been better since I started wearing technical t-shirts - I sweat as much but I do not end up with a soggy, heavy cotton t-shirt and therefore do not get the shivers the same when I stop.
    I have to wait ages before showering, otherwise I am still sweating when I get dried.
  • I sweat, but oddly, I'm rather pleased by it as it means I'm working hard (not overly hard of course!).

Don't like the sweaty bra syndrom though - it really sticks when I try to take it off... ick!
  • I sweated some of the colour out of my grey sports bra onto my pale green vest on the run before last. I now have two circular pale grey blobs on the front of the vest (even after 3 washes). Dare I wear it out for a run again?
  • I sweat a lot in the gym

But hardly break sweat when i'm training outside, even at 6 min/mile.
  • Beanz 52 - I'm the same. I like to go to the gym first thing before work, but even when I have a shower as cold as I can bear, my shirt is always soaked as soon as I put it on, despite drying thoroughly & putting talc on. Drives me mad! Tend to use the gym just for the weights now instead - get slightly less sweaty.

Whenever I do any kind of exercise, I sweat like mad. It annoys me sometimes, but generally I don't mind because it proves I've worked hard!
  • Just found this thread
    I am another challenged by a large sweat problem and have just learnt to live with it and the funny looks.
    The vaseline over the eyebrows does stop the salty eye syndrome but the downside is that you end up with rivers running down the sides of your head.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Ditto deadbeat! Even when I walk I break into a sweat! I hate it, my hair gets soaked, I too just live with it. It is embarassing when you just arrive at work on a warm day after say 15 min walk and the boss wants to talk as soon as you get in, I break out!
    Only since I started running have I been like this.
    Good side, I can run whole marathon without a pee break!
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Just found this site, im glad im not the only one. It dont matter what i wear im wringing wet at the end of my run.

Still feels like ive had a good workout when im stretching down and creating my own river on the patio !!!!
  • I've heard that fitter people sweat more because your body is more efficient at getting rid of the excess heat produced by working muscles. Makes me feel better anyway....
  • Hoorah! I thought it was just me. I break a sweat just walking to the Tube in the mornings and sit there getting stared at by the 'ladies who put their mascara on in public' (what's that all about?!)

(Some) other women avoid partnering me for my boxing class at the gym, maybe because they fear they'll catch it or something. I just can't understand how someone can be working hard and not even 'glow'!

On a practical note, I'm yet to find a washing powder that saves my kit from an early pongy death though.
  • I sweat like a piglette !

always have done

fat or thin fit or unfit

and you should try being a goalie and playing summer hockey in these temperatures
    own personal sauna suit !!

i do actually quite like a good hot sweaty workout as i always imagine its flushing out a lot of excess fluid - and sweat itself is clean and doesnt smell - its only when it contacts bacteria or unwashed kit etc, or sweaty foam goalie kit ........

• hi - great thread, I'm another one for the 'pleasantly moist' team - the IT gimp at the rowing club gave us all email IDs, mine is sweaty.mike@...

have you ever measured just how much you *do* sweat? I weighed myself before & after a run last week, I lost over 2.5 litres...

Apparently, of the energy we burn when running, only 20% actually moves us forward while the other 80% generates heat - the body sweats so the evaporation can cool us down a bit.

• hey i sweat so bad that i could mop my floor with it. btw does sweating a lot limit you to smaller runs in the heat.
  • course not marine

just keep drinkig little and often
  • I sweat tons which causes me some embarassment - especially if it happens when I'm only walking!!L.O.L. I've been told it's something genetic that can't be altered but also that excessive sweating can diminish your body's iron reserves, and other minerals. That is a problem because low iron can be a cause of tiredness.

• I was a "don't sweat much for a fat lass" type when I started, but I used to overheat horribly. I think plodding taught my body to cool itself. I still go puce though! Problem is, once I've started I can't stop. If I plod before work, I can be cooled down and showered, but the gentle walk to the station will start me "glowing" again and leave me dabbing off the perspiration with a tissue while all the onlookers are staggered at how unfit I am.
  • not quite sure why someone please tell me why when ive had a workout i go every colour from pink to deep red lookinglike i need an ambulance sweating buckets from my neck up to drippy wet hair yet dont sweat anywhere else only a small patch in the small of my back any tips on breathing techniques.
  • Anyone know the answer to this one: I sweat while running, but when I stop it's like a fountain? What's that about?